• 3,118 posts
  • 504 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by pekilica
  • Topic is favorited by 640 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 258 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy.gif
bandicam 2019-04-02 20-56-52-368 (resized).jpg
bandicam 2019-03-11 23-08-58-222 (resized).jpg
0x91D (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
0x91Da (resized).PNG
MET sparky splash logo (LED) (resized).jpg
ac-dc 0x6A7.jpg
Pinball Browser Not Showing BIN Files (resized).JPG
show hidden files (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
low pass (resized).jpg
original puppy (resized).png
GOT (resized).png
PBv660 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 63.
#51 5 years ago

Now the real interesting part would be if it would extract images to a workable format for modification. Pull out a range of frames and do some modification, reinsert.

#52 5 years ago

I hope Stern don't put a stop to this. Shoot to Thrill as attract music alone would be awesome.

This would also be handy for security. A custom image at startup to identify the machine as yours if it was ever stolen (out on site perhaps?).

So many possibilities.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I have modified my AC/DC browser.
It can now browse all the images that can be displayed on the dot matrix.
[EDIT]It should work with all Stern SAM firmwares (I tried AC/DC Avatar, Avengers, Tron, Iron Man, XMen, Transformers, Tron and Rolling Stones)
Select your firmware and click on "Firmware analysis".
And the best is that you can also modify these images ([EDIT]as long as there is free space) :
Just choose the pinball image you want to modify, choose a jpeg, and patch your firmware
[EDIT]
You can modify all "Raster-12" images (the type is displayed above the scrollbar).
For other types, you are limited by the free available space in the firmware.
As I only have an AC/DC pinball, I didn't test the patch for real on other pinballs.
Let me know how it works on your pinball !
It can be downloaded at : http://www.sendspace.com/file/pjm773
To begin, I suggest you modify the Stern logo that scrolls when the pinball is idle (just after the high scores).
When you flash the patched firmware, it will end with a message saying that there was a problem (because of a bad file crc). Anyway, it works.
Here is an example with one of my photos :

[EDIT] Screen shots of the app :

Happy mod !
Post edited by oga83 : New version for all SAM firmwares

Cool work.

...but crashes on Spider-Man 2.6 rom. "Unknown Firmware!"

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Cool work.
...but crashes on Spider-Man 2.6 rom. "Unknown Firmware!"

Fixed. Link for new version updated in first post.

There was 2 additionnal compression types in Spider-man...
This also add several new images in AVGLE

There are still missing pixels in some compressed images; I'll try to fix it later. [EDIT]Fixed in v1.4

#55 5 years ago

New version 1.4 / Change log at the end of first post

#56 5 years ago

Good Stuff. Now we don't have to "hurry up and wait" on stern to find out what is and what isn't on the code.

#57 5 years ago

Metallica Pro 1.05 works
1.06 does not.

Great work, this program is amazing.

#58 5 years ago

Metallica 1.06 works fine, I just loaded it. What doesn't work for you the audio or the DMD display images? Yes, a very cool tool for sure.

Metallica Pro 1.05 works 1.06 does not.
Great work, this program is amazing.

sam_tool.jpg

#59 5 years ago

Can someone please email me the program if it's small enough? I can't access it at work, blocked site :/ Need something to do.

tblack at finning dot ca

Thanks!!

#60 5 years ago

Been playing around with this and trying to replace the Stern logo with a jpeg. No matter how small the image is (I went down to a 40x40 icon, just to test) and it says there is no free space with every image I try.

Any suggestions?

#61 5 years ago

My new favorite.
Steve Richie yells, "Fire at will....and I'm not Will."

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Can someone please email me the program if it's small enough? I can't access it at work, blocked site :/ Need something to do.
tblack at finning dot ca
Thanks!!

got it from a local friend...thx anyhow

#63 5 years ago

Who will be the first to re-theme a Stern using this?

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Been playing around with this and trying to replace the Stern logo with a jpeg. No matter how small the image is (I went down to a 40x40 icon, just to test) and it says there is no free space with every image I try.
Any suggestions?

On which pinball ?
There might be no room at all on the one you are trying, or the app doesn't know where to place it.
Anyway, it should work on any Raster-12 image.

#65 5 years ago

So the Stern Logo is compressed-7, you can't put in your own logo then right? It must be Raster-12 type? There are probably only 10 frames in the whole rom that are Raster-12

Quoted from oga83:

On which pinball ?There might be no room at all on the one you are trying, or the app doesn't know where to place it.Anyway, it should work on any Raster-12 image.

#66 5 years ago

Very cool!

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

On which pinball ?
There might be no room at all on the one you are trying, or the app doesn't know where to place it.
Anyway, it should work on any Raster-12 image.

