5 (resized).png
4 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 112.
#851 10 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

I did my tron but all the songs I replaced are now very low volume. how can I make them louder? I did the +3 on the gain when I replaced the songs.

I agree 100% with Underspin. Compression is king as far as volume levels on the pin.
All of the files I do are compressed and very few have the gain raised any. It will usually start clipping on the highs when you mess with the gain.

#852 10 years ago

I assume by compression you mean dynamic compression:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
not bitstream compression as in mp3/ogg/acc.

I think CDMaster32's Vlevel capability would help with some of that if I could get the answer I was looking for.

#853 10 years ago

you lost me. My original files are Mp3 and ripped at around 210-220 kbps. should I re-rip them into a higher kbps? If so what is recommended and what file type? mp3. wav?

#854 10 years ago

Re compression, I think what you are looking for is in Audacity. Got to 'effect' and then in that drop down menu there is 'compressor'

Here are some options for song choices that I have come up with.....

Rock N Roll Train 4:18 request No. 195 replace with High Voltage 4:20 off the album TNT
Rock N Roll Train 4:18 request No. 195 replace with Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution 4:15 album Back In Black
Hells Bells 5:13 request No. 191 replace with Shoot To Thrill 5:18 off the album Back In Black
Back In Black 4:09 request No. 179 replace with Jailbreak 4:07 off the album Rough & Tough
Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be 4:12 request No. 187 replace with Shake A Leg 4:05 off the album Back In Black

#855 10 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Re compression, I think what you are looking for is in Audacity. Got to 'effect' and then in that drop down menu there is 'compressor'

Yes. That is correct.
In Audacity, step 1 is to open your music file then from the "Tracks" drop down menu, choose "Stereo track to mono".
Step 2 is to choose "Compressor" from the "Effects" drop down menu and click on "OK".
Step 3 is to type in "24000" in the "Project Rate" box in the lower left corner.
Now is when you would edit your file for length.
Step 4 will be to choose "Export" from the File menu drop down box and Clear the "Meta Data" and Save.
Your file will now be ready for import into your Bin file.

Step 2 is show below just after making the track a mono track.
Just click the file and it will not be so blurry.

Compressor.jpgCompressor.jpg

#856 10 years ago

It would be great if one of the Tron owners makes a video showing us neophytes how to replace a song...............

#857 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

It would be great if one of the Tron owners makes a video showing us neophytes how to replace a song...............

Mate if I can do it anyone can. Print out the instructions on the first or second page and read through it a few times. It honestly isn't that hard and it doesn't take very long either. I changed four songs on my ACDC today and lovin' it.

#858 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

kvan99 you asked and you shall receive

**note** It's currently being edited in YouTube for stabilization. If it shows up upside down, refresh the page:

#859 10 years ago

Nice tutorial - thanks!

#860 10 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

kvan99 you asked and you shall receive

If you don't mind my asking, what's the name of the track that you pulled material from to replace Gem?

#861 10 years ago
Quoted from ckochan:

If you don't mind my asking, what's the name of the track that you pulled material from to replace Gem?

That was the Gin Jimmy remix of End of Line. The sample I took was around the :32 second mark

#862 10 years ago

Tim you're a good egg...many thanks. That was a cool and useful tutorial.

#863 10 years ago

Just gave it a crack and all was good. I got the error message and didn't lose any settings, scores and the like.
I only replaced one song to see how it all went. The only problem was the song I added was not as seamless as the song I replaced. If I don't launch the ball within a few seconds, the music starts over but there is a small gap between the sound so it isn't quite right which is my doing.
Can anyone suggest some good song replacements that have worked well for them please? I don't need the songs or anything like that, just what song is a good match for a song already in the jukebox.

haha Blair, was just going to ask the same question. I finally got around to tinkering with Pinball Browser and replaced One with Harvester of Sorrow and Fade to Black with Wherever I May Roam on my Metallica Pro. Everything worked great, but I noticed that the song loops at song select were a bit funny. It's not a drama though. Glad it wasn't just me.

1) I didn't choose "compressor" when converting my songs in Audacity. What am I missing out on by not choosing that?
2) I ticked the second option to allow full song names in the memory. I have noticed that people are leaving the two boxes unticked in some replies. What are the negatives of ticking the second box if anything?

Thank you Oga83 for this amazing application!!! Ever since I bought my AC/DC Pro, I've wanted to be able to tinker with the code and change songs. Tested the water with Metallica tonight with great results.

Cheers!
Adam.

#864 10 years ago

1) The compressor evens out the highs and lows in the volume so what you are missing out on is a more consistent volume level throughout the song.

2) Somewhere in this thread it talks about clearing all of the song info and that the songs may not work with all the info left attached to them.

From what I can gather, if the small break in the song when it is on a loop e.g. waiting to launch a ball bothers you, you would have to edit the song itself in audacity so that it matched up exactly with what that particular request length was. it would be good to be able to change the length of the request but I am not sure if this is possible. I think it is just better to live with it and be thankful for Oga83's program and the opportunity to even be able to change songs.

#865 10 years ago

it would be good to be able to change the length of the request but I am not sure if this is possible

Unfortunately, it is too hard : songs are made of multiple "fragments". To add or remove song "fragments", it would be necessary to insert/delete "actions" in the corresponding "sound script". Inserting "actions" would require moving a lot of data in the firmware (including related pointers) which is quite impossible without the source.

If you are interested in details, see here : http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/4#post-901765

#866 10 years ago

oga83....I have another question related to what is being discussed. I know if you change the location that has the entire song in it.....it also changes all of the smaller song fragment locations automatically. I guess these smaller sound clips are grabbed from the longer clip automatically.

Say you have done that (replaced the long, entire song clip)...could you then go back and find which fragment is the looped "shooter groove" location and replace it separately? Basically making is so that one fragment that the game is using while the ball is in the shooter lane to loop more smoothly? So it wouldn't be changing the length of the fragment that loops, but you would be overriding it to play a different section of the song instead of what it grabs from the complete song by default.

#867 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Unfortunately, it is too hard : songs are made of multiple "fragments". To add or remove song "fragments", it would be necessary to insert/delete "actions" in the corresponding "sound script". Inserting "actions" would require moving a lot of data in the firmware (including related pointers) which is quite impossible without the source.
If you are interested in details, see here : http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/4#post-901765

I'll take your word for it, I honestly have no idea when it comes to code and the like. What you have already done is awesome.

#868 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

oga83....I have another question related to what is being discussed. I know if you change the location that has the entire song in it.....it also changes all of the smaller song fragment locations automatically. I guess these smaller sound clips are grabbed from the longer clip automatically.
Say you have done that (replaced the long, entire song clip)...could you then go back and find which fragment is the looped "shooter groove" location and replace it separately? Basically making is so that one fragment that the game is using while the ball is in the shooter lane to loop more smoothly? So it wouldn't be changing the length of the fragment that loops, but you would be overriding it to play a different section of the song instead of what it grabs from the complete song by default.

I believe you would have to change the pointers that point to the song, not the song fragment itself. This, like he said, is not possible at this time.

#869 10 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Has anyone found the replay digital knocker sound? Surely we can make a better sounding fake knocker.

Agreed... the digital knocker sound about splits my eardrums in 2 every time I hear it. It's so harsh that my 8 year-old daughter has to cover her ears at the end of each game in anticipation of it... she cringes.

#870 10 years ago

If anyone has used Pinball Browser with POTC, please PM me if you have the macro or anything else you'd be willing to share that would be helpful. Thanks!

Troy

1 week later
#871 10 years ago

Has anyone used this on POTC? I have done many changes to ACDC, MET, Xmen, Avengers and even some on POTC - however using version 2.18 I cant find any of the sound bytes for Capt. Jacks call outs or the main music.

Anyone else have this issue?

#872 10 years ago

Perhaps I missed it, but did anyone post a master list that shows the the length of the all the songs that come on the games? This would make it easier for people to find suitable replacements.

#873 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Perhaps I missed it, but did anyone post a master list that shows the the length of the all the songs that come on the games? This would make it easier for people to find suitable replacements.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/10

Its on this page. Just scroll down a bit, about halfway down, Arcade made the post.

#874 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/10
Its on this page. Just scroll down a bit, about halfway down, Arcade made the post.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

#875 10 years ago

I wanted to save everyone as much time as possible.
Glad you could put it to good use.

#877 10 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Has anyone used this on POTC? I have done many changes to ACDC, MET, Xmen, Avengers and even some on POTC - however using version 2.18 I cant find any of the sound bytes for Capt. Jacks call outs or the main music.
Anyone else have this issue?

I know there was an issue with the early version of Pinball Browser where the program wasn't showing all of the animations or sounds for a few early games. I believe POTC and FG were a couple of the ones with this issue. It seemed like the program wasn't spanning the entire ROM or something. oga83 fixed it before...maybe that issue has crept back in with all of the different releases and changes.

1 week later
#878 10 years ago

I had several PM regarding an issue with POTC and FG...
but I am currently working on a new Pinball-Browser related feature that takes a lot of time
It should be released soon.
I'll try to fix this issue when I'm done with it.

#879 10 years ago

Is it normal to get a error when you load the BIN file to the machine? Mine got all the way to the end of the upload, gave me an error message, but when I played the game my song swap was in there. Swapped Unforgiven for Sanitarium.

#880 10 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Is it normal to get a error when you load the BIN file to the machine? Mine got all the way to the end of the upload, gave me an error message, but when I played the game my song swap was in there. Swapped Unforgiven for Sanitarium.

Yes, that's normal. Your scores should stay intact with the error.

#881 10 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Yes, that's normal. Your scores should stay intact with the error.

OK, thanks for confirming. Great program!

#882 10 years ago

Good news : I found the POTC and FG issue
It also affects WOF and WPT.

The sounds are truncated because the "sound script commands" are a little different for these games (and mis-interpreted by Pinball Browser).

