By oga83

4 years ago

Stats

• 2,467 posts
  • 423 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 569 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 208 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TOMJONES (resized).jpg
ACDC Juke Template (resized).jpg
repo (resized).png
36150 (resized).png
Titans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpg
highscores (resized).jpg
IMAG0520 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170421-180051 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.51.50 PM (resized).png
Ghostbusters (resized).png
batman (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2467 posts in topic. You are on page 42 of 50.
#2051 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

Interesting. If there was an issue with Nyquist frequency sampling (I am familiar with the concept), shouldn't the distortion also be heard in the WAV file which was already resampled to 24kHz?

This is correct but the game format involves a lossy conversion that lowers this frequency (I can't tell how much).
That's why I said "near" the Nyquist frequency and not "above" as it would be without this conversion.

#2052 1 year ago

I did not realize there was a lossy conversion. An anti aliasing filter seems like the next feature to add!

#2053 1 year ago

A low pass at 10KHz with the 48db roll-off seems to take care of most audible problems. There is still some change in the waveform, but nothing audible through the stock lousy Stern speakers.

Thank you for that insight!

#2054 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

I did not realize there was a lossy conversion. An anti aliasing filter seems like the next feature to add!

[EDIT] Pinball-Browser v5.60 has been released
A low-pass filter has been added :
editor_(resized).png

#2055 1 year ago

There were a few people that have complained about distortion. This could very well be the explanation. The more high frequency content is in the sound clip, the more likely one will hear this distortion.

This built in low pass filter did the trick for me. Some trial and error is needed depending on how much high frequency content is in the music. Generally, pick the highest frequency that gives satisfactory results or uncheck the option entirely if you hear no distortion. Note that setting it to 12,000 effectively turns off the filter.

10,000 worked for most of my problematic sounds, but I had one sound clip with very loud high frequency content that needed 9,000.

Thanks to oga83 for this ultra fast root cause analysis and fix release!

#2056 1 year ago

I tried version 5.6, and it is certainly helping with some of the distortion. But when I import this byte into the corresponding script, I get some weird static (almost sounds like static electricity, if that has a sound!) see what you think.

here is a link to one of the original mp3 files. https://app.box.com/s/65u74ghfhltd2f971qsk6clxqxrj70dn

thanks!
tony c

#2057 1 year ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I tried version 5.6, and it is certainly helping with some of the distortion. But when I import this byte into the corresponding script, I get some weird static (almost sounds like static electricity, if that has a sound!) see what you think.

You are trying to import your file into an "undersampled 2x" sound script (0xd5) that only supports a maximum 6kHz-bandwidth (in fact, less due to the game compression).
Importing this sound with a 5kHz low-pass filter does not seem worse to me than the original game callout.

Did you try it on the game ? the amplifier might filter some of the high frequencies that are generated during decompression : the result on the game might be better than with PB (PB does not filter the sound out as it has no way to know how the game amplifier behaves).

#2058 1 year ago

When I try to edit high scores with the latest Metallica code, it works fine from Grand Champion down to 4th Highest altering the scores and initials.

But when I make changes to any of the other score champions, it will only allow one set of initials. It will override any other initials that were entered for any other song/feature champions.

Has anyone else had this issue?

#2059 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

When I try to edit high scores with the latest Metallica code, it works fine from Grand Champion down to 4th Highest altering the scores and initials.
But when I make changes to any of the other score champions, it will only allow one set of initials. It will override any other initials that were entered for any other song/feature champions.
Has anyone else had this issue?

yes- this happened to me a few days ago on TWDLE. kept high scores but all mode scores I typed went bye bye

#2060 1 year ago

Oga83,

that makes sense. I will give that a try on the game and see how it is. the filter absolutely helps! thanks again.

#2061 1 year ago
Quoted from RandomKG:

yes- this happened to me a few days ago on TWDLE. kept high scores but all mode scores I typed went bye bye

So is this a bug?

#2062 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

So is this a bug?

dunno, hoping Oga will chime in

#2063 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

So is this a bug?

No, this is by design and related to an optimization in the firmware :
The firmware is using the same string in memory for all those names (ABC).
Thus, when you modify this "shared" name, all the highscores that use it are also impacted.