Same firmware version you are using in your OP that you replaced with the girls face . Does the JPEG have to be using a certain type of compression/size? Does the image have to be converted before hand?

The lowest size JPEG I used was a very small 40x40 icon. The highest was around 400x400.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Same firmware version you are using in your OP that you replaced with the girls face . Does the JPEG have to be using a certain type of compression/size? Does the image have to be converted before hand?
The lowest size JPEG I used was a very small 40x40 icon. The highest was around 400x400.

Fixed in 1.41; Trying to make the app pinball-independant had this side effect

Regarding the image format, there is no requirement : it will be resized to the correct size and converted to gray scale.
You can also use other formats that JPEG (bmp, png, ...).

For raster-12 (mostly used for video), the new image is stored at the same place; so, there is no limitation in the number of images you can replace; for other types, the new image is stored in a free space (on AC/DC, you can replace around 5 images).

#69 5 years ago

Been exploring the TRON .bin. It seems like it is not getting a lot of the video clips in the game. The interesting thing is that it does show some unused video (Sam walking through the arcade and Sam getting blasted into the computer). I am not seeing any of the in-game video clips. Is it possible that this needs to be tweaked to see all of the missing TRON video?

#70 5 years ago

Was thinking maybe it's not detecting all the Tron video because most of it is not full screen and is instead only the right two thirds of the screen? Can you tweak it to detect that kind of video also?

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Was thinking maybe it's not detecting all the Tron video because most of it is not full screen and is instead only the right two thirds of the screen? Can you tweak it to detect that kind of video also?

Could you please take a photo of your DMD displaying an image you cannot find in the app ?
It would be even better if this image is part of an animation.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Did you have a better result with version 1.41 ?

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Could you please take a photo of your DMD displaying an image you cannot find in the app ?
It would be even better if this image is part of an animation.

Its not one photo, its like 75 percent of the video is missing in when you load tron. There are only the arcade, flynn sequences and the scoring,startup. Load the rom and see what you get. Perhaps tron has another compression section that is getting bypassed so you cant see the screens? Maybe all of the split screen stern games have this too. Like ij4 and wheel of fortune....

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its not one photo, its like 75 percent of the video is missing in when you load tron. There are only the arcade, flynn sequences and the scoring,startup. Load the rom and see what you get. Perhaps tron has another compression section that is getting bypassed so you cant see the screens? Maybe all of the split screen stern games have this too. Like ij4 and Wheel of Fortune....

Fixed in 1.42 - You now have 8182 images

#75 5 years ago

Confirmed. Excellent work! With the latest rom, check out segment beginning at 16EA showing where QUORRA lost her arm, that wasn't used in the game. Interesting ...

#76 5 years ago

So the Stern Logo is compressed-7, you can't put in your own logo then right? It must be Raster-12 type? There are probably only 10 frames in the whole rom that are Raster-12

The format of your logo does not matter : it will be automatically converted (format, size, resolution and colors).
You can replace any image you want : if the original image is raster-12, it will be modified 'in place', otherwise (raster-0, compressed-x) it will be moved to free memory (if available).

#77 5 years ago

Metallica 1.06 works fine, I just loaded it. What doesn't work for you the audio or the DMD display images? Yes, a very cool tool for sure.

On the screen shot, 4427 images are found.
Please try v1.42 to see if this number increases.

#78 5 years ago

Would it be possible that this could support earlier SAM games? For example I was unable to get 24 or CSI loading up. Just curious, this is very cool.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Did you have a better result with version 1.41 ?

Yes, I could modify the images. Works great! Thank You!

#80 5 years ago

Doesn't work on a Mac?

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Doesn't work on a Mac?

It does not. You should be able to run it on virtual windows on a mac though

#82 5 years ago

If there is no free memory available, how do we patch with a new image? Can we not delete the image that was there previously?

EDIT: How do we find exactly how much free memory is available? I got my images down to a mere 5kb and the 1.74 tron .bin just wouldnt accept even one of them....(error: free memory has already been used)

Quoted from oga83:

For raster-12 (mostly used for video), the new image is stored at the same place; so, there is no limitation in the number of images you can replace; for other types, the new image is stored in a free space (on AC/DC, you can replace around 5 images).

Ok, i now realise that you cant add extra compressed-7 images into Tron 1.74.bin. I will try on the video section shortly.

#83 5 years ago

Has anybody else had their anti-virus software remove this app? My Symantec is identifying it at as a trojan virus SONAR.Heuristic.

It quarantines then removes the file.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Has anybody else had their anti-virus software remove this app? My Symantec is identifying it at as a trojan virus SONAR.Heuristic.

Yes, but thats just a certain attribute your AV is flagging because its an unknown .exe. Its fine to use dont worry.

#85 5 years ago

Great Tool..

cow.jpg

#86 5 years ago

oga83, any thoughts on export functions?

So instead of having to do a "Print Screen" capture you could just pick a frame and copy or export it? Another nice and similar feature would be if you could select X frame through x frame to export as a .gif file or some other type of animation.

Just something to think about. I'm really enjoying the program. I did play around with some patching (with mixed results) some images looked skewed when I reopened a patched ROM, but I haven't tried flashing any of them on my game yet.

Thanks for the innovative work you have done so far.

UPDATE: I was also just thinking if you could export the screen you are looking to replace, you would have a better idea of the size and ratio of the picture you should be choosing to patch in there. You wouldn't have to worry about the program "injecting" it and changing the aspect ratio or stretching it out. You would know what would work best in that location and get your picture ready before the program had to reshape / stretch / re-size it.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So instead of having to do a "Print Screen" capture

That would be a nice feature. I'd like to take some of the animations that are currently active and replace them with some hidden animations instead.

Has anyone tried some custom work on Tron or TF yet?

#88 5 years ago

Confirmed. Excellent work! With the latest rom, check out segment beginning at 16EA showing where QUORRA lost her arm, that wasn't used in the game. Interesting ...

Yep. Have you listened to all the unused voice calls in Tron? There are so many unused ones... it's almost like the majority of the ones on there are unused.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I did play around with some patching (with mixed results) some images looked skewed when I reopened a patched ROM, but I haven't tried flashing any of them on my game yet.

All images i try are like this on the patched ROM when i view them back in the browser. Perhaps because the browser will only let you upload .jpegs? When i try to upload any other format, it doesnt let me do so.

#90 5 years ago

Can we remove and add sound clips or music yet? This would be the better than LEDs

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Can we remove and add sound clips or music yet? This would be the better than LEDs

Yeah, that's the prospect I'm most excited about....

Regardless, this is a very cool program. Fantastic work...

Pete

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep. Have you listened to all the unused voice calls in Tron? There are so many unused ones... it's almost like the majority of the ones on there are unused.

All I get is static garbage on the pc at work when trying to listen to audio. maybe because it is using onboard audio. I can try at home later.

#93 5 years ago

oga83, any chance of getting the audio clips to play back at the correct speed? On Tron, some play really fast, some play just right, some play slow. I'm guessing it's different sample rates and the program needs to account for that.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

oga83, any chance of getting the audio clips to play back at the correct speed? On Tron, some play really fast, some play just right, some play slow. I'm guessing it's different sample rates and the program needs to account for that.

Ya seems like the music or sound effects play correctly, but voice clips sounds like alvin and the chipmunks.

It its like watching Tron all over again if you just hold down the right arrow.

#95 5 years ago

ohhh.... now this is cool, i'd love to hear all of these sounds/clips that are hidden in the tron makine. how do we hear these sounds (im not the most savy computer guy )

Quoted from ChadH:

Wow... TRON has a whole bunch of voice calls not used in the game. Many unused of the custom female game grid announcer. Many, many movie quotes not heard in the game. It's almost like there is EVERY single line spoken in the movie by Flynn, Sam, Castor/Zuse, CLU, and Quorra in here.

#96 5 years ago

Here is the description of the issue I have. Keep in mind that in all examples I have used the same picture (a 100 x 100 pixel 96 dpi 24 bit .jpeg).

test 1 is of the pic just as I loaded it in the ROM and patched it.
test 2 is what the pic looks like when I reload that patched ROM with the browser.
test 3 is the same pic loaded to a different location on the ROM but when I just loaded it.
test 4 is that same pic after I reloaded that patched ROM.

I have a few questions. since the first smaller picture is skewed after being patched in on the browser...will it also be skewed (and looks as it does in the browser) if flashed to the game?

What is making the small pic replacement skewed and the bigger one is fine? Is it the size? Is it because the small original pic was "Raster-0" and the bigger one was "Compressed-7"?

test_1.jpg test_2.jpg test_3.jpg test_4.jpg

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The question is if the data is in the ROM along with the media.. so it just needs to be interpreted correctly.. or if that info is stored in with the game code.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

No trojan in it. To feel more comfortable, you can block it with your firewall (the app doesn't use network at all).

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Great idea ! I'll do it soon

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Not yet, but I'm working hard on it. Sounds are far more complicated than images, and it will take more time than I first expected.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
PCB Emporium
Wanted
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 150.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Worth, TX
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 9.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 63.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside