Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Owning both the latest and greatest from Stern I can honestly say AC/DC would be nothing with out the excellent code written by Lyman. The games layout is simple with lot's of drains down the middle and a uninspiring mini pf that I tend to avoid when playing the game. Sure the music is great and it gets you into the game and those back to back ramp shoots can be rewarding at times but simply, Xmen is the better game minus what it is currently lacking in code.

#2 11 years ago

I was about to ask "what mini PF?"....

Stupid premiums.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

The games layout is simple with lot's of drains down the middle and a uninspiring mini pf that I tend to avoid when playing the game.

By not utilizing the mini PF you are missing out on building some huge song jackpots (H2H) especially if you get 2x or 3x before going into it. I had a Song Jackpot of just under 200 mil by using the mini PF as part of the way to build it up.

Yes I agree that the code is what makes ACDC great but the design of the PF is perfect for this style of code (cant see how it would be as successful on a layout like Xmen) You need a high risk drain type game for the risk/reward code that ACDC gives you. Ball times are too long on Xmen to support this style of code.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

Xmen is the better game minus what it is currently lacking in code.

IMO I cant ever see Xmen being better then ACDC. Atleast it will never give you the kind of rush you get when you bypass a big song jackpot in order to try n get to 3X before cashing it in.

Watch Keith's video on PAPA's video site if you havent already. That game was nice & he was just a song away from encore. Plus I already know he's had 2 more games that blow that score away. The mini PF has some cool looping shots & the stand ups can be challenging too.

#4 11 years ago

Remind me again why you bought one? Weren't you just saying a couple of weeks ago that it was boring? Do you always troll this much?

If yes on the last question, I'd suggest you try fresher bait next time. The bait in this thread is old and smelly.

#5 11 years ago

The mini pf is just not fun, plain and simple.

AC/DC was not a hit when it first came out, the code is what makes this game. Some many great aspects to the code on this game that makes the game so much fun!

Xmen was so many more shots that AC/DC.

I wish I could have Xmen with the rules of AC/DC and hopefully someday I will but for now, I settle owning both games. :p

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Remind me again why you bought one? Weren't you just saying a couple of weeks ago that it was boring? Do you always troll this much?
    If yes on the last question, I'd suggest you try fresher bait next time. The bait in this thread is old and smelly.

The new code pushed me into it. Lyman is a master at what he does! What can I say?

Sorry if you don't like my opinion but I am not sure about you but most people don't spend 6+ G on things they don't like for whatever reason.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

I wish I could have Xmen with the rules of AC/DC and hopefully someday I will but for now, I settle owning both games. :p

ACDC style code wouldnt work well. Xmen just doesnt have the risk of draining your ball as much as ACDC.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

AC/DC was not a hit when it first came out, the code is what makes this game.

Even before 1.6 code the game was a blast to play. I didnt see the people dumping their LE's like I have with Xmen. Havent even seen that many people getting rid of their premiums either.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

How long have you had it? The mini PF takes time to get the loop timing down & its actually more fun then quite a few mini PF's ive played in the past.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

I'm sure you've heard that expression "sometimes less is more". Cramming more shots onto a PF doesnt always make it a better design.

#9 11 years ago

Acdc is a decent two flipper Steve Ritchie design. But I agree it's the code that makes it exceptional. Lyman is exceptional. He is the software guy behind 3 of 4 of the top 4 pinside top 100 games.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

ACDC style code wouldnt work well. Xmen just doesnt have the risk of draining your ball as much as ACDC.

Even before 1.6 code the game was a blast to play. I didnt see the people dumping their LE's like I have with Xmen. Havent even seen that many people getting rid of their premiums either.

How long have you had it? The mini PF takes time to get the loop timing down & its actually more fun then quite a few mini PF's ive played in the past.

AC/DC has great code but yeah, AC/DC code in Xmen was not really what I was saying.

The current Xmen code is weak but their is potential. What is out now for that game should have been what the game was released with.

First impressions of owning, not even a week.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yes it is, and I'm one who usually doesn't care for mini pf's. At least this one is below the main pf so it doesn't waste real estate on the main pf. It's fun, especially when you get the loops going in very rapid succession.

AC/DC was not a hit when it first came out, the code is what makes this game. Some many great aspects to the code on this game that makes the game so much fun!

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? It was a hit when it first came out. The LE's went up in price even faster than Tron LE did! And that was *despite* the fact that there is a Premium model!

X-Men would be terrible with AC/DC code/rules. Do you even understand what you are saying? This doesn't even make sense.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Acdc is a decent two flipper Steve Ritchie design. But I agree it's the code that makes it exceptional. Lyman is exceptional. He is the software guy behind 3 of 4 of the top 4 pinside top 100 games.

He has a great passion for pinball and it shows.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

What you talkin' 'bout Willis? It was a hit when it first came out. The LE's went up in price even faster than TRON LE did! And that was *despite* the fact that there is a Premium model!

X-Men would be terrible with AC/DC code/rules. Do you even understand what you are saying? This doesn't even make sense.

The LE's for AC/DC do nothing for me, just not that big of an AC/DC fan. I remember playing AC/DC at the A-Town show. Honestly... If someone would have bet me 100 bucks that it would be my first NIB game I would be 100 dollars less richer right now.

sigh... Not AC/DC code in Xmen, I mean the lack of time spend on the current code in Xmen. It is incomplete where AC/DC feel like a much more polished game.

#14 11 years ago

I'm gonna have to try this again with the latest rules. Played it many times when it came out and had the same criticisms--layout was uninspired (T2 anyone?) and too many drain shots--might say it was a bit 'clunky'! And the early rules didn't grab me.

#15 11 years ago

As i've said in other threads what makes ACDC so great is that its probably the best risk reward game ever made. The only other one that comes to mind is another popular players pin BSD.

The great thing about ACDC is that every ball can have you on the edge of your feet trying like hell to build up a huge song jackpot & making you question yourself everytime its ready to cash in Do I take the points now or risk building it up even bigger with the multipliers & the added incentize of the extra cashouts via Tour & Album MB.

Add in the fact that their is even more ways to build up bigger jackpots via the Super Modes (super lanes & loops) which i'm still trying to figure out. Thats what makes ACDC so great, There is no one way to play it & it gives you sooo many opportunities to score big. That plus the fact that Lyman still has much more in the works makes ACDC the long term keeper & best Stern game to date.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

The LE's for AC/DC do nothing for me, just not that big of an AC/DC fan. I remember playing AC/DC at the A-Town show. Honestly... If someone would have bet me 100 bucks that it would be my first NIB game I would be 100 dollars less richer right now.

Ok, but what do your personal feelings about the LE's have to do with whether the pin was a hit when it first came out?

sigh... Not AC/DC code in Xmen, I mean the lack of time spend on the current code in Xmen. It is incomplete where AC/DC feel like a much more polished game.

Ok, that makes a little more sense.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ok, but what do your personal feelings about the LE's have to do with whether the pin was a hit when it first came out?

Nothing... I am judging what my feelings where when I play it and the others around me at the time.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I'm gonna have to try this again with the latest rules. Played it many times when it came out and had the same criticisms--layout was uninspired (T2 anyone?) and too many drain shots--might say it was a bit 'clunky'! And the early rules didn't grab me.

All and all it's cool. As I said before, before I even bought it... I prefer a game with modes and although AC/DC does have them, it's just not the same as most other games. When you complete a mode you really don't know or feel like you did. Another thing that drives me nuts is when you are really getting into a song that has a long intro like Thunderstruck and you drain. The damn song starts all over again from the beginning. If they are going to allow you to change the song, they really should allow you at the start of ever ball.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Another thing that drives me nuts is when you are really getting into a song that has a long intro like Thunderstruck and you drain. The damn song starts all over again from the beginning. If they are going to allow you to change the song, they really should allow you at the start of ever ball.

I laugh every time I read someone complaining about a song starting over once you drain. If you wanna hear more of the song or the whole thing play better and guess what? You'll hear the whole song.

You expect to be rewarded for poor play??

#20 11 years ago

After spending 45 bucks on it today At blainbrook i have 86ed my order for it.

#21 11 years ago

holy smokes! 5 bucks/play?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I laugh every time I read someone complaining about a song starting over once you drain. If you wanna hear more of the song or the whole thing play better and guess what? You'll hear the whole song.
    You expect to be rewarded for poor play??

Huh, thought I was the only one who felt this way about it.

Play better, who's this Steve Ritchie?

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Huh, thought I was the only one who felt this way about it.
    Play better, who's this Steve Ritchie?

I guess you expect to be paid off to when you bet on a horse that finished 8th too huh?

Guess i'm one of the few that hopes Stern doesnt change it to where the song picks up where it left off after you drain.

#24 11 years ago

The layout, the rules, the lights, sound and music all suit each other so well its unbelievable. I stare at the layout whitewood style when its switched off and wonder how it can be so good then I flick the switch, hit that button and its on for young and old.
    Not everyone will get it but its pure old school pinball in the modern era. Games like LOTR and TSPP were, I thought, more my style of game but this grabs you by the balls and you nearly have to have a fight with it to get it happening, but when you do all hell breaks loose. Too many drains? Get more practice!
    These days code is less limited than layout design. Design-wise you make a target, code-wise you can make it do a hundred things. The trick is to provide the playfield that suits, and Ritchie has done this admirably, then again, he's a fella who knows what he's doing.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

The layout, the rules, the lights and the music all suit each other so well its unbelievable. I stare at the layout whiteboard style when its switched off and wonder how it can be so good then I flick the switch, hit that button and its on for young and old.
    Not everyone will get it but its pure old school pinball brought into the modern era. Games like LOTR and TSPP were, I thought, more my style of game but this grabs you by the balls and you nearly have to have a fight with it to get it happening, but when you do all hell breaks loose. Too many drains? Get more practice!
    I think these days code is lot less limited than layout design. Design-wise you make a target, code-wise you can make it do a hundred things. The trick is to provide the playfield that suits, and Ritchie has done this admirably, then again, he's a fella who knows what he's doing.

Well said. Couldnt agree more with everything you stated. A PF doesnt have to have 12 shots to be great.

#26 11 years ago

Tron is a great game that is simple and works but even it has more shots than AC/DC... However with that said, I bought a AC/DC over Tron.

When it comes to pinball, great code is #1 for me on what makes a good game great. AC/DC is a prime example of that.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Tron is a great game that is simple and works but even it has more shots than AC/DC..

Tron with its 3 flipper design has 1 more shot then ACDC when counting the scoop. But ACDC has more important shots to stand-ups & Drops. All in all they have about the same amount of shots.

Both have a few less then Xmen & both IMO play better.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

All and all it's cool. As I said before, before I even bought it... I prefer a game with modes and although AC/DC does have them, it's just not the same as most other games. When you complete a mode you really don't know or feel like you did. Another thing that drives me nuts is when you are really getting into a song that has a long intro like Thunderstruck and you drain. The damn song starts all over again from the beginning. If they are going to allow you to change the song, they really should allow you at the start of ever ball.

"Play better"!

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

If they are going to allow you to change the song, they really should allow you at the start of ever ball.

I have no dog in this race, but It does seem like you should be able to change the song for every ball rather than being forced to listen to the same beginning part of the previous song again.

#30 11 years ago

I count atleast 11 different shots on acdc le/ premium

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I have no dog in this race, but It does seem like you should be able to change the song for every ball rather than being forced to listen to the same beginning part of the previous song again.

Changing the song is made by a series of shots

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Nope you need to qualify the jukebox in order to change the song. Especially important since it requires to play all 12 songs to reach Encore (Wizard Mode).

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I count atleast 11 different shots on acdc le/ premium

11? Look at the jukebox in the back & you'll see 12.

#34 11 years ago

There are some hard to please people in this world.....

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Nope you need to qualify the jukebox in order to change the song. Especially important since it requires to play all 12 songs to reach Encore (Wizard Mode).

Changing the song is made by a series of shots

How many shots are needed per song to qualify them and are those shots in a particular order?
    Sorry to bother with ACDC newb questions, but I am in the market to buy another machine and want to learn as much as I can to make a decision. Thanks in advance for the patience.

#36 11 years ago

omfg we are doing this comparison again?

#37 11 years ago

One of the best moments is getting to the end of a song and hitting it into the top hole just as the final note plays.... then changing to your next song. For gods sake you can't have the song continuing when you lose the ball, the song IS the mode! Wanna hear the whole song? - turn the music down and put a cd on!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

How many shots are needed per song to qualify them and are those shots in a particular order?

8 song modes need to be completed ( Factory settings) dont need to be in any order. Some require more work (TNT = 3 bank drops, Rosie 3 "AXE" rollovers) Others are easier like War Machine & Rock & Roll Train requiring one shot.

#39 11 years ago

I just flat love this pin. I can't imagine what changes are in store.

On thing I don't want, is the song to continue. It should be earned. As stated above, the songs ARE the modes.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

8 song modes need to be completed ( Factory settings) dont need to be in any order. Some require more work (TNT = 3 bank drops, Rosie 3 "AXE" rollovers) Others are easier like War Machine & Rock & Roll Train requiring one shot.

Thanks. Do you change the song as soon as you have completed the needed shots or do you build up multipliers or points etc. until the next song? I guess I am asking how do you change a song and when is it time to change a song (I know.. stupid newb questions, sorry).

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Thanks. Do you change the song as soon as you have completed the needed shots or do you build up multipliers or points etc. until the next song? I guess I am asking how do you change a song and when is it time to change a song (I know.. stupid newb questions, sorry).

When you can change the song you have to shoot the right orbit that wraps around to a pf lock that allows you to change the song.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

There are 2 ways to play ACDC really. Playing to reach Encore or playing for max score. If playing for encore you should change the song as soon as its ready. If playing for score vs. friends or in a competition its best sometimes to stay in certain songs since they are more lucrative then others. More examples of what makes the game so interesting to play.

#43 11 years ago

Shots: left ramp, right ramp, cannon, acdc drop targets, rock standup targets, tnt drop targets could be counted as two with the plunger target, left orbit, right orbit, jukebox, I suppose axe rollovers, Bell which technically could be counted as 2 with the ball lock in the back.

Lower level: left orbit, right orbit, standups.

So by that count its 16 shots or 14 if the two extra don't count

#44 11 years ago

I'd take better code over design for every machine I have! Beats the crap out of better design than code!

#45 11 years ago

Shots: left ramp, right ramp, cannon, acdc drop targets, rock standup targets, tnt drop targets could be counted as two with the plunger target, left orbit, right orbit, jukebox, I suppose axe rollovers, Bell which technically could be counted as 2 with the ball lock in the back.
    Lower level: left orbit, right orbit, standups.
    So by that count its 16 shots or 14 if the two extra don't count

I can see the drops counting as shots but not the Axe rollovers & Jukebox as they are products of other shots.

#46 11 years ago

I fully agree that the mini-pf in ACDC is NOT FUN in the slightest. I also avoided it when I played an LE on location a couple months ago.

Otherwise, the game is sick. Generic fan layout or not, it's one of my favorite pins to play.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I fully agree that the mini-pf in ACDC is NOT FUN in the slightest. I also avoided it when I played an LE on location a couple months ago.
    Otherwise, the game is sick. Generic fan layout or not, it's one of my favorite pins to play.

Thats pretty much the general opinion on it until you figure out the scoring opportunities of it. Just wait until they get the code to have both working at once.

#48 11 years ago

Hmm, I'll admit that I didn't like the lower PF at first (before I owned the machine), but it really has grown on me, and I think it kicks ass for what it is. Now that I can control the ball better and hit the shots pretty consistently, it's a lot of fun! And like Smassa said, you can get some great scoring opportunities down there, so it's all good!

#49 11 years ago

Haters should not be allowed in Club AC/DC .. You know who you are and I really know who you are, most of you busted my balls for bragging about how badass AC/DC is !

I could go on and on about this game and the rules but I wont. I think you should spend 6k+ and figure it out yourselves !!

Jim

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

The mini pf is just too hard. I stink at making loops, plain and simple.

I fixed that for you. Don't worry; common mistake.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-code-better-than-design and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.