By oga83

4 years ago

Stats

• 2,532 posts
  • 431 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by oga83
  • Topic is favorited by 579 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 212 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MET - flaming eye.gif
met-combo (resized).JPG
export (resized).png
sw089 (resized).png
TOMJONES (resized).jpg
ACDC Juke Template (resized).jpg
repo (resized).png
36150 (resized).png
Titans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpg
highscores (resized).jpg
IMAG0520 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170421-180051 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.51.50 PM (resized).png
Ghostbusters (resized).png
batman (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2532 posts in topic. You are on page 41 of 51.
#2001 1 year ago
Quoted from Grg:

That is awesome, it looks outstanding.
If this is the first attempt I can't wait to see your 2nd or 3rd.
With the recent artwork release of rob zombie and alien, compared to this! Iron Maiden artwork is far, far, far superior.....

Thanks. I have some plastics typed out. Translite and cabinet and apron decals are next. There's no shortage of iron maiden material

image_(resized).jpeg

#2002 1 year ago

Duplicate.

#2003 1 year ago

Hi All. I'm loving this program to change out voice clips and music on the Met pro I just got.

Most of the files come in fine, but I'm having trouble importing just a few sound clips. I convert them to Mono - 24k, i run compressor and normalize the files. When importing I can listen to them in the Edit window and they sound fine, but after they finishing importing, they sound stat-icky... Most of the files are fine just a few here and there i can't get working. Any ideas?? Thanks!

#2004 1 year ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Has this always been restricted to song less than 10 seconds if not registered? I made a rom before with long songs, so wondering if I registered it and just used a different machine or if this used to not be a restriction ? I don't mind paying, just making sure

Same here. I paid for the license but I'm on a different computer and it doesn't seem to work. I emailed Olivier for resolution.

I certainly don't mind paying again, just want to be sure.

#2005 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Same here. I paid for the license but I'm on a different computer and it doesn't seem to work. I emailed Olivier for resolution.
I certainly don't mind paying again, just want to be sure.

Licensecode is linked to the PC. So if you install it on another PC (or you upgraded for instance W7 to W10 like I did) you will need a new licensecode from Olivier

#2006 1 year ago

Yea I went ahead and got the license...I really don't recall donating in the past so I am guessing he made songs over a 10 second length a paid feature in a later release. That said I have no issue donating, but didn't want to do it twice because I really on use this for one game

#2007 1 year ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

I am guessing he made songs over a 10 second length a paid feature in a later release

There always have been some limitations in the free version.
Before v5, a lot of features were key-dependant (including a sound restriction on formats).
Since v5, it is much more simpler : only 4 features need a key, as explained in the OP :

Without this key, the restrictions are :
- Images cannot be imported (but they can still be modified with the integrated editor).
- Videos (Spike) cannot be imported.
- Sounds that are longer than 10s cannot be imported.
- Macros cannot be played and patches cannot be loaded.

#2008 1 year ago

Anyone out there using crossover to run this on a Mac? It seems when I switch to a different wireless network my license key changes, if I change back I see the old one again. Must be related to a virtual network adapter but cant figure out how to make it fixed?

#2009 1 year ago

Has anyone tried to put back the lawn mower, trident and evil dead chain saw animations on walking dead pin using pinball browser yet? Is it even possible?

#2010 1 year ago

Is the license a donation or is it minimum $20? Also is there a forum or repository for firmwares? Seems like lots of people are doing cool stuff with this but not a lot of sharing going on or maybe I just don't know where that is happening?

#2011 1 year ago

I finally got Pinball Browser up and running on my Mac. I have my music chosen that I'd like to replace and have located the correct Requests and Scripts but am struggling to get everything timed exact in Audacity. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner in Pinball Browser.

#2012 1 year ago

I'm just tinkering with pinball browser for the first time, I can't see how to export music files from the loaded bin file, the button just isn't there. Is it restricted to registered versions? Or am I just blind?

#2013 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I can't see how to export music files from the loaded bin file, the button just isn't there. Is it restricted to registered versions? Or am I just blind?

There is no export functions in Pinball Browser.

#2014 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

oh...I was just watching a tutorial on an older version, I guess the function was removed?

#2015 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yea this is a bummer. There are uses for export functions. Suppose you wish to use the same sound effect for another request set elsewhere. The only way is to export and import again. Also exporting DMD frames would allow for importing and be useful for creating animation sequences.

