Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by high123bid
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

My ac/dc cannon today would randomly lock in its initial place and not move. After the 15 second timer it would shoot to clear the ball hitting the lip of the ramp and sending the ball flying over the plastics back to the playfield.

That would happen once every 10 games and stay there for an unknown reason. Now it's permanently there. Won't move with the tests either.

Stern is sending me a new motor. Anyone else have the issue?

#2 11 years ago

Yes and it is a easy fix as I have noted a few times on this site . If you are not good with your hands , just put a new motor in it .

Jim

#3 11 years ago

Mine was locking in the open position on occasion. The teflon arm underneath was binding on one of the pivot collars. You could see the binding happening with the playfield up and cannon on test mode, so I loosened the set screw on the collar and slid the collar down a bit so there would be more play. So far so good.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Yes and it is a easy fix as I have noted a few times on this site . If you are not good with your hands , just put a new motor in it .
    Jim

Jim can you point me at the thread? I don't mind getting dirty

#6 11 years ago

Happened on my premium but not my pro. I think it's the bushings. I tapped on the motor with screw driver and it fixed it. Has not happened since. Stern sent me a motor 2 says after i called, but haven't installed it. There is really tiny Allen head screw that is a bitch to get off.

Also tighten screws to the 2 position sensors/switches. My shaker tends to loosen things.

Let us no how it goes.

#7 11 years ago

Jim. I'm going to try to sand my bushings tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

My ac/dc cannon today would randomly lock in its initial place and not move. After the 15 second timer it would shoot to clear the ball hitting the lip of the ramp and sending the ball flying over the plastics back to the playfield.

That would happen once every 10 games and stay there for an unknown reason. Now it's permanently there. Won't move with the tests either.

Stern is sending me a new motor. Anyone else have the issue?

I just emailed Stern about this same issue as it has started happening to mine. The canon just sits there and times out seemingly at random. Happened about 6 times in 2 hours of playing.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgposter:

I just emailed Stern about this same issue as it has started happening to mine. The canon just sits there and times out seemingly at random. Happened about 6 times in 2 hours of playing.

Seems to be happening to a lot of us. Wonder if there's a better motor we can get.

#10 11 years ago

I had some binding happen, but realized it was my fault. I installed clear fender washers to replace the metal ones and when I re-secured the right ramp it was a teeny bit too close and the cannon housing was rubbing it. Might check to see that the ramp did not slip over or down.

#11 11 years ago

Has been happening to me as well. Replaced motor once, now have 2nd motor and waiting to install.

Will try the tips in this thread first.

And, as Av8 mentioned, that little allen head cscrew is a bitch to get off.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mojosan:

Has been happening to me as well. Replaced motor once, now have 2nd motor and waiting to install.
    Will try the tips in this thread first.
    And, as Av8 mentioned, that little allen head cscrew is a bitch to get off.

I stripped that Allen screw right away. They have thread locker on it . I wound up drilling it out and using a 1/4 inch Allen screw instead from an old Bally flipper pawl.

#13 11 years ago

Mine is cross threaded from the factory.. i couldn't get it out. The inside of the screw stripped out trying to get it out.. i'm not drilling it.. i want stern to send me a brand new cannon bracket as well as a motor.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Mine is cross threaded from the factory.. i couldn't get it out. The inside of the screw stripped out trying to get it out.. i'm not drilling it.. i want stern to send me a brand new cannon bracket as well as a motor.

Trust me if mine f*&%$ up again, I'll be asking for a new assembly. Here I just saw the obvious fix, and I couldn't hold back my inner handyman. Plus it was Friday night and a weekend without this game in working order was not an option!

I doubt yours was cross threaded, because mine was exactly the same difficulty trying to remove it before I stripped the inside as well. They use thread locker on these screws and they are too small and delicate to apply much force to with an allen key, so somethings gotta give.

#15 11 years ago

That sucks. I told them I need a new assembly. I'm not drilling a brand new machine under warranty under any circumstances. What I will do with the old one if they don't ask for it back is drill it and keep it as a spare.

#16 11 years ago

you know, I wonder if there is an easier fix, my friend had some cannon issues.
    It turned out to be the cannon opto sensor, its under the playfield, it was working but got mis-aligned. You have to unscew the opto and and move it to a different position. There are a few preset positions already drilled into the playfield that you can re-adjust it to.

You might want to check into that.

I find it hard to believe they are having this many defective motors, so soon. but maybe so???

good luck, and post back
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#17 11 years ago

I also have figured out yet another, I believe a better Bell drain fix. Its simple and fixes a vast majority of the ball drains. I will post pics, etc... later this week.

Scott
    Detroit Pinball

#19 11 years ago

Yes please Scott. Mine is a drain monster . And I suck to boot so any additional assistance is welcomed.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from detroit_pinball:

you know, I wonder if there is an easier fix, my friend had some cannon issues.
    It turned out to be the cannon opto sensor, its under the playfield, it was working but got mis-aligned. You have to unscew the opto and and move it to a different position. There are a few preset positions already drilled into the playfield that you can re-adjust it to.
    You might want to check into that.
    I find it hard to believe they are having this many defective motors, so soon. but maybe so???
    good luck, and post back
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

Pat at Stern got back to me today about my canon issue and said he is sending me a new motor.

#21 11 years ago

I believe I've been talking with Chaz? Nice guy. Seems to know the pin well.

#22 11 years ago

Gee I hope Stern have a good supply of spare Canon motors.

Peter

#23 11 years ago

My concern is after a year and the warranty runs out.

#24 11 years ago

Is it easier to just swap the bushing from new motor to old? I don't want to strip the Allen screw.

I don't have a bell drain issue with my premium. Just lean the machine slightly left. If u put a big rubber post on there it blocks the shot. Which is already tight.

#25 11 years ago

I was told to heat the screw with a soldering iron for four minutes. This melts lock tight.

It's possible to remove entire lower assembly after removing cannon. This gives you easy or access to the Allen screw.

#26 11 years ago

They are sending me a brand new cannon assembly with the motor. I'll replace it then ill worry about heating or drilling that screw

#27 11 years ago

If you pull the brush holder and sand the brushes the motor will work just fine .

Jim

#28 11 years ago

Jim,

I have a new one on the way. I'll do that with the one i just pulled off the machine and test it. If i don't screw it up ill do it to the new one

#29 11 years ago

The method that Jim suggested worked for ours. Pretty easy fix overall. Less than 5 minutes.

2 months later
    #30 11 years ago

Okay, I'm having some trouble too, can someone explain me:

- how to align the opto / switches of the canon
    - how to open the motor so I can sand the brushes
    - any other tips?

Thanks

2 weeks later
    #31 11 years ago

Any updates to this?

I just got my new motor and am having problems b/c of the lock tight. How did you guys end up getting the old motor out and new one in?

I did try to sand the brushings down initially. Didn't work for me.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Any updates to this?
    I just got my new motor and am having problems b/c of the lock tight. How did you guys end up getting the old motor out and new one in?
    I did try to sand the brushings down initially. Didn't work for me.

My motor is bad too.

I used sandpaper on the brushes and it fixed it temporarily, but now it isn't working again. I'm going to try it again, but I'm going to call Stern Monday to ask for a new motor.

#33 11 years ago

I'm not sure at all that it is the motor, something tells me it's all about mis-alignment!

The half moon shaped part of the motor assembly just nearly goes through the opto, and it seems that sometimes it is blocked by it and stops moving.

I wish Stern released some info on this!

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from knapejor:

I'm not sure at all that it is the motor

It is the motor ! The armature and brushes are contaminated and won't let the brushes make electrical contact with the armature . Rob cleaned the armature with some alcohol and his cannon is now working again .

Jim

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

It is the motor ! The armature and brushes are contaminated and won't let the brushes make electrical contact with the armature . Rob cleaned the armature with some alcohol and his cannon is now working again .
    Jim

That is correct. Hopefully for good this time.

Every second this pin is down it kills me!

#36 11 years ago

Well, the times it is down on my machine, I see it is stuck against the opto, once I adjust it a bit, it's all ok. that's why I had this thought.

I am a bit clueless here, Rob please keep me updated if the alcohol fixed the cannon problem on your pin.

#37 11 years ago

My cannon works fine. But it always fires directly at the corner of the second t and the ramp. l lose probably one out of every five of these shots immediately after it hits that corner, and goes out of control.
    During multiballs, if I get another ball down the right ramp it loads in the cannon too. Then I have two or more balls in the cannon and have to wait for it to try to fire, get stuck, then reset and drop the balls. I essentially spend multiballs trying to avoid shooting the right ramp.
    Im still researching and trying to find out if this is supposed to happen. But it sure takes some of the fun out of things.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

My cannon works fine. But it always fires directly at the corner of the second t and the ramp. l lose probably one out of every five of these shots immediately after it hits that corner, and goes out of control.
    During multiballs, if I get another ball down the right ramp it loads in the cannon too. Then I have two or more balls in the cannon and have to wait for it to try to fire, get stuck, then reset and drop the balls. I essentially spend multiballs trying to avoid shooting the right ramp.
    Im still researching and trying to find out if this is supposed to happen. But it sure takes some of the fun out of things.

Your talking about 2 different issues? EVERY time? I guess its Opto alignment issue. Tighten screw on opto. Go to cannon motor test. Read back through his thread. PM if your stuck.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Your talking about 2 different issues? EVERY time? I guess its Opto alignment issue. Tighten screw on opto. Go to cannon motor test. Read back through his thread. PM if your stuck.

Yes. It's two different issues.
    When the cannon autofires, it fires at the same spot every time.
    I will read through the threads, check some things, and see what I can figure out.
    Thanks for the help.

#40 11 years ago

Ive Used Jim's method a few time with great success. In Jim we Trust!

#41 11 years ago

Just as the cannon is autofiring, I give my machine a slight push upwards to help cushion the blow to the drop targets.
    So far so good. Not losing a lot of balls to the auto fire.

6 months later
    #42 11 years ago

SOS. My AC/DC Pro just started to give the following error message Cannon Eject Device malfunction. When starting the machine, the cannon will deploy and then go in and out a dozen times (sometimes it is a quarter inch away from totally returning to the ramp.) Eventually, it stops trying adne reads out the error message. The ball detection microswitch checks out ok. The solenoid will repeatedly try to fire as the empty cannon deploys. any thoughts, please? Regards, Bo

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-cannon-trouble-sigh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.