Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pezpunk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    ac-dc-pink-sandal-flip-flops-woman-106709-1_(resized).jpg
    ACDCCabView_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago

I supported, then backed out of the first two kickstarter Pinball Arcade Campaigns. Usually with Kickstarter most give some sort of incentive to support their project, and not have the same benefits and pay more. Sure you're making sure they get the funding they need. But with a Stern partnership, and a roadmap already planned out, I'm going to guess Stern and Farsight will not let this fail if they haven't reached their goal by the end.

So while I'm extremely excited about this, I have no worries that it won't meet the goal, so I'll just purchase this when it comes out.

Hell, even if they would throw in a brand new shinny pinball ball, I bet they'd get more interest in support from people. To us, I'm sure we'd shrug our shoulders, but to others who've never actually held a pinball in their hand, they'd eat it up. I know I did they first time I got a pinball that was included in a computer game back in the early 90's. Can't remember what that was called now.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's just an advertising gimmick.
    They put up a Kickstarter, it comes up more in the search engines, people talk about it on the forums, it comes up more in the search engines, people link to in on Facebook, it comes up more in the search engines, it gets a Spotlight on Kickstarter, it comes up more in the search engines.....

Plus it's less out of their own pockets.

#61 7 years ago

I started off really liking Kickstarter. But I used it as a store. When someone had a great idea about a cool project, I'd support it, and in return, I got that product. But then there was a whole time of projects not getting released, and then some LARGE names using Kickstarter when they could have easily had the financial backing of investors. When the majority of the larger projects became a risk-free venture for themselves, then that's when I stopped supporting projects on Kickstarter.

Sure Farsight may not have the funds to pay in cash the licensing fees for ACDC, but they have a lot more pull with actual investors that could help out. And while we know this will eventually get funded, and everyone will get a table for the money they've invested, I just don't like the idea that Farsight is asking for risk-free, free money. And if that meant that we don't get an ACDC table, then that's the way business goes. I'd love to buy a storefront for my business, but I'm going to earn it on my own. So in the meantime, no one gets to shop in my physical store.

Regardless, I'll be buying this when it comes out. Just not supporting the Kickstarter project.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from BangBackula:

So far, every game released has had finished code. So how is that going to work for something like GB where the code is still a moving target?
    It's easy to say, well, they'll just patch it in, and maybe they will. Not looking to get into a bash session, but TPA kind of has a history of leaving mistakes behind that never get cleaned up.
    I imagine updating code would take way more work than fixing some missing insert text. I haven't played TPA in a while, but last I checked, (years into the project) there were still graphical mistakes that were never corrected even after promising they would.
    If they can't be bothered to go back and fix simple playfield omissions and typos, what faith does anyone have they will stay up to date on code revisions?

I'd think for this, it'd be much easier to update code from Stern. Visual bugs would be harder I think to fix. The code is already written, they would just need to drop it in.

#73 7 years ago

I think in the Kickstarter video, or maybe the text, they said that the visuals will be improved because some of the processing is being freed up because they don't need to emulate the software.

#75 7 years ago

LOL. Wut??

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Well,fellow Pinheads,i think we come to the parting of the ways! I;ve seen a lot of real crap go down in my 65 yrs! First,they come out with stuff they call real hot stuff,everybodys got to have it!Updated technology! Half of you will read this and say,ow that old dude does,nt know Jack! Half of you will nod your head and say,yeah,i see whats coming next! I don,t give a good bowel movement to pinball on a DIGITAL SCREEN!! Bull s..t! OH,cry,no room for a real pinball table?? Are you addicted to your electronics?? Look at these idiot people walking around with their heads up their butts,walking into people,on their iPhone! If you think for one second digital pinball is really the thing,then,please do! But form your own website for couch trolls!!

Wait a second.... How do you feel about the Back to the Future pinball machine? Do you feel it's the "Holy Grail" of pinball machines? hmmm.

#84 7 years ago

I can only imagine it's either really good news, or really bad. They've found an investor who will invest all that's needed. Or ACDC says No WAY in Hell are you going to make a digital version.

#88 7 years ago

What's interesting is Farsight made a comment in the Kickstarter comments section just less than 2 hours before canceling. So my thought is something came up where they were told to cease and desist or face legal action. Because there tone shouldn't have changed that quickly in such a short amount of time.

Their comment, which seems pretty confident that the project wouldn't be canceled.
    "It's possible we can release on certain platforms sooner than November."

#111 7 years ago

My thought is that it's kind of a cart before the horse issue. They've gone public asking for money for an ACDC license and used ACDC imagery (and sounds? Did the video have their music?), and that may have been a no no. They were using ACDC to make money to buy a license to be able to use ACDC.

So my thought is they got in trouble for something they were trying to do leagally.

While there may be little $5 trinkets with their logos on them, those companies have already paid for the license. Farsight has not, yet. So technically, ACDC has every right to shut them down. Or at least tell them to stop using their imagery until they have the license.

#116 7 years ago

I'm going to guess we may actually see a re-tooled campaign starting today with language similar to "This money will go towards the future purchase of a new license we'd like to get."

Thinking that since they haven't said a word yet about it, I bet they're working their butts off to re-start the campaign to keep it fresh in people's minds as they know exactly which license they want to get.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-coming-to-pinball-arcade?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.