1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

938 posts in this topic match your search for posts by oga83. You are on page 2 of 4.
#1221 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Transferring scores shouldn't be done between software versions. The rules of the game change and so do scoring possibilities. So a high score on one version may or may not be significant on another.

This is correct but it depends on the version. Most of the time, new revisions have the same high score structure.

Anyway, whatever the revision, the communication feature allows you to edit your high scores (much more easy and flexible than editing the static flash default values). You can also backup your high scores to prevent you from loosing them in case you flash again with the same version (for a song replacement) and a factory reset occurs.

#1224 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I don't know how feasible this would be, but would it be possible to setup something like a Google Doc's share, and then let us upload/download bookmark files, and other non-copyright infringing files (macro files?)?

The next version will use an online database.
There will be a "sync bookmarks" feature so that we can share the song and image bookmarks :
When you click on "Sync", you will be able to download the bookmarks defined by others (and the ones you have defined will be uploaded for others) :

sync.pngsync.png

#1227 10 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Great feature.
What preference is given if the user has something different in the same location than what's in the database? Does the database take preference or the user?

The synchronization feature works as follow :

- All the bookmarks are saved on your machine in a .DAT file (as explained in the OP) and into an online database
- Each local bookmark has a "Synchronized" flag. When a bookmark is loaded from the online database, this flag is set (meaning it's in sync with the online database). Each time you add or modify a bookmark, this flag is cleared (meaning it needs to be uploaded).
- When you click on "Sync", all the bookmarks that are not synchronized (flag cleared) are uploaded to the online database, then all the bookmarks are downloaded from the online database, and all the flags are set.

In brief, it means that you have precedence over the online database (all the bookmarks you add or modify [and only them] will be saved into the online database). The last user who makes a modification has precedence over the previous ones.

#1230 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Can we get this for macros as well? If so, it'd be good if the macro and bookmarks could somehow be paired together on upload.

It's more difficult for macros because they are not structured like bookmarks (in particular, no unique Id)
However, they can easily be shared on the forum with a copy/paste

Quoted from flashburn:

How about art? Since it's dots, there shouldn't be any concerns of copyright infringement I'd think.

Images can also have a copyright, so I will not add a "share" feature for them.
What do you think about the ability to specify an url (and not only of a local filename as it is today) in the image and sound import macro ?

#1233 10 years ago

New feature

wave.pngwave.png

#1234 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Regarding bookmarks or url for sounds, I think the main limitation for customizing sounds is the fact that the sound length cannot be changed. If the sound length can be arbitrarily changed, then there would be a very large number of ideas and a large need to share.
As it currently stands, the sound length cannot be changed with the result that replacement sounds either get cut off or result in long silences. This problem limits the appeal of replacing the sound or greatly increases the work (as in the Star Trek music replacement effort).

Unfortunately, this is not possible for several reasons (that have already been explained here)

#1236 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

oga, is there anyway to extract a bunch of images at once to a folder instead of one at a time? Same goes for the audio, it would be cool to extract a bunch of samples at a time and pick and choose the exported files instead of one at a time.

Done, for both sounds and images

export.pngexport.png

#1239 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The synchronization feature works as follow :
- All the bookmarks are saved on your machine in a .DAT file (as explained in the OP) and into an online database
- Each local bookmark has a "Synchronized" flag. When a bookmark is loaded from the online database, this flag is set (meaning it's in sync with the online database). Each time you add or modify a bookmark, this flag is cleared (meaning it needs to be uploaded).
- When you click on "Sync", all the bookmarks that are not synchronized (flag cleared) are uploaded to the online database, then all the bookmarks are downloaded from the online database, and all the flags are set.
In brief, it means that you have precedence over the online database (all the bookmarks you add or modify [and only them] will be saved into the online database). The last user who makes a modification has precedence over the previous ones.

I have made an improvement : the out-of-sync bookmarks will be displayed and it will be possible to disable the sync for any of them.

sync2.pngsync2.png
#1240 10 years ago

v3.50 can be downloaded (link in OP)

Tell me what you think about the new features !

Change log :
v3.50: New GUI with bitmaps, icons and tooltips (that explains the version number jump)
Export multiple sounds or images at once*
Sounds and Images bookmarks online synchonization
New bookmark combo box features :
- Enter 0x123 into images combo box to jump to image 0x123
- Enter 0x123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound script 0x123
- Enter 123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound request 123
- Enter a Name and click on SetName to define a bookmark
Sound Requests and Scripts are displayed in the list for all sort orders
Macros are automatically saved and loaded in [FirmwareName].pbm
Communication patch is automatically loaded (can be disabled)

[EDIT] Number of bookmarks in the online database :
bookmarks.pngbookmarks.png

I hope these numbers will quickly increase !

#1241 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Has anyone had a chance to do much sound importing with the new Pinball Browser features?
I was wondering if volume on an MP3 clip could be boosted to the normal level of game sounds without popping? I know this was an issue for me when using Audacity until someone suggested using the compression tools in it.

I am also interested to know.
The volume feature in the current version does not use compression and I guess it can bring some saturation.
A compressor could be added but I need to know if it's worth it.

#1246 10 years ago

Oliver do you get a key in the email when you donate?

Yes, you just have to send me the "token id" that is displayed in the License dialog box.

1 week later
#1251 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Data East WWF running SmartDMD.
Picture really don't do it justice

Nice !
You can try to change the dot shape, use upscaling, and add background images

#1254 10 years ago

The next version will have a function to display some online bookmarks statistics :
stats.pngstats.png

Any idea for new features is also welcome

#1258 10 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Is there work on going to support colorizing individual Williams/Bally frames? At some point this was on the horizon for the extender project but then he changed his mind on releasing it (because his is a commercial product). I really hope this is in the works.
Thanks!

Not in the near future as there is no Williams/Bally in my neighborhood

#1259 10 years ago

hank527 found a bug in Pinball Browser : In some situations you cannot edit any images (an error is thrown when you close the editor).

I'll fix this bug in the next version; In the meantime, here is a workaround (you just need to do it once) :
- Go to the SmartDmd tab
- Click on Configure your SmartDmd device
- Validate the filename (you can keep the one that is proposed)
- Click on Save
- Close the SmartDmd Window

You can now edit your images

#1266 9 years ago
Quoted from KindOfRadNow:

Way to break your own program. Since switching to begware now NO SOUNDS can be imported, not even 24khz wav files!
(Audacity says they're 24khz mono wav files, your program says they're not and that I need a license. GOOD JOB! Er, not.)

PM me one of your sound files and I will tell you what's going on

#1267 9 years ago

Have you tried the latest? Import a 24khz wav file, and it claims it can't import anything except a 24khz wav file. Open older version of pinball browser, no problem, so clearly the file isn't the problem but the current version is borked. If he fixes it I'll donate, but not before!

Have you read the change log about the different sound engines ?
Try "Legacy".

#1269 9 years ago

Version v3.52 can be downloaded. See OP for link and change log.
Many thanks to hank527 and j_m_ for the 2 bugs they have reported.
@KindOfRadNow : yes, new versions can have bugs :-;

#1270 9 years ago

Way to break your own program. Since switching to begware now NO SOUNDS can be imported, not even 24khz wav files!
(Audacity says they're 24khz mono wav files, your program says they're not and that I need a license. GOOD JOB! Er, not.)

I'm wondering if you have an error message saying :
"Sorry, I can't use this file..." or "File is not a Wav !"
which means that your file has not been imported.

of just an information message saying :
"This version of Pinball Browser does not have the Sound Edit features. It can only import 24kHz-Wav files ! Click on License in the main window."
which does not mean that your file has not been imported. Just that it needs to have the correct format and cannot be edited in Pinball Browser.

Have you tried to play the sound once it has been imported ?

#1273 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

I just downloaded PB352 and when I tried to open my MET Pro 1.51 bin file it says: "You do not have any sound bookmarks for this firmware. Do you want to check online?" When I hit YES, it crashes with the following error. If I hit NO, then it doesn't crash.

Thank you for this feedback.
It happens on v3.52 when the bookmarks are saved.
This bug has been fixed in v3.54 (see OP for download).

1 week later
#1275 9 years ago

v3.55 is online !

This version is now compatible with multiple-language sounds :
Some games (POTC, FG and probably some others) have different languages for voice calls.
Thus, the number of sound scripts found by Pinball Browser has increased.
The current language can be selected in the advanced tab (it will be used for sounds, messages, adjustments and high scores)
Thanks to pinsider Rafa for reporting that some voice calls were missing in POTC.

The latest version can be downloaded at : http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser
If the downloaded version is not the latest one when you click on the download link, you have to clear your browser cache.

1 week later
#1276 9 years ago

I have uploaded v3.58
Fixes and improvements, mainly for the SmartDmd individual frame colorization.
Thanks to Monster_Bash for suggesting these improvements !

It can be downloaded at : http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser (If the downloaded version is not the latest one when you click on the download link, you have to clear your browser cache)

1 week later
#1278 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Sorry if I missed it (the thread is quite long) but I was wondering if there is a way to have a display frame showing (and updating) while you change the colors in a particular palette. Seems like that would be the easiest way to design a palette to colorize a particular image or family of images.

