Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Maken
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've been playing my ACDC more lately and am falling in love with Luci all over again. But, the game could really use some tweaks in a a few areas. I know it's all been discussed before, but those threads are long faded away.

- Make BIB require only 1 specifically lit target on the left bank to qualify the note shots. Subsequent hits to a specific lit target lights a note for double score (like FTATR)

- No hell mode on the start of a ball at the saucer. It's pointless! Allow the player to qualify the notes and mini playfield. Scoring in the mini playfield improves your main playfield note values. Use the color changing feature of the inserts too please. Display mini playfield points total when done.

- Increase values for target, loop etc jackpots

- Increase multiball cannon value shot to targets. Or make the player have a more difficult choice to shoot the target because the target affects jackpot scoring.

- Sound effects for using VIP pass

- VIP pass may - or may not score the bell in Hells Bells. Some of the lucrativeness has to be taken away to balance with the other songs.

- FTATR cannon shots raise note values in addition to lighting some notes for double.

- Bell saucer scores 5 million points if you get it outside of HB.

- Add the live mode please

- Songs don't start over from ball to ball if possible please

- Use the cannon inserts in FTATR. Lighting all 4 inserts does something? Points, electric shock, something?

Man, I feel like there's just so much untapped potential in ACDC. But, I would really like to see better balance in the songs, better scoring opportunities outside of song jackpot and of course better rules for the mini playfield.

One can always hope Lyman will some day surprise us all with another update.

Rob

#2 8 years ago

- Songs don't start over from ball to ball if possible please

This is my biggest complaint. Some songs like Thunderstuck have such long intros, it sucks having to hear it start all over again. Or lose the ball right before a guitar solo. They need to do it like KISS. Song continues into next ball. Just adjusting that would make the game so much better.

#3 8 years ago

There's an adjustment to change the access to the lower playfield from easy to hard. That should do what you want. I like it a lot. It makes the lower playfield feel more like a reward than a chore.

#4 8 years ago

I'll even take Metallica's compromise of song "checkpoints". But I really love the intro to Whole Lotta Rosie.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

There's an adjustment to change the access to the lower playfield from easy to hard. That should do what you want. I like it a lot. It makes the lower playfield feel more like a reward than a chore.

I think I will go try that right now!

edit: Hard setting is better!

Rob

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from cornycrunch:

I'll even take Metallica's compromise of song "checkpoints". But I really love the intro to Whole Lotta Rosie.

That's my favorite song in the game. I know maybe others might not like it, but I love it!

Rob

#7 8 years ago

Even if Lyman decides to work on this someday, it's doubtful he will implement these suggestions. He may like those things as they are and care about other things.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Even if Lyman decides to work on this someday, it's doubtful he will implement these suggestions. He may like those things as they are and care about other things.

Of course! This is just sharing ideas and nothing more.

Rob

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from mozach:

Thx I didn't know this setting excisted I'll have to search for it

#10 8 years ago

Update AC/DC code? Kiss owners think you're just being greedy!

If they did update AC/DC, there's a chance it could change something you like about it though... I know on IM I didn't like the fact that they lowered the Do or Die jackpot from 50M to 35M.

#11 8 years ago

Some great ideas here. I just wish it had modes where the lower and upper playfields were active at the same time. That would actually make the lower playfield fun and add a whole new layer of chaos to playing. And it would be nice to see a ball save for when you fire the canon and it insta-drains off the drop targets; that's so frustrating especially when you have a good size jackpot you've been building. With just a few tweaks, this could easily be my favorite Stern.

#12 8 years ago

AC/DC is fine the way it is. Personally, there are so many other games, i'd rather seehave code completed than a game that already has great code. I have AC/DC, it's fine the way it is. Spend the time more productive and help out the guys who have games seriously lacking in the code department.

#13 8 years ago

I'm sure I remember that Lyman did update the code for one of the big tournaments (was it PAPA in 2015?) with some minor tweaks. The speculation was that there were a few more things to do in the code before it was released. But to my memory nothing came from that

Anyone else remember this?

#14 8 years ago

<<AC/DC is fine the way it is>>

Really? Cause everyone knows there's only one big strategy for points and thats Hells Bells all day long. If the code was fine then why are tournament machines needing to be physically hacked apart. I keep hoping Lyman will fix it. Until he does, his 'masterpiece' is as flawed as his Batman code (1Bill pts)

#15 8 years ago

I think AC/DC is very well balanced. No one song has leverage over the rest. Some are riskier than others, but if you sit and play just one song and try to milk it, it's going to be hard to get good points. Just in the bonus department alone. You get big bonus for number of songs you complete.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think AC/DC is very well balanced. No one song has leverage over the rest.

I would not agree with this. BIB is the worst song (IMHO) because it's the hardest to qualify the note shots. It scores no better than the other songs which are far easier to qualify note shots. This is a song you only play if you are trying to make it to encore or you just want to hear the music. There is no scoring 'fun' in this song. Now having said that I do think most of the other songs are fairly balanced, just a few are not. We all know HB is too lucrative with the VIP pass - if played properly.

Rob

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

I'm sure I remember that Lyman did update the code for one of the big tournaments (was it PAPA in 2015?) with some minor tweaks. The speculation was that there were a few more things to do in the code before it was released. But to my memory nothing came from that
Anyone else remember this?

I don't know about PAPA 2015, but it happened for PAPA 2014 and the code wasn't released until some time in mid 2015. Was it just rumor that there was an update for PAPA 2015 or did it really happen? If so, what was changed?

Rob

#18 8 years ago

i would be happy even if it was just an update for the songs not starting over.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

AC/DC is fine the way it is. Personally, there are so many other games, i'd rather seehave code completed than a game that already has great code. I have AC/DC, it's fine the way it is. Spend the time more productive and help out the guys who have games seriously lacking in the code department.

I don't think ACDC needs major work like some other games, but it could use a few tweaks. Not just to the game code rules...

- Ball doesn't auto launch on coin door being closed.
- Game does not go into ball search when coin door is open and a ball is in the shooter lane.
- Lower playfield ball launch coil doesn't machine gun if opto is bad

Rob

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I don't think ACDC needs major work like some other games, but it could use a few tweaks. Not just to the game code rules...

omg let's not waste developer time for silly crap.

Quoted from Rob_G:

- Ball doesn't auto launch on coin door being closed.

So pull the plunger. Omg.

Quoted from Rob_G:

- Game does not go into ball search when coin door is open and a ball is in the shooter lane.

Why would it? The ball is not lost. It's in a known position. Ball search is for missing balls that are not accounted for.

Quoted from Rob_G:

- Lower playfield ball launch coil doesn't machine gun if opto is bad
Rob

If your machine is broken then fix it. Wtf?

#21 8 years ago

ACDC is a great game but after a while I found the rules to be repetitive and lacking in variety. All of the multiballs and modes (the songs) basically play the same with pretty much the same DMD animations playing throughout. The games rules never really guide you in an interesting way for what to do next (such as hitting lit shots) and the lower playfield on the premium felt underused and poorly integrated code wise. Also, too many features on ACDC are locked behind certain modes (example, TNT detonator can only be activated while playing TNT), the shot behind the bell only matters during Hell's Bells, etc which overall limits the games fun factor in my opinion. Also, do the horn inserts even do anything?

The game deserves another update or two. Adding "hit lit shots" rules to each song + mulitball, adding in some more multiball DMD animations, and expanding the lower playfields use (ex, another multiball that has both playfields running) would make the game 10x better in my opinion.

I remember hearing multiple times "it won't be done until 2.0 is released". Well, I think Lyman got shifted to work on Metallica, then the Spike project came along that took up a lot of his time and too much time had passed to go back to ACDC.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

omg let's not waste developer time for silly crap.

Why would it? The ball is not lost. It's in a known position. Ball search is for missing balls that are not accounted for.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

That's not the problem. The ball auto launches when the coin door is closed. It's an annoying trait when adjusting the volume that the ball launches when you don't want it to (yet). None of my other Sterns do this, so why should ACDC...

Quoted from markmon:

Sorry, you're reading this backwards. The game does go into an unnecessary ball search when the coin door is open and a ball is in the shooter lane. I was merely stating what could be tweaked, not the existing problem.

Quoted from markmon:

Nope, my game isn't broken. But, others have been where the bad opto causes the coil to malfunction and the fuse eventually blows. At least the blown fuse probably avoids a coil meltdown. One guy had his game down over a month because he forgot to plug in the opto connector and it was blowing fuses as a result. You have to know stuff like this because it affects other owners... Oh wait, you weren't there, but I was and his game got fixed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-acdc-problem

Rob

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

That's not the problem. The ball auto launches when the coin door is closed. It's an annoying trait when adjusting the volume that the ball launches when you don't want it to (yet). None of my other Sterns do this, so why should ACDC...

I have many sterns and most of them do this. Do you have coindoor ball saver enabled? I think that setting impacts this behavior.

Quoted from Rob_G:

Sorry, you're reading this backwards. The game does go into an unnecessary ball search when the coin door is open and a ball is in the shooter lane. I was merely stating what could be tweaked, not the existing problem.

If you open the coin door, then high power to the coils is cut so the ball search cannot run. If you close the coin door, then the ball is launched. At which point does it go into ball search?

Quoted from Rob_G:

Nope, my game isn't broken. But, others have been where the bad opto causes the coil to malfunction and the fuse eventually blows. At least the blown fuse probably avoids a coil meltdown. One guy had his game down over a month because he forgot to plug in the opto connector and it was blowing fuses as a result. You have to know stuff like this because it affects other owners... Oh wait, you weren't there, but I was and his game got fixed.

Great the game was fixed and all is well now. So why does Lyman need to drop other projects and spend time on this specific issue? If someone's game is "down over a month" maybe he should fix it. That's not a code problem. If the game has an issue, it's still down. Why would people think its fun to play partially working games anyway? It's not. I like the machine gunning coil. It tells you there's a problem and you should *stop* playing your broken game and fix it.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I remember hearing multiple times "it won't be done until 2.0 is released". Well, I think Lyman got shifted to work on Metallica, then the Spike project came along that took up a lot of his time and too much time had passed to go back to ACDC.

I remember that too, but that was over 2 years ago I think.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:the shot behind the bell only matters during Hell's Bells, etc which overall limits the games fun factor in my opinion. Also, do the horn inserts even do anything?

The hell inserts score a few points and might re-qualify the lower playfield. That's about it. The saucer behind the bell is under utilized for sure, but it's not easy to shoot so nobody really misses that.

Rob

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have many sterns and most of them do this. Do you have coindoor ball saver enabled? I think that setting impacts this behavior.

It's enabled, but I'm sure it's also enabled on my MET. Just a nuance of the game I suppose.

Quoted from markmon:

If you open the coin door, then high power to the coils is cut so the ball search cannot run. If you close the coin door, then the ball is launched. At which point does it go into ball search?

Strange, but I couldn't quite reproduce this today. The cannon motor and bell magnet aren't tied into the high voltage so they still will operate. You can still hear the sound effects for the coils even though they don't fire. It just seems odd that a ball search would even try to run when high voltage is off.

Quoted from markmon:

Great the game was fixed and all is well now. So why does Lyman need to drop other projects and spend time on this specific issue? If someone's game is "down over a month" maybe he should fix it. That's not a code problem.

No one ever said or even implied they want Lyman to drop other projects and spend time on ACDC. You're taking simple discussion and interperating it as a demand which it never has been. It's just discussion and a bit of wishful thinking, that is all.

Rob

#28 8 years ago

Just stop allowing player to choose the same song from the jukebox. Should be one and done! Besides there are 11 other songs to get too--that alone solves some loopholes. So simple, geez

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Just stop allowing player to choose the same song from the jukebox. Should be one and done! Besides there are 11 other songs to get too--that alone solves some loopholes. So simple, geez

That would work. Or it could be a game setting to allow songs to be chosen again or not.

Rob

#30 8 years ago

I was playing Luci today and having a pretty good game. I was paying attention to the combo lights and either they don't work right or there are some obscure rules involving combos. I noticed sometimes the combo lights didn't light at all (or count) from a ramp shot. With some songs the combo lights only light for the ramps and not the orbit lanes. Plus the combo light doesn't light (or alternate) when the note is lit for a song shot. I should have probably had a 10 way combo at one point, but it seemed to stop counting at 6 or 7 because I hit the left orbit as part of the chain.

For the first time today, I had jackpots lit on all 5 ACDC targets when starting multiball!

Rob

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

For the first time today, I had jackpots lit on all 5 ACDC targets when starting multiball!
Rob

How do you do that? I'm surprised no-one ever wrote an in depth guide for the game.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

How do you do that? I'm surprised no-one ever wrote an in depth guide for the game.

He had other Jackpots lit not jackpots for the multiball. Examples could be Target Jackpot, Combo Jackpot, Loop Jackpot, Collect Bonus Jackpot etc etc. All are lit by completing a number of things like loops, target banks or pop bumper levels.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-acdc-rule-sheet

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-code-update-oh-i-wish?hl=cornycrunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.