1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 112.
#501 10 years ago

If after I updated with a custom firmware I switch back to the stock 1.65 ROM, will I lose my settings going back to that one? I thought the settings loss didn't occur because of the error that's displayed after you flash with a custom one, and obviously the stock one wouldn't cause an error.

#502 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

If after I updated with a custom firmware I switch back to the stock 1.65 ROM, will I lose my settings going back to that one?

Yes.

#503 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I thought about that, as I do have a couple of friends with nice home studios, but if I get that deep into it I will probably go ahead and re-record a lot of different callouts to toy around with replacing.

What format would the files have to be to do this?

#504 10 years ago
Quoted from Tilter:

What format would the files have to be to do this?

mono .wav 24000 bit rate

#505 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

I had to google it, and I'm not quite sure how this guy could sound surprisingly good...

Musical preference aside, I meant the quality of wave file was surprisingly good.

#506 10 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

Musical preference aside, I meant the quality of wave file was surprisingly good.

Agreed. The tracks I imported sound as good or better quality wise compared to the originals.

#507 10 years ago

Okay, thanks. I'll just make a small text change to easily switch between the two without losing the settings.

#508 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

mono .wav 24000 bit rate

24KHz to be exact.

#509 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It's not possible to change the pointers.
However, there are some hints to optimize memory :
- Raster-1 and raster-12 images will not consume memory when you replace them.
- If you replace the same image several times, it will consume memory for each try. To prevent this, use macros... After you last try, clean the macro of all the tests you made (and you don't want to keep), and re-run it on the original firmware; it will only use the minimum required memory.
For example, the macro :
Image,0x5A5,"DSC08042.JPG"
Image,0x5A5,"DSC08043.JPG"
Image,0x5A5,"DSC08044.JPG"
should simplified to keep only the last change for image 0x5a5 :
Image,0x5A5,"DSC08044.JPG"

Thanks Oga83,
I'll check it out, but I don't understand the macro tool just yet. I wanted to replace the Rosie images with this animation (which is in the ROM), which is different versions of an audience image to create some motion I think. Do I need to use a macro? If you could explain this to me, I would appreciate it. I apologize, but I'm not fully understanding the example.

Thanks.

Image-1AAB.pngImage-1AAB.png

#510 10 years ago

So not to sound stupid, but if I replace, say, "War Machine" with "Shoot To Thrill", AND replace "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be" with "Dirty Deeds"...

1) What happens if the new sound file is LONGER in duration than the original?

2) If SHORTER in duration?

3) Does this only affect the attract-radio and game jukebox mode/song select? Or are there specific short song clip excerpts that arise during the game that pull from the whole-song file? In other words, in the above example, would the game pull a small section "thinking" it was sampling a specific part of the War Machine file, but instead "accidentally" sample a random section from Shoot To Thrill, creating a nonsensical sound effect?

4) Can one change radio mode of a song without affecting the music in the game? (At least besides by replacing any of the live tracks until live mode is programmed by Stern)

5) Can one change the text announcing the game modes to the changed songs?

6) So I would have to convert my mp3s into mono 24kHz bitrate wav files for this to work? (Using Audacity?)

7) Can I change the free game hiccup sound?

#511 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

So not to sound stupid, but if I replace, say, "War Machine" with "Shoot To Thrill", AND replace "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be" with "Dirty Deeds"...1) What happens if the new sound file is LONGER in duration than the original?2) If SHORTER in duration?3) Does this only affect the attract-radio and game jukebox mode/song select? Or are there specific short song clip excerpts that arise during the game that pull from the whole-song file? In other words, in the above example, would the game pull a small section "thinking" it was sampling a specific part of the War Machine file, but instead "accidentally" sample a random section from Shoot To Thrill, creating a nonsensical sound effect?4) Can one change radio mode of a song without affecting the music in the game? (At least besides by replacing any of the live tracks until live mode is programmed by Stern)5) Can one change the text announcing the game modes to the changed songs?6) So I would have to convert my mp3s into mono 24kHz bitrate wav files for this to work? (Using Audacity?)7) Can I change the free game hiccup sound?

Hey Rick this was exactly what I was wanting to know but you said it better. Also we're thinking the same thing about changes, those were my exact songs I was gonna change but I don't think I have the knowledge to do it. I wish people could post their custom roms but I understand why its not a good idea. I own all of acdc's music so I'm not worried about the rights to the songs because I own them. Oh well maybe ill figure it out.

#512 10 years ago

I am more than happy to share my Bin file in a drop box if someone is interested just to hear what can be done.
I have changed the following songs. But have not yet learned how to change the graphic on the DMD. I am going to work on that next. Here are the three songs I changed and what I changed them to.
War Machine is now Girls Got Rhythm.
Let there be Rock is now Shoot to Thrill.
Hell ain't a Bad Place to be is now Dirty Deeds.

I also need to find a way to start with slightly louder original sound files. These are close to the same volume but could stand to be just bit louder. Overall I am quite happy with my new song choices. The cool thing about changing Let there be Rock is that now when a game is over the machine plays Shoot to thrill.

#513 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

1) What happens if the new sound file is LONGER in duration than the original? It will get chopped off.

2) If SHORTER in duration? You will have silence for a bit.

3) Does this only affect the attract-radio and game jukebox mode/song select? Or are there specific short song clip excerpts that arise during the game that pull from the whole-song file? In other words, in the above example, would the game pull a small section "thinking" it was sampling a specific part of the War Machine file, but instead "accidentally" sample a random section from Shoot To Thrill, creating a nonsensical sound effect? Not sure yet, but it seems to pull from the new song.

4) Can one change radio mode of a song without affecting the music in the game? (At least besides by replacing any of the live tracks until live mode is programmed by Stern) Yes. This should be possible as the Live tracks have their own locations.

5) Can one change the text announcing the game modes to the changed songs?Yes.

6) So I would have to convert my mp3s into mono 24kHz bitrate wav files for this to work? (Using Audacity?) Yes.

7) Can I change the free game hiccup sound? Yes

#514 10 years ago

Ok so to change the songs you need songs that are close to the same length and need to be in wav format at 24000 bit rate. Does anyone have good volume setting with audacity when you convert a song from mp3 to wav?

It would be cool if there was a "dummies" version for peeps like me lol.

#515 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I am more than happy to share my Bin file in a drop box if someone is interested just to hear what can be done.
I have changed the following songs. But have not yet learned how to change the graphic on the DMD. I am going to work on that next. Here are the three songs I changed and what I changed them to.
War Machine is now Girls Got Rhythm.
Let there be Rock is now Shoot to Thrill.
Hell ain't a Bad Place to be is now Dirty Deeds.
I also need to find a way to start with slightly louder original sound files. These are close to the same volume but could stand to be just bit louder. Overall I am quite happy with my new song choices. The cool thing about changing Let there be Rock is that now when a game is over the machine plays Shoot to thrill.

Hadn't thought about the game over theme... That is cool, but I just associate LetThereBeRock too much with ACDC (and it reminds me of Spinal Tap's "Rock and Roll Creation.")

...hmmmm SPINAL TAP....

... Definitely have to think about this.

"Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight."
"Stonehenge."
"Big Bottoms."
"Sex Farm."
"Gimme Some Money."
"Heavy Duty."
And, of course, "Hell Hole."

I don't know the album, "Break Like The Wind," but there HAS to be some good cuts there.

And I would think some clever use of sound clips ("Hello, Cleveland!"; "Lick My Love Pump"; "These Go To Eleven"; "You Can't Dust For Vomit"; "It's Such A Fine Line Between Stupid And Clever"; "I used to say Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll. As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.") would work here.

I HAVE to figure this out....

Oh, how does one change text?

#516 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Ok so to change the songs you need songs that are close to the same length and need to be in wav format at 24000 bit rate. Does anyone have good volume setting with audacity when you convert a song from mp3 to wav?
It would be cool if there was a "dummies" version for peeps like me lol.

Here is a post below by "Pinballlooking"
that gives a tutorial on how to use Audacity with this program.
It is very informative and I am reposting it in case some of you missed it.

"I created a short How-To do the dirty deeds song replacement.
This should get you started. I am not an expert on this so any questions just post and hopefully someone will know the answer.
(To progress through the demo just use the green arrow at the bottom right. This uses Flash)
http://www.usbjig.com/AC_DC.htm
Using this method the song sounded good."

#517 10 years ago

Just wanted to say this is awesome... not sure how I missed this thread. I always wanted the Batman machine, but I just did not enjoy the soundtrack in that game... Stern Batman with a Hans Zimmer soundtrack would be fantastic.

Anyhow, great work!

#518 10 years ago

Pinball-Browser can also be used to modify the program...
I have added a Tennis game to my AC/DC :
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-program-modification-proof-of-concept-1

#519 10 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball-Browser can also be used to modify the program...
I have added a Tennis game to my AC/DC :
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-program-modification-proof-of-concept-1

This is very exciting. Great work!

#520 10 years ago

oga83 Thanks for your hard work on this program!!

I had a couple people ask me where I changed the text “WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE” to DIRTY DEEDS.
I just changed it just at 0x5B3 it changed it everywhere else for me.
The only place it stills says WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE is the champion scores. I don’t know where that is stored. I would love to change that one also.

I am glad some people are using this.
I created a short How-To do the dirty deeds song replacement.
This should get you started. I am not an expert on this so any questions just post and hopefully someone will know the answer.
(To progress through the demo just use the green arrow at the bottom right. This uses Flash)
http://www.usbjig.com/AC_DC.htm
Using this method the song sounded good.

#521 10 years ago

In case anybody wants to replace the knocker sound:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...15/knocker.wav

#522 10 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

In case anybody wants to replace the knocker sound:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...15/knocker.wav

Broken link.

#524 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

I had a couple people ask me where I changed the text “WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE” to DIRTY DEEDS.
I just changed it just at 0x5B3 it changed it everywhere else for me.

This is what I need to do next, change the song titles.
I now have my song volume perfect thanks to the compression tutorial in another thread.
The three songs I added sound just like they came from the factory. I love it!!!!
How do I go about changing the text at 0x5B3 ?
I am not very familiar with the graphics side of this program.
The Audio was super easy to achieve.

#525 10 years ago

How do I save the sound in this link.
All it lets me do is listen. If I right click it, the file just wants me to upgrade to quicktime pro.

#526 10 years ago

Right Click on the link I posted and use the option "Save Link As". I use Firefox so that's what the option is called, might be called something else in another browser.

#527 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

How do I go about changing the text at 0x5B3 ?

Just open your rom select messages go to 0x5B3 double click the message you want to change.
Type in the new message save it is that simple. No messing with graphics to change the song titles.

#528 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

How do I save the sound in this link.

In IE right click on it and select save as target.

#529 10 years ago

Just open your rom select messages go to 0x5B3 double click the message you want to change.
Type in the new message save it is that simple. No messing with graphics to change the song titles.

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

#530 10 years ago

In IE right click on it and select save as target.

Not an option for me. my right click defaults to quicktime which will not let me save the file unless I purchase the pro version. Crazy.
I will have to figure out how to get around quicktime being my default.

#531 10 years ago

Well when I get time to play around with this I'm gonna try and change You shook me all night long to Big Balls, Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be to Dirty Deeds and Either Back in Black or For Those About To Rock To Shoot To Thrill. Maybe ill change back in black to its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. Try and get all the text changed and see if I can locate the text for the song high scores

#532 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Not an option for me. my right click defaults to quicktime which will not let me save the file unless I purchase the pro version. Crazy.

Right click on the link that is when you get the menu to save as target.
Don’t select it to play it first. If you can’t get it. PM me your email address I will send it to you.

#533 10 years ago

Right click on the link that is when you get the menu to save as target.
Don’t select it to play it first. If you can’t get it. PM me your email address I will send it to you.

Doh!
I feel so stupid.
I was not right clicking the link.
Thanks.

#534 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Try and get all the text changed and see if I can locate the text for the song high scores

If anyone can find this I sure want to know where it is. This is the only thing my Dirty Deeds is missing to have a factory look.

#535 10 years ago

I was able to change out "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" with "Dirty Deeds" and changed the text too. I had the same problem that the text changed everywhere except the "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" Song Champion text didn't change.

I also added two Steve Ritchie sound bites that I found but had not heard before. One I set up after a successful cannon shot ("Fuck Yeah!) and one after a missed cannon shot ("Uh oh, fuck up".) They both successfully worked randomly during play.

The only problem that I encountered is that all my scores were lost, AND the Encore Jackpot display shows "Encore Jackpot: 0". I'm not sure if it was caused by how I installed the bin upgrade.

I didn't change the name of the original bin file. I did NOT verify, and after the final stage of the install, I got an error as expected. I then switched off dipswitch 8, and shut off the game. I powered it back on, and that's when I noticed all high scores were reset, and the odd Encore Jackpot value.

Apart from that, the song plays fine and the text shows up too. Anyone have an idea why my scores were not saved? Could not changing the original bin file name have caused the lost data?

#536 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I didn't change the name of the original bin file. I did NOT verify, and after the final stage of the install, I got an error as expected. I then switched off dipswitch 8, and shut off the game. I powered it back on

This is exactly what I did and none of my high scores were reset.
Strange that yours did.

#537 10 years ago

If anyone can find this I sure want to know where it is. This is the only thing my Dirty Deeds is missing to have a factory look.

I noticed 0x5A9 and 0x5AA could be the culprit for the "Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be Song Champion" not changing to "Dirty Deeds."

These lines did not change to "Dirty Deeds" when the global change was made successfully for all other instances. I manually edited these lines, but have not yet had a chance to save the new firmware to test it out.

#538 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

This is exactly what I did and none of my high scores were reset.
Strange that yours did.

I have a theory as to why my scores were not saved.

I was still running the previous version of the software before 1.65. I was actually doing a real version update (along with the new modifications). That may have been the difference.

#539 10 years ago

WTB - ACDCLETE. TE is tennis edition of course. ;/

#540 10 years ago

This is awesome stuff. I'm not tired of the music currently in the game, but I have some songs I'd like to add in eventually (whiskey on the rocks comes to mind). The only problem I see is that the song isn't going to jive with the album. So, it could be a little confusing when going through album or tour multiball. A relatively small thing, obviously.

I appreciate all the hard work people have put into this. I look forward to trying this when I get some more time on my hands!

#541 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I was still running the previous version of the software before 1.65. I was actually doing a real version update (along with the new modifications). That may have been the difference.

That has got to be it.

#542 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I did the same thing with the same results as you.

#543 10 years ago

If I owned a Metallica LE, the first thing I would do is make every song come from MOP. Make theme 100%.

#544 10 years ago

Just made my machine even better.
I have the sound levels perfect now for all songs, the text is changed for all songs, and I have now even changed out the Encore song for It's A Long Way to the Top.
Finally have the AC/DC I always wanted when it was announced.
If anyone wants to try out my Bin file just let me know and I will put it in a Drop Box for you.

Songs changed are:
War Machine = Girls Got Rhythm
Let there be Rock = Shoot to Thrill
Hell aint a Bad Place = Dirty Deeds
Encore song = It's a Long way to the top.

If anyone else wants to change their Encore song the location is 340.
It is 17:46 long and changed all the shorter calls automatically. Sounds fantastic.
Since It's a Long way to the Top Studio version is 5 min. long I just had it start over 4 times and fade out at the end. Works great.

#545 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just made my machine even better.
I have the sound levels perfect now for all songs, the text is changed for all songs, and I have now even changed out the Encore song for It's A Long Way to the Top.
Finally have the AC/DC I always wanted when it was announced.
If anyone wants to try out my Bin file just let me know and I will put it in a Drop Box for you.
Songs changed are:
War Machine = Girls Got Rhythm
Let there be Rock = Shoot to Thrill
Hell aint a Bad Place = Dirty Deeds
Encore song = It's a Long way to the top.
If anyone else wants to change their Encore song the location is 340.
It is 17:46 long and changed all the shorter calls automatically. Sounds fantastic.
Since It's a Long way to the Top Studio version is 5 min. long I just had it start over 4 times and fade out at the end. Works great.

Very cool. Any luck finding “Song Champion” text?

#546 10 years ago

Someone needs to make a layered Photoshop file for the jukebox card. I have changed songs, titles, albums etc and it bugs me like crazy that the jukebox doesn't match.

#547 10 years ago

Very cool. Any luck finding “Song Champion” text?

We have searched everywhere to find the Song Champion text but no luck. I can't imagine where they hid it.

Thanks to everyone who asked for a share. I think I got the invites for Dropbox correct.
I have always had people share Boxes with me, and this was my first attempt at sending invites.
Hope they went through ok.

#548 10 years ago

Someone needs to make a layered Photoshop file for the jukebox card. I have changed songs, titles, albums etc and it bugs me like crazy that the jukebox doesn't match.

I plan on doing a new jukebox card at some point.
But if someone beats me to it, that would be awesome.

Here is a fun screenshot that shows when you change the song title text, it changes it everywhere for you.

IMG_1577.JPGIMG_1577.JPG

#549 10 years ago

Now with being able to go through and change adjustments is there a way we can restore our high scores and audits?

I can see in the adjustments how I can adjust the "factory" high scores, but I can't find the initials. I assumed they were in the messages section(Did find lots of refernces to Chuck E Cheese. Don't think metallica is ending up there) but I can't see them.

Also under messages I see Total Plays and then the next line is %d. Is there a way to edit that and put our old play count it and have a nice running tally again?

Chaning out the tilt sounds in metallica. For some reason no call outs for it. Put some clips in of lars yelling at you

#550 10 years ago

How do you like this edit to the tilt sound clips?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.