• 2,914 posts
  • 478 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by oga83
  • Topic is favorited by 618 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 242 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Error (resized).JPG
FJIMG_20181003_182533 (resized).jpg
15385256037278371713977979636364 (resized).jpg
15385255150454566123597227618658 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180927_084514260 (resized).jpg
Pinball Browser GoTG High Scores edit (resized).png
IMAG1130 (resized).jpg
hs (resized).png
MET - splash (resized).png
MET - four horsemen (resized).jpg
IMDN (resized).png
song loc (resized).jpg
161644AC-4738-4FA0-8746-AD73BE822C98 (resized).jpeg
ddddd (resized).jpg
IMAG0773 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2914 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 59.
#151 5 years ago

Not so sure on spiderman as i havent played it in ages. There sure is a massive amount of space to make something cool for it though i'm sure.

My mind is in overdrive with this right now....

#152 5 years ago

ok, this loads in the tool. Curious what his looks like in my game I noticed 21 frames in the tool starting at 0x1FA8, but I thought you inserted 6 images. Does the tool account for timing?

Quoted from Russo121:

Here is the ROM with the gem animation replacing the finger animation in the correct place this time. Works for me with the new and old browsers but not yet tried in my machine.:
http://speedy.sh/AMwZh/TRN-174.bin

#153 5 years ago

The full animation i made was 21 frames so as to fully cover the 21 frames of the the old finger animation. I just send 6 or so to oga for him to test.

You can also replace the Stern logo now, but i left my named logo out of the ROM i posted.

I too am curious to load it in my game but quite scared to do so for some reason? Are you?

#154 5 years ago

WOW this is bad ass!

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

I just realised i can replace the compressed-7 image where the stern logo is on the Tron ROM. WOOHOO!!!

Again, you can replace any image, compressed or not.
The only difference is that, for a compressed image, you will consume free memory.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

There sure is a massive amount of space to make something cool for it though i'm sure.

...and when you use all the free memory, it is highly possible that it increases again. In AC/DC and Tron (and probably others), there are at least 2 non-contiguous blocks of free memory; only the first one is reported by the firmware analysis procedure; when it's full, the app will then use the next one

#157 5 years ago

oga83, any idea as to why luvthatapex2 can open Spider-Man 2.6 (see a few posts before this) with your browser and I continue to get an error when attempting to open it?

The Spider-Man firmware is named the same and I'm using 1.46 of your browser.

#158 5 years ago

oga83, any idea as to why luvthatapex2 can open Spider-Man 2.6 (see a few posts before this) with your browser and I continue to get an error when attempting to open it?
The Spider-Man firmware is named the same and I'm using 1.46 of your browser.

I can also open SPD.
Try to download it again, it might be corrupted.
What message do you have when you click on "Firmware Analysis" ?

spd.png

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I can also open SPD.
Try to download it again, it might be corrupted.
What message do you have when you click on "Firmware Analysis" ?

Strange stuff.

The 2.6 software I was trying is one I had on my hard drive. It had a different modification date as the one on Sterns site. They are both showing as 2.6 and both have the same CRC, but the one I have saved won't load in the browser. It first showed a "could not open" error and then a "unknown firmware" error.

The 2.6 that is on Stern's site now will load in the browser.

Seems strange that 2 files having the same version, size and CRC would behave differently.

#160 5 years ago

With everyone waiting on the fiber mod for Tron, this is easily the most exciting thing on Pinside right now. Features are being implemented so fast it boggles the mind.

#161 5 years ago

Anyone inserted a custom song yet?

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

With everyone waiting on the fiber mod for Tron, this is easily the most exciting thing on Pinside right now. Features are being implemented so fast it boggles the mind.

It makes me wonder why Stern needs months between software updates. They have the actual development tools and a team of programers.

Oh, a bug that is spotted 2 minutes after your first game? Oh...well get used to that...it will be months before it gets fixed!

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Probably not since it isn't possible....yet.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

This will be the best part.
While the DMD section is cool. I do not have near the interest in it as I do being able to add songs and speech.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Probably not since it isn't possible....yet.

Its been possible for over 2 years....not with this program but it has been done long long ago.

#166 5 years ago

a topic to follow for sure...

#167 5 years ago

Pinball Browser v1.5 is now online
It has some great improvements on sounds (features and quality).
See the original post for download link and change log :
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images#op
Let me know what you think about it !

Some in-depth explanations :
First of all, there are 'Sound Requests'. A sound request is related to an action (Drain for example).
Each sound request has 1 or more "Sound script".
Each sound script is a list of actions; The most interesting action is "play sound fragment"...
To make things a little more complicated, the script functions are not the same in all firmwares
The app will show you how many sound requests, scripts and fragments there are (and also the script version).

For example, when you drain, the sound request "Drain" is executed :
It has several associated sound scripts : "Draino", "byebye", "looooser", "ahaha"...
In this example, each sound script only has 1 fragment, but it is not always the case : some songs have more than 100 fragments...

Pinball browser v1.50 is now able to decode the sound scripts; thus it can group sound fragments in one single sound track.
This sound track can be played or exported
I did not implemented "sound requests" as they are less interesting than "sound scripts".
However, the sound requests are internally analysed in order to list all the scripts.

I also understood how the sounds fragment are encoded. So, quality has been improved and sounds that could not be played are now working well.
There are 4 different coding methods (displayed as Type 0 to 3 in the app).
Type 0 and 4 are not implemented yet because I did not find any firmware using them.
If you find these types and they don't play, let me know where !

Next step will be sound track replacement by one of your choice...

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I love you.

#169 5 years ago

For anyone looking:

X-Men's Beast quotes are located at:
0x382 through 0x3A3

...in all their "glory."

#170 5 years ago

Sounds are just a tiny, tiny bit too slow.

HUGE improvement over previous versions, though.

Export function works fantastic!

Really having fun with this program...

#171 5 years ago

Oh my gosh this is awesome! I pulled music from XMEN I never heard before.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Sounds are just a tiny, tiny bit too slow.
HUGE improvement over previous versions, though.
Export function works fantastic!
Really having fun with this program...

I agree with all of this. Sound is still a bit off, but much improved and the export feature on the sound is great.

Thanks again oga83, for the great program and incredibly fast growth that is has made in such a short time.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This would be the most amazing step forward for me.
Can't wait to see if it comes true....
Thanks for all of your hard work on this program.

#174 5 years ago

I loaded the exported wave into audacity and the same song extracted from CD in wav format. I chose Unforgiven to compare.

When I exported sound-301 (unforgiven), it was slightly slow and a bit flat.
In Audacity, I increased the speed 2.0 percent and increased the pitch 2 half steps and it sounds pretty close to the original. Maybe this helps with your calculation?

Very very fun tool.

#175 5 years ago

I've been sitting for an hour listening to samples from CSI. Amazing how much stuff is in there, including about 20 awesome music clips that weren't used. David Theil must have been like a kid in a candy factory!

#176 5 years ago

AC/DC has tons of cool Steve Richie call outs that were never used.
I love it when he gets into his Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions.
He even does the Terminator 3 pinball opening like Arnold, saying "Shoot here and here".
Funny stuff.

#177 5 years ago

This is really becoming a fantastic utility. Well done!

EDIT : removed one "partier" up above. He had a few too many beers and was getting rowdy.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I loaded the exported wave into audacity and the same song extracted from CD in wav format. I chose Unforgiven to compare.
When I exported sound-301 (unforgiven), it was slightly slow and a bit flat.
In Audacity, I increased the speed 2.0 percent and increased the pitch 2 half steps and it sounds pretty close to the original. Maybe this helps with your calculation?
Very very fun tool.

I also did the same (on sound-19e, Whole lotta rosie) with audacity to adjust the duration to the one measured on the pinball jukebox. The difference was around 5%, that yields to a sampling rate of 23kHz, which sounds weird; To avoid compatibility issue on some players, I kept the standard 22050 Hz and that's why it sounds "flat and slow".
I did the test again this morning on Whole Lotta Rosie, and I found a sampling rate of 23.6khz which is closer to the well known 24kHz...
So, I recompiled the app with this, and it's better (although a little too quick and sharp)
Please try v1.51, and tell me

#179 5 years ago

Loads of audio in Tron thats not used too. Combo callouts a plenty along with lots of unusual noises/effects as well as LOTS of alternative sexy female robot voice audio.

Audio is almost there, just a tiny bit slow as others have mentioned.

This could mean that i could actually play a game of Xmen without cringing at the voice callouts. Awesome bit of software!

#180 5 years ago

Just tried v1.51. Much improvement. Some sounds are a little fast but most sound just right to me.

#181 5 years ago

Very nicely developped piece of software! Thanks!

#182 5 years ago

Thank you! I will continue exploring the options tonight. Can't wait to try it. The audio features are great.

#183 5 years ago

I love this program, thanks for your efforts. I was going searching the ACDC Premium code and there is a very long concert segment. Is this in game atm?

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

I love this program, thanks for your efforts. I was going searching the ACDC Premium code and there is a very long concert segment. Is this in game atm?

Which number ?

#185 5 years ago

Not only do I appreciate the work oga has done on this tool, but it also allows you for the first time ever to appreciate the hard work done on the dots and audio as you can now see how they are assembled and hear them all. Surprising to hear many sounds/music selections for the first time.

The audio work on Metallica is brilliant. Something like 12-15 snippets of each song in varying lengths from 10 seconds to full song, and played back no doubt with some gametimer running to keep track of time played. I know some people don't like the replaying of the song, but its very cleverly done and I think its great. It also gives the programmer lots of snippets to work with and would allow adjustments in the code without new samples.

In Metallica, I guess End of the line is the WIZARD MODE? Since its not in the game at the moment, and not selectable as a start song (although the other 11 are). The song is in the rom and can be played on the pop up radio, but not in gameplay. I imagine a huge surprise is waiting in a future update.

#186 5 years ago

It's the LE/Premium code, V165Le. The concert segment starts at 0x723 and goes on for a very long time. Also very cool split screens.

#187 5 years ago

This looks like a fantastic tool. I wish I could use it! I guess I need to go out and buy a newer Stern (only have a LOTR).

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

So, I recompiled the app with this, and it's better (although a little too quick and sharp)
Please try v1.51, and tell me

You are right on there. 1.51 is much closer to the mark than 1.50 was, but as you said, a little too quick now.

All and all, 1.51 still sounds much closer to the real thing than 1.50 did.

Thanks again.

#189 5 years ago

Oga83, I have a couple of questions.

I was toying around and exported a DMD frame (png). Then I touched the frame up (with smiles) and saved it as a png. Then when I went to import it back into the program I only had an option to import a jpg. So I went back and saved the touched up image as a jpg. Then the image imported fine...the issue is the image quality. See example below:

If I were to flash this patched firmware on the game would the image quality be that bad on the game?

Why only allow the import of jpg when png is the export format?

My next question involves patching a firmware. I noticed in an earlier version it would rename and save the patched firmware in a different folder. Why did you decide to change that. It seems over writing an original firmware by mistake could happen much easier now.

BeforePNG.jpg AfterJPG.jpg

#190 5 years ago

Thank you for your remarks.

Quoted from DugFreez:

I only had an option to import a jpg
[...]
Why only allow the import of jpg when png is the export format?

PNG is ok : just type *.png, Enter, and select your file. I'll add the pattern in the next version, so that both extensions are listed.
And you're right, PNG should be used rather than JPEG.

Quoted from DugFreez:

I noticed in an earlier version it would rename and save the patched firmware in a different folder. Why did you decide to change that. It seems over writing an original firmware by mistake could happen much easier now.

Because it's much easier to use when you replace several images : you don't have to open your firmware again once it's patched, because it's the same file (Just click import, patch, validate the filename, and do the same for the next image).
Moreover, in the previous version, it was not saved in a different folder : the suffix "_patched" was added to the original filename... that you could easily lead to files like xxx_patched.bin, xxx_patched_patched.bin, xxx_patched_patched_patched.bin, ...
Anyway, you can choose a different filename when you patch your firmware, or make a copy of the original one.

#191 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure typing in the *.png extension was just a general windows tip I should have known already but I didn't. It allowed me to import the touched up png image and it looks great.

I must have been mistaken about your older versions moving patched roms to a different location. I thought it created a "patched" folder in the original rom folder and also put "patched" at the end of the file name. Your explanation on why you took out the renaming makes sense and a user will still get the "file overwrite" warning to prevent them from overwriting a file by mistake.

Thanks again.

I was also wondering about the white bar that is on a lot of the DMD frames. Is this caused by your program or is this the way the info in the firmware is? I was thinking maybe this bottom line of each image is not displayed by the DMD at all?

white_bar.jpg

#192 5 years ago

I can't wait until it's fully tested...
v1.60 can now import sounds

The file to import must be a WAV file.
You'll have better result with 24000 Hz sample rate because I don't resample (Audacity does it better than I ever would). Otherwise, the speed and pitch will be wrong.

Until now, I only have tested Type1 sounds (AC/DC has no Type2) on single-fragment sounds.
Enjoy, and give me your feedback !

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I was also wondering about the white bar that is on a lot of the DMD frames. Is this caused by your program or is this the way the info in the firmware is? I was thinking maybe this bottom line of each image is not displayed by the DMD at all?

You are correct again : there is a partial bottom line (or right column) depending on the compression method. I noticed this but I was not able to correct it until now (but I did not spent a lot of time on this). Anyway, when you replace an image, it will always be a Raster-12... for which there is no problem.

#194 5 years ago

Has anyone found any Xmen deadpool related sounds or images hidden that have not been used yet? I haven't kept up with this whole thread. Good stuff, though.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This tool is amazing! Well done sir.

I've had a riot digging thru the Tron code. It's amazing how many audio and video clips are in the rom that are not used in the game.

#196 5 years ago

If I can use this to change the "evidence collected" sound on CSI, oga83 is my new hero!

#197 5 years ago

Wow.

Your tool almost makes me depressed because there is so much good stuff that doesn't end up even getting used in the game. Theres over 100 sounds and 10+ minutes of animation in the Tron LE firmware alone that I have never seen (and I have beaten that game every which way)

The female computer voice mode callouts are epic

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You'll have better result with 24000 Hz sample rate because I don't resample (Audacity does it better than I ever would). Otherwise, the speed and pitch will be wrong.
Until now, I only have tested Type1 sounds (AC/DC has no Type2) on single-fragment sounds.
Enjoy, and give me your feedback !

I have also tested that multi-fragments sounds can also be replaced.
Some precisions :
- The sound track duration cannot be changed. If your file is too long, it will be cut; if it is too short, there will be no sound for the remaining time.
- To get a 24000 Hz WAV file, you can use Audacity : open your file, choose 'Project at 24000' at the bottom left of the window, and then 'Export to WAV' in the File menu.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you have to find a sound clip that is the exact same length? Can you replace shorter clips with longer ones?

I imagine that changing things out COULD cause some weirdness in call-outs, but this will be fun to test!

Someone try this...I'm nowhere near my home PC...

EDIT: Answered above as I was typing. Too long, and it gets cut. Too short, and you get deadspace.

#200 5 years ago

Now we should be able to add back the "bum bum bum....Tron!" sound! I miss it!

Just need to figure it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.99
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 24.50
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11.99
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2914 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside