AC/DC-blowing fuses

By TavaLee

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I haven't read anything about this in the other related topics and I think it's severe enough to start a new topic. I have an email out to Stern but I would like to maybe try something while I'm waiting. Had the machine less than 2 weeks and probably around a 100 plays. Yesterday turned on the machine and balls wouldn't load. My co-worker at first thought I stole the balls out of the machine. No.

First I tested the coils and they were all not working except flippers, cannon rotation and some of the flashers. Fuses 7 and 8 were blown. Replaced them, turned on machine and then fuses 5, 7 and 8 blew. Replaced them and watched the fuses as the machine was attempting to power up. It seems fuse 8 is the first one to blow, the red lite never lites solid on fuse 8 before it blows. The red lite on the other fuses seem to light solid before they blow.

I'm out of 3 amp fuses. It's a Premium running on the new update.

Anybody have an idea where to start troubleshooting?

#2 11 years ago

Head to RadioShack and get a bunch of 3am fuses slow blow. Then pull the solenoid output connectors from the power driver board. See if the fuses blow then. If so, board internal issue. If not, issue in wiring. Likely a short somewhere. That's a place to start. The solenoid output connectors should be labeled on the power board but if not, the premium comes with a manual. If you can report back with the results from this test we can advise how to track it down further. Please provide good details and exactly what you do etc.

#3 11 years ago

I Sent this Question to Pat Powers over at Stern. I am also going to go look at our Prem On the Floor and its manual. Back when I have some answers

#4 11 years ago

5 is Coils/Flippers 7 is Magnets or special applications, and 8 is Coils as well.

5 is 7a
7 is 4a
8 is 3a

#5 11 years ago

Hopefully I get some fuses soon if I can get a volunteer from work to go to Radio Shack. I emailed Patrick at Stern too, last night. Thank you both. I'll update.

#6 11 years ago

Did you check the "HIIIIIIGH VOOOOOLTAAAGE"?

LOL, sorry I couldnt resist. Thats from DDDDC right?

Anyway best of luck, wish I had more knowledge

#7 11 years ago

Replaced blown fuse. I disconnected J9=high current solenoids=blow Fuse 8.

Disconnected J8=high current solenoid=blow fuse 8.

Disconnected J10 "voltage outputs" and NO BLOW fuse. Seems the J10 causing problem. Its the power line connection per manual. J9 and J8 are called the D.T.(drive transistor?) Control Line connect.

#8 11 years ago

Sounds like Pat Emailed you back Direct for what he tells me.

#9 11 years ago

Yes, Patrick and I are working on it. Thanks. I'll update.

#10 11 years ago

Good you got the Guy who know's Stern's better then any body. Please let me know If I can be of any help

#11 11 years ago

Patrick's been helpful in the past. Trouble shooting by email takes a lot of patience(not my best quality). Im guessing there's a short somewhere(no s..t Dick Tracy) but I have no idea how you would track it down. We will figure it out. Throw gas on it and see where the fire starts. I manually moved the coils to see if there was one bound up and they seemed fine. It makes a humming sound on power up and Fuse 8 quickly blows. I have found that my first impressions on these issues are, many times, not correct. I'm guessing maybe a faulty ground. See previous sentence.

#12 11 years ago

Sounds like you're in good hands, but did want to add that if you hear a humming sound when powered on, that could be a coil constantly being energized. Lift the playfield, then turn on the game and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from.

While testing you can buy a properly rated circuit breaker and solder it across an old fuse. Saves a lot of money.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks. I tried to locate the source of the hum but I only had about 3 secs to fuse blow and it's a little unsettling to test that way. Couldn't point out that source of the hum. I like the idea of the circuit breaker. Thank goodness fuses are not expensive.

#14 11 years ago

Unplug the Magnet under the Bell.. Just a thought.. I wanna see if thats it

#15 11 years ago

I disconnected the plug with the 2 black wires coming out of that magnet. No luck-still blew fuse on power up.

#16 11 years ago

You're getting the AC/DC voltages mixed up.

#17 11 years ago

Maybe I got the DC/AC.

1 year later
#18 10 years ago

I am having issues with Fuse F5 blowing constantly! I played around with various coils disconnected etc, and have discovered that the fuse blows when J11 (48VAC) is connected. Can anyone offer a possible solution to this? I think that feeds a bridge rectifier but which one and how to solve the issue i don't know!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
16,500 (Firm)
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-blowing-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.