IMG_2448.JPG
cannon3.JPG
cannon2.JPG
cannon1.JPG
2013-03-05_00-02-15_447.jpg
photoa.JPG
ACDC_Cannon_1.jpeg
ACDC_Cannon_2.jpeg
There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 11 years ago

Great instructional How-To vid OP!

Only thing I won't be doing is masking off the entire game/spraying flat black indoors (because of other games nearby).

Suppose I could wheel it out to the garage and give it a full bio-hazard suit...who knows, it may come to that...but thinking I'll take a stab first at separating/removing the assembly.

Wonder how difficult that'll be?

Guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the fantastic mod idea!

#102 11 years ago

If getting it black is important, why not just mask it off an use a brush instead of spray.
such a small bracket should be very easy to paint quickly without much fuss, and most of it is covered anyway. If you ever put the original cannon plastic back on, God forbid, it will cover it up anyway.

#103 11 years ago

Why not leave it polished?

#104 11 years ago

I plan on making a black plastic cover for the assembly to hide the coil and plunger and all of the area that got painted...

#105 11 years ago

Hello

usually ,i first introduce myself if am new in a forum , but i actually has to thank matt for this great idea.
Just ordered 2 , now only my ACDC has to arrive .

Andreas

#106 11 years ago

I ordered 2. Great mod!
-Ed

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

If getting it black is important, why not just mask it off an use a brush instead of spray.

Brush strokes could end up being visible; black is the worst color for showing flaws.

Quoted from shootar:

Why not leave it polished?

Might do that, but I like OP's idea of making it blend in with the black cannon; blacking something out in flat kind of makes it "disappear" by de-emphasizing it. Subjective call in the end though.

Quoted from John_I:

I plan on making a black plastic cover for the assembly to hide the coil and plunger and all of the area that got painted...

I was thinking the same thing; might be able to leave the assembly stock by hiding it with a cover & covering the coil at the same time.

Ideas on material?

#108 11 years ago

Black decal sticker...and about 5 mins...

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I was thinking the same thing; might be able to leave the assembly stock by hiding it with a cover & covering the coil at the same time.

Ideas on material?

Thin black ABS plastic like used on the Glare Guards. I have a plastic bender. Once I make one and get it just right, I could possibly get a bunch more cut by laser and bend them...

#110 11 years ago

Orange Hemi has ordered a few and will be contributing ideas as well as making up some prototype flashers for this. Again...nice find Matt!

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thin black ABS plastic like used on the Glare Guards. I have a plastic bender. Once I make one and get it just right, I could possibly get a bunch more cut by laser and bend them...

That would be sweet: no seams.

I was thinking some kind of little plastic box that you paint, but good luck trying to find that size.

I'd be in, LMK how it works out; thanks.

#112 11 years ago

Orange Hemi - Hope you use a orange LED inside the cannon and have it tied into the fire button. That would be killer. Ordered a couple cannons - maybe a swop out service once you get it perfected?

Great find and idea Matt.

#113 11 years ago

I do have orange LEDs now in stock and I will prototype them along with the other colors once I get the cannons. Hopefully I can make this add on easy to install like my other mods that I build, then I will not have to do a swap out service for everyone. I will see where to tie the LEDs onto the machine to get the best effect out of this new cannon.

More to come....

#114 11 years ago

Awesome. This just keeps getting better and better.

#115 11 years ago

Killer!

#116 11 years ago

Has anyone received and fitted their cannons yet? If yes pictures please!

#117 11 years ago

Ordered two. Can't wait to put it in my Premium. Thanks Matt.

#118 11 years ago

Not yet. Figured it would take awhile for those of us who ordered from China.
Maybe some of the early EBay people have gotten theirs

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Has anyone received and fitted their cannons yet? If yes pictures please!

plus the chinese holiday

#120 11 years ago

cant wait...

#121 11 years ago

a guy on Aussie Pinball did one with a cover over the coil bracket
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9965.0

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Can't see the pictures? I guess you have to be logged in?

#123 11 years ago

Received my cannon from Great Britton on Saturday. Pretty quick shipping for sure. I will not install it until I see what Orange Hemi has up his sleeve for the mod.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Can't see the pictures? I guess you have to be logged in?

Me either

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

No pics = no good. I'm not interested in joining an Aussie forum, but if anyone else is a member and could snag some pics to share...that would be great.

#126 11 years ago

Didn't realize on the pics, I will cut and pasteafew tonight.

#127 11 years ago

here are a few photos from AP Forum, I do prefer how Matt here did the cannon frame, but this one has a nice simply cover over the bracket (the cover was just a ink jet print and then laminated) that finishes it off.

2013-02-12_11.39.49.jpg_thumb.png2013-02-12_11.39.49.jpg_thumb.png 2013-02-12_16.22.39.jpg_thumb.png2013-02-12_16.22.39.jpg_thumb.png 2013-02-12_16.24.09.jpg_thumb.png2013-02-12_16.24.09.jpg_thumb.png

#128 11 years ago

I like the OPs cannon mod better .

#129 11 years ago

Not an AC/DC fan and therefore not a pin owner, but what a great mod. The cannon design was definitely the weakest feature. Nicely done.

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here are a few photos from AP Forum, I do prefer how Matt here did the cannon frame, but this one has a nice simply cover over the bracket (the cover was just a ink jet print and then laminated) that finishes it off.

I like the cover, but the text on it is a bad idea. Black or black and flames would be good, but who would put text that is half covered? Free Play (or should I say "Play")...there...really?

Thanks for the pics.

#131 11 years ago

Definitely a good idea to cover the switch with... something. A laminated card isn't a bad idea, and it looks okay. I'm sure a more creative solution is down the road...

#132 11 years ago

swinks, I'm flattered you used my original cards, here's one without text for you to try.

swinks_cannon.jpgswinks_cannon.jpg

#133 11 years ago

i just purchased a case of them. JK
(got my one)

hummmmm this could be the biggest credit card scam ever... we all go there and buy this little dumb ass Chinese made cannon for $7.49 and then wake up only to find out that we (overnight) bought 5 apple Mac's each. HA ..... maybe not HA???

#134 11 years ago

just watched the video... nice.. GREAT WORK!!!! looks like even the clumsiest of us could handle this one!... watch MY cannon not work after i follow every step! HA

Not trying to be a dick or anything but noticed the inside upper part of his cab (the black area) was all scuffed up at the lead edge near the glass? jeeeez how many times has Matt had the playfield up??!!! Makes me wonder what other tricks he has up his sleeve?

#135 11 years ago

Got mine. Ordered 2 and here's the first attempt. Made a shroud...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#136 11 years ago

That looks great.

#137 11 years ago

Zdoor...Looks like a very good first attempt .. . I am still waiting for mine to arrive so I can add some light/flasher effects to it. I will post my work here when I have it ready.

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Made a shroud...

Looks great. A much better alternative to spray painting.

Where did you get the material for the shroud? How does it adhere? Do you have a link?

#139 11 years ago

I made the shroud. Took a little time to layout a template but wasn't hard after tweaking it a bit. I used a thick craft paper and once I had the size and shape I re-cut everything and used contact paper (similar to a thin mylar) to add strength. It is adhered through the same mounting holes as the factory cover.

It would not be hard to fashion a plastic shroud out of thin ABS plastic no that I have a template. But, I do not have a plastic bender. Not sure you'd benefit much anyways...

Didn't do anything on the rear section and hadn't really decided if I was going to cover that area.

#140 11 years ago

Zdoor

Did you get yours of eBay or the Chinese version pandawii? Ordered mine 2 weeks ago fr china and not a single word of pandawii ...

#141 11 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago fr china and not a single word of pandawii ...

Me too....Mine still says processing.

#142 11 years ago

I have not received or heard anything from Pandawill either.
Zdoor, does your cannon wheel magically move, like the original posters did?

#143 11 years ago

Nice work guys! I kinda think the black wrinkle painted cover looks fine. We will probably see lots of creative solutions from members on this one.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I have not received or heard anything from Pandawill either.
Zdoor, does your cannon wheel magically move, like the original posters did?

Yes it moves a little from the vibration.

#145 11 years ago

Just finished mine. I spray painted the visible silver metal and covered the coil with painters tape. I also moved Hemi's Cannon Flasher Mod to the underside of the plastic cannon so the flashes are now coming from inside the cannon. I'm very happy with the results. Thanks to the OP for finding this cannon, I got mine from ebay in the UK.

ACDC_Cannon_2.jpegACDC_Cannon_2.jpeg ACDC_Cannon_1.jpegACDC_Cannon_1.jpeg

#146 11 years ago

The gold screw is a nice touch.
What will keep the painters tape from sagging and getting caught in the coil eventually?

#147 11 years ago

Zdoor received his toy cannon before I did and he is prototyping some cannon lighting mod for me.... I will be doing more lighting effects to this cannon, as well as the entire machine in a up coming HUGE MOD for AC/DC. Just a note: As he said in his post... We are starting a website together and it will be ready soon with all of our mods listed on it for sale.

Also I have and can sell everyone that has my current cannon mod in their machine this orange LED as shown in his picture(s) if you want this look.... Just send me a PM.

Here is the link that he started and one of the pictures from his machine. There is lots of pictures on this thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-cannon-mod-with-prototype-flasher-awesome

photoa.JPGphotoa.JPG

#148 11 years ago

I used painters tape since I was using it taping up the machine before spray painting. I kinda like the look, but I can make a more permanent solution if or when it sags.

1 week later
#149 11 years ago

The link doesn't work any more. Anyone else selling them or are they all gone now?

#150 11 years ago

My pandawill order is showing as "shipped". Now it's time to see how long the slow plane from China takes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-cannon-mod-1/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.