• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a712f4c17c3051ad36799ee1017f02a3.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hey--

Just unboxed my AC/DC premium, everything looks great. Fired up a game, loaded the cannon and....it fired basically right after it started turning, hitting the TNT targets every time, no chance for me to even press the button. Loaded it again and again, same issue. Fire button works in test, switches 61 and 62 work in test, cannon motor moves like it should. It this a misaligned opto for switch 61 and 62? Very frustrating to have that broken out of the box, basically just as bad as a non turning cannon. Hopefully someone else had this issue and it's an easy fix. I did notice that when in test and it goes to position #62 if I wiggle the cannon back and forth I can get it to register and unregister opto #62, which may be part of it. Thanks

#2 11 years ago

May or may not be an issue, but check the microswitch on the side of the cannon itself.

The lugs on the switch can bend and make contact. Which would fire the cannon.

Worth a look.

Dave.

#3 11 years ago

Is it possible the game is loading the cannon when it shouldn't be loaded? If the right ramp cannon diverter was stuck down this would happen. Does the games skull voice say to fire the cannonade is the right cannon flasher lit?

#4 11 years ago

Played a fresh out of box Premium yesterday with the same issue.
Cannon auto fired down the left spinner lane almost everytime.

VERY FRUSTRATING

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Played a fresh out of box Premium yesterday with the same issue.
Cannon auto fired down the left spinner lane almost everytime.
VERY FRUSTRATING

Yeah, it is. To answer markmon's question, he does say to fire the cannon and then tells me I suck when it autofires the cannon for me, to add insult to injury, lol. The software is 1.52 so it's not a new software bug or anything.

When I go through the test, switch #61 never lights up incorrectly. The only thing that seems to make sense on this is that #62 is getting hit briefly then unhit and then relit again causing the cannon to fire. That's my theory anyways. It's solid all the way through 99% of it's movement, it's only the initial 1% where it first hits the switch that I would call suspect possibly.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Yeah, it is. To answer markmon's question, he does say to fire the cannon and then tells me I suck when it autofires the cannon for me, to add insult to injury, lol. The software is 1.52 so it's not a new software bug or anything.
When I go through the test, switch #61 never lights up incorrectly. The only thing that seems to make sense on this is that #62 is getting hit briefly then unhit and then relit again causing the cannon to fire. That's my theory anyways. It's solid all the way through 99% of it's movement, it's only the initial 1% where it first hits the switch that I would call suspect possibly.

I guess you could call stern. The support staff is there right now.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I guess you could call stern. The support staff is there right now.

Tried calling, couldn't get through after 15 minutes and it directed me automatically to voicemail. Sent an email to Patrick, hopefully I can get some explanation on the issue. I think I might know of a work around after thinking about it, I think if I tape switch #62 permanently closed it will allow me to fire and not autofire the cannon at all. That would at least allow me to play the game for now until we can figure out a solution, not being able to play a brand new game is killer, lol. Just a theory though, we'll see what happens.

#8 11 years ago

Must have been at lunch. They have always picked up very fast when I have called.

#9 11 years ago

Spoke to them over the phone and email, they don't have ideas. So I'm going to try some stuff tonight to try and fix it or at least narrow down the issue.

#10 11 years ago

Report back your findings on the SW 62 test. Also how fast is your cannon moving? Is it really slow? Perhaps SW times out before the cannon gets to the TNT targets.

#11 11 years ago

Cannon moves pretty fast. Wrapping switch #62 in electrical tape so it's always on made my cannon work. So it's like I thought, some hair trigger on switch #62 is causing it to autofire. Honestly, it needs a software fix more than a hardware fix...there's enough 'wiggle' in my cannon I think that it triggers 92, then briefly untriggers it, then retriggers it but it's too late, the cannon fires on the first untrigger. There needs to be some debounce logic to prevent that scenario.

#12 11 years ago

Tighten the screws on prox switch. I also had this problem after I tried to remove Canon mounting bracket to replace motor. You may have to loosen the mount screws and adjusts the bracket so it's closer to the switch.

There was another thread on common cannon issues which was very helpful. Stern has had great tech support with all my new pins.

Here's a pic of bracket.

a712f4c17c3051ad36799ee1017f02a3.jpga712f4c17c3051ad36799ee1017f02a3.jpg

3 months later
#13 11 years ago

I just got AC/DC Premium last night and am having the same issue. Is there an update on how to correct this?

#14 11 years ago

Same Here my Canon is randomly Autofiring as well I just got the game today.

#15 11 years ago

Just to add more details to my earlier post.
The canon only loads when it is supposed to load. How do I know this? Well the yellow light on the playfield signifying the canon mode is lit and I just started noticing that the red light above and to the right of the canon is also lit when it loads. After the canon loads the fire switch is always lit up, The DMD gives instructions on what to shoot at , Steve Richie (SR) also chimes in to fire the canon.
Then the canon swings out to about the switch 62 position and automatically fires. About the same time SR is shouting fire or Come On x 4. After the canon autofires, it finishes its path out and back to the starting position. Once it has returned SR screams "Next time use the fire button stupid!" or "You Lose(might be "snooze" it is hard to tell) You Lose."

My understanding of how the canon is supposed to work is that the canon will swing out and back for you to fire the ball. If you do not fire the ball it will swing out again and autofire the ball at which time it tells you to use the fire button next time.

Based on the symptoms displayed by my machine I believe that for some reason it is skipping the first swing out and back. Something is making the machine think it has already made the first out and back pass so it is going right to the second swing autofire mode.

I have spoken with the CS at Stern and while they have said they will work with me on this the person I spoke to didn't have any ideas on how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.
JtL

#16 11 years ago

Had the same problem, replaced the cannon opto, works perfect now.

#17 11 years ago

Thanks Sk8ball,
Stern is sending out a new Opto so hopefully that will solve my problem as well.

2 weeks later
#18 11 years ago

I'm having the same problem with the cannon. What's an opto switch?

#19 11 years ago

Mine did this. I just had to restart the game to get it working fine again. <shrugs>

#20 11 years ago

Called JJ at game exchange he walked me through cleaning opto switch and I haven't had anymore problems.

#21 11 years ago

So did you get the issue resolved? Seems to be common issue so hoping you're back in business Taylor.

2 months later
#22 11 years ago

A solution can be to loose the screws of the opto pcb push it in the direction of the interruptor and fix it again. It seems that the timer for interrupt the opto times out, so it will help to decrease the way to the opto.

Hope this will help.

2 weeks later
#23 11 years ago

SOS. My AC/DC Pro just started to give the following error message Cannon Eject Device malfunction. When starting the machine, the cannon will deploy and then go in and out a dozen times (sometimes it is a quarter inch away from totally returning to the ramp.) Eventually, it stops trying and reads out the error message. The ball detection microswitch checks out ok. The solenoid will repeatedly try to fire the ball as the empty cannon deploys. Any thoughts, please? Regards, Bo

1 week later
#24 11 years ago

Any updates on a fix? My new game played correctly a few times, now it autofires every time. And damn, Steve Ritchie keeps calling me stupid!

#25 11 years ago

Fixed. The opto pcb was loose, tightened the screws and it works every time. Thanks to Av8 for suggesting this.

#26 11 years ago

second this for anyone else that runs into it. My opto was dirty. Cleaned it and re-installed and all works now.

6 years later
#27 4 years ago

Updating a very old thread. Friend has this issue. I played with opto a bit. It activates perfectly every time but it then fires the ball after 1 second and Steve Ritchie yells and says to use the fire button. Not sure about cleaning opto. The metal travel arm runs through the opto path right away and seems to be functioning correctly. But ball fires as soon as cannon moves and sw activates

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

And damn, Steve Ritchie keeps calling me stupid!

How does that make you feel when Steve says that?
You do have an option on the machine menu to adjust the "insult level" or something like that...
Perhaps if you get your feelings hurt when that happens a lot, you can make the machine less insulting.
Personally, I like mine on "heavy"...
I think it's funny...

#29 4 years ago

Ironically, my machine still has this issue 7 years later. I taped off one opto and that made it work fine. I've thought about trying to fix it correctly someday but I think I might be missing a tiny spacer.

#30 4 years ago

Oh and I should mention that Stern was supposed to send me stuff but never did. So I did try that route but nothing ever showed up, and by the time I was going to call them back, I had figured out the workaround.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Oh and I should mention that Stern was supposed to send me stuff but never did. So I did try that route but nothing ever showed up, and by the time I was going to call them back, I had figured out the workaround.

Thx. On the small opto board are there 2 spacers ? One for each screw? Funny after messing with it he says it’s worked fine for 10 games. Plan B is cleaning opto with q tip then I can tape off opto like you did

#32 4 years ago

If you need a new opto card for the cannon, you can get one here...
I think this is the same one that is on the bell.
It is about $11, plus shipping.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-opto-board-with-right-angle-connector.html

8 months later
#33 3 years ago

Had the same issue with my 'Luci', removed and cleaned the cannon opto with a QTip and alcohol and now works great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (Firm)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-cannon-autofiring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.