Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pezpunk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
    ac-dc-pink-sandal-flip-flops-woman-106709-1_(resized).jpg
    ACDCCabView_(resized).png
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

It's also at least possible that AC/DC told them to knock it off since they (presumably) don't have a license to use AC/DC's IP on the Kickstarter page.

One would assume one of the points of the kickstarter is to get funding for the license.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

One would assume one of the points of the kickstarter is to get funding for the license.

I meant that maybe they didn't have permission even to use AC/DC's name and image on their Kickstarter page. But if they can't even get that without a Kickstarter ... they've got a problem.

[EDIT: To be clear this is rank speculation -- I was just trying to come up with a reason why they'd bag a Kickstarter that by all appearances was off to a strong start]

#103 7 years ago

Oh this is good.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

they didn't have permission even to use AC/DC's name and image

The pinball machine might have been better off without their images.

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The pinball machine might have been better off without their images.

The could do a Hell's Belles retheme (all-female AC/DC cover band), would be a step up from looking at Angus and co!

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

AC/DC will license their image to anything from $1 can openers to $6 flipflops.
    Anything to make a dime.

Difference with this is the digital reproduction of their music. Slapping their name on something is one thing, but letting a company release a product that has files containing the songs themselves, may be a little harder to get the licensors to agree to.

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Difference with this is the digital reproduction of their music. Slapping their name on something is one thing, but letting a company release a product that has files containing the songs themselves, may be a little harder to get the licensors to agree to.

I take your point, but I refuse to believe there's not a $5 bottle opener that plays 30 seconds of "Highway to Hell" everytime you pop one open ...

#108 7 years ago

i don't know what the deal is, but i don't understand why a rock band would want to STOP a company from trying to pay them big wads of cash to put their likeness and music in front of peoples' faces.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Good point. ACDC was one of the last big bands to release their music on iTunes so they could very well have some issues with a digital release of the table.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good point. ACDC was one of the last big bands to release their music on iTunes so they could very well have some issues with a digital release of the table.

Could be their attorneys or people representing them pushing for max money. Thought I saw Angus had a net worth of $140 million. Since he is so wealthy he could make him go either way - 1. Who cares how much money we get for our material or i have kids and grandkids I have to take care of - push the price on anyone who wants a piece of me.

#111 7 years ago

My thought is that it's kind of a cart before the horse issue. They've gone public asking for money for an ACDC license and used ACDC imagery (and sounds? Did the video have their music?), and that may have been a no no. They were using ACDC to make money to buy a license to be able to use ACDC.

So my thought is they got in trouble for something they were trying to do leagally.

While there may be little $5 trinkets with their logos on them, those companies have already paid for the license. Farsight has not, yet. So technically, ACDC has every right to shut them down. Or at least tell them to stop using their imagery until they have the license.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

My thought is that it's kind of a cart before the horse issue. They've gone public asking for money for an ACDC license and used ACDC imagery (and sounds? Did the video have their music?), and that may have been a no no.

This is my guess. AC/DC today has no contract and no money from Farsight, but their brand and imagery is being used to "pre-sell" games.

Farsight has probably been lucky that no IP owners previously caught on or noticed their kickstarters, as any of them could have enforced the same thing.

Imagine the can of worms that could be opened if anyone used any brand's IP for crowd funding, hoping to be able to pay that brand down the road, but no guarantee of anything, and the brand never OK'ing how any of their IP was used for the campaign since there was no contract or process in place.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is my guess. AC/DC today has no contract and no money from Farsight, but their brand and imagery is being used to "pre-sell" games.
    Farsight has probably been lucky that no IP owners previously caught on or noticed their kickstarters, as any of them could have enforced the same thing.
    Imagine the can of worms that could be opened if anyone used any brand's IP for crowd funding, hoping to be able to pay that brand down the road, but no guarantee of anything, and the brand never OK'ing how any of their IP was used for the campaign since there was no contract or process in place.

But I guess they did the same with TAF and any other kickstart project....

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

But I guess they did the same with TAF and any other kickstart project....

Exactly. This is likely the first time anyone noticed.

Same thing went for Predator... that was under the radar for a long time... till it wasn't.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

This is probably what happened, yes.

#116 7 years ago

I'm going to guess we may actually see a re-tooled campaign starting today with language similar to "This money will go towards the future purchase of a new license we'd like to get."

Thinking that since they haven't said a word yet about it, I bet they're working their butts off to re-start the campaign to keep it fresh in people's minds as they know exactly which license they want to get.

#117 7 years ago

Ac/DC shut it down. They are refusing to license any thing related to pinball and/or Stern. It's not about the money, per se. They feel Stern screwed them when they paid KISS so much more for the rights for their machine. When you have FU money, it becomes more about keeping score. (Money = Points), it would take an obscene amount of money to bring AC/DC back to the table with Stern. All tables since KISS have had digital rights built into the licensing agreement. AC/DC does not.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

They feel Stern screwed them when they paid KISS so much more for the rights for their machine.

The KISS deal is public knowledge? How would anyone know what the size of the check was?

I think the far simpler explanation of Farsight not having the rights "today" to use their IP is the explanation.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

They feel Stern screwed them when they paid KISS so much more for the rights for their machine.

This can't be true. If it were, it would be a nice opportunity for ACDC to suck Stern for some more $€$€$ instead of closing the project.

My guess is that farsight didn't contact or asked permission to use ACDC material to get money from the costumers.
    This will probably be resolved in a few days with a kickstarter like "we need money for our next license".

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

This can't be true. If it were, it would be a nice opportunity for ACDC to suck Stern for some more $€$€$ instead of closing the project.

Yeah, good logic. If Kiss signed away their digital rights with the license, then ACDC would have the opportunity to make MORE than Kiss from Farsight by double dipping. To kill it out of spite and leave that money on the table makes no sense.

See explanation 1 above .

#121 7 years ago

Check your email. Farsight just updated saying they were able to renegotiate and didn't need a kickstarter anymore.

Totally not what i expected to hear

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

Check your email. Farsight just updated saying they were able to renegotiate and didn't need a kickstarter anymore.

I'm gonna get carpal tunnel from pressing F5 repeatedly!

#123 7 years ago

"Thanks to the amazing reception that Stern Pinball Arcade has received, we’ve been able to enter into a new partnership that will allow us to fully fund this license without contributions from our loyal backer community! Development on the table can therefore start immediately, which will allow us to bring you this great table even sooner then we’d planned. We will release more information about this exciting development soon- stay tuned! Thank you so much for backing us! Without you, adding tables with premium licenses like this one would normally not be possible. We appreciate your loyalty to our products and your dedication to the art of pinball."

#124 7 years ago

So.... ac/dc took less money?

#125 7 years ago

They should have done this work before even thinking about a kickstarter.

But these are great news. Just make the game and sell it, like every company has been doing for so many years.

#126 7 years ago

Curious.....is all the money that had been donated then returned?

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Curious.....is all the money that had been donated then returned?

Money isn't charged until the campaign is successful.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Money isn't charged until the campaign is successful.

Ah. Thanks

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

well that's great news!

#130 7 years ago

Old news: one don't have to wait to play digital AC/DC pinball!

maxresdefault_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

i wonder if Slash was like "look, FarSight, I'll pay this off for you if you guys do GnR next"

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-coming-to-pinball-arcade/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.