In v3.62, you can change your colors in the Image Editor and the frame is immediately updated.

#1279 9 years ago

v3.63 is online !

Most of the new features have been added in the Image Editor to ease the game colorization process.
- Zoom (400%, 600%, 800%)
- Hotkeys
Ctrl-Z : Undo
Ctrl-Y : Redo
C : ReplaceColor Tool
E : Ellipse Tool
F: FloodFill Tool
L: Line Tool
P: Pen Tool
R: Rectangle Tool
Z: Use next zoom factor
(The key is displayed in the "tool tip" when you place the mouse over the tool)
- Ctrl-click on the palette to modify a color; SmartDmd has to be configured (Advanced Tab) and selected (Display Tab)
- Better pointing accuracy
- Other minor improvements

Thanks to Monster_Bash and Caker137 for their suggestions !

#1282 9 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

essentially the better you get at cataloging the .bin file (page 25 of forum has Metallica song map locs for v151) to map the sounds locations (script numbers) the better and more satisfied you can be with your exact tinkerings.

You can also download the bookmarks (Sync button).
The MTL sound catalog is already in the online database.

#1283 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I don't know if the "this instance only" pertains to sound files. I think that is a text only option. I believe if you swap a song in one location....

Correct !

#1289 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Anyone else having this problem when trying to import bookmarks?
...I guess I'm going to fast. I donated, but haven't received a license key yet, so many features are limited. ...waiting for the license key.

No, this feature should work in all Pinball Browser versions.
Maybe an outage at the online database service.
I've just tried and it's working fine.
Could you please try again ?

#1291 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I just tried again and got the same error message

Do you have access to http://www.db4free.net/phpMyAdmin/ ?
If not, Pinball Browser cannot download the bookmarks.

1 week later
#1302 9 years ago
Quoted from SpiffyRob:

oga83, just a data point: I also can't access that URL and bookmarks DB doesn't work for me accordingly.

I'm still investigating. It seems that there is a DNS filtering based on geography on this site.

#1303 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I ran into a strange issue when trying to open X-Men LE 1.1 software.

X-Men v1.1 uses a sound script version that I've never seen on other games.

Today, Pinball Browser knows 3 different version for the sound scripts : v1 (FG,POTC,WOF,WPT), v2 (SHREK,CSI,24H, ...) and v3 (latest games)
As this game is between v2 and v3, I have to rename all the script version from v1 (FG) to v4 (latest games)

The next version of Pinball Browser will be able to open this game

#1306 9 years ago
Quoted from SpiffyRob:

I also can't access that URL and bookmarks DB doesn't work for me accordingly.

Quoted from oga83:

It seems that there is a DNS filtering based on geography on this site.

That's it
But I've found a workaround !
It should now be fixed (no need to upgrade Pinball Browser for this)

#1311 9 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

oga (or any other experienced users)... is there a way to batch import images?
In my mind it would work like this:
There is a 50 frame animation I want to replace (with 50 frames of my own making)
I'd need to map each of my frames to an existing frame. Once that is done, the filename of my replacement file, along with the *hash* value of the source image would be stored to a 'batch importing' file.
This would mean that if (eg) Metallica was updated again, and the locations of images changed, I could run the batch importer and it would still find/replace the original images with my replacements.
Is this possible, and if not, could it be added? More than happy to pay to see this implemented.

Macros are made for this
When you do something with Pinball Browser (import a sound, import or modify an image, change a string, ...) a macro is generated (Macro tab).
You can save/share your macros. They are meant to be replayed on a stock firmware.
In case the image/sound ids are modified (new firmware), you can even manually edit your macros as it's just text.
See OP for more details.

#1314 9 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Thanks for this, do you also know the id numbers for the respective songs so the track and text on dmd can be in 'sync'?
Cheers

Replace the song with Pinball Browser : the macro will include the corresponding id.
Or, as Arcade said above, select it in Pinball Browser : the id is displayed just below the scroll bar.

1 week later
#1322 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

How long does it take I get a license? I donated a week ago and never heard back. Had to use an old version to get my job done.

PM sent

#1323 9 years ago

v3.70 is online ! (link and change log in OP)

This version has a major enhancement on images : they are now compressed.
This saves a lot of memory into the firmware and allows full game colorization.

A big thank you to nerbflong, monster_bash, dugfreez, caker137 and others for their tests on many intermediate beta versions !

[EDIT] v3.71 is online !
It improves motion images modification.

1 week later
#1325 9 years ago

Pinball Browser can now open WPC firmwares

Extract from AFM :
0x02C4-953.gif0x02C4-953.gif

I know that some of you will be disappointed because the current version can only display dmd images...
But it's been a lot of work, and I'm still working on it.

A new check box is displayed when you open a WPC game : "Group with next frame"
Pinball Browser has now way to know which frames have 2 color layers (instead of 1). With this checkbox, you tell Pinball Browser that the current frame has 2 layers. This info is stored in the <FirmwareName>.dat file that you can share with others.

As usual, the download link is in the OP.

4 weeks later
#1348 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm not sure if you can just replace one song fragment (the one that plays after the match sequence) and it not mess up the original song in the game

Sound Request (ie game actions) are made of several Sound Scripts (ie a single call or song).
Sound Scripts are made of several Sound Fragments (each one is only a few seconds long).
Only sound scripts (thus Sound Requests) can be modified with Pinball
Browser.

Moreover :
A Sound Script can be used by several Sound Requests.
A Sound Fragment can be used by several Sound Scripts.

This explains why modifying a short version of a song also modifies the longer versions; that's why it's always better to modify the longest sound script of a song.

#1349 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I've been wondering...does anyone know of any sound editing software that will let you open a sound clip and then type in a time length. Then the software would have that length highlighted and you can slide the highlighted area along the original sound clip so you could hear how a sound loop of that length would sound with the time length positioned where it is on the original clip.

Pinball Browser embedded sound editor almost does this. The duration is preconfigured with the Sound Script length (but you can reduce it) and you can use the scrollbar to move your starting point.

#1350 9 years ago

Sega is an early whitestar boardset and is not supported.

Yet

#1355 9 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Hey there this program is awesome although I am very new to it and haven't got it to work on my AC/DC quite yet I have got the songs to change in the program and play fine when you test them but when I go to update my machine the update progresses through its normal course and at the end when it tells me to remove USBI do so flip switch eight back to its normal position and try to reboot when I cycle the power the game does not boot up at all and the screen stays blank also the game works fine on it's normal 1.68 code any help would be much appreciated

Disable "Auto install communication patch" (advanced tab)
Unfortunately, you have to redo your modifications on a stock firmware.

At present time, the communication patch is not compatible with AC/DC 1.68

#1358 9 years ago

Ok I disabled that and had the same issue will it not work at all with 1.68 also I tried to find 1.65 on sterns site but they only have 1.68 listed.

Did you start again from scratch with a stock firmware after disabling this option ?
Other than that, I can't see any reason why it does not work.

Has anybody else used Pinball Browser on AC/DC 1.68 ?

#1362 9 years ago

also while looking for bookmarks it says cannot connect to remote database

Some people also experienced this issue (the database provider seems to filter some ip based on the location) but this is not related to your problem. I'll investigate on it when I'm back from holidays.

What happens when you reboot the pinball ? Does it reboot over and over again ? What's on the DMD ?

#1367 9 years ago

I will try using the program on my other computer this evening to see if that changes things

Did it work ?

1 week later
#1370 9 years ago

Version 4.01 is online

The communication patch is now working with the newest firmwares (AC/DC 1.68, ...).
This version is also ready for PinballMikeD AC/DC mod.

#1376 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I started to colorize X-Men firmware and I found a small problem.
For example:
1°) I create 4 palettes A,B,C & D.
2°) I link a frame with palette C
3°) I delete palette B
4°) I reopen my frame and it is now linked with palette D.
I suppose that frame is not linked with the name of the palette but with a number that is updated in the palette list when you modify it but not in the firmware.
Is it possible to populate the modification in the firmware ?

The palette index is stored into the frames. When you delete a palette that is used in a frame, its index will then point to the next palette.
The only solution would be to change all the related frames back to the default palette; but this is not possible as it would take far too long (PB needs to check all the frame).
The only solutions are :
- Extract the related palette macro lines from the whole macro (use grep), adjust the palette index and play these macro lines again
- or, add a new palette at the same index

#1377 9 years ago
Quoted from credinger:

Repost- I can;t figure this out & wondering if any other Metallica owners are getting the same problem ?
Metallica Premuim.
Replaced One & Unforgiven.
Everything sounds good except at the end of aball , the music stops dead and I just get the sounds for the scores. I am pretty sure the music used to continue through those. Now the music stops dead and only the end of ball sound effects play, sometimes 1-20 I might eventually hear the song at a lower volume right before the next ball starts.
I used the bookmarks to get the song locations and then imported the new song using the 4.x version where I didn;t need to use audacity etc

Most likely, the new song is shorter than the original one.
In this case, there is no sound for the remaining time.
As explained earlier in this thread, this behaviour cannot be changed in Pinball Browser

#1380 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have replaced numerous songs on my friends Metallica. It was never an issue before the latest update

Do you mean the latest update of Pinball Browser (4.01) or of MTL firmware (1.6) ?

Quoted from DugFreez:

I also believe this has happened when playing original songs in the game that were not replaced.

On a stock firmware ? or after some other modifications with Pinball Browser (dmd frames, strings, ...) ?

#1383 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I meant the latest version of the Metallica firmware (1.6 Premium/LE).
I made changes (audio only) to my friends Metallica on 2 previous Metallica updates. All was well. Yet with the latest Metallica update...their game sometimes hits dead spots in the music.
Keep in mind, I did not use a macro from an earlier version to make the changes. I did all changes manually as I always have. As I mentioned, I believe that they said the "dead air" spots sometime hit during the songs that were not altered...but I haven't heard this being an issue with the 1.6 stock firmware.

Thanks.
Anyone else knows if this also happens on a stock 1.6 firmware ? or only when the firmware has been modified by Pinball Browser ?

Quoted from credinger:

Everything sounds good except at the end of a ball , the music stops dead and I just get the sounds for the scores. I am pretty sure the music used to continue through those. Now the music stops dead and only the end of ball sound effects play, sometimes 1-20 I might eventually hear the song at a lower volume right before the next ball starts.

Could you please send me a macro (that replaces 1 single song) with which you can reproduce this issue ? I don't have any MTLE around but I can try to figure out what's going on with such a macro.

#1384 9 years ago

Some of you have reported that it was not possible anymore to synchronize the bookmarks with the online database ("Cannot connect to remote database" error message).

For some time, this was related to a geographic filtering by the database provider...
More recently, the database access was revoked without notice because too many users were connected at the same time...

So, I have moved the database to another provider (again, as it is the 3rd time !).
And the bookmark database feature is working again

No need to upgrade Pinball Browser to make it work. All the necessary changes have been made online.

#1388 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I edited the songs and went to import them in 4.0, however it complains that only 24000 is supported (which the songs are)

Most likely, you song has been correctly imported with 4.0 but the message can be confusing : More information here

Quoted from Max_Badazz:

that code throws the error code 8

Using v2 has corrupted your firmware crc, but this is not an issue : More information here

If you have ever used some older v3 versions in the past, the "Auto install communication patch" option is probably enabled (advanced tab). Pinball Browser v4.00 (communication patch 2.09) is not compatible with ac/dc v1.68... and your pinball will not boot with it.
More information here

Use v4.01, start with a stock firmware again, and everything should be fine
See here

#1404 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

1°) It seems that there is a problem of refresh of the display for pictures of type "Motion" with a palette attached.
Picture "n+1" is displayed without clean-up of "n" one. See hand or ball on the attached picture.

Well done ! I'm surprised that we did not see this earlier.
This is one of the most complicated part in Pinball Browser. The issue is not in the rendering but rather in the frame compression once it has been edited. Motion frames are stacked on top of a key frame. When a frame is edited, it is compared to the key frame (and also the previous frames) to determine the changes. This obviously needs to be improved; I'll work on this soon.

Quoted from Elwood_BE:

2°) In X-Men firmware, some pictures have a very small width. In fact, less that the number of pixels used by PB to store the palette. If you try to attach a palette, an 'Unhanded exception occurs'.

I will be corrected in the next version.

Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Is it not possible in this case to store the palette in multiple lines ?

Unfortunately no, because SmartDmd needs to know the palette to use before displaying a frame.
As a frame is displayed line-by-line, this information has to be stored in the first line.

Be aware that these kind of animations inherits the palette of the frame they are being played over.
A final DMD frame is often made of a background frame and one or more animation frames.
SmartDmd will display the composite frame (without knowing how it has been built); thus, it will use the palette that is stored in the composite frame; most of the time it is the background frame (not the animation).

#1405 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I think that Oga said that it's possible to make macros that include all changes done. If it's true, yes, I will release them but it's not for tomorrow.
I defined a palette in greyscale as default one to have a usable result even all frames are not yet colorized.

Yes, macros are mainly made for this

#1408 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Your explanation is logic but quite annoying. it means we haven't any certainty of used palette for all frames with a transparency (typically the ones that will be displayed above another) and a single "foreground" frame can be displayed with multiple different palettes depending the background one.
Thus, the only solution to have full control of what is displayed is to use a unique palette for all frames but in this case, 16 colors is not enough. Is it a choice or is it a technical limitation to allow only 16 colors for each palette ?

Most of the time, a given set of animation frames is always played over the same background : setting the palette into this background should work fine.
16 colors / palette is a technical limitation : A dmd frame on the pinball only has 16 grey levels.

#1409 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that's because stern uses the electronic arts program 'Deluxe Paint Animation' to create the DMD animations

Now, they are using Pinball Browser editor

#1411 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

In v.4, I unchecked the auto install patch, made my text changes, then saved out......loaded it up to ACDC and boom....still nothing (just has a blank DMD). I made sure to download a fresh copy of the ROM from Stern and tried one more time...still no luck

Did you disable the "Auto install communication patch" option before loading a stock firmware ? (the patch is applied at the time you load a firmware, not when you save it).
Can you PM me a macro for the changes you made ?

#1414 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

It will be useful when a new firmware will be delivered (?) to be able to import multiple frames.

The macros are made for this !
When a new firmware is released, it is rather easy to adjust the frame ids that are listed in a macro (in case a new frame is added in the middle).
Imo, It would be more difficult with a bulk-import feature.

#1417 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

1°) It seems that there is a problem of refresh of the display for pictures of type "Motion" with a palette attached.
Picture "n+1" is displayed without clean-up of "n" one. See hand or ball on the attached picture.

Quoted from Elwood_BE:

2°) In X-Men firmware, some pictures have a very small width. In fact, less that the number of pixels used by PB to store the palette. If you try to attach a palette, an 'Unhanded exception occurs'

Both issues have been corrected in v4.02

#1420 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Having issues using Crossover and the Pinball browser on my mac? I can get the program to load fine but when I try to load the .bin file it just sits there and won't open it? Anybody having this issue or can help.....

I don't have any mac, so I can't test it

Could you try the following things ?
- open a file that is not a valid firmware (any .txt or .doc file will do the trick). Depending on what you get, it will help to see where it hangs;
- In the "Advanced" tab, disable the "Check for upgrades at startup" and "Auto install communication patch" options;
- In the "Advanced" tab, select the "Legacy" sound engine.
And let me know what are the results.

#1421 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Must I reimport "Motion" frames from original firmware for which I already set a palette or the bug didn't alter the frame and it was just a problem of display ?

The issue was in the editor, not in the display engine : the frames have been altered...
You can either :
- import the bad frames from a stock firmware
- play your whole macro on a stock firmware (this will also improve the available free memory)
- edit the first frame that has an issue and erase the wrong pixels with transparent ones (these modifications will be inherited in the following frames).

#1427 9 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Ver. 4.02 I cannot import 24khz mono wav files and I exported an original wav from the BIN which also doesn't let me reimport. I also tried wav's from the forum that others say worked.

This message is only a warning to remind you some limitations of the free version (in particular : no sound editor - 24kHz-wav only - see OP for a full list).
It does not mean that your file cannot be imported (as long as it is in the correct format).
If your file is not a 24kHz-wav file, you'll have the message "File has a bad format !"

I admit that it can be confusing and I'll add "if your file is a 24kHz-Wav, it will be imported with this version" in the next version.

#1430 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

this is a great product.
i tested a lot at the Weekend and colrized about may be 10-20 % of ST LE
but now i have the Problem
"not enough Memory"
so i think there is no way to colrize a complete game

When you modify a compressed or motion frame, it can be moved toward free memory (this happens when the compression yields a larger chunk of memory than the original one)
When you do it several times, the free memory becomes fragmented.
The only way to recover some free memory is to :
- rearrange your macros so that all the modifications for one specific frame are grouped together
- then play your macro again on a stock firmware
The amount of memory that is recovered with this procedure can be important but keep in mind that the total free memory has a limit :-; (this limit depends on the game)

That's another reason why it's important to keep and maintain your macros !

#1432 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

dont realy understand "the macro function"
coul i upload my latest fw
with the macro Infos and you take a look at it?

Each time you modify something with Pinball Browser, a macro is logged (in the "Macros" tab).
Your macros can be shared so that others can apply the same modifications.
This way, you don't have to share files on which you don't have copyrights.

These macros can also be used to recover some free memory in case of fragmentation (see this post).

For example, on AC/DC, imagine that you modify the Stern logo frame as follow :

1 - you decide to add a black pixel on the dot of the letter 'i' in the world "Pinball" , the following macro will be generated :

-- Pinball-Browser Macro for AC/DC v1.65
CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x165
EditImage,0x5A5
{
Pen,58,59,0,0,1,0,15
}

2- Later (after you have closed the editor), you decide to replace a color by another one in the same frame.
Another macro will be added at the end :

EditImage,0x5A5
{
Pen,58,59,0,0,1,0,15
}
EditImage,0x5A5
{
ReplaceColor,28,49,0,0,1,15,15
}

4- Now, someone can load a stock firmware and play you macros. By doing so, he'll apply all your modifications on a stock firmware. No need to share binaries

5- Clearly, the above macros are not optimized (2 modifications for the same frame) and can lead to fragmented memory (and a loss of usable memory for your modifications).
If you need to recover some free memory, you can group all the modifications of a specific frame as follow :

EditImage,0x5A5
{
Pen,58,59,0,0,1,0,15
ReplaceColor,28,49,0,0,1,15,15
}

6- Now, if you play your optimized macros on a stock firmware, you will unfragment the memory and recover some free memory

#1438 9 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

Does this not work with the new Metallica code, or is it just me

There will be a new version soon for MTL163

#1440 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

hi!
but cannot write more lines into the macro section ?!?!?

What do you mean ? You can't enter text anymore ?
Send me your macro if you want me to have a look on this.

#1441 9 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

Does this not work with the new Metallica code, or is it just me

Fixed in v4.03
See OP for download link.

#1443 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

sent email
have only 2 free lines at the macro section
but enough free space in the firmware
!?!?!
thx
tom

I think there is a 32k size limit for the macros. I have to investigate on this.
In the meantime, you can split you macros in 2 and play them separately.

#1446 9 years ago
Quoted from malcor:

I'm having an issue with Pinball Browser 4.02 and 4.03 with STLE1.5. I'm getting two errors, as can be seen from the attached images. Pinball Browser 4.00 loads the file with no errors.
Also, thanks so much for making and supporting such an awesome program!

First message : the communication patch is probably not compatible with STLE1.5.
Second message : Pinball Browser has detected that the communication patch was not compatible and has removed it, so that the firmware will not crash when you upgrade your pinball.

v4.00 was not able to detect this : that's why you didn't have these messages (the patch was loaded but the modified firmware would not work).

Disable the option "Auto install communication patch" in the advanced tab. This way, Pinball Browser will not try to load the patch and you won't have these messages anymore.

#1447 9 years ago

Duplicate

#1451 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

when i run the macro i have always to answer some questions" weird to define a palette for not full screen image" but this images will be shown in color only when i color it on ST ?!

Most of the time it is useless to define a palette in a frame that will not fill the entire dmd.
This palette won't be used (it's the palette of the underlying background that will be used instead).

The rule is that SmartDmd will only use the palette information that is stored in the top-left corner of the final dmd image. An animation frame (that is often a 'sprite') will generally not follow this rule.

This message means that Pinball Browser might have detected such a situation.
See also here

#1457 9 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Feature request: could you post process the macro files to automatically group changes to a single frame

I've already been working on this; it should be included in the next version

#1458 9 years ago

v4.04 is online

A function to optimize macros has been added (it groups all the modifications related to a specific frame)
Macros are not limited to 32k anymore

#1460 9 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Thanks Oga. The automatic link to the new version via the software itself doesn't work (403 - Forbidden) but your link in the first post is ok.

You have to clear your internet browser cache. I guess that it still contains the old version url which does not exist anymore (Pinball Browser is checking for a new version at http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowserupdate).

Quoted from Elwood_BE:

the limitation of free memory is a temporary limitation or it is impossible to solve ?
I don't understand how some people success to change an entire firmware with so few memory...

The memory is a limited resource it depends on the game and how it is programmed (code, number of frames, sounds, ...)
There are some hints to optimize memory when you want to colorize a game :
- No need to set a palette in all animation frames; only the first one is needed (and use the SmartDmd "Use current palette when a frame has no information" option)
- Do not set palettes in frames that are not full-dmd; it's no use (see here)
- From time to time, optimize your macros ("Optimize" button in the "Macros" tab) and play them on a stock firmware

2 weeks later
#1463 9 years ago

Sorry for taking so long to answer

Quoted from DugFreez:

What are most of these "Search Firmware / Edit String" messages anyway? Where are they seen in the game...if they are seen?

In a firmware, most of the messages are stored in a dedicated structure. The main purpose of this structure is localization (each message has 5 different languages). Pinball Browser knows this structure and, thus, can display, browse and modify all its messages.

On the other hand, some strings are not stored in this structure (examples : the version id that is displayed in the Service Menu, formatting strings, ...). Some part of code directly reference the address of these strings. That's why Pinball Browser cannot list them (it would be far too long) or relocate and enlarge them (no easy-to-locate pointers). The search string must be longer than 4 letters, mainly for performance issues; I will lower it to 3 in the next version (don't ask me 2, because I tried and it dramatically reduces performances).

One special case is the song names : Pinball Browser could locate/modify them but I did not handle this case as the "Edit String" will do the trick.

Quoted from DugFreez:

Is there any way to list or browse through the items listed in the Edit String window (Messages / Search Firmware)?

No, for the reasons I have explained above.

#1466 9 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Are you by chance working on the ability to decode and encode audio for WPC? That would be epic!!!!

I've been working on the WPC DCS for some time to decode the sounds but it's still not working
Have you noticed that Pinball Browser can already open WPC firmwares and display the DMD frames ?

2 weeks later
#1475 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is the main hurdle of this feature decompilation of existing the code? It seems like this would be difficult as code would need to be extracted from the BIN file that Stern provides customers. Opening a Stern code update in BIN file format in a text editor doesn't generate readable text.

This is the easiest part. With the correct tools, you can get a source code that can be compiled again to generate the same binary.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder what are the major hurdles to access and edit a games code?

However, having the source code from the binary does not mean that you can easily understand it...
Many design informations are missing (it has no comments, no friendly variables/functions names and it barely knows any internal structures, ...).
Searching or guessing all of the missing informations is called "reversing the code" and this is the main difficulty.

#1476 9 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

Hello,
Is it planned to be able to change WPC frames?

I've been working on this for a while and I still have a lot of work to acheive it.

Pinball Browser is already able to open WPC firmwares and display the DMD frames (since v4.00) but there has been very little interest in this feature.

#1478 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

This might explain the quality / timeliness of their code drops
Do you know what its written in? Or is it completely proprietary?

No, these informations are stripped by the compiler.
I guess it's written in C.

3 weeks later
#1490 9 years ago

Somebody asked me how to replace a song name that is not listed in the "Messages" tab.
Here is how :
1- Go to to the "Messages" tab
2- Click on "Search Firmware"
3- Enter a song name (or a part of it). Be carefull that this search text is case sensitive.
4- Click on "Search" and select the text you want to modify in the list
5- Enter the new text in the "Replace with" field
6- Click on "Replace"

strings1.pngstrings1.png

#1495 9 years ago

Version 4.10 has been released.

A new function has been added ("Extend memory" in the "Advanced" tab) : after using this function, more free memory will be available for complex SmartDmd colorizations.
See how the total free memory increases in the Pinball Browser right panel

Change log and Url are in the OP.

#1516 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

HELP! I tried downloading Pinball Browser but got the following message... is the site down, or is something wrong at my end?
Thanks for any help!
PB prob.jpg 33 KB

I've just checked and it works.
Try to clear your browser cache.

#1517 9 years ago

New version v4.13 is available !

New functions :
Search field for macros : usefull when you want to locate a specific macro with a long list
Image Editor :
- New Zoom factors
- Scrollbars added : usefull when the zoom factor is important
- Properties button added (just to display the image size; more in the future !)
- Temporary display palette for sprites : for animations that are played over a background (sprites), the palette is inherited from the background (and, thus, you can't assign a specifi palette to them). However, while editing this kind of sprites, it is usefull to temporarily use the background palette. You can now do this.

4 weeks later
#1522 9 years ago
Quoted from JDee:

hey oga83, are there news with the bally/williams side?

The Williams features that are in Pinball Browser have not been very successfull so far.
Only a few guys asked for more features, so I've been working on other Stern features.

#1523 9 years ago
Quoted from Theguyoverthere:

I download this program and tried double clicking on the exe to run it, and nothing happens. No windows pop up, just nothing...

First time I hear this. Which Windows version ?
Make sure that you first unzip all the files in a directory. Don't run it from the compressed archive you've downloaded.

3 weeks later
#1552 9 years ago
Quoted from milhouse:

Here is my contribution for TWDLE.

This is great !
As you also have uploaded your bookmarks in the online database, everyone can download them with the 'Sync' button in Pinball Browser. Thanks !

#1553 9 years ago

Version 4.20 is available !
There has been a lot of rework in it to support the new side-channel colorization in SmartDmd.
I did a lot of tests, but if you come to find any weird behaviour, please report.

See here for the new SmartDmd functions.

#1556 9 years ago

Version 4.30 is available

This is the first localized version : English, French and German
Please forgive my German; any help for improvement will be appreciated !

#1561 9 years ago
Quoted from milhouse:

if a filename has a comma in it, PB can't handle it.

Only in the macro list : it's because the macro separator is a comma.
I could have used a different character or handle the comma inside a double-quoted filename but, when I wrote it, I did not think it would be an issue

#1562 9 years ago

The new version v4.32 fixes some language issues for French and German users.
If you are using Pinball Browser in English, you don't need to download it : there is no differences compared to the previous version (v4.30).

#1566 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Or how about a map so we know where the songs are located and length? Pro version please. Thanks!

Look at the bookmarks (see OP). They might help for this

#1569 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

PinballBrowser doesn't work with Williams/Bally roms.

Pinball Browser can't modify Williams roms but it can read them and display the dmd frames.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't know if the WMS hardware does any checksumming on the rom data to see if it's been altered.

There is a checksum. Pinball Browser displays it in the info panel.

#1573 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Where are the book marks?

Bookmarks
- For sounds and images, the combo box (right next to the scrollbar), will give you a direct access to them when you select the corresponding line. You can enter a new name, or modify an existing one : enter the name, and click on 'Set Name'.
- You can synchonize them with the online database : click on Sync
- You can also :
* Enter 0x123 into images combo box to jump to image 0x123
* Enter 0x123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound script 0x123
* Enter 123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound request 123
- Additional info here and here

#1576 9 years ago
Quoted from Colnagocolumbia:

oga83 and epthegeek - I tried a hex editor and found several instances of "Bob" that I changed to "Ray." However, when I used Pinball Browser to view the dmd frames of this edited ROM, there were no changes from the original ROM.
I'm I missing something here or is what I'm trying to do impossible? Thanks..

Indeed, you can use a hex editor to change text in the firmware.
And you'll see the result in the Messages tab of Pinball Browser (or in the Search Firmware function).
However, changing the DMD frames with a hex editor is much more complicated. It's far more easier to use the image editor in Pinball Browser.

Also, when using a hex editor :
- you'll corrupt the firmware checksum (but it's not so important : you'll just get an "error 8" message at the end of the upgrade process, but the upgrade will work anyway)
- you can't extend the size of the message you are changing (Pinball Browser can do it for most of the messages because it can relocate them in free memory).

#1579 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Remember, though, he's trying to tweak a junkyard rom. Not a Stern game.

Ok, I didn't know

#1585 9 years ago
Quoted from fujur:

with Pinball-Browser version 4.32 and trying to open The Walking Dead LE image 1.19 I'm getting "Cannot open file"

It works for me. You should try to download your bin file again.
Anyone else has this problem ?
twd.pngtwd.png

1 week later
#1600 9 years ago

OGA83: Are there any prospects of a future version of Pinball Browser fully supporting bally/williams? If so, when? Thanks.

Try to use the sound engine "Media Foundation".
(other engines don't support all the variations of the Wav file format).
It might not be available on some old XP/Vista Windows version.

#1601 9 years ago

OGA83: Are there any prospects of a future version of Pinball Browser fully supporting bally/williams? If so, when? Thanks.

As I said before, I've been working on this for a while.
It's not that easy and I can't tell when.

#1603 9 years ago
Quoted from Roka67:

When I edit a image in Paint and then import it in Version 4:32, I get this error.
In version 4.11 it works perfectly.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I think this issue was introduced in 4.20 and fixed in v4.36.
Please try v4.36 and let me know.

#1605 9 years ago
Quoted from Roka67:

Now I get this message even if I try to import an image that I have not edited. Probably it's something I'm doing wrong but I do not know what it is.

Open the SmarDmd configurator and close it. This should solve your issue.
If not, close Pinball Browser, delete your Pinball-Browser.xml config file and retry.

Does anyone else have this issue ?

#1610 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I believe all of the sound swapping that takes place in pinball browser is replacing Sound Scripts. I also believe that if you swap a Sound Script....it will always change all of it's associated Sound Requests.

Correct !

1 week later
#1634 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I just downloaded the Pinball Browser but I can't play any of the sound files

Which Windows version are you using ?
On some old versions like XP, you have to select another sound engine.
Try another "Sound Engine" in the advanced tab.

#1635 9 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Downloaded the prog and donated. Unfortunately, I would really like to use it asap Anyone know the details on the license? Does it come in an email or?

You should have received an email by now
It was just a question of time difference.

#1637 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Would this be necessary with Windows Vista too?

Not sure, but I think so.
Anyway, if you are using Windows Vista, it's easy to test it : just select another sound engine in the advanced tab.

2 weeks later
#1660 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

V4.38 does not work with the new STLE1.6 code.
The Highscore table is garbage on load.

Fixed in v4.40

#1664 9 years ago

During the firmware analysis, Pinball Browser was finding a 'false positive' location for the high scores.
This was an easy fix. I wish it was always like this

#1672 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It was pretty simple to migrate. A single sound request was inserted so somewhere around sound request 36 it becomes 37 and everything moves up one after that. Very easy to tell if you look at the track length per request.

If you have saved your macros, you can adjust them when a new firmware is released by adding "ShifId" lines.
The syntax is as follow :

ShiftId,[Type],[OldId],[NewId]
where :
- [Type]=0 for images, 1 for sounds scripts
- [OldId] is the first object to be shifted (all the following ones will also be shifted until a new ShiftId tells otherwise)
- [NewId] is the corresponding new id. The keyword "ignored" can also be used to tell that the specified object (and the following ones until a new ShiftId tells otherwise) does not exist anymore.

For example, a list of macros designed for AC/DC LE can be adjusted for AC/DC Pro by adding the following lines at the beginning (to keep it simple, this is only for images, some lines would be needed for the sounds) :
ShiftId,0,0x5a1,ignored
ShiftId,0,0x5ab,0x5a1

The first line means that the image 0x5a1 (and the following ones) in the LE does not exist in the Pro
The second line means that all images starting at 0x5ab in the LE are at position 0x5a1 in the Pro

#1673 9 years ago
Quoted from bsnelson:

have an easy one: Can I change the custom message (the one in the menus that's called "CUSTOM MESSAGE") in the ROM image so that I don't have to sit there and do the three button dance for 10 minutes to do it on the machine?

This is easy :
- Go to the "Messages" tab
- Search for "Participate" to locate the message "Participate inlocal tournaments" (this is the default custom message)
- Edit the message

However, there is a carriage return between IN and LOCAL that is not displayed and Pinball Browser is not able to use it when you modify this message. So, for now, your message has to fit on a single line. I'll try to fix this in the next version.

#1677 9 years ago
Quoted from bsnelson:

No, apparently if the CRC is broken when Pinball Browser opens it, it won't try to fix it. I guess that's a good safety feature, because PB has no idea if you have a genuinely corrupt file or a carefully edited one, and the former would be more likely in most cases.
Brad

That's it. Pinball Browser can only guess the position of the CRC.
To make sure his guess is correct, Pinball Browser checks that the value is the expected one when it opens the firmware. If not, Pinball Browser assumes that his guess was wrong and, thus, cannot fix the CRC.

#1678 9 years ago
Quoted from bsnelson:

Thanks! Being a software guy, I'm going to try an experiment. I entered my text (I need three lines) and used "X" where I'd want the line feeds (it's an 0x0A, not a 0x0D) and then I hexedited the file to change the "X"s to LF. Of course, it doesn't pass CRC now, but posts upthread suggest that that's OK as long as I don't verify. I'll have a chance to load it up today or tomorrow and see if it works.
Thanks again for this awesome tool!
Brad

Good idea ! I will work.
To make it easy for everyone, Pinball Browser will be able to use carriage returns in the next version.
They will be displayed with pipe characters (|).

To be accurate, you are right, it's LF, not CR.

3 weeks later
#1685 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

This is easy :
- Go to the "Messages" tab
- Search for "Participate" to locate the message "Participate inlocal tournaments" (this is the default custom message)
- Edit the message
However, there is a carriage return between IN and LOCAL that is not displayed and Pinball Browser is not able to use it when you modify this message. So, for now, your message has to fit on a single line. I'll try to fix this in the next version.

Done in new version 4.41

#1686 9 years ago

Pinball Browser v4.41 is ready
The number of SmartDmd palettes has been increased from 32 to 255.
The pipe character "|" can be used for "carriage return" in multi-line messages

3 weeks later
#1695 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Does the Pinball Browser work on the new SPIKE system? I assumed it didn't. If not, are there plans for the SPIKE system in the future?

No, Pinball Browser is not compatible with Spike ...yet

1 week later
#1708 8 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I have pinbrowser set up at my office for quick checking of things and tried to play an audio file. It just tells me it can't play the audio file. What would cause this?
Im running 4.13 here.

It can happen on old Windows versions.
Try another sound engine (advanced tab).

1 week later
#1710 8 years ago

Spike is coming
Spike1.pngSpike1.png

Some more :
Spike2.pngSpike2.png

#1717 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Personally, i cannot see a "shift" pattern that makes sense

First of all, you should sort the list by "sound scripts", like this :
twd.pngtwd.png
It is easier to see where new sound scripts have been inserted (or older sound scripts deleted).

I have squared the new sound scripts on the right.
The corresponding macro is :
ShiftId,1,0x30,0x32
ShiftId,1,0x31,0x34
This is only an example and I did not check the other changes further in the list (536 scripts have been added between those 2 versions !).

#1720 8 years ago

Pinball Browser is currently being modified and tested for WWE

1 week later
#1722 8 years ago

Pinball Browser will be able to display/replace videos
Spike3.pngSpike3.png

#1725 8 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

YouTube link coming shortly to show custom videos actually playing on the LCD screen! I've created a few classic replacements which fit the Legends theme beautifully.

I can't wait to see the videos !

Quoted from TheKreator:

The video files are 320x240 at 20fps. The trick is getting the 20fps as Premiere doesn't support that format, so you have to get creative and export at either 15 or 24 as a JPG sequence, manually delete or copy some of the frames, then import the sequence into After Effects. After Effects actually does allow export at 20FPS into the final video file, which is great because I've built 3D logos and text to overlay on some retro VHS video clips.

Pinball Browser can convert the resolution but not the fps. You can import any video format supported by 'ffmpeg'. The result is better when the resolution is a multiple of 320x240 (like 740x480).
I tried to keep it easy to use : Just open the .spk file, import new videos and use the .spk file to upgrade your pinball machine.
Replacing videos is even easier than modifying sounds on Sam games

Quoted from TheKreator:

This is really exciting and I can't thank oga83 enough for both allowing me to assist and test the software, and having developed a tool that gives us the ability to import our own content! The possibilities are endless for a game like WrestleMania, especially those of us with the LE and a love of classic pro wrestling!

Thank you for the tests you are doing !
As I don't have access to a Spike machine, it's not easy to adjust Pinball Browser.

#1729 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

You mean new Videos for the WWE TFT ?!?
i thought you find a way to display real Videos at the smartdmd

It's on its way but I've been distracted by Spike

#1732 8 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

So Pinball browser will also be able to change out songs on the spike system too?

Yes

1 week later
#1736 8 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

It looks like this is getting flagged as a virus again by google and can't be downloaded...

You can download it, this is only a warning.
www.VirusTotal.com checks 57 virus databases and only finds 1 false positive ("Cyren").
I guess that's why Google Drive displays a warning but, unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this.
[EDIT] I have filed a false positive report but I'm not sure they'll take it into acount

// Error: Image 418685 not found //

#1739 8 years ago

My false positive report has just been taken into account.
Virustotal.com (Google subsidiary) is now all green
Google Drive is working fine.

2 weeks later
#1741 8 years ago

Someone reported to me that it is not possible to modify the "ABC" high scores on MTL with Pinball Browser.

The reason is that all these high scores point to the same unique "ABC" string into the firmware.
Thus, modifying the string for one high score impacts all the other ones that use the same string.
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it.

The best method to backup/restore your high scores is to use the Backup/Restore functions in the "High Score" tab.
For more details, see the "Communication with your pinball" section in the original post.

#1743 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have a Met and I spent hours modifying the call outs using PBB, now Stern releases a code update. Is there a way to transfer all my changes over to the new code?

You can adjust your macro by hand (modify the callouts ids) or you can use the "ShiftId" :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/34#post-2330619

1 week later
#1748 8 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Has anyone else noticed the High Scores section doesn't work on Metallica 1.64? i am running version 4.13 of pinball browser.

Do you mean this ?

1 week later
#1756 8 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Two things that I might be missing, but if I'm not, these might be neat features if possible. 1) Is there a way to keep the smartdmd configuration screen (where we adjust the palettes) open while we edit/colorize the images? 2) Is there a way to mark a start and end point and then apply a palette across all frames? (like a non-linear editor's in and out points)?

1- Image editor : Ctrl-Click a color in the palette.
2- Display tab : Ctrl-P will apply the palette from the preceding frame to the current frame (a serie of Ctrl-P and + will propagate the palette to several frames).

Most of the shortcuts like these ones are displayed in tooltips when you fly the mouse over buttons, combo boxes or other objects.

3 weeks later
#1759 8 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

any update on Spike support?

I'm still testing the new PB version.
It fully supports Spike and it's worth waiting for it

1 week later
#1767 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

ShiftId,1,0xA7C0,0xA7F
ShiftId,1,0x1C4B,0xC93

These 2 ones are out of range.
I did not check in the game but you probably meant :
ShiftId,1,0xA7C,0xA7F
ShiftId,1,0xC4B,0xC93

#1772 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

every one of them gives an error. separate or together
Seems simple enough , but doesnt work . must be something wrong i am doing.

The explanation is on your screenshot : you are using an old version of Pinball Browser (v4.36) and "ShiftId" has been introduced in version v4.38.
Just download the latest version and it will work fine

3 weeks later
#1776 8 years ago
Quoted from tytydell:

How do you edit wpc or white star system

You can't do it with Pinball Browser

#1777 8 years ago

Pinball Browser v5 is ready
It is now compatible with Spike.
See OP for download link and change log.

The previous version was mainly designed for Sam and I had to rewrite 80% of the code to ease the support of new firmware formats (Spike in this version). That's why it took so long.
Even if a lot of tests have been made on this version, there might be some bugs. Let me know if you find one and I'll fix it.

Thanks to pinsider TheKreator for his tests on Spike
and to pinsider Sirlonzelot for his tests on Sam !

Spike.pngSpike.png

#1801 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, you will need to completely re-write the ROM. Meaning, change the platform out for a P3 or other system.

or wait for Pinball Browser v6...

#1824 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I really wish there was some audio software that would let you type in a length of time and it have that length highlighted where you could slide it along a sound file to pick the best clip of that length that you want.....but I have never seen one

Pinball Browser allows you pick your prefered part of a sound file and will keep the selected length.
Try this :
- Select your sound in the list (ACDC168LE, script 0x173 in this example; its length is 17.8s)
- Import your new sound (in this example, its length is 1m12s); the sound editor will pop up.
- Select the start position by moving the "Position" cursor (#1 in the screenshot below)
- Click on "Set Start Position" (#2 in the screenshot)
- Click on "Play" to try this position : you can see that the length stays the same (17.8s)
- When you're happy with the position, click on "Import"

sound.pngsound.png

#1828 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I'm wondering if there's any way to fine-tune the placement of the pins

No, but it's a good idea. I'll see what can be done in a future version. What about a shift-click when moving the cursor ?

Quoted from stevevt:

Also, I believe that when you select the starting point, there's no way to play/preview the track from that point without losing your place. So it really becomes a multi-step and somewhat imprecise exercise.

This is correct; I'll improve this feature.

#1829 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nobody has managed to fully crack the Harris CVSD codec

I'm not very familiar with Williams hardware and I thought that the Harris chip was just a DAC (that uses a CVSD conversion), not a codec; am I wrong ?
I've been working for a while on the WPC-DCS codec (without success until now..).

Quoted from Crash:

Or to put it another way, do you think it would be possible to use PCM data in the ROMs?

It seems more complicated to me than implementing the codec in PB.

#1833 8 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

How do you change the messages to go with the new music files? Example, I'm trying to replace the War Machine song with Rock or Bust. I imported the Rock or Bust file and used it in place of the "War Machine studio version". I then tried to edit all related messages like war machine multiball and war machine high score to say Rock or Bust instead and couldn't figure out how to make these changes.

See here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/30#post-2061957

#1834 8 years ago

Thanks. I've already seen these ones, mainly because no other information is available !

The first link is not a specification; it only gives general information about DCS. I've used the informations about the frame length as a hint but I'm still missing important things.
The second link describes an emulator for the sound processor, which is impressive, but the DCS format is not reversed here.

#1854 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just got the new 5.0 up and running.
What happened to the "Keep CRC Consistent" checkbox?

This option is now always enabled so that there is no error when you upgrade your game. Too many users were confused with this error.
BTW, this is also how a stock firmware behaves.

Quoted from Arcade:

How does the browser save the files now? Does it keep all the high scores and settings or does it erase them?

Keeping the high scores by disabling the "Keep CRC consistent" was a side effect that was not working in all cases.
The prefered way is either to modify the high score default values (Highscore tab) or to use the communication patch to backup/restore them.

#1858 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Everyone I helped loved it so back to version 432 on that as well

The problem with this option is that once you saved a firmware without it, it was not possible to later enable it again. I had a lot of mails about it.

Quoted from Arcade:

Guess when it come to Spike games I will just have to roll with it.

Spike firmwares use something that is stronger than a CRC : the files are signed and it is not possible to upgrade a game when the signature is wrong. Thus, this option was no longer possible on Spike.

#1864 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Hey Oga, what does 'Undersampled:2X' mean?

It means that the sound track is recorded in a lower quality (2x less samples than normal)

Quoted from Mudflaps:

On BDK, that is next to every voice callout. When I attempt to sample the callout in pinball browser, it only plays ~2 seconds and then stops.

I can also see this. Let me check why but it will probably require a fix in a new version.

#1868 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Is it worth going back for now?

In fact, undersampled sounds have never worked correctly. In previous versions, the duration was also incorrect (twice the real one) and replacing undersampled sounds could not work without corrupting some part of the firmware (most likely another sound). I'm surprised this has never been seen before.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

When is the next anticipated release to fix the problem?

It should not be long; probably tomorrow.

#1870 8 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

In version 5 all the original sounds say "Undersampled:2x"

Only on games that don't have a lot of memory. It's not the case with the most recent games like MTL, ACDC, ...
In BDK, you have both normal and undersampled sounds.

Quoted from cleland:

I'm guessing this is because of the new Spike support and the samples are higher resolution?

No, the only new feature with Spike is that some sounds are stereo.

#1872 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

On BDK, that is next to every voice callout. When I attempt to sample the callout in pinball browser, it only plays ~2 seconds and then stops.

Please try v5.01

#1873 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

So if I have this straight, there is a bug in V5 that affects callouts from fully playing?

See here
Fixed in v5.01.

#1879 8 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If original format is 44100 is there a reason I shouldn't keep it this way?

No, you don't need to change the sampling rate. Pinball Browser will do any required conversion (8k, 12k, 24k) during the final stage.

#1882 8 years ago

Pinball Browser and SmartDmd FAQ
See here

What's new in v7.00/v7.50 ?
See here and here.

What's new in v6 ?
See here.

What is Pinball Browser ?
Pinball Browser is a software that helps customizing your game.
Depending on the game, you can display and modify images, videos, sounds, adjustments, high scores, ...

Where can I download Pinball Browser ?
The latest version is available

here

What's new in the latest version ?
Check the change log at the end of

this post

How do I install Pinball Browser ?
No setup is required. Just create a directory and unzip all the files in it.
To start the application, run Pinball-Browser.exe
If you get an error message like "To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4", download it

here

Can I install Pinball Browser on a Mac ?
Pinball Browser does not run natively on a Mac. Some users had it run on OS X with CrossOver :

See here

What are the differences between the free and the registered version ?
In the free version, the restrictions are :
- Images cannot be imported (but they can still be modified with the integrated editor).
- Videos (Spike) cannot be imported.
- Sounds that are longer than 10s cannot be imported.
- Sounds cannot be exported
- Macros cannot be played and patches cannot be loaded.

How do I register Pinball Browser and get a license ?
The registered version is reserved to users who support this project.
If you want to support this project, just click on the Donation button in Pinball Browser and follow the instructions.
In return, you'll be able to use all the features.
You'll also have free upgrades for one year.
Please note that the license is bound to one computer : if you change your computer, you'll need a new key.
The Pinball Browser license does not include the SmartDmd license.

Where can I get support on Pinball Browser ?
The Pinside forum and this Faq are the best place to look at. If you still can’t find an answer, just PM me.
Please don’t ask me to modify your firmware (like replacing a song or colorizing your firmware); I'm not good at this.
I can only answer on how to use Pinball Browser or fix a bug if you find one.

Is Pinball Browser localized ?
Pinball Browser can be used in English, French, German and Spanish.
Just select your language in the drop down list located in the left bottom corner of Pinball Browser.
The translations still need a lot of improvement. Any help on these versions is very welcome !
If you find anything that does not sound good, please contact me.

What's new in the latest version ?
All the modifications are listed in the Change Log at the end of

this post

How can I be notified that a new version is available ?
Unless you disable this feature, Pinball Browser will display a pop-up message when a new version is available.
Otherwise, check

in this post

Why does my anti-virus complains about Pinball-Browser ?
It is very unlikely but it sometimes happens.
To feel more confident, you can check Pinball-Browser.exe on

VirusTotal. It will perform a virus check with more than 60 anti-virus softwares.
Your anti-virus or firewall might also report that Pinball-Browser is trying to access the internet : Pinball-Browser does this to check whether a new version is available and to check for online bookmarks. You can disable this : uncheck the corresponding options in the « Config » tab.

Can I brick my game ?
In theory, yes, but I’ve never heard this happened to anyone.
As the boot loader is in prom (not in flash), it is very unlikely that you brick your game when you patch your firmware. However, I am not 100% sure. So don't blame me if this happens...

Why are you doing this ?
As a software and hardware developer, I’ve found a way to blend my profession and pinball hobby together through the creation of the "Pinball Browser" system. This is a great project and I still don’t see the limits of what can be done !

What is SmartDmd ?
SmartDmd is an interface that allows you to display your Dmd on a screen, colorize images, upscale your Dmd, broadcast its images over your network, ...
Pinball Browser is used to colorize images (on a frame by frame basis), receive and display broadcast images througth the network, post Facebook snapshots, configure the system, and more !
To select a palette for a specific DMD image, click on Edit and select the palette you want (you must first choose SmartDmd as DMD type on the "Display System" tab, and configure your palettes on the "SmartDmd" tab).
The "Remote SmartDmd" feature allows you to broadcast your DMD on your network and display it with Pinball-Browser (SmartDmd tab, Display). You can even publish a DMD on your Facebook wall.
More infos

here

Where can I download SmartDmd ?
See the « Installation » section in

this post

Which game is compatible with SmartDmd ?
Most of DE, Whitestar, Bally, Sam games.

How can I test SmartDmd ?
Without a license, SmartDmd will run for about 1 minute before displaying a « No License » message.
You can install SmartDmd and check that it works with your game during this period of time.

How can I get a license for SmartDmd ?
See

hereand send me a PM if you are interested.
The SmartDmd license does not include the Pinball Browser license.

What kind of Hardware do I need ?
- A Raspberry Pi v1.2 B+ (not v2 !) with a 4Gb or more SD card and a power supply.
- A

SmartDmd adaptor, a DMD Extender board or a custom cable.
- A HDMI screen
Optionaly :
- A side-channel cable
- A network cable
See

herefor more infos.

What are In-Frame or Side-Channel palettes ?
SmartDmd supports 2 different colorization modes :
- "In-Frame" mode : the color information is embedded into the frame. For some frames, this can lead to 8 missing pixels in the upper-left corner (but there are ways to minimize this)
- "Side-Channel" mode : the color information is transmitted from the pinball machine to SmartDmd in a separate cable.
There are 2 possibilities for this mode : a GPIO cable (15 palettes max) or a Serial cable (255 palettes max).

How do I configure Pinball Browser for side-channel palettes ?
- Load a stock firmware
- Select the way Pinball Browser will store the palette informations into the firmware : go to the "SmartDmd" tab and select the method you want in the "Store colors" drop-down list. Depending on the side-channel cable you want to use, you'll select either "GPIO" or "Serial".
- Load the communication patch ("Load Patch" in the "Sam" tab). It is needed so that the game can send the palette informations to SmartDmd. Enter the game serial number that you'll find on a tag located at the back of the upper cabinet.
- Your macros should look like (this example is for AC/DC with a serial side-channel cable) :

CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x168
PaletteMode,2
LoadHex,"C:\Soft\Home\Pinball-Browser5\Patches\monitor\comm119.hex"
PaletteComm,2

- Select the way SmartDmd will receive the palette informations : go to the "SmartDmd" tab, run the SmartDmd configurator and select the method you want in the "Color mode" drop-down list. Of course, you need to select the same method than above.

How do I build a custom cable ?
See the « Custom cable » section

here

How do I build a side-channel cable ?
See

here

My side-channel palettes don't work. How do I fix this ?
Add the following line in the smartdmd.txt file :

debug_palette=1
And remove all the borders you might have defined.
From now, each time a palette is selected, its number will be displayed in the upper left corner of the screen (not the DMD area).

Which firmware is supported ?
Pinball Browser currently supports the following firmwares :
- Stern/Sam firmwares : fully supported ;
- Stern/Spike firmwares : fully supported, except for the communication patch that is not available; At prensent time, videos cannot be imported in some games.
- Stern/Whitestar : Atmel and 6809 boards; Pinball Browser can only play and modify sounds;
- WPC games : Pinball Browser can only display DMD frames. No other features are supported. No modifications are possible.

How do I open a Spike firmware ?
There are 2 options :

1 - The prefered method : Open an image (.img) of the game SD card :
* For Pinball Browser v6 :
Just insert the game SD-card into your PC and use the "Read image from X:"; Pinball Browser will make an image of your SD card and save it on your hard disk.
Modify what you want in this image. Once it's done, the modified image must be written to a SD-card, not a thumbdrive.

Do not use the original SD-card (keep it as a backup); use a new SD-card;no need to format it.
Use the "Write to SD" function in the SmartDmd tab.
* For Pinball Browser v5 :
Use

Win32DiskImagerto make an image (.img) of your SD card
Open the .img file with Pinball Browser and modify what you want
Use Win32DiskImager again to transfer your modified image to the SD card (it is strongly advised to use a spare SD card and keep the original one unmodified)

2 - Open an .spk or .000 file (available on Stern's website) ;
This method is now deprecated since Pinball Browser v7.
The main drawback of using a .spk file (compared to a .img) is that you'll only see what's included in the upgrade package (for example, if some video files are not modified with the upgrade, you won't see them in Pinball Browser).
If you open a .000 firmware, Pinball Browser will convert it to a .spk file. This .spk file cannot be used to upgrade the game (because it's bigger than 4Gb and cannot be copied on a FAT formatted USB stick). You have to convert it back again to .000/.001 files before upgrading your game (click on the button next to the Open button and select 'Pack firmware for USB stick').

What is the communication patch ?
The communication patch is a software modification in the firmware that allows the game to communicate with an external device (PC, SmartDmd, PinballMikeD AC/DC band mod, Score mod, …)
Pinball Browser needs the communication patch to be installed on a Stern/Sam game to retrieve/modify the real time high scores or adjustments.

Do I need the communication patch ?
Only if you have a Stern/Sam game and you want to do one of these things :
- display/modify the real time high scores or adjustments
- use a mod that needs to communicate with your game
- use SmartDmd with side-channel palettes

Which game is compatible with the communication patch ?
Only recent Stern/Sam firmwares are supported. The best way to know is to open your stock firmware with Pinball Browser and try to load the communication patch. If you have any errors, it is possible that your game is not supported.

How do I install the communication patch ?
Pinball Browser can communicate with your pinball with a serial link (with this kind of cable : http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Modem-Serial-Adapter-ICUSB232FTN/dp/B008634VJY/ref=sr_1_9
)
This allow you to make real-time modifications :
- Modify adjustments (music volume, language, ...) : Edit an adjustment and click on "Get/Set" current value
- Read/Write/Backup/Restore your high scores : See the high scores tab
Each modification you make is immediately taken into account by your pin
To enable this feature, you first need to use the communication patch :
- Connect your pc to your pin with a RS232 cable
- Load a stock firmware in Pinball Browser
- Specify the serial communication port in Pinball-Browser (Advanced tab); there is a 'test' button. At this stage, it should report that the "communication patch" is NOT installed.
- Load the "commXXX.hex" patch that is included into the .zip you've downloaded (Advanced Tab / Load Patch button). If you have any error or warning during this, it probably means that the patch is not compatible with your pinball.
- Save your patched firmware and upgrade your pin with it
- Pinball Browser should now say that the communication is working when you redo the port test (in the Sam tab).
Untill now, this feature has only been tested on ACD165LE and STLE141 (If you try this feature on a different pinball, please post a message here so that I can update this information).
- More info

here

Can I modify the game rules with Pinball Browser ?
No, and I have no plan to do this.

Why do I get "Update Failed - Error code 8" ?
This error means that the file you are using has an incorrect checksum.
Fortunately, it does not prevent the game from working.
More info : Each firmware has a checksum (crc) that is used to verify that the file is not corrupted.
The first versions of Pinball Browser did not take care about this and, thus, the crc was incorrect.
The latest version of Pinball Browser always tries to keep the crc correct but this only works when the original crc is ok : if you modified a firmware with one of the first versions of Pinball Browser, it is not possible to fix it, and the crc will always stay incorrect.

Why should'nt I share binaries ?
Binaries contains copyrighted stuff like code, songs, artworks, …
That’s why you should never share them.
It is better to use Pinball Browser’s macros. Macros do not embed copyrighted material other than yours.
You can store your macros in the online repository that is provided by Pinball Browser.

Why are my modifications on a Spike firmware immediately written to the file ?
Spike firmware files can be huge (more than 4 Gb for Aerosmith !) and Pinball Browser cannot load them in memory. It has to directly work on the file.
Also, copying such files takes some time and Pinball Browser will not do it for you.

How can I find my game serial number ?
- You can find it on the label behind the backglass.
- If the label is missing, you can install the communication patch. When you press "Test" in Pinball Browser (Sam tab), the serial number will be displayed on your DMD.
- You can use the following easter egg on your game (for Sam and Spike) to display the serial number on the DMD :

Press L, Press R, then release both
Then press and release :
8*L
R
4*L
R
7*L
2*R

where R and L are the right and left flipper buttons

What are the macros in Pinball Browser ?
Each time you make a modification, it is recorded in the "Macros" tab.
Macro can be used to share your mods : anyone who runs your macro on a stock firmware will have your mods
Do not share songs or binary files if you don't own the copyrights ! instead, use macros.
Macros can also be used to optimize memory : For example, if you replace the same image several times, it will consume memory. To prevent this, clean up the macro list of all the tests you made (and you don't want to keep), and re-run it on a stock firmware : it will only use the minimum required memory.
More infos

here

Why would I need the macros ?
- Your macros can be shared so that others can apply the same modifications. This way, you don't have to share files on which you don't have copyrights.
- Macros can be used to optimize the memory
- Macros can also help when a new firmware version is release.

What is "Memory Optimization" ?
Most of the time, when you modify an image, some additional memory is consumed (memory is consumed when you save your changes in the image editor or when you import an image – not each time you

modify a pixel in the editor).
The amount of free memory is displayed in the info panel.
With time, and if you modify the same image more than once, memory is wasted.
To recover this wasted memory, you can « optimize » your macros : Pinball Browser arrange your macros so that all the modifications of the same image are gathered into one single editor session.
If you play these optimized macros on a stock firmware, some wasted memory can be recovered.

How can I share my macros
Your can store your macros in the online repository.
Everyone can read it. Only the owner of a macro can modify it;

How can I modify the DMD images ?
You can either use the embedded editor or import images.
For « Raster » images, the new image is stored at the same place; so, there is no limitation in the number of images you can replace; for the other types (« Compressed », « Motion », …), you can also replace them, but you are limited by the free available memory in the firmware.
The image size and type is displayed just below the scrollbar.

What kind of image can I import ?
Regarding the imported image format, there is no requirement : it will be resized to the correct size and converted to gray scale. You can also use other formats that JPEG (bmp, png, ...). Best result when you use BMP or PNG with the same size than the orginal image.

What are the different types of images ?
« Raster », « Compressed » and « Motion » are the most used.
« Raster » is a raw bitmap; « Compressed » is a raw bitmap that is compressed to save memory space and « Motion » only records the differences from the previous frame.

Can I define bookmarks on images ?
Yes, and it can help to directly jump to a specific image.
Just enter a name in the bookmark field and click on « Set Name ».
To jump to a specific frame, you can :
- Select the name in the drop down list
- or enter its id in the bookmark field and hit Return. For example, enter 0x123 into images combo box to jump to image 0x123

How can I colorize the DMD frames ?
You can use SmartDmd to display colorized DMD frames on a LCD screen.
On Sam/Stern games, you can colorize each frame : use the embedded editor to assign a palette to a frame and use the graphic tools to modify the frames. You can define your palette in the SmartDmd configurator and/or you can Control-click a color in the editor to modify the current palette.
On other games, you can only use a single game-wide palette.

How can I change the sounds on my pin ?
It’s very easy, select the sound you want to replace in the list and click on « Import ».
Select your sound file you want to use and the sound editor will open. Most of the time, you don’t need to adjust anything here ; just click on Import and that’s it : your new sound has been imported into your firmware.

What kind of sound file can I import ?
Pinball Browser can import many file formats (wav, mp3, ... and even video sound tracks). The embedded small editor will allow you to crop the sound and adjust the volume. It will also convert the file to the adequate format. No need to use an external software (like Audacity) anymore in most cases.

How can I modify the sound level for a song ?
You can adjust the sound level when you import a sound.
You can also adjust the sound level afterward : select your sound script, click on the dropdown menu right to the Play button and select "Adjust volume"

Why can't I change the duration of a sound ?
The sound track duration cannot be changed. If your file is too long, it will be cut; if it is too short, there will be no sound for the remaining time. Internal structures are too complex to allow this kind of modification (a sound-request is generally made of several sound-scripts; each sound-script can be split into several sound-fragments...); Use the embedded sound editor (or Audacity) to adjust your sounds.
More info

here

Can I import stereo sounds ?
Only if the original sound is already in stereo. This is indicated in the sound list.
If you import a stereo sound on a mono sound-script, only the first channel will be used.
If you import a mono sound on a stereo sound-script, the single channel will be used twice.
In brief, you don’t have to bother about mono/stereo. Always import the best possible sound track and Pinball Browser will deal with this.

Can I define bookmarks on sounds ?
Yes, and it can help to directly jump to a specific sound-request or sound-script.
Just enter a name in the bookmark field and click on « Set Name ».
To jump to a specific sound, you can :
- Select the name in the drop down list
- or Enter 0x123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound script 0x123
- or Enter 123 into sounds combo box to jump to sound request 123

What are sound-requests, sound-scripts and sound-fragments ?
First of all, there are 'Sound Requests'. A sound request is related to an action (Drain for example).
Each sound request has 1 or more "Sound script".
Each sound script is a list of actions; The most interesting action is "play sound fragment"...
To make things a little more complicated, the script functions are not the same in all firmwares
The app will show you how many sound requests, scripts and fragments there are (and also the script version).
For example, when you drain, the sound request "Drain" is executed :
It has several associated sound scripts : "Draino", "byebye", "looooser", "ahaha"...
In this example, each sound script only has 1 fragment, but it is not always the case : some songs have more than 100 fragments...
The same sound fragment can be used in several sound script. This is meant to save space in the game memory.

When I replace a sound-script, another one is impacted. Why ?
The same sound fragment can be used in several sound scripts. Thus, when you modify a sound script, all the other ones that contain the same fragments are also impacted.
Pinball Browser v6 can display the sound fragments for each sound script allowing you to check which sound will be impacted.

What are the different sound engines ?
Pinball Browser can use different software sound librairies.
Most of the time, you can let Pinball Browser choose which sound engine to use.
However, in some case, it is not possible and you have to manually select it (int the « Config » tab).
The default sound engine is « Media Foundation » which is the most powerfull. If you use Windows XP, you’ll probably have to select Legacy but you’ll loose some features (like the ability to import MP3).

How can I modify the videos on my game ?
On some Spike games (WWE LE for example), you can replace the videos that are played on the playfield lcd screen.
Just go to the video tab ; select the video you want to replace and click on « Import » ; select your video file and that’s it !
Pinball Browser need « ffmpeg » to convert the video files. If it’s missing, Pinball Browser will ask you to download it and place the program « ffmpeg.exe » and « ffprobe.exe » in his directory.

What kind of video format is supported ?
All the video formats that are supported by « ffmpeg » can be used in Pinball Browser.
In practice, you’ll be able to import any format.
Please note that, on some games, it is not yet possible to import videos.