The sound script version was already analysed (and displayed right next to the sound scripts number in the right panel). Until now, I had only found 2 different versions... it seems I missed one and that there's a 3rd one !

Before I publish a new version, I need to figure out how to detect this new version (I don't want game-dependent hard coded things).

#883 10 years ago

Pinball Browser v3 is almost online

Check out its new feature : SmartDmd
and tell me what you think about it !

I also confirm that the issue with POTC, FG, WOF and WPT is fixed

#884 10 years ago

Awesome! This is really getting some advanced capabilities. Wow!

#885 10 years ago

Man if there was a pinsider of the year award....I'd nominate you.

#886 10 years ago

v3.00 is online
Link and change log are in the OP.

Some of you complained about the download site I was using... So, I switched to Google Drive.

Starting with this version, the download link points to a .zip file.
Just unzip everything in the same directory (of your choice) and run Pinball-Browser.exe.

#887 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I haven't played around with this program but anyone that has changed the songs on ACDC how did you work around the riffs that play when you make a certain shot? Example: Thunderstruck is the song you choose and when you hit the the flashing arrow shots one of thunderstrucks riffs will sound (I'm not sure if this is in multiball only or not) so if I changed this song to dirty deeds would the riff from thunderstruck still sound? I hope this makes sense.
Not that I would change that particular song its just an example. Anyway I really wanna change a couple of songs but I'm a bit intimidated by the program and am afraid its gonna get rid of some of the cool riff sound effects that go off.

Not only this above, but when you change a song won't it throw off what you see on the DMD? What I mean for example, is if you replace Rosie with Dirty Deeds and you play the song during the game, your going to see the Rosie animations. Same with Rock n Roll Train and perhaps the whistle. Let's say you swap with Who Made Who, then I'll see train animations and train whistles every time I hit the left ramp while Who Made Who is playing. I want to change 4 songs, but for these reasons it's kinda making me hesitant. Thoughts?

#888 10 years ago

+1 knocker

I dampen the physical knocker on all my machines and would like to do the same with a Stern.

#889 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

+1 knocker
I dampen the physical knocker on all my machines and would like to do the same with a Stern.

For which game ?
Isn't it sound request #25 on most of them (AC/DC, Star Trek, Metallica, XMen, Tron, ...) ?

#890 10 years ago

The only problem with the knocker is that the audio sample is ~300 ms long, so replacing it with another audio sample is kinda touch unless you have one that is around the same length.

Is there a way to insert an audio sample that is longer than the original sample length without it truncating the new file?

Thanks,
--Scott

#891 10 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

The only problem with the knocker is that the audio sample is ~300 ms long, so replacing it with another audio sample is kinda touch unless you have one that is around the same length.

I agree; it's even worse than that : the knocker sound is only 108ms

Is there a way to insert an audio sample that is longer than the original sample length without it truncating the new file?

Not yet...

#892 10 years ago

About the knocker, pinsider 'audihere' asked me if it was possible to trigger a specific coil when the knocker sounds (in order to remove the sound and replace it with a real physical knocker).
Is anybody else interested ?

#893 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

About the knocker, pinsider 'audihere' asked me if it was possible to trigger a specific coil when the knocker sounds (in order to remove the sound and replace it with a real physical knocker).

Isn't there already a physical knocker kit for Sterns? How is that kit triggering the coil?

#894 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Isn't there already a physical knocker kit for Sterns? How is that kit triggering the coil?

The Stern games are made with a harness on the left side of the cabinet that can send a knocker signal. There is a setting in the regular game settings to pulse the coil that is connected to that harness (if a kit is added). It always struck me as strange that the official software supports a physical knocker in the settings...yet there is no official knocker kits sold for the games.

#895 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

That might be interesting...I'm not sure what coil you would select or how universal the coil labeling is from game to game. I would think the auto shooter would be a good one to use, but I'm guessing it would still come off more as a game malfunction than a knocker hit.

#896 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It seems that the kit is triggered by Q24 (ticket dispenser) only when there is a new credit, not for an extra ball.

#897 10 years ago

This DIY knocker kit

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

hooks into Q24 which is a ticket dispenser.

The note at the bottom says "The knocker will only knock when a credit is awarded. If the machine is set up to award an extra ball instead of a replay and/or special, there will be no knock."

I like to set my games up at home for Extra Ball.

What I want to do is replace the knocker sound using Pinball Browser with a completely blank sound. Then have Oliver create an option to fire Q24 whenever the knocker sound is played. I think this will make the DIY Stern knocker kit act like a WMS/Bally knocker and knock when extra balls are awarded along with matches etc.

Chris

#898 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm not sure what coil you would select or how universal the coil labeling is from game to game.

I would make it user selectable

#899 10 years ago

So when can the pinball-browser give us access to the code?

#900 10 years ago

So when can the pinball-browser give us access to the code?

Have a look at this :
- Breakout Game
- Program modification

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,576 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/18?hl=woody6092 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.