By oga83

4 years ago

Stats

• 2,475 posts
  • 424 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 570 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 209 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sw089 (resized).png
TOMJONES (resized).jpg
ACDC Juke Template (resized).jpg
repo (resized).png
36150 (resized).png
Titans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpg
highscores (resized).jpg
IMAG0520 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170421-180051 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.51.50 PM (resized).png
Ghostbusters (resized).png
batman (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2475 posts in topic. You are on page 37 of 50.
#1801 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, you will need to completely re-write the ROM. Meaning, change the platform out for a P3 or other system.

or wait for Pinball Browser v6...

#1802 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Hey, I've BEEN waiting!

#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Whitestar in v6?

#1804 2 years ago

Open up the source code of the game and make changes? Holy Sh!t!!!!

#1805 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Open up the source code of the game and make changes? Holy Sh!t!!!!

Another Holy Sh!t from me. So grateful for what can be done already.

#1806 2 years ago

Thanks Oga!

image.jpg

#1807 2 years ago

Would it be possible to remove the following songs from Rolling Stones le and add these?

Remove
Love is strong
Hand of fate
Rain fell down
When the whip comes down

Remove Possibly
you got me rocking

Add
Satisfaction
Paint it black
Gimme shelter
Can't you here me knocking

Add Possibly
Tumbling dice or Miss you

Thanks for the help, me buying this game sort of hinges on this.

#1808 2 years ago

Has anybody tried incorporating this Spider-Man song by the Ramones into their SM?

» YouTube video

#1809 2 years ago

I always liked New York Groove. I would do that for end credits.

Edit.. I just went through more tangents than a geometry book looking up that song. The Internet is the ultimate mental quicksand.

#1810 2 years ago

Awesome update!

As a side note, does anyone have a sound bookmark file for Star Trek v1.61?

#1811 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Would it be possible to remove the following songs from Rolling Stones le and add these?
Remove
Love is strong
Hand of fate
Rain fell down
When the whip comes down
Remove Possibly
you got me rocking
Add
Satisfaction
Paint it black
Gimme shelter
Can't you here me knocking
Add Possibly
Tumbling dice or Miss you
Thanks for the help, me buying this game sort of hinges on this.

Don't know the songs but see no reason why not. Only if replacement song is shorter you will have a silence.

You can even try it without buying the RSLE. Download the firmware from stern website, open PB and see if you can make it Happen

#1812 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Don't know the songs but see no reason why not. Only if replacement song is shorter you will have a silence.
You can even try it without buying the RSLE. Download the firmware from stern website, open PB and see if you can make it Happen

How do you download this? I've never done this before?

#1813 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If the song is a few seconds short I'm guessing a loop of some sort could be created to avoid this?

#1814 2 years ago

Hi I just donwload the new version and I don't have the export button... I just want to extract some dmd image. Is there a way to do that?

Sorry, but it's the first time I use it.

#1815 2 years ago

If you download the code off the stern site, is there a way to determine the length of the songs actually installed on the machine? I'm assuming it must list this that way you have a good idea of whAt time constraints to occupy or stay within.

#1816 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If you download the code off the stern site, is there a way to determine the length of the songs actually installed on the machine? I'm assuming it must list this that way you have a good idea of whAt time constraints to occupy or stay within.

Bring up Pinball Browser and load in the .bin image. Hopefully it will find a bookmark file, if not this is not too much of a problem. Once the image is loaded, click on "sounds" and then sort the list by duration with the longest at the top ("Duration V"). The songs are by far the longest sounds so they will end up at the top of the list. You can then listen to them one at a time and label them using the bookmark maker (the text blank and hit the star next to it to save). And yes, the exact length of each sound/song is listed.

#1817 2 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Hi I just donwload the new version and I don't have the export button... I just want to extract some dmd image. Is there a way to do that?
Sorry, but it's the first time I use it.

Export has been removed due to copyright implications - see change log

#1818 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You would dl the Rolling Stones LE code from Sterns website and open it with the Pinball Browser. Then you flip through the sound files and find the songs in the game. It will show how long the song clips are.

In the case of the Rolling Stones....I don't think any of the song clips are the entire songs. So what you would need to do is find a place in the song you want to add where you want to grab that length of music from.

EXAMPLE: If the Love Is Strong clip is 1:23 long....and you want to add Satisfaction in that part of the game when Love Is Strong usually plays.... you would need to find a 1:23 long section of Satisfaction to import into the software.

I really wish there was some audio software that would let you type in a length of time and it have that length highlighted where you could slide it along a sound file to pick the best clip of that length that you want.....but I have never seen one and didn't hear back from anyone when asking about it. It seems like a tool that many would use in an auto editing software, especially when trying to loop audio, but I haven't heard of any programs that have this.

#1819 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Has anybody tried incorporating this Spider-Man song by the Ramones into their SM?
» YouTube video

Didn't do that .. but i did this.

» YouTube video

I think the ramones might squeak into the next revision

thanks

#1820 2 years ago

Hello pinsider,

I'm wondering if someone ever try to colorize a TRON with pinball browser (beside the video snippets)

if yes, appreciate your hints as I'm able to colorize on a "global" color palette level only...
may be I'm missing something or it's not possible, because of the video snippets in between.

TIA

#1821 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I really wish there was some audio software that would let you type in a length of time and it have that length highlighted where you could slide it along a sound file to pick the best clip of that length that you want.....but I have never seen one and didn't hear back from anyone when asking about it. It seems like a tool that many would use in an auto editing software, especially when trying to loop audio, but I haven't heard of any programs that have this.

Audacity does exactly this. Making a song loop can be a challenge, but rewarding. Sliding the time as little as 100th of a second won't hit the beat perfectly, but it'll be close enough.

#1822 2 years ago

Any chance for WPC sound support? Nobody has managed to fully crack the Harris CVSD codec.

#1823 2 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Audacity does exactly this. Making a song loop can be a challenge, but rewarding. Sliding the time as little as 100th of a second won't hit the beat perfectly, but it'll be close enough.

Let's say you have 1:40 and 638ms segment you want to replace.

Is it better to find a long 1:40 minute segment to import in or some sort of short piece that loops over and over to total 1:40.

I find this to be a little confusing, I'm guessing if you can find a straight piece of music this would be preferred?

#1824 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I really wish there was some audio software that would let you type in a length of time and it have that length highlighted where you could slide it along a sound file to pick the best clip of that length that you want.....but I have never seen one

Pinball Browser allows you pick your prefered part of a sound file and will keep the selected length.
Try this :
- Select your sound in the list (ACDC168LE, script 0x173 in this example; its length is 17.8s)
- Import your new sound (in this example, its length is 1m12s); the sound editor will pop up.
- Select the start position by moving the "Position" cursor (#1 in the screenshot below)
- Click on "Set Start Position" (#2 in the screenshot)
- Click on "Play" to try this position : you can see that the length stays the same (17.8s)
- When you're happy with the position, click on "Import"

sound.png

#1825 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser allows you pick your prefered part of a sound file and will keep the selected length.

This function works as advertised, but I'm wondering if there's any way to fine-tune the placement of the pins.

It's hard to be as precise as needed, and it would be nice not to have to use outside software for this precision. Also, I believe that when you select the starting point, there's no way to play/preview the track from that point without losing your place. So it really becomes a multi-step and somewhat imprecise exercise.

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any chance for WPC sound support? Nobody has managed to fully crack the Harris CVSD codec.

Or to put it another way, do you think it would be possible to use PCM data in the ROMs? Based on the ROM images floating around I don't think there's a "BIOS" ROM that determines how the DSP operates like in Data East and Sega games. Something like this is quite possible with the NES and large cart sizes by passing 7-bit PCM samples straight to the DSP instead of using an external ADPCM decoder. If anyone knows a little more about the Harris based architecture what are your thoughts?

#1827 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Well i think ill wait.

#1828 2 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I'm wondering if there's any way to fine-tune the placement of the pins

No, but it's a good idea. I'll see what can be done in a future version. What about a shift-click when moving the cursor ?

Quoted from stevevt:

Also, I believe that when you select the starting point, there's no way to play/preview the track from that point without losing your place. So it really becomes a multi-step and somewhat imprecise exercise.

This is correct; I'll improve this feature.

#1829 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nobody has managed to fully crack the Harris CVSD codec

I'm not very familiar with Williams hardware and I thought that the Harris chip was just a DAC (that uses a CVSD conversion), not a codec; am I wrong ?
I've been working for a while on the WPC-DCS codec (without success until now..).

Quoted from Crash:

Or to put it another way, do you think it would be possible to use PCM data in the ROMs?

It seems more complicated to me than implementing the codec in PB.

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

No, but it's a good idea. I'll see what can be done in a future version. What about a shift-click when moving the cursor ?

Sure, a shift-click the slow down the movement of the dragging could work. Or maybe add the ability to use the left and right arrow keys to move at the smallest possible increment.

#1831 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Try this :
- Select your sound in the list (ACDC168LE, script 0x173 in this example; its length is 17.8s)
- Import your new sound (in this example, its length is 1m12s); the sound editor will pop up.
- Select the start position by moving the "Position" cursor (#1 in the screenshot below)
- Click on "Set Start Position" (#2 in the screenshot)
- Click on "Play" to try this position : you can see that the length stays the same (17.8s)
- When you're happy with the position, click on "Import"
sound.png

How do you change the messages to go with the new music files? Example, I'm trying to replace the War Machine song with Rock or Bust. I imported the Rock or Bust file and used it in place of the "War Machine studio version". I then tried to edit all related messages like war machine multiball and war machine high score to say Rock or Bust instead and couldn't figure out how to make these changes.

#1832 2 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I'm not very familiar with Williams hardware and I thought that the Harris chip was just a DAC (that uses a CVSD conversion), not a codec; am I wrong ?
I've been working for a while on the WPC-DCS codec (without success until now..).

It seems more complicated to me than implementing the codec in PB.

I'm not entirely sure, I'm not a software engineer so my knowledge stops there. There are people who know a thing or two about it though. DCS actually uses compression, and the encoding specification is available online.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/unclewilly3.htm

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpc_sound.htm

#1833 2 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

How do you change the messages to go with the new music files? Example, I'm trying to replace the War Machine song with Rock or Bust. I imported the Rock or Bust file and used it in place of the "War Machine studio version". I then tried to edit all related messages like war machine multiball and war machine high score to say Rock or Bust instead and couldn't figure out how to make these changes.

See here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/30#post-2061957

#1834 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

DCS actually uses compression, and the encoding specification is available online.
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/unclewilly3.htm
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpc_sound.htm

Thanks. I've already seen these ones, mainly because no other information is available !

The first link is not a specification; it only gives general information about DCS. I've used the informations about the frame length as a hint but I'm still missing important things.
The second link describes an emulator for the sound processor, which is impressive, but the DCS format is not reversed here.

#1835 2 years ago

I'm trying to replace a song in Kiss and I'm getting an error message stating "This version of Pinball Browser cannot import long songs, try a shorter one or click license in the main window for more info"

Can someone tell me where the license tab is on the main window?

I'm running PB ver 5.00

#1836 2 years ago

Bottom right hand side of the program is a license button.

#1837 2 years ago

Doh!..my screen was cut off at the bottom...Thanks

#1839 2 years ago

I was having same issue and made donation.

Where do you get the license password?

I don't see it anywhere

#1840 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Someone mentioned Audacity, and I'd think any multi-track editor has this. I'm using Adobe Audition to work on my PinSound mix - it's the 'Slip Tool' in Audition.

#1841 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I was having same issue and made donation.
Where do you get the license password?
I don't see it anywhere

I'm hoping he will email it to us

#1842 2 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I haven't seen, and still don't see, an option like this in Audacity. Can you explain where it is?

I'm guessing what you are mentioning is different than what I have in mind.

An example of what I have in mind is you open up a song that is 2mins 37secs long. You want a clip that is 32secs long. You type that 32 second in somewhere and the program highlights the first 32seconds of the song and you can then slide that highlighted 32sec section up and down the entire 2min 37sec file. When you get it to where you want you can click play and it will loop the highlighted 32sec section wherever it is.

It may have it, and it seems like it should, but I can't figure out where. I can highlight a section of a song and I could adjust it to the loop length I need, but I see no way to slide that highlighted time length section around on the track.

As for the sound sizing tool in Pinball Browser....it's nice to have, but not nearly precise or full featured as would be needed in many cases. Being able to zoom in and look at the sound file up close to see where note breaks are and stuff like that are is pretty necessary.

#1843 2 years ago

Has anyone done a good mod for POTC software? I would like to try out something new, don't trust myself to do it myself though...

#1844 2 years ago

Tried to download latest version and my computer says it contains a virus and deletes the download. Am I doing something wrong?

#1845 2 years ago

*PLEASE* : Someone edit NASCAR and replace driving 55 with something cool!!!

#1846 2 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Sure, a shift-click the slow down the movement of the dragging could work. Or maybe add the ability to use the left and right arrow keys to move at the smallest possible increment.

"old school" text dialog box so people can just put in the values manually?

#1847 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

*PLEASE* : Someone edit Nascar and replace driving 55 with something cool!!!

NASCAR is a Whitestar System Stern game (uses burnt ROM chips). Pinball Browser is for SAM and now SPIKE System games that use UBS to update the game code.

It would be nice on NASCAR to at least be able to import the correct version of I Can't Drive 55 instead of being stuck with the knockoff version that the game uses.

#1848 2 years ago

Any tips on prepping callouts? I'm doing BDK this weekend... I need to convert the mp3 files to wav and tweak the volume.

#1849 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Any tips on prepping callouts? I'm doing BDK this weekend... I need to convert the mp3 files to wav and tweak the volume.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser

I would think the biggest issue with adding callouts from a movie source would be removing any background sounds or music. The guide i linked to doesn't really touch on that, but it is mainly about file conversion and volume balancing that you asked about.

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser
I would think the biggest issue with adding callouts from a movie source would be removing any background sounds or music. The guide i linked to doesn't really touch on that, but it is mainly about file conversion and volume balancing that you asked about.

Yeah, thanks for the guide BTW. I've used it for converting songs but never for callouts. The callouts I have don't have much background music.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 199.99
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 60.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2475 posts in topic. You are on page 37 of 50.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.