• 3,118 posts
  • 504 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by pekilica
  • Topic is favorited by 640 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 258 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy.gif
bandicam 2019-04-02 20-56-52-368 (resized).jpg
bandicam 2019-03-11 23-08-58-222 (resized).jpg
0x91D (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
0x91Da (resized).PNG
MET sparky splash logo (LED) (resized).jpg
ac-dc 0x6A7.jpg
Pinball Browser Not Showing BIN Files (resized).JPG
show hidden files (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
low pass (resized).jpg
original puppy (resized).png
GOT (resized).png
PBv660 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.
#102 5 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

All I get is static garbage on the pc at work when trying to listen to audio. maybe because it is using onboard audio. I can try at home later.

Depending on the firmware, the sounds can be located at different places.
So, you might be listening at portions of code...
When I figure out how sounds are implemented, I'll post a new version.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

oga83, any chance of getting the audio clips to play back at the correct speed? On Tron, some play really fast, some play just right, some play slow. I'm guessing it's different sample rates and the program needs to account for that.

You're right, but I'm still missing some informations to make it work well.
When it works, I'll commit all my changes (regarding sounds) in a new version.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Here is the description of the issue I have. Keep in mind that in all examples I have used the same picture (a 100 x 100 pixel 96 dpi 24 bit .jpeg).
test 1 is of the pic just as I loaded it in the ROM and patched it.
test 2 is what the pic looks like when I reload that patched ROM with the browser.
test 3 is the same pic loaded to a different location on the ROM but when I just loaded it.
test 4 is that same pic after I reloaded that patched ROM.
I have a few questions. since the first smaller picture is skewed after being patched in on the browser...will it also be skewed (and looks as it does in the browser) if flashed to the game?
What is making the small pic replacement skewed and the bigger one is fine? Is it the size? Is it because the small original pic was "Raster-0" and the bigger one was "Compressed-7"?

Thanks for this, it is very clear.
For tests 1 and 2, your are trying to patch very low resolution image (17 x 23); Converting a 100x100 image to this format will always involve a great loss. However, I tried with a 17x23 image, and there is still an issue (similar to tests 3&4). I think it' an anti-aliasing issue and it should not be a big deal to fix. I'll also add the image size on next version.
[EDIT]I confirm that it's an anti-aliasing issue, but also a problem with odd width images (17).

#105 5 years ago

New version 1.43 is online
See the change log at the end of the original post.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

I have also edited the OP to make things clearer about image replacement : you can replace any image you want (compressed or not). The only limitation is free memory for compressed images. Tell me whether it is now clear or not...

In the future, it might be possible to replace compressed images "in place", but it requires the full index table to be recalculated and written (because the size will probably not be the same). I can do this, but I prefer not untill the current version is fully tested.

#106 5 years ago

You are a genius. Thankyou for your efforts. I will try the new version out right now.

#107 5 years ago

It works!!! (image is of patched ROM - no free memory on Tron, so replaced a few frames in the gem finger animation which was raster-0)

ruspatch1.jpeg

#108 5 years ago

Yes this is a major improvement. Not only can you export, but you now know the exact size of the image in case you want to reproduce it. Great work!

Export-16F6.png Export-18CB.png Export-170A.png Export-185E.png Export-1745.png Export-1766.png

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

It works!!! (image is of patched ROM - no free memory on Tron, so replaced a few frames in the gem finger animation which was raster-0)

What do you mean by "no free memory on Tron" ? Do you get this message for the first image you try to replace ?
Raster-0 has the same limitation than compressed images : it is not saved in-place (it could be, because the length is always the same, but I didn't do the conversion to this format).

Did you get an error at the end of the upgrade ?

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Would it be possible that this could support earlier SAM games? For example I was unable to get 24 or CSI loading up. Just curious, this is very cool.

It works with v1.44

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

No trojan in it. To feel more comfortable, you can block it with your firewall (the app doesn't use network at all).

Part of the problem is the distribution site you use is flagged as a security threat by many tools. If you do the work under an open source license, there are lots of pages that will host the project (including source control) for you for free.. like https://code.google.com/

Or, you can be really simple.. and just put the file/folder on a dropbox account and share the link.

The file download site you are using now is kinda sketchy

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

What do you mean by "no free memory on Tron" ? Do you get this message for the first image you try to replace ?
Raster-0 has the same limitation than compressed images : it is not saved in-place (it could be, because the length is always the same, but I didn't do the conversion to this format).
Did you get an error at the end of the upgrade ?

What i mean is that i cant replace compressed-7 images (like the stern logo). When i try, i get an error message: Error-free memory has already been used) I understood your explanation to say you can only overwrite the raster images if there was no free space.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

What i mean is that i cant replace compressed-7 images (like the stern logo). When i try, i get an error message: Error-free memory has already been used)

On TRN_174LE, there are only 768 bytes left at the (safe) place I'm looking at...
and the 128x73 logo needs more than 4k in raster format

#114 5 years ago

Needs a way to delete some sections to fit more in for Tron. I made a pretty cool Gem animation and it would only let me upload just one picture frame. If i could upload multiple pics, i would use them as frames to replace the animations.

gemanim1.jpg

EDIT: I might be able to get a short version of the animation working, but i will have to reduce the quality quite a bit.

#115 5 years ago

That looks cool.

There is a whole arcade segment in the rom thats not used. What would happen if you removed the arcade segment and loaded up your GEM. How do you point the animation to the correct frames?

Quoted from Russo121:

Needs a way to delete some sections to fit more in for Tron. I made a pretty cool Gem animation and it would only let me upload just one picture frame. If i could upload multiple pics, i would use them as frames to replace the animations.

EDIT: I might be able to get a short version of the animation working, but i will have to reduce the quality quite a bit.

#116 5 years ago

As far as i'm aware you cant delete anything (really need to do that to make anything good) I could try overwriting the arcade video with this gem image by inserting one frame at a time. So, it would go like this:

Insert frame at beginning of arcade video sequence
>
patch firmware
>
Reload patched firmware
>
Insert next frame at next frame point in arcade video sequence
>
patch the patched firmware
>
etc...

A ball ache of tedium to do, but the only way i could see how to replace the animations. gem1.gif

If we could insert multiple images at every next frame point, then click on 'patch firmware' it could possibly work. When i try to do that it patches the firmware with the first image in the sequence only. The only way i thought to get the rest of the images in there was to patch the patched firmware, then patch the second patched firmware and so on until all the frames were loaded. Sadly, it would not let me load up more than one image that way.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Looks good !
Ok, let's try a specific memory test for TRN_174LE...
I compiled v1.45 for you : you should now have a lot of free memory (170k)
However, I cannot test it in real; so let me know how it works.

#118 5 years ago

Just tried the new 1.45 and its still the same. I cannot load more than one image into the gem video sequence. It does appear that i can only load the images into raster-12 locations.

All images in the gem video sequence are raster-0. It does allow me to change just one image in that cluster of raster-0 images, but when i patch the firmware and reload it for playback, the image is not in the place i selected and is now a singular 'raster-12' image amongst the raster-0 images.

If i import an image then move onto the next frame and try to import another, the first image is forgotton and only the next selected image will appear.

I also tried repatching a patched ROM again, and still get the 'memory has already been used' error.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

As far as i'm aware you cant delete anything (really need to do that to make anything good) I could try overwriting the arcade video with this gem image by inserting one frame at a time. So, it would go like this:
Insert frame at beginning of arcade video sequence
>
patch firmware
>
Reload patched firmware
>
Insert next frame at next frame point in arcade video sequence
>
patch the patched firmware
>
etc...
A ball ache of tedium to do, but the only way i could see how to replace the animations.
If we could insert multiple images at every next frame point, then click on 'patch firmware' it could possibly work. When i try to do that it patches the firmware with the first image in the sequence only. The only way i thought to get the rest of the images in there was to patch the patched firmware, then patch the second patched firmware and so on until all the frames were loaded. Sadly, it would not let me load up more than one image that way.

You can simplify this a lot : just choose the same file when you save your patched firmware (remove "-patched" in the suggested file name).
Be sure to make a backup of your original file.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You can simplify this a lot : just choose the same file when you save your patched firmware (remove "-patched" in the suggested file name).
Be sure to make a backup of your original file.

I tried that and it still says memory already used.

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Just tried the new 1.45 and its still the same. I cannot load more than one image into the gem video sequence. It does appear that i can only load the images into raster-12 locations.
All images in the gem video sequence are raster-0. It does allow me to change just one image in that cluster of raster-0 images, but when i patch the firmware and reload it for playback, the image is not in the place i selected and is now a singular 'raster-12' image amongst the raster-0 images.
If i import an image then move onto the next frame and try to import another, the first image is forgotton and only the next selected image will appear.
I also tried repatching a patched ROM again, and still get the 'memory has already been used' error.

It works on my side with my image (replacement of 0x1FA8).
Can you please PM me one of your images, so that I can test it ?

#122 5 years ago

I can replace just one image but no more than that. I want to add multiple images, frame by frame.

I will upload my images if you wish to try them anyway. Cheers. Export-1FA827.1.jpg Export-1FA827.2.jpg Export-1FA827.3.jpg Export-1FA827.4.jpg Export-1FA827.5.jpg Export-1FA827.6.jpg

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It works on my side with my image (replacement of 0x1FA8).
Can you please PM me one of your images, so that I can test it ?

One aditional thing : the test is specific to TRN_174LE
The filename must be TRN_174LE.BIN

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

One aditional thing : the test is specific to TRN_174LE
The filename must be TRN_174LE.BIN

Ah, i c. I am using TRN_174.BIN for the pro (i dont have an LE). I will try with that, but i wont be able to try the modified rom on my pro machine. Will i?

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Ah, i c. I am using TRN_174.BIN for the pro (i dont have an LE). I will try with that, but i wont be able to try it on my pro machine. Will i?

What's your filename ? I will try with it. [EDIT]Forget the question

#126 5 years ago

Not sure what you mean? The file i am trying to modify is: TRN_174.BIN

The image format of my gem images is .jpg (the only format the pinball browser will let me upload).

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

The image format of my gem images is .jpg (the only format the pinball browser will let me upload).

In v1.45, the specific Tron memory test is based on the file name.
That's why the app is not working with your file.

Just rename your file to TRN_174LE.BIN, and it will work (I made the test).

In next release, I'll check for TRN_174* (and not only TRN_174LE.BIN), and it won't be necessary to rename it.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

It should also work with .PNG and .BMP
Exports are in PNG.

#129 5 years ago

It does work now, but only with raster-12 images. I can place a single image with a raster-0, but not a succesion of images. Why is this?

I have managed to get my little animation into the ROM, but its where the FLYNN sign sequence starts @ 0x832.

The modified ROM with the gem animation in it can be downloaded here (for the pro):
http://speedy.sh/FxJYe/TRN-174.bin

#130 5 years ago

Does swapping modified code (of the same nominal version) cause a reset of stats and scores on a machine?

#131 5 years ago

If this thing could export the audio as clean wav files, things could get very .... interesting.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Does swapping modified code (of the same nominal version) cause a reset of stats and scores on a machine?

I would assume yes...you are basically doing a code update, right?

#133 5 years ago

If wiping the CMOS is part of the update procedure, and not part of the bootup procedure, yes... For example, I know that swapping between MM 1.09 and 1.09C doesn't erase anything, because the ROMs are the same version, although slightly different, and thus don't trigger a CMOS wipe on bootup after you switch chips. If SAM wipes it's nvram on boot, on a ROM version mismatch, the settings and scores may stay the same since the ROM code is still the same version.

Or, does SAM write settings and scores to the same flash as the game code itself? They would definitely be lost in that case.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v1.44 : Support for earlier SAM games

Wondering what specific games this means.

#135 5 years ago

Could this eventually be used to customize rules? I'd love to see an IJ4 update.

#136 5 years ago

It does work now, but only with raster-12 images. I can place a single image with a raster-0, but not a succesion of images. Why is this?
I have managed to get my little animation into the ROM, but its where the FLYNN sign sequence starts @ 0x832.
The modified ROM with the gem animation in it can be downloaded here (for the pro):
http://speedy.sh/FxJYe/TRN-174.bin

You did a nice animation !

I works on my side : I have replaced the 6 raster-0 images starting at 0x1fa8 with yours (see screen shot below).
How I did :
- rename TRN_174.BIN to TRN_174LE.BIN (with an underscore, not a dash)
- Select and analyse TRN_174LE.BIN
- load, patch 1st image, and save to the same file
- (no need to re-analyse the firmware in between)
- scroll 1 image right (0x1fab)
- ... same process for all images

Again, if the filename is not TRN_174LE.BIN, you'll have a "no free memory" message.
[EDIT]Starting with version 1.46, the filename does not matter anymore; no need to rename it.

gifanim.png

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

It didn't on my AC/DC : All the scores and audits were here after the update.
But I don't know if it's because of the version number that didn't change, or because the file crc is wrong (the upgrade process ends with an error even if it works).

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Wondering what specific games this means.

CSI, 24, ...

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Could this eventually be used to customize rules? I'd love to see an IJ4 update.

No. Modifying the code would be far more difficult...

#140 5 years ago

Does anyone think that the audio might be stored in the sped up form to save memory space?

I remember back when musical instrument samplers had tiny memories, that the samples would be "stretched" at a lower pitches because it saved a lot of memory.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does anyone think that the audio might be stored in the sped up form to save memory space?
I remember back when musical instrument samplers had tiny memories, that the samples would be "stretched" at a lower pitches because it saved a lot of memory.

I don't think so as it would be necessary to modify the embedded codecs.

#142 5 years ago

For those who cannot replace images because there is not enough memory, version 1.46 is available for download.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Makes a lot of sense to me, I was thinking either that or just a different sample rate for vocals and low fidelity stuff, perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 22050hz?

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I works on my side : I have replaced the 6 raster-0 images starting at 0x1fa8 with yours (see screen shot below).
How I did :
- rename TRN_174.BIN to TRN_174LE.BIN (with an underscore, not a dash)
- Select and analyse TRN_174LE.BIN
- (no need to re-analyse the firmware in between)
- scroll 1 image right (0x1fab)
- ... same process for all images
Again, if the filename is not TRN_174LE.BIN, you'll have a "no free memory" message.
[EDIT]Starting with version 1.46, the filename does not matter anymore; no need to rename it.

Awesome. I'm working on a much better animation for the gem finger sequence and this makes my life a lot easier. Thanks.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Awesome. I'm working on a much better animation for the gem finger sequence and this makes my life a lot easier. Thanks.

It would be great if you could post a small video of what you get on your pinball !

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I works on my side : I have replaced the 6 raster-0 images starting at 0x1fa8 with yours (see screen shot below).How I did :- rename TRN_174.BIN to TRN_174LE.BIN (with an underscore, not a dash)- Select and analyse TRN_174LE.BIN- load, patch 1st image, and save to the same file- (no need to re-analyse the firmware in between)- scroll 1 image right (0x1fab)- load, patch 1st image, and save to the same file- ... same process for all images
Again, if the filename is not TRN_174LE.BIN, you'll have a "no free memory" message.[EDIT]Starting with version 1.46, the filename does not matter anymore; no need to rename it.

Can you upload this modified rom for us to try? The one Russo121 modified is giving me a crc error and won't load. Perhaps the way you inserted the frames overwriting the other frames will be succesful.

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Can you upload this modified rom for us to try? The one Russo121 modified is giving me a crc error and won't load. Perhaps the way you inserted the frames overwriting the other frames will be succesful.

- I did not change anything in the frame replacement algorithm. I have just improved the way the app is looking for free memory. Previous versions were only looking at the place where I found free memory in AC/DC. New version is looking in the whole firmware.

- As I don't have any Tron pinball around, I just tried the app, not the upgrade. Sorry if that was not clear.

- The error at the end of the download is normal. That what I got on my AC/DC too.
But even if it says something like "upgrade failed", the images have been upgraded.
As it was working, I did not investigate on this; if this is an issue on some pinballs, I will.
The easiet thing to do is to replace the Stern logo and try the upgrade.

Let me know how it works for you.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Are you loading the rom into the pinball browser or into a real machine? It works fine in the 1.46 browser as well as 1.45 for me. I will redo the animation like oga mentions so it will hopefully be in the right place.

#149 5 years ago

Here is the ROM with the gem animation replacing the finger animation in the correct place this time. Works for me with the new and old browsers but not yet tried in my machine.:

http://speedy.sh/AMwZh/TRN-174.bin sternruss1.gif

I just realised i can replace the compressed-7 image where the stern logo is on the Tron ROM. WOOHOO!!!

#150 5 years ago

Was this segment used in Spiderman? If I recall this was the part in Spiderman-3 where venom made this in the web... Its really interesting peeking inside these animations. Look how much free space is still left in this one.

rom_tool.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 218.00
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centreville, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 63.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside