1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 112.
#1001 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Thanks. Do you know the version of your Sam prom ?

It's version 3.1

#1002 10 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

It's version 3.1

Ok, that's normal : this version is game independant but does not check the crc
My AC/DC has a v1.0 prom that seems more recent (but game specific, I assume) : it checks the crc

#1003 10 years ago

Okay, thanks. Doesn't really bother me. Have to redo a few settings, and my "brilliant" highscores are gone, but it's just fantastic being able to mod the machine. And I'm probably done for the moment, changed every piece of music on my Tron, so I'm happy now.

#1004 10 years ago
Quoted from goalzzz:

Have to redo a few settings, and my "brilliant" highscores are gone

There might be some good news about this in the next coming days...

Quoted from goalzzz:

changed every piece of music on my Tron, so I'm happy now.

Don't forget to use macros to record all your changes

#1005 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Can anyone confirm that, on the following games, there is no "Update failed - Error code 8" at the end of the firmware update (with a patched firmware of course) ?
- FG
- POTC
- WOF
- SHREK
- CSI
- 24H
- SPIDER-MAN
For all other games, the update process should end with this error.
Thanks in advance.

I can confirm there was no error on POTC. I had updated it with an 3.1 version EPROM recently, so that's what version of the EPROM I have.

#1006 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

There might be some good news about this in the next coming days...

That would be a killer feature! Could be used even for 'no mod' code upgrades...

1) Backup on stick
2) Export settings and scores macro
3) apply macro to new code
4) update version

Mhh..... This implies that these settings get saved in the backup, which I did not know about. If so, what has Stern waited for all this long to provide a similar tool. Does nobody care about keeping scores?

#1007 10 years ago
Quoted from astaroth:

That would be a killer feature! Could be used even for 'no mod' code upgrades...
1) Backup on stick
2) Export settings and scores macro
3) apply macro to new code
4) update version
Mhh..... This implies that these settings get saved in the backup, which I did not know about. If so, what has Stern waited for all this long to provide a similar tool. Does nobody care about keeping scores?

What I'm currently testing is a version of Pinball Browser that is connected to the pinball : you just have to modify an adjustment in Pinball Browser and that's it, it's immediately into the pin No stick, reset or upgrade needed...
It should also work for high scores but I'm still working on it.

As an example, I'm using this macro to reconfigure all my adjustments (language, volumes, free play, radio mode, ...) in a single operation :

-- Pinball-Browser Macro for AC/DC v1.65
CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x165
Adjustment,0x3C,CurrentValue,1,,
Adjustment,0x22,CurrentValue,1,,
Adjustment,0x7,CurrentValue,0,,
Adjustment,0x3,CurrentValue,1,,
Adjustment,0xAC,CurrentValue,2,,
Adjustment,0xBA,CurrentValue,1,,
Adjustment,0xBB,CurrentValue,0,,
Adjustment,0xBC,CurrentValue,-5,,

If anyone is interested in testing this new feature, please PM me. You just need a cable like this one http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Modem-Serial-Adapter-ICUSB232FTN/dp/B008634VJY/ref=sr_1_9
and a Pinball-Browser-compatible pin (that is not AC/DC because it's already being tested on this one).

#1008 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball-fan2002:

Hi there,
I tried the tool (by the way - it's awesome) with the Pirates of the Caribbean potc0600as.bin and did found the sound samples and game musics from the game.
But there is no voice. Where are the voices, like the pirates you have to fight or the girl which says that you are
the worst pirate I have ever seen and so on?
Thanks for helping.

+1, What is the answer to this? I was fussing with the music and have been updating it, but I didn't find voice clips either.

#1009 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

If anyone is interested in testing this new feature, please PM me. You just need a cable like this one amazon.com link »
and a Pinball-Browser-compatible pin (that is not AC/DC because it's already being tested on this one).

I have this or other brand serial-usb cable. Just hope it's null modem. Why has has the usb type be only crosswired and not interchangable, i don't know. Anyway... When i finally get my STLE delivered I will test it. Male port on SAM?

#1010 10 years ago
Quoted from astaroth:

Male port on SAM?

Yes, male

#1011 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Can anyone confirm that, on the following games, there is no "Update failed - Error code 8" at the end of the firmware update (with a patched firmware of course) ?
- FG
- POTC
- WOF
- SHREK
- CSI
- 24H
- SPIDER-MAN
Thanks in advance.

So when I attempted to patch my Met pro tonight with modified version 1.22, the code 8 error is normal and was supposed to happen and the game would have been playable?

#1012 10 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

So when I attempted to patch my Met pro tonight with modified version 1.22, the code 8 error is normal and was supposed to happen and the game would have been playable?

Yes, it's explained in the OP :

When you flash the patched firmware, do not verify the image; The upgrade process will end with a message saying that there was a problem ("Update Failed - Error code 8"). This is normal and it works.

#1013 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

- FG
- POTC
- WOF
- SHREK
- CSI
- 24H
- SPIDER-MAN
Thanks in advance.

Spider-Man has no "update failed - error code 8" although i have not tried your latest Pinball Browser Versions.

Ed Z

#1014 10 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Spider-Man has no "update failed - error code 8" although i have not tried your latest Pinball Browser Versions.
Ed Z

It does not depend on Pinball Browser; it's only because of the prom version.

#1015 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

What I'm currently testing is a version of Pinball Browser that is connected to the pinball : you just have to modify an adjustment in Pinball Browser and that's it, it's immediately into the pin
No stick, reset or upgrade needed...

It works with adjustments :
adj1.pngadj1.png
And also for high scores :
hs1.pnghs1.png

#1016 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, it's explained in the OP :

Yep, did it again this morning and it worked like a charm including custom songs/images. I liked it even retained the current high scores. Awesome stuff, thanks!

#1017 10 years ago

I don't want to break any rules here... But is there a place that macros are being shared? I'm looking to test out Ac/DC, Tron LE, and metallica LE.
Thanks
Bsl

#1018 10 years ago

I started a separate thread regarding my work on POTC music, but it's not getting much activity, so I'll just link it here and then post any other info in this thread since it is the biggest thread on the topic.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-browser-for-stern-sam-games-what-have-you-done-with-it

Short video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/M9z055KrzBw?autoplay=1&rel=0

#1019 10 years ago

"AC/DC, Avatar, Tron... : Play and modify dot matrix images or sounds"

The name of this thread was set at the very beginning of Pinball Browser.
It is no longer specific to AC/DC, Avatar and Tron, and I think that this subject is too restrictive.
Any idea for a better name ?

#1020 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The name of this thread was set at the very beginning of Pinball Browser.
It is no longer specific to AC/DC, Avatar and Tron, and I think that this subject is too restrictive.

Pinball Browser for Stern S.A.M system games: Browse & modify DMD images & sounds

#1021 10 years ago

v3.10 can be downloaded (see OP for download link and change log)

IMO, it's a major improvement : Pinball-Browser can now be connected to your pinball with a RS232 cable.
It opens a new field of possibilities...
This version allows you to modify your adjustments and your high scores in a jiffy : just click on 'set', and that's it, your modifications are immediately stored into your pinball

I have also modified many explanations in the OP.

Let me know what you think of this version !

#1022 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

v3.10 can be downloaded (see OP for download link and change log)
IMO, it's a major improvement : Pinball-Browser can now be connected to your pinball with a RS232 cable.
This version allows you to modify your adjustments and your high scores in a jiffy : just click on 'set', and that's it, your modifications are immediately stored into your pinball
I have also modified many explanations in the OP.

First, quick question before even trying the new version. What is the comm103.hex file and where does it need to be? It seems that more and more files are being added to the zip and I never know if they need to stay in a folder with the exe or if they are just support files for a specific purpose of pinball browser?

I was also wondering if hooking pinball browser directly to a game is required to use the new "High Score" tab? Can high scores be modified in the ROM before flashing to a game via USB?

#1023 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

First, quick question before even trying the new version. What is the comm103.hex file and where does it need to be? It seems that more and more files are being added to the zip and I never know if they need to stay in a folder with the exe or if they are just support files for a specific purpose of pinball browser?

I have added a description of each file in the OP, just after the download link
Comm103.hex is a patch for the pinball, to enable communication with Pinball Browser.
If you don't plan to use this feature (adjustments and high scores real time modifications), you can delete it.

#1024 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

BEST Stern mod evvvvaaaaaa

#1025 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

BEST Stern mod evvvvaaaa

#1026 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball-Browser can now be connected to your pinball with a RS232 cable.

Simply amazing!!!
Why didn't Stern provide this? It's so much easier to do all these setting from my PC, especially since all settings are erased when upgrading the SW. Not to mention the High Scores...

#1027 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball-Browser can now be connected to your pinball with a RS232 cable.

This sounds really cool! would it be possible to use some sort of wireless connection, so you wouldn't have to remove the BG to connect? It would be really cool to be able to use your laptop or tablet to connect to any game and modify it's settings on the fly. Dreaming, I know.

Either way, simply awesome job oga83!

#1028 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

This sounds really cool! would it be possible to use some sort of wireless connection, so you wouldn't have to remove the BG to connect? It would be really cool to be able to use your laptop or tablet to connect to any game and modify it's settings on the fly. Dreaming, I know.

My serial cable is passing through one of the existing holes at the rear of the pinball : I can connect my laptop without removing the BG. But I agree, having a wireless connection would be better.

#1029 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

would it be possible to use some sort of wireless connection, so you wouldn't have to remove the BG to connect? It would be really cool to be able to use your laptop or tablet to connect to any game and modify it's settings on the fly. Dreaming, I know.

This looks like a nice solution:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/MODULE-CONVERTISSEUR-RS232-VERS-WIFI-SERIAL-TO-WIFI-ETHERNET-HLK-RM04-/321270436344?pt=FR_YO_MaisonJardin_Bricolage_ElectroniqueComposants&hash=item4acd35d1f8&_uhb=1
Haven't tried it myself, but it should work...

#1031 10 years ago

well you need to hack the game code to add drivers for usb WIFI and hope that the system has the cpu power / ram to run it.

#1032 10 years ago

I would get lost reding this thread but I would sure pay to have some stuff added to a few of my games...

IM really needs "Shoot to Thrill" in it somewhere. Maybe after the match sequence.

#1033 10 years ago

Lantronix makes some good serial/ethernet adapters. Maybe could make something like that work.

#1034 10 years ago

v3.11 is a small fix for high scores (only needed if you use a serial cable connected to your pin)
See OP for download link.

#1035 10 years ago

If anyone wants to try some alternative songs on their Tron machines, let me know and I'll PM you a download link. You won't here me say they're better than the original ones, but if you'd like to experiment a bit...

All songs are exactly the same length as the originals, most are snippets taken from the Reconfigured album. I only left the Gem and SoS songs in there, because I like those.

#1036 10 years ago

Many thanks to Tatanka1961 who did a lot of tests on intermediate versions of Pinball Browser .
The "Adjustment and Highscore real-time modification feature" is now confirmed to work fine on STLE141 with Pinball Browser v3.12.

#1037 10 years ago

Very late to the party but Just started to monkey around with my Tron. It always irritated me that the Splash screen of "Tron Legacy" had the city garbage under and in the word legacy. After a few hours of getting rid of the extra pixels from each frame I now have a good looking splash screen graphic. Thank you to the creator of this amazing program.

Image-5BA.pngImage-5BA.png

#1038 10 years ago

Just tried the program on my Tron, worked like a charm! Changed some pics/settings/tunes...so cool

#1039 10 years ago

Anyone that has played wih MET code in PBbrowser, please see my question here about trying to find where he Sparky Multiball music is populated:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-browser-metallica-code

#1040 10 years ago

Thanx for this awsome tool.
What I really would like to see is a possibility to edit the switch matrix.
This would be amazing. Maybe in one of the upcoming versions ?

#1041 10 years ago

I know there's always talk about the newer games working (USB supported games)....without scrolling through 21 pages, can anyone tell me if older Stern games work (specifically RCT)? I have been successful in changing my Ironman and working on Tron and Avatar, but was wondering about the older RCT? Can the new image be burned on a chip and swapped out?

#1042 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I know there's always talk about the newer games working (USB supported games)....without scrolling through 21 pages, can anyone tell me if older Stern games work (specifically RCT)? I have been successful in changing my Ironman and working on Tron and Avatar, but was wondering about the older RCT? Can the new image be burned on a chip and swapped out?

No, it won't work with RCT :
Pinball-Browser only works with S.A.M. system games

#1043 10 years ago
Quoted from Dipsy:

Thanx for this awsome tool.
What I really would like to see is a possibility to edit the switch matrix.
This would be amazing. Maybe in one of the upcoming versions ?

For what purpose ?
Anyone else is interested ?

#1044 10 years ago

This tool was awesome was able to get it working on STLE code 1.41 and change up the sounds... Keep up the great work!!!!

#1045 10 years ago

Has anybody tested the new "live modification" feature ?

#1046 10 years ago

Personally, I'm a bit afraid of live modification. I like the comfort of making edits on my computer with the knowledge that I can flush my changes at any time with no impact to the pinball machine. I think this capability is looking for a "killer" reason.

#1047 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

For what purpose ?

They are probably wanting to modify the switch matrix to be able to install the LE software on a Pro machine. I still don't think it will work.

#1048 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

For what purpose ?

Currently I run the Avengers firmware on my Spiderman
I can fight Thor, Hawkeye, and Captain America. Ironman, Hulk
and Black Widdow are missing because there are a lot of switches
at the Spiderman playfied that are not used at Avengers and vice versa.

If I would be able to reorganize the switch matrix, this would be much more
fun

#1049 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Has anybody tested the new "live modification" feature ?

Got my STLE at latst. As soon as I can figure out where my cable is I will text it out.

#1050 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Personally, I'm a bit afraid of live modification. I like the comfort of making edits on my computer with the knowledge that I can flush my changes at any time with no impact to the pinball machine. I think this capability is looking for a "killer" reason.

Firmware modifications and live modifications are 2 different feature of Pinball-Browser :
1- Firmware modifications : you can modify a firmware on your PC to change static settings only (songs, images, default adjustments, ...)
2- Live modifications : you can read/write your current adjustments and high scores. In particular, you can backup your current configuration and restore it later. For example, when you upgrade to a newer version, all your high scores are lost; with this feature, you can set them back

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.