It doesn't prevent anything either. You can install virtual audio cable and use your browser to play a sound, route it to sound recorder via virtual audio cable, and save that as a file. It's always a bummer when some consideration to DRM eliminates useful functionality from a program.

#2016 1 year ago

if someone has the callouts for twd premium i have never paid for it before but have no problem "donating"

#2017 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Has anyone tried to put back the lawn mower, trident and evil dead chain saw animations on walking dead pin using pinball browser yet? Is it even possible?

#2018 1 year ago

I am hoping someone can help me with a little distortion problem I am having when importing sound bytes. I am converting a Rolling Stones machine to a No Doubt (long story, but the band members are friends) so I had someone do about 500 voice over sound bytes for me. They sound perfect when I preview them, but after I import them, they sound distorted. Almost like she has her mouth against the mike or the levels are too high. I've played around with volume but haven't seen any change.

here is a link to one of the original mp3 files. Does anybody have any ideas why they sound so bad after I import them? https://app.box.com/s/65u74ghfhltd2f971qsk6clxqxrj70dn

thanks!
tony c

#2019 1 year ago

They maybe recorded too hot and clipping. Did you import it at 100% volume no more?

What are you doing for the artwork? Are you following my iron maiden conversion at all?

#2020 1 year ago

Hey Mark,
The sound bites don't have any clipping and don't appear too hot. I've tried importing at 20,40, 100, 200. all sound the same. I even used audacity to export at different bitrates and file types. all sound the same. The mp3 clip in the link above is one of the 500 or so samples. Sounds perfectly clear. Even when I play it in browser before importing it sounds clear. but as soon as it is imported, the quality diminishes.

Yes..I saw your thread. Very Cool. I have someone who is going to do most of the graphics and new plastics for me, as I am a terrible, terrible artist! Listen to that mp3 and see what you think. thanks! tony

#2021 1 year ago

Also, just for the heck of it, I tried some compression and the limiter in audacity. I also used the low and high pass filter. No matter what I do to any of the sound files, I get a low quality, staticy output after importing. Maybe it is just a limitation of the rom? I know the importing does some converting/compression (I think) so maybe it just is a byproduct of the process. Music sounds decent when I import it, but voices sound really rough.

#2022 1 year ago

more info. I don't know if there is a solution, but I imported the same sound bite into a callout script which was labeled undersampled 2x and then into a script that was not labeled undersampled 2x. As expected, it sounded like crap in the undersampled 2x but sounds great in the script that was no undersampled 2x.

any work arounds or just a limitation?

#2023 1 year ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I am hoping someone can help me with a little distortion problem I am having when importing sound bytes.

The sound scripts can have "script-instructions" to modify the sound level of each sound fragment. This adjustment is not performed in PB (because I don't understand everything about script-instructions, like fade-in, fade-out, channel attenuation, ...).
Thus, a sound level that seems correct in your file (and that correctly plays in PB) might be too high for the game : Try to lower the volume of your file (either with the embedded editor or directly in your source file).

Quoted from acaciolo:

I imported the same sound bite into a callout script which was labeled undersampled 2x

The sample rate is only 12kHz : for best results, make sure that your sound bandwidth stays under 6kHz (Shannon sampling theorem).
Anyway, you can't get a better quality than what the game can yield.

#2024 1 year ago

When I try to import an image I get this error. "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Any ideas why?

#2025 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

When I try to import an image I get this error. "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Any ideas why?

Which firmware, image id, import file format and Windows version ?

#2026 1 year ago

just a micro bump for Oga83, the savior. You literally are enabling me to pick-up an xmen that I otherwise could not have owned due to the atrocious and environment ruining wolverine multi-ball "panting" music. will donate for a third time.

#2027 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Which firmware, image id, import file format and Windows version ?

Upgraded to the new pinball browser version and has you can tell by my new avatar everything is working great :).

#2028 1 year ago

Hey has anyone done any research into why pinball browsered Roms might crash in pinmame?

#2029 1 year ago

Pinmame is checking the size of the roms and if that differs, it's crashing.
There was a version capable of the modified roms but sadly it was hosted on vpuniverse which is atm offline

Greets,
Dom

#2030 1 year ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Pinmame is checking the size of the roms and if that differs, it's crashing.
There was a version capable of the modified roms but sadly it was hosted on vpuniverse which is atm offline
Greets,
Dom

So it does more than check CRC (which is disabled by checkbox)?

#2031 1 year ago

I don't know exactly, but yes, I think so.

#2032 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

So it does more than check CRC (which is disabled by checkbox)?

Get the latest vpinmame version from vpuniverse. It has cabinet mode and ignore CRC so modified roms (like pinballbrowser saved) work fine without any errors.

pinmame_ignore_CRC_(resized).png

#2033 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Get the latest vpinmame version from vpuniverse. It has cabinet mode and ignore CRC so modified roms (like pinballbrowser saved) work fine without any errors.
pinmame_ignore_CRC_(resized).png

Yea, I have that version. It just crashes trying to load a modified rom instead of complaining about the crc not matching.

#2034 1 year ago

OGA: can you please explain where pinball browser reads the version and ROM name info? It's not part of the strings table I guess. I want to be able to replace this information. I can hex edit or write a custom app to do it if you wouldnt mind sharing the algorithm pinball browser uses to determine these things.

#2035 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yea, I have that version. It just crashes trying to load a modified rom instead of complaining about the crc not matching.

If you keep the name of the bin and zip that vpinmame has defined it works. For example:
Clelands TWD PRO version. This would crash vpinmame until it was renamed to the defined name.

twd_156.zip (twd_156.bin inside the zip)

If you want to know the names. Click on setup in the vpinmame folder, then test and it shows the name of the binary that vpinmame has defined for the game/version. Of course if its a SAM game you also need the sam.vbs

#2036 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

You have to rename the cpu/sound file so that its extension is ".u7"...
But it (LotR) still doesn't work. I'll check why later.

Any news about Lord of the Ring support?
Thx

#2037 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If you keep the name of the bin and zip that vpinmame has defined it works. For example:
Clelands TWD PRO version. This would crash vpinmame until it was renamed to the defined name.
twd_156.zip (twd_156.bin inside the zip)
If you want to know the names. Click on setup in the vpinmame folder, then test and it shows the name of the binary that vpinmame has defined for the game/version. Of course if its a SAM game you also need the sam.vbs

I don't think we are on the same page here. I am telling you that vpinmame crashes. Not vpinball. The ROM name being wrong wont cause pinmame to crash. It will cause pinmame to be unable to load and start the ROM (it wont be found or it will be missing rom files). Sam.vbs is also not something pinmame cares about - that's script run by the vpinball table. Even naming everything correctly, my vpinmame crashes if I use pinball browser to modify the ROM.

#2038 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

OGA: can you please explain where pinball browser reads the version and ROM name info?

Locating objects into the firmware is the most difficult task of Pinball Browser and it would not be easy to summarize.
It is not based on pattern recognition so I can't tell how to easily find the version number and name.

Pinball Browser has no specific code for a particular firmware : the analysis procedure is the same for all Sam firmwares.
That's the reason why it works for all Sam firmwares (and most of the time, even for new ones); this also explains why it can take long to open some firmwares...

Quoted from markmon:

I want to be able to replace this information

If you want to change the version number, you can replace the messages "%c%x.%x" and "%c%x.%02x" with something like "v1.02".
To replace the long and short names, search for the corresponding string (for example, "AC/DC").

name_(resized).png

version_(resized).png

#2039 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Hey has anyone done any research into why pinball browsered Roms might crash in pinmame?

I'm not familiar with vpinmame but I would check this :
- Is vpinmame looking for some data at absolute addresses (based on the game) ? These data might be moved by Pinball Browser.
- Is vpinmame able to deal with memory that is not initialy used by the stock firmware (but that is really installed on the game) ? Pinball Browser might use this memory when the "Extend Memory" feature is used.

#2040 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

my vpinmame crashes if I use pinball browser to modify the ROM.

What do you modiy in the ROM ?
Did you try a simple modification (just a string with the same length) ?

#2041 1 year ago

I have noticed something with the sound importing. This does not happen with all sound files.

1) I am using the latest version, although an older version has the same issue
2) I have checked that the sound files are not clipping.
3) I have checked that the file is already mono (not stereo)
4) I have tried re-sampling to 24,000Hz with Audacity or leaving the WAV file at 44,100Hz, but this does not seem to matter.
5) When previewing the sound file in Pinball Browser, there is no clipping.
6) After I import the sound, when I play it back there is obvious clipping.

If I import the sound and then export it, this is what I get:

The bottom is the original WAV
The top is the WAV that has been imported into Pinball Browser and then exported again as a WAV. It should be the same, but something has changed.
Untitled_(resized).png

What is going on here? This distortion does not happen to every WAV that I import, only three out of twelve.

#2042 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

If I import the sound and then export it, this is what I get:
The bottom is the original WAV
The top is the WAV that has been imported into Pinball Browser and then exported again as a WAV. It should be the same, but something has changed.

Question. Since pinball browser does not have an export funtional, how are you exporting the sound to compare?

#2043 1 year ago
Quoted from markmon:

Question. Since pinball browser does not have an export funtional, how are you exporting the sound to compare?

I used an old version of Pinball Browser (v 4.x) that I happened to keep so that I could show this visually. Audibly, the result is the same with the newer v5.52. The clipping is very obvious.

It looks like there is a math error somewhere, as though values were rolling over.

#2044 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

I have noticed something with the sound importing. This does not happen with all sound files.
What is going on here? This distortion does not happen to every WAV that I import, only three out of twelve.

Which firmware and which sound-script id ? Please send me your wav file so I can check it here.

Quoted from nosro:

I used an old version of Pinball Browser (v 4.x) that I happened to keep so that I could show this visually. Audibly, the result is the same with the newer v5.52. The clipping is very obvious.
It looks like there is a math error somewhere, as though values were rolling over.

If this is an "Undersampled 2x" sound ?
There was a bug about this type of sounds (since the beginning) that has been fixed in v5.01.

I guess that the "steps" in your signal trace are the sound-fragments boundaries. It seems that each new fragment does not start with the proper initial values. Either it comes from the old v4, either it's a new bug in v5.

#2045 1 year ago

I have sent you a link to the files.

I don't think this is an undersampled sound because it is one of the long songs. I have tried importing this WAV into many other sound scripts and always get the distortion.

The distortion seems to happen on many other sounds as well. It is not always audible, but looking at the exported WAV shows that there is definitely some alteration happening.

#2046 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

I don't think this is an undersampled sound because it is one of the long songs. I have tried importing this WAV into many other sound scripts and always get the distortion.

Undersampled sounds are generally labeled by pinball browser 2x undersampled.

#2047 1 year ago

Then it is definitely not an undersampled sound.

The differences are sometimes inaudible (to my ears anyway), but after importing/exporting using an older PinballBrowser, it seems that some distortion is happening on most sound scripts but is only apparent by visually inspecting the sound. However, the severity of the distortion seems to follow the WAV file itself, not the sound script.

#2048 1 year ago

For anyone who is curious, these questions are in relation to this project: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress

#2049 1 year ago
Quoted from nosro:

The distortion seems to happen on many other sounds as well. It is not always audible, but looking at the exported WAV shows that there is definitely some alteration happening.

Yes, sound 0x454 is not undersamped.

To check that the Pinball Browser algorithm is working well, I used the "bootstrap" technique :
Export sound 0x454, then import it and export it again : The differences between the 2 exported files are barely noticeable :
454ImpExp_(resized).png
To see some differences (and check that you're not comparing the file to itself !), you have to zoom a lot (amplitude) :
454Zoom_(resized).png
but obviously, it's not working like this with your file...

To understand what's going on with your file, display its spectrum; you'll see that you have frequencies near the Nyquist frequency (Sound at 24kHz => Nf=12kHz) :
454TestSpectrum_(resized).png
(you can check that it's not the case with the original sound).

That's why your sound is distorted after Import/Export (see the Shannon sampling theorem and add some lossy compression in the middle to match the game format).

The solution to your problem is to apply a low-pass filter with Audacity. I did that on your test file with a 6kHz cut-off frequency (but you can try a higher frequency) :
solution_(resized).png

Now, the signal is the same (more precisely "almost" the same, but it's barely noticeable).

I'll see if I can add such a filter in the PB embedded sound editor; it would be more convenient.

#2050 1 year ago

Interesting. If there was an issue with Nyquist frequency sampling (I am familiar with the concept), shouldn't the distortion also be heard in the WAV file which was already resampled to 24kHz?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 47.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 60.00
$ 380.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.50
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 14.95
$ 12.95
There are 2532 posts in topic. You are on page 41 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside