Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DirtyDeeds
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ACDC Cannon Cam_0383.jpg

#1 5 years ago

My cannon is starting to act up. It does not swing smoothly anymore and makes a squeaking sound at times. It also occasionally gets stuck and does not return to the home position.

So, 1st question - anybody else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

2nd question - I have a bunch of brass shavings in the cabinet below the cannon. I suspect these are coming from the cannon but what part of it specifically?

3rd question - how do you remove the cannon? I loosened the set screw on the shaft and the cannon moves back and forth but won't lift out of the support. It sort of looks like there is a clip on the shaft, but I cannot see how to remove it.

And suggestions on servicing this thing?

Thanks,
RacerRik

#2 5 years ago

My cannon used to get stuck now and then. At first I thought it was the motor, but it turned out to be the harness binding below the playfield.

#3 5 years ago

I think that is part of the problem on mine. The harness is rubbing on the slingshot rubber - in fact the inside edge of the rubber is somewhat shredded from the harness. But there is another problem since it is squeaking like a metal bushing running dry. I want to take the whole thing out and figure out what is going on. And maybe see what is wearing out with all those brass metal shavings...

#4 5 years ago

I think gweem meant the linkage under the playfield binding. Have a look at it. Mine was doing the same.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I think gweem meant the linkage under the playfield binding. Have a look at it. Mine was doing the same.

In my case, it was indeed the wire harness that was getting stuck. There is a lot of play in it when the cannon swings back and forth. I believe a zip tie was getting caught on the bottom of the playfield as the harness moved up and down. I rearranged the wires, and it has been fine ever since. Mine never made a squeaking sound, though, so this could very well be a different problem.

#6 5 years ago

Fixed it! The cam that moves through the opto was rubbing harshly on the screws that hold the limit switch. Looks like it has been rubbing a long time - there are deep gouges in the cam. Not sure how it came to be rubbing. My guess is that the cam was set too low from the factory and then as the bushing / washers wore a bit, the cannon dropped down slightly and allowed it to rub. It has been squeaking for quite a while but it never seemed to affect the smoothness of the cannon or cause it to hang up until just the past couple days. It runs smooth and quiet now.

It was kind of a PIA to get the cannon mechanism out of there and even more of a pain to get it back in and aligned.

#7 5 years ago

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Having a broken AC/DC is something NO one should EVER have to go through. Rock on brotha.

#8 5 years ago

I was about to suggest the switch screws....I had all sorts of height issues (balls hitting the bottom of the canon). I would get it just right but the cam would rub on the switch screw. I ended up filing the screw down a bit to give me the adjustment I needed. It is not 100% but it is much better.

Good to hear you got it sorted.

#9 5 years ago

Glad you figured it out, Racer!

#10 5 years ago

This is what it did to the cam. Those groves are about 1/32" deep so it has been scraping a long time! If you own an ACDC you might want to check inside the cabinet for metal shavings. Mine were all over the coin box. If you have the metal shavings. you better dig into the cannon mech and see if yours is rubbing.ACDC Cannon Cam_0383.jpg

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

Yep, nasty.

#12 5 years ago

My techy bloke is taking a long time to repair my cannon. For the last two weeks Ive played it with no cannon. Very fast and still fun but thanks for the reminder to ring him and ask when it will be brought back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside