1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 112.
#5301 1 year ago

After getting some help with older versions, it looks like the color bug came up in v8.0. 7.81 colors ok and I had a license with my old pc for that one but upgraded since then, so can't register that way and it looks like v8 license I have now only with with v8. Any way to help out here oga83? I wouldn't care about having to use an older version of the software...

#5302 1 year ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

After getting some help with older versions, it looks like the color bug came up in v8.0. 7.81 colors ok and I had a license with my old pc for that one but upgraded since then, so can't register that way and it looks like v8 license I have now only with with v8. Any way to help out here oga83? I wouldn't care about having to use an older version of the software...

Thanks for the info
A v8 license does not disable a previous v7 one
If your v7 license is not working any longer, PM me your token id and I'll check it for you

#5303 1 year ago

Any idea why CrowdStrike falcon would flag Pinball Browser? Happening immediately on extracting the archive-hadn't even run it yet.

#5304 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Any idea why CrowdStrike falcon would flag Pinball Browser?

Read the FAQ. You’ll find it in a key post linked at the top of every page.

The short answer is CSF is throwing a ‘false’ positive.

#5305 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Read the FAQ. You’ll find it in a key post linked at the top of every page.

The short answer is CSF is throwing a ‘false’ positive.

Yeah, I saw that. Just curious whether anyone has figured out exactly what it was doing that would trigger that (or if it was just the problem of "uncommon, unsigned application). Only thing I've seen trigger that aggressively since we've been on CS.

1 week later
#5306 1 year ago

Hello

I have a Problem in regard of the Makro functionality of PB.
I try to generate a Color File for my Star Trek Pro (Stern).
If I load the .bin I can load the needed Makros within PB.
Unfortunately If I run the Makro, it fails after a while with an Memory Error.

I have heard, with the Version 5.97 it runs without any Error.
How I can get these old Version to be able to generate the needed files?
Or what do I wrong with the current Version?
I am using sidechannel (serial) and have also tried to optimize the makros and the RAM as well.

Many thanks for your assistance

Memory Error (resized).pngMemory Error (resized).png
#5307 1 year ago
Quoted from its-me:

Hello
I have a Problem in regard of the Makro functionality of PB.
I try to generate a Color File for my Star Trek Pro (Stern).
If I load the .bin I can load the needed Makros within PB.
Unfortunately If I run the Makro, it fails after a while with an Memory Error.
I have heard, with the Version 5.97 it runs without any Error.
How I can get these old Version to be able to generate the needed files?
Or what do I wrong with the current Version?
I am using sidechannel (serial) and have also tried to optimize the makros and the RAM as well.
Many thanks for your assistance[quoted image]

If this is for a real pinball, it won't work. Star Trek physical ROM is too small. The macros you have were designed around the Virtual pinball version, for which there is obviously no limitation. I know, I spent countless hours to try to make it work (I have a Star Trek Premium), I could not get these macros to complete without numerous "out of memory" error.

#5308 12 months ago

If you are working with Iron Maiden gamecode in PB, I would love to connect with you. I'm having trouble reading the SD card image of gamecode v1.13.
Olivier's list of compatible gamecode lists IMDN v1.12, not v1.13. Does that explain my trouble?
I PM'd Olivier to ask but he's in bed in France at this hour.
Thanks.

**Update**
I was able to get a copy of v1.12 from someone in the IMDN Owners thread and it works fine with PB. I did hear from Olivier and he pointed out that usually gamecode versions released *after* an update of his software will not be compatible with PB. So, it's v1.12 until there's another PB update.

#5309 12 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

If this is for a real pinball, it won't work. Star Trek physical ROM is too small. The macros you have were designed around the Virtual pinball version, for which there is obviously no limitation. I know, I spent countless hours to try to make it work (I have a Star Trek Premium), I could not get these macros to complete without numerous "out of memory" error.

This could not be the true, because I have it running on my Real Star Trek now!
It was possible by using the mentioned Version 5.97, so there must be an issue within the current Version of PB.

#5310 12 months ago
Quoted from its-me:

This could not be the true, because I have it running on my Real Star Trek now!
It was possible by using the mentioned Version 5.97, so there must be an issue within the current Version of PB.

When I tried to make it work, I did complete the macro run, but you get many out of memory error, so the colorization is incomplete. Hence why I gave up.

Maybe 5.97 does not have the issue, but if i recall (that was many months ago), I did try with it and could not make it work either. But best to ask Oga in that case.

#5311 12 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

If you are working with Iron Maiden gamecode in PB, I would love to connect with you. I'm having trouble reading the SD card image of gamecode v1.13.
Olivier's list of compatible gamecode lists IMDN v1.12, not v1.13. Does that explain my trouble?
I PM'd Olivier to ask but he's in bed in France at this hour.
Thanks.
**Update**
I was able to get a copy of v1.12 from someone in the IMDN Owners thread and it works fine with PB. I did hear from Olivier and he pointed out that usually gamecode versions released *after* an update of his software will not be compatible with PB. So, it's v1.12 until there's another PB update.

I have some notes in this thread on IM if you want to change icons, etc. Search by my username. Thanks.

#5312 11 months ago

Oga83, question just out of curiosity... When PB edits a stern file for just the graphics without smart dmd selected, why does the file get bigger? It seems like you are just changing pixels within the same pallette and not adding color data. Is it the kind of thing where different brightness have different data sizes or something? Thanks

#5313 11 months ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Oga83, question just out of curiosity... When PB edits a stern file for just the graphics without smart dmd selected, why does the file get bigger? It seems like you are just changing pixels within the same pallette and not adding color data. Is it the kind of thing where different brightness have different data sizes or something? Thanks

Which file are you talking about ? the firmware file ?
Its size should not change unless, in some cases, you use the Extend Memory function on Sam games

#5314 11 months ago

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stern firmware for SAM. Ah ok... So the limitation that was run into when doing the colorization was because of the smartdmd data getting added to firmware?

#5315 11 months ago
Quoted from Cadrion:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stern firmware for SAM. Ah ok... So the limitation that was run into when doing the colorization was because of the smartdmd data getting added to firmware?

I'm not sure what you mean.
When using the SmartDmd side-channel, no data is "added" to the firmware when you select a palette.
The palette id is just stored at a location that already exists in the frame header.
However, if you modify a pixel color, the frame size can increase or decrease (depending on the compression) and the frame can be relocated in memory.
When a frame size increases and can't be relocated, most likely because memory is fragmented or exhausted, you'll get a memory error.
There are explanations somewhere in this thread about how to solve memory fragmentation. Basically, all the modifications for the same frame have to be grouped together (use the "optimize" function in the Macro menu for this) and the macro has to run on a fresh fimware.

#5316 11 months ago

I'm getting a better understanding. I am more curious than anything about how it works. Thanks for the response!

#5317 11 months ago

Am I getting unknown firmware response, because I have not registered or is it just because stern has updated all the sd images since the 826 build? Just wanted to check to see what this would do before donating. Thanks

#5318 11 months ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Am I getting unknown firmware response, because I have not registered or is it just because stern has updated all the sd images since the 826 build? Just wanted to check to see what this would do before donating. Thanks

stern did a insider connect update over all images recently, since then i think they are not readable with unknown firmware. You will need an previous image.

#5319 11 months ago
Quoted from cabal:

stern did a insider connect update over all images recently, since then i think they are not readable with unknown firmware. You will need an previous image.

Is there a repository for these somewhere?

#5320 11 months ago

Not exactly. They are on Stern’s site but they typically only link to the most recent version. It takes some effort to find previous versions.

Use one of the backup images you’ve saved is probably the easiest method.

#5321 11 months ago

Heads up if SD card images are not compatible with pinball browser. You can use:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
And then browse back a month or two and try to download the code. It won't work, but it will give you the URL for the old code which you can then paste in and download
Here's an example of how I got the James Bond code:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5322 11 months ago

What game you looking for? Just note going back and forth between old code and new code can screw up some node boards.

#5323 11 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Heads up if SD card images are not compatible with pinball browser. You can use:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
And then browse back a month or two and try to download the code. It won't work, but it will give you the URL for the old code which you can then paste in and download
Here's an example of how I got the James Bond code:
[quoted image]

yes what great idea, this is so easy. They do now sometimes put the release date in url and not only the version number, this makes it much more complicated to reconstruct do download an old code. But nowadays stern is very quick to remove old code. It's best practice to download and store code versions of games you want to do modify.

#5324 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What game you looking for? Just note going back and forth between old code and new code can screw up some node boards.

FooFighter .91 I have not yet been able to use the tricks to find it.

#5325 11 months ago

I'm getting intermittent audio pops after importing a song into Pinball Browser v8.26. I've made sure all the details of the new file are the same as the original. 44100 hz, 16 PCM, Stereo. Length is the same to the millisecond. It's not redlining, as I've tried lowering the volume. And the pops happen at the exact same moments during playback in PB, even if I import different songs. I'm replacing Request 81 on Turtles Pro 1.54, and the pops come in at about 3, 8, 23, 46 seconds, etc. Different Requests seem to create pops at different points. I've tried importing as wav, mp3, lots of different settings, but nothing changes the pops and where they come up. I tested it in the machine, and the pops come through. Anyone else notice this? Is the file changed in some way when it gets imported into PB? Any possible fix for this?

TMNT Pinball Browser Song Info (resized).PNGTMNT Pinball Browser Song Info (resized).PNG
#5326 11 months ago
Quoted from JMB123:

I'm getting intermittent audio pops after importing a song into Pinball Browser v8.26. I've made sure all the details of the new file are the same as the original. 44100 hz, 16 PCM, Stereo. Length is the same to the millisecond. It's not redlining, as I've tried lowering the volume. And the pops happen at the exact same moments during playback in PB, even if I import different songs. I'm replacing Request 81 on Turtles Pro 1.54, and the pops come in at about 3, 8, 23, 46 seconds, etc. Different Requests seem to create pops at different points. I've tried importing as wav, mp3, lots of different settings, but nothing changes the pops and where they come up. I tested it in the machine, and the pops come through. Anyone else notice this? Is the file changed in some way when it gets imported into PB? Any possible fix for this?

With all firmwares released after PB v8.13, you can hear exactly two 10ms-clicks per sound. The position and intensity of these clicks depends on the original sound and the one you import. For some sounds, it's hard to hear them; for some others, you can't miss them. Unfortunately, this comes from a change in the firmware code and PB cannot remove these clicks.

#5327 11 months ago

Ah alright, thanks for the info.

#5328 11 months ago

FooFighter .91 I have not yet been able to use the tricks to find it.

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/SPIKE2xUpdate-Mar-2023/foo_fighters_le-0_91_0.spk.zip *SHOULD* have been the URL to the March-23rd Version .91 gamecode, but it fails.

#5329 11 months ago

Oga83 - what happens to a file when you bump up the volume while importing? Does it distort or hurt the sound quality or is it similar to increasing the volume while listening to music? I’m trying to find the best way to bring up the music in relation to the callouts while keeping the quality as close as possible to what I’ve downloaded. If I bring multiple files into audacity to normalize the volume does that reduce the overall sound quality? What is the best file type to us - WAV or MP3? Any best practices? Is there a volume / music import tutorial that gets into best practices and how it all works? Thanks for any insights.

#5330 11 months ago
Quoted from Speck:

Oga83 - what happens to a file when you bump up the volume while importing? Does it distort or hurt the sound quality or is it similar to increasing the volume while listening to music? I’m trying to find the best way to bring up the music in relation to the callouts while keeping the quality as close as possible to what I’ve downloaded. If I bring multiple files into audacity to normalize the volume does that reduce the overall sound quality? What is the best file type to us - WAV or MP3? Any best practices? Is there a volume / music import tutorial that gets into best practices and how it all works? Thanks for any insights.

Pinball Browser will work best with lossless formats (for example: wav; but NOT mp3) and a sampling frequency that is a multiple of the one used by the game (shown in the rightmost panel)
Regarding the volume, I am not an expert on the subject. All I can say is that it depends on the game and obviously you don't want to use clipped audio as input

#5331 11 months ago

Wanted to try Pinball Browser, play around a bit/learn, but when I try to open an image file, it says "unknown firmware". Is this a limitation as I've not purchased PB yet or it's firmware from a version or two back from latest?

Thanks!

Tim

#5332 11 months ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Wanted to try Pinball Browser, play around a bit/learn, but when I try to open an image file, it says "unknown firmware". Is this a limitation as I've not purchased PB yet or it's firmware from a version or two back from latest?
Thanks!
Tim

Sorry, see someone else asked a very similar question 5 days ago, and was mentioned it might be due to insider connect, newer firmware releases. However, this is a 1.09 firmware that should work

Tim

#5333 11 months ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Thanks!
Tim

No, it's not a limitation od the free version
I didn't find the game you were talking about but, most likelely, your firmware is too recent for Pinball Browser
The firmware compatibility list is in the change log at the end of the OP

#5334 11 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

No, it's not a limitation od the free version
I didn't find the game you were talking about but, most likelely, your firmware is too recent for Pinball Browser
The firmware compatibility list is in the change log at the end of the OP

Thank you, so I'd need version 8.10 to work with Guardians 1.09, 1.09 Guardians won't work with latest download/release of PB?

Tim

#5335 11 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Pinball Browser will work best with lossless formats (for example: wav; but NOT mp3) and a sampling frequency that is a multiple of the one used by the game (shown in the rightmost panel)
Regarding the volume, I am not an expert on the subject. All I can say is that it depends on the game and obviously you don't want to use clipped audio as input

Thanks - it’s been challenging getting the sound right.

1 week later
#5336 11 months ago

I am getting the following error when trying to write the TMNT 1987 Code to my SD Card. I am running Pinball Browser as administrator. Any Help would be appreciated.PB2 (resized).jpgPB2 (resized).jpgPB1 (resized).jpgPB1 (resized).jpg

#5337 11 months ago
Quoted from Andypc:

I am getting the following error when trying to write the TMNT 1987 Code to my SD Card. I am running Pinball Browser as administrator. Any Help would be appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

can you open the Details on the first windows?
i think i have seen this error before. Please try to delete all partitions on it and create one with fat32 and try again.
or try to delete the partions first then just let it run on the empty card.
Also look if you have no explorer open that is looking into the drives of the sd-card and close all the "can not read paration please fomat"

#5338 11 months ago

Just wondering if any headway on the static in music issue (codecs?). Part of my attempts to open/manipulate the 1.09 code of GOTG was to see if I could offer some expertise in the matter, as I wanted to see how they have it implemented/inserted in the code. Or it's more complicated in that Pinball Browser can't see or manipulate the codecs between code versions? Had thought maybe even seeing if the music/clips could be re-encoded with the updated codecs to match the new version as a thought.

Tim

#5339 11 months ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Just wondering if any headway on the static in music issue (codecs?). Part of my attempts to open/manipulate the 1.09 code of GOTG was to see if I could offer some expertise in the matter, as I wanted to see how they have it implemented/inserted in the code. Or it's more complicated in that Pinball Browser can't see or manipulate the codecs between code versions? Had thought maybe even seeing if the music/clips could be re-encoded with the updated codecs to match the new version as a thought.
Tim

I can send you a WAV file that has the static sound if that would be helpful? There is one song announcement track I came across in LZ that has the static sound. Thanks.

1 month later
#5340 10 months ago

Newb question. If I want to replace a song or sound file on a spike 2 game, do I need to burn a new SD card? Or can I do it via USB?

#5341 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Newb question. If I want to replace a song or sound file on a spike 2 game, do I need to burn a new SD card? Or can I do it via USB?

Pinball Browser no longer supports the SPK usb style files. It works directly with the sdcard images.

1 week later
#5342 9 months ago

So if all I have is 1.08 for Jurassic Park and PB only lists support for 1.07 then I have to wait for PB to add 1.08 I assume?
Tried downloading 1.07 using webarchive as noted above but get a 404 file not found error.

Any other options?

#5343 9 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

So if all I have is 1.08 for Jurassic Park and PB only lists support for 1.07 then I have to wait for PB to add 1.08 I assume?
Tried downloading 1.07 using webarchive as noted above but get a 404 file not found error.
Any other options?

Find someone that has the file and is willing to share it.

#5344 9 months ago

The download link has been marked as a virus and can't be downloaded from Google Drive. Any mirrors?

1 week later
#5345 9 months ago

Is the PB project dead? Download link isn't working anymore and no new updates for months

#5346 9 months ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

Is the PB project dead? Download link isn't working anymore and no new updates for months

No, the project is not dead
The last update was 3 month ago but adjusting PB for new firmwares takes time

Regarding the download link, I'm investigating this issue
I'm not sure why Google now flags PB 8.26 as infected
One month ago, it was not the case and the file has not changed :
vt1 (resized).pngvt1 (resized).png
The exact same file today :
vt2 (resized).pngvt2 (resized).png

#5347 9 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Regarding the download link, I'm investigating this issue

After 5 days, Google has still not answered to my request to unflag the file
To restore the download link, I moved the file to another platform than Google Drive

The url is still the same : http://download.pinballbrowser.com

#5348 9 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

After 5 days, Google has still not answered to my request to unflag the file
To restore the download link, I moved the file to another platform than Google Drive
The url is still the same : http://download.pinballbrowser.com

If you need some hosting space, I can help. I host Slochar's ROMs and all, and can easily host all the versions of your browser.
Just offering.

#5349 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If you need some hosting space, I can help. I host Slochar's ROMs and all, and can easily host all the versions of your browser.
Just offering.

Be nice if you could host the previous versions of code that still work with PB, if that is an option? Thanks.

#5350 9 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Just offering.

Thank you !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
There are 5,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/107?hl=cabal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.