In some cases (mainly Messages), Pinball Browser is able to change the pointer itself and relocate the string somewhere else in memory. In this case, the "shared" string is doubled and each instance can then be modified.
Unfortunately, Pinball Browser can't do this for high scores.

BTW, the best way to modify the high scores is to use the communication patch.

#2064 1 year ago

What's the best way to replace animation sequences nowadays? It seems like with the export feature gone, the only real options are to create them on my own or import many different images. Whenever I import an image, there always seems to be some cleanup that needs to be done to the image. So having to import say 20 different images and clean up each one individually would be a ton of work. I've found .png images to be best, but are there any others that come in cleaner?

#2065 1 year ago
Quoted from mozach:

What's the best way to replace animation sequences nowadays?

To modify an existing frame, just use the embedded editor;
To replace an existing frame, you can import your file (best results with a PNG that has the same size than the frame) or use the embedded editor.

1 week later
#2066 1 year ago
Quoted from KenEberhardt:

Any news about Lord of the Ring support ?

How is the sound quality in LOTR ?
Are there many different sound calls in this game ?
I can only get low quality sounds out of the firmware, a lot of explosions but not many speaches...

#2067 1 year ago

Note to myself: take a closer look into this thread.

#2068 1 year ago

Pinball Browser v5.70 now supports LOTR (sounds only)

1 week later
#2069 1 year ago

Now that LOTR support is in there.. anyone working on it?

#2070 1 year ago
Quoted from Cyan:

Now that LOTR support is in there.. anyone working on it?

The sounds in lord of the rings are very good. What's there to do?

#2071 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser v5.70 now supports LOTR (sounds only)

Still unsure how to open the file? Rename the file to u7....
that asked for the other 4 files. Rename them, and then it throws the error 'unknown firmare'

#2072 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Still unsure how to open the file? Rename the file to u7....
that asked for the other 4 files. Rename them, and then it throws the error 'unknown firmare'

My mistake... some code was marked as debug-only, preventing PB from opening Atmel-Whitestar firmwares.
It has been fixed in v5.71

Just open the U7 file (no need to rename it - it just has to contain U7 in its name).
Then, select the other files for U17,U21,U36 and U37 (in most cases, you just have to click on Browse and double-click on the file that has already been filtered by PB).

#2073 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

The sounds in lord of the rings are very good. What's there to do?

Agree. LOTR is okay as it is.

But TSPP, could use some additional call-outs from Marge, Lisa and Millhouse.

With 20+ years of episodes, there's gotta be some relevant sound bites to use.

#2074 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Agree. LOTR is okay as it is.
But TSPP, could use some additional call-outs from Marge, Lisa and Millhouse.
With 20+ years of episodes, there's gotta be some relevant sound bites to use.

Pinball browser doesnt allow you to add additional call-outs. Only to replace ones that are there now.

#2075 1 year ago

Hi oga83, could you try Stern Elvis roms now that you have added support to firmware? It loads no problems but the sounds are terrible, slightly fast, scratchy, not clean at all. I tried lotr and had no problems, playback is clear. Thanks

#2076 1 year ago

Follow up on LOTR comments:
Agree that the sounds on LOTR are really good in terms of using good quotes, sequences from the movies matching the modes, etc.
However, the sound quality is quite bad - but I guess that is due to Stern design and not the sampling quality - right?
So, I should buy new speakers and not hope for any LotR miracles through this great initiative, right!?

#2077 1 year ago

Follow up on LOTR comments:
Agree that the sounds on LOTR are really good in terms of using good quotes, sequences from the movies matching the modes, etc.
However, the sound quality is quite bad - but I guess that is due to Stern design and not the sampling quality - right?
So, I should buy new speakers and not hope for any LotR miracles through this great initiative, right!?

It's due to the sample rate and any new sounds you import have to be converted to the same sample rate. So this program can replace sounds. Not upgrade sound quality.

#2078 1 year ago

#2079 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's due to the sample rate and any new sounds you import have to be converted to the same sample rate. So this program can replace sounds. Not upgrade sound quality.

Thanks for the explanation - as I feared....
However, I see that there is hope with the pinsound board to bring audio-life to LotR!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/14#post-3041866

#2080 1 year ago

Thanks for the explanation - as I feared....
However, I see that there is hope with the pinsound board to bring audio-life to LotR!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/14#post-3041866

Yes. Doesn't support white star

#2081 1 year ago
Quoted from Grg:

Hi oga83, could you try Stern Elvis roms now that you have added support to firmware? It loads no problems but the sounds are terrible, slightly fast, scratchy, not clean at all. I tried lotr and had no problems, playback is clear. Thanks

Yes, I'll try it.
I'd like to see some projects on the Whitestar games that are supported. I've been asked to support T3, LOTR but no one has tested them yet

#2082 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, I'll try it.
I'd like to see some projects on the Whitestar games that are supported. I've been asked to support T3, LOTR but no one has tested them yet

The sounds in those games are great so there's nothing to replace. I think Elvis would be the first one people might jump on. Lots of people love the layout and hate Elvis. Is that supported? Is the display editing also supported on whitestar or just sound rom?

#2083 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes. Doesn't support white star

Whitestar support is coming to Pinsound soon!!!

#2084 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, I'll try it.

More than happy to test it out. Once the sounds play correctly I will promptly burn a new rom and post feedback/results. At the moment however it's near impossible to create or change the sounds as you don't know which sound you are changing due to the poor playback.

2 weeks later
#2085 1 year ago

Oga - I just uploaded 394 bookmarks for POTC, and I have an enhancement request. Can you increase the length of a bookmark from 40 characters to 80? I keep getting truncated versions back from what I sent up.

#2086 1 year ago

Pinball Browser v5.76 now supports games with an Atmel sound board and 16bits sounds like Elvis
It can be downloaded here

#2087 1 year ago
Quoted from Grg:

More than happy to test it out. Once the sounds play correctly I will promptly burn a new rom and post feedback/results. At the moment however it's near impossible to create or change the sounds as you don't know which sound you are changing due to the poor playback.

Please try v5.76 and let me know how it works.

#2088 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Oga - I just uploaded 394 bookmarks for POTC, and I have an enhancement request. Can you increase the length of a bookmark from 40 characters to 80? I keep getting truncated versions back from what I sent up.

I have removed the 40-character limit in v5.76

#2089 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have removed the 40-character limit in v4.76

Thanks! I'll re-upload the longer ones when I get home. It's 5.76 by the way

2 weeks later
#2090 1 year ago

I tried v5.76 today with Elvis with the goal to replace some of the longer sounds that are music tracks with other music tracks (from metal elvis). The interface worked great and when everything was done, I went to save. Several of the files it loaded on the save dialog are in red. It updated a couple files like U17 and U21. But it keeps erroring out with "Cannot save Elvis.u7". I think this might be some sort of catalog that indicates where in other ROMs to find the sound requests. In any event, the sounds cannot be replaced without saving this file. After closing pinball browser and reopening it and loading elvis again, the replaced sounds are mostly back to their original sounds but some are a bit corrupted.

Quoted from thewool:

Whitestar support is coming to Pinsound soon!!!

Not sure what the proper definition of "soon" is, but I have heard this announcement for well over a year. If over a year is considered "soon", by some, then maybe 10 years is also. Who knows?

#2091 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

The interface worked great and when everything was done, I went to save. Several of the files it loaded on the save dialog are in red. It updated a couple files like U17 and U21. But it keeps erroring out with "Cannot save Elvis.u7"

The zip file from Stern has 2 readonly-files (elvis.U36 and elvis.U37).
Remove the readonly attribute and you'll be able to save your modified firmware

The files in red are the ones that need to be burnt to replace the eproms into your game (the other ones are not modified).
Your sounds are probably corrupted because Pinball Browser was able to save all the roms except U36 and U37.

The message is a little misleading (error on U7 and not U36 or U37 as it should be).
It's because the first file you select to open the Elvis firmware is U7; Pinball Browser later refers to the firmware with this file. I'll improve this in a future version.

#2092 1 year ago

Hey Oga, thanks for the solution to the save problem. So I have another one. I'm trying to import this one track in Elvis over request 9 sound script 0x31 and it has a weird repeating issue at the start.
http://markmon.mine.nu/owncloud/index.php/s/Jpu3BhzKjxuo55F

Any thoughts?

#2093 1 year ago

Interesting. Ok I replaced the 7 audio tracks that were > 10 seconds which were the songs and they played ok in pinball browsers, except the one above. Then programmed U17, U21, U36, U37 and in the game almost all sounds are static now. U7 did not need to be reprogrammed as it did not save a new U7. I wonder if this can be reproduced in pinmame to make things simpler.

#2094 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Interesting. Ok I replaced the 7 audio tracks that were > 10 seconds which were the songs and they played ok in pinball browsers, except the one above. Then programmed U17, U21, U36, U37 and in the game almost all sounds are static now. U7 did not need to be reprogrammed as it did not save a new U7. I wonder if this can be reproduced in pinmame to make things simpler.

A sound script is made of 1 or more sound fragments.
To save space, the same fragment can be used several times (in the same script or in different ones).
That's what you experience with sound script 0x31 : the second fragment is played 8 times.

#2095 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

A sound script is made of 1 or more sound fragments.
To save space, the same fragment can be used several times (in the same script or in different ones).
That's what you experience with sound script 0x31 : the second fragment is played 8 times.

Any thoughts on all the sounds being static once installed into the game?

I am not sure what to make of your analysis of sound script 0x31. The original track played through without the odd repeating but when replaced then it plays repeating. In some Sam games there are several sound requests that obviously are pointers to the main sound. In this I didn't notice any other location that contained that particular song. I sorted the sounds in order of length.

I don't suppose you have access to an Elvis for testing right?

#2096 1 year ago

I loaded my ROM into vpinmame and didn't get static but I did get some unexpected results on what was playing when. I wonder if perhaps pinbal browser just doesn't enumerate all the tracks and such thoroughly on white star. Some of my replacements played and others didn't but I can't get any of the ones that didn't seem to replace to play the old sounds inside pinball browser any longer so I can't find the locations of what to replace or how to solve it.

#2097 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Any thoughts on all the sounds being static once installed into the game?

What do you mean by 'static' ?

Quoted from markmon:

I am not sure what to make of your analysis of sound script 0x31

Probably that it not easy to replace this sound-script.

Here is an example of what happens with sound script 0x31 :
This sound script is made of several fragments (let's say A,B,C,D,E,F). Each of these fragments can be stored anywhere in the roms (they are not always contiguous).
Sound script 0x31 is designed so that the sound is played as ABBBBBBBBCDEF. This can save a lot of space because B is played several times but is only stored once.
If you import a sound like GHIJKLMNOPQRS over this sound-script, fragments H,I,...,O will be stored at the same place (previously B)... and the last one (O) will override all the other ones. Thus, the sound will play as GOOOOOOOOCDEF.

Quoted from markmon:

The original track played through without the odd repeating

At the very begining of sounds script 0x31, the same guitar chord is repeated several times. To save space into the rom, Stern has used the same sound fragment for each note.

Quoted from markmon:

I wonder if perhaps pinbal browser just doesn't enumerate all the tracks and such thoroughly on white star

I have checked on T3 and LOTR (but not on Elvis) that the sound roms are completely referenced in at least one sound fragment. That means that there is no sound in the rom that is not listed in a sound script.
However, some sound-scripts might be 'code-orphans' (never played in the game) but I have no way to list them. We've already seen this in Sam games.

#2098 1 year ago

Thanks for your detailed explanation above. So the audio tracks in Elvis are pieced together it sounds like and not replaceable tracks.

By static, I mean it sounds like white noise.

#2099 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Thanks for your detailed explanation above. So the audio tracks in Elvis are pieced together it sounds like and not replaceable tracks.
By static, I mean it sounds like white noise.

Would be great if we can somehow change the sounds in Elvis....as i've just got one!

#2100 1 year ago
Quoted from andypuk:

Would be great if we can somehow change the sounds in Elvis....as i've just got one!

As of right now it looks like the only option is to recode the game with a proc or such.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinbology
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 9.95
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 19.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Mods
Machine - For Sale
Redding, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 24.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2467 posts in topic. You are on page 42 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.