Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM01644.jpg
CAM01645.jpg
CAM01648.jpg
CAM01649.jpg
CAM01650.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I picked up a 3ft. length section of toy train track, HO size/style to be exact. I had an HO train set as a child so that is how I came up with the idea. This stuff is pretty flexible...relatively easy to cut also. It fits perfect inside the plastic return lanes. I used a glue gun by placing small dabs under it and pressing into place. It can be removed by gently prying with a plastic knife or plastic putty blade. I think a hair dryer could be used to soften the glue and then pell off too, no uarantee though. I filed down the burrs from where I cut the brass rails to length but I think the hardended steel pinball would have a tough time being knicked by what appears to be brass...I wanted to be safe! The left side needed a slight 'z' axis bend (I gently used my knee and pulled the track against it) this is because there is a slight dip or hill after the diverter.

It really came out great and works flawless. One thing to note is I had to stop short before the ball diverters on both left and right sides. To go further upward meant having to raise (with washers) the height of the diverter so the ball had enough clearance beneath. I wanted to keep the diverter height stock. I know there are other train track mods but I think they mount above and the ball travels under them. My mod the ball is always visible. Also, my mod only costs about 5 bucks!!! Took about 15 minutes for each piece.

I will take a video if anyone requests in case they wish to see how smooth the ball rolls. I can take better pics with the glass removed and closer if anyone requests it. Also, this is only 2 days old for me. I do not guarantee anything as far as not damaging your machine, balls, plastics, etc. Please study, test and improve if needed before modding this way. I did 1 of my 2 Luci's. I p!an on doing the other one next week.

CAM01650.jpgCAM01650.jpg

CAM01649.jpgCAM01649.jpg

CAM01648.jpgCAM01648.jpg

CAM01645.jpgCAM01645.jpg

CAM01644.jpgCAM01644.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Cool idea. May want to spray a few coats of clear on the track first to keep metal dust down?

#3 8 years ago

I will have to look into that. I watched tGe bal in slow motion and believe it or not it has not touched the rail yet. I think I am safe since aI only went with straight sections. Had I tried to splice the angle when it gets close to tge drop through hole, I bet ball to metal would have ocurred there. At tbe top, where the ball first enters, I made sure no burrs existed. I guess I could put a small dot of glue gun, silicone caulk, tape, rubber, etc. at the rail edge to guarantee no metal to metal contact. You know that liquid electrical tape stuff in a can? A drop of that would be easy to apply. For now I am monitoring the ball travel and condition over 10, 50, 100 games to determine if any protective measures are needed for long term. My gut instinct tells me it will be ok. Heck pinballs drop on to raw edge carbon steel ball troughs all the time. I know some games, like JD, it can be a issue but in general it is not. I think these rails are soft brass and there really is not much of an impact or side load at all. Time will tell! Thanks for the cc idea!!!

4 weeks later
#4 8 years ago

Bumpimg my own thread because there seems to be folks interested in modding acdc, I mean more than usual lately. For $5 I really enjoyed doing this mod. It has held up great, looks great and gets plenty of conversation from my pin buds when they're over. If you have an acdc pin and a five dollar bill burning a hole in your pocket, give this mod a try!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

16,500 (Firm)
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-5-mod-ho-train-track-diy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.