(Topic ID: 108161)

Accidentally switched connectors on Williams System 9 - how bad is it?

By PinballTilt

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

w9note.JPG
w9.JPG
Capture.PNG
35nksf.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballTilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

35nksf.jpg35nksf.jpg

I've committed a cardinal sin, I messed up. There, the elephant is out of the room. In a rush to get the playfield back into my Williams Comet and play a game, I hooked up the black playfield connector to the white backbox connector, and same with the white playfield connector to the black backbox. They are unfortunately the same size and keyed the same way, but the colors should have tipped me off.

I was able to get some good pointers from this thread -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-wont-boot-error-code-7-williams-system-9

But the suggestions were pretty general on what I likely broke. The symptoms now of the game are a 'system failure', or 7, on the MPU. Looking at the schematics, I can't figure out what to start replacing. I would appreciate any pointers anyone could offer that has maybe gone through this themselves or for a customer. I have some experience replacing PIA's and would like to give it a try myself first. Here is a link to the schematic -

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/space_shuttle_williams_1984.pdf

Thanks in advance!

#2 9 years ago

bump, anyone have any suggestions?

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I have some PM's in to those who may be interested in repairing it, but keep the suggestions coming.

A little more information. After hooking them up wrong and turning it on, the right flipper locked on. I quickly turned it off (maybe 3 seconds). I reseated all the connectors and checked the flipper switch before trying again. Same issue, another 3 seconds before shutting it off. I fixed the connectors at that point after kicking myself along with checking all of the fuses, none of which were blown.

5 years later
#18 3 years ago

OP here. Way back when this happened I eventually sent my boards off to be repaired. I sent my mpu and sound boards to Jerry at game room service. He quoted me one to two hours of labor plus parts. It wasn't to expensive at that time. Figured I would comment here so that people don't have to email me. It worked perfectly after receiving the boards back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballTilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/accidentally-switched-connectors-on-williams-system-9-how-bad-is-it?tu=PinballTilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.