Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jahbarron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

So I just left the Start Bar in downtown St. Louis, where I was refused the opportunity to play pinball because of my friend’s trained (and vested) cardiac service dog. They explained that “this is the owner’s policy at all of their venues.”

This is not only obviously non-inclusive, but also a direct violation of federal law. My friend, who is an attorney, calmly shared the law, and the even gave the manager a card with the statute on it. The manager offered for us to stay outside on the porch. I explained that pinball machines don’t drag easily. The manager reinforced that we were not welcome inside. We left.

Pinball is becoming more inclusive every day, with increased focus on inclusivity and representation with regard to race, gender, disability, etc. As a community, we must not allow our public venues to practice exclusive behavior.

Please talk to your favorite venue, and find out if they make reasonable, legal accommodations for disability. If they don’t, please encourage them to review their responsibilities as per the Americans with Disabilities Act. And if they refuse after being informed and continue to practice prejudice, please refuse to patronize them and let them know why.

Our quarters, dollars and drink orders are how we tell businesses whether they are doing things right. I hope you will use yours to make sure pinball is accessible.

Thanks,
    Justin

#2 3 years ago

Unfortunately people who do not need a service animal but want to bring their pet in to a venue make up the overwhelming majority of persons trying to bring in service animals.

This arrogance and selfishness unfairly brings a level of skepticism from venue operators and makes life unnecessarily more difficult for those in need of a service animal in a public space.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Unfortunately people who do not need a service animal but want to bring their pet in to a venue make up the overwhelming majority of persons trying to bring in service animals.
    This arrogance and selfishness unfairly brings a level of skepticism from venue operators and makes life unnecessarily more difficult for those in need of a service animal in a public space.

THIS ^

If one person gets bit the owner is where the lawsuit is going, legit service dog or a fake one wearing a sweater.
    I do not know if each state has it's own verification paperwork or it's national, but I'm sure it's as abused as handicap parking permits are.

That being said, I was like "WTF is a dog gonna do if it's owner has a heart attack, give CPR?", and a quick google search gave the pretty amazing answer...

"Cardiac alert dogs are service dogs that have the innate ability to warn of impending drops in blood pressure (typically seen in individuals with cardiac syncope conditions) which often cause loss of consciousness. Advance warning allows the individual to take essential medication, lie down, rest, and elevate their legs if needed."

So if your friend is an attorney I would expect him to follow up with law enforcement, as I'm guessing the is a fine to be paid by the arcade, or a real big apology.

#4 3 years ago

Yes, the jackasses who had to bring a peacock on a flight or take their miniature horse to the baseball game ruined the chances of those with legit service DOGS to be welcome without scrutiny.

Lots of people on this planet suck.

#5 3 years ago

I have no problem with a service dog in my business.

If I don't know the person or dog, I will ask for documentation that it is indeed a service dog. I've only had one so far. I've had a few trying to bring their non service dog in wearing the service dog vest.

LTG : )

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

It is illegal to ask for documentation.

I didn't know that. Thank you.

I can do two checks :

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

#9 3 years ago

My in-laws have a service dog, and in all the travels we've done together all over the US we've never been turned away anywhere even when "no pets allowed" signs were displayed. The key is that the animal must meet 2 criteria: 1) be individually trained for disability work, and 2) perform tasks that are directly related to the person's disability.

By ADA law, a true service animal must be allowed access to all public access in the business. However, if the animal is misbehaving the business owner does have the right to ask for the animal to be removed.

Here's a concise article that explains in more detail: https://pawsforpurplehearts.org/wearing-a-service-dog-vest-isnt-an-all-access-pass

#10 3 years ago

I apologize for your friends treatment in my city and state. I will make sure that the Start Bar knows that I will never set foot in their place and I will also let my friends know what happened there.

I've lived in St. Louis all of my life. I will no longer try to defend this area. Every day it's something new and disgraceful. Most everything you read in the papers or hear on the news about this city, state and many of it's elected officials is the truth.

I will most likely catch some heat for saying all of this but I do not care an longer. It's hurtful and embarrassing to live here.

I encourage everyone to read this book. This shit has been going on for centuries here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I have no problem with a service dog in my business.
    If I don't know the person or dog, I will ask for documentation that it is indeed a service dog. I've only had one so far. I've had a few trying to bring their non service dog in wearing the service dog vest.

You do not have the right to ask for verification sad to say.

#12 3 years ago

You do not have the right to ask for verification sad to say.

I didn't know that. See post 6 and 7

#13 3 years ago

I’ve been out of work for what feels like a decade and totally forgot about this kind of drama. I cannot wait to get back to work and normalcy and walking the tightrope of the law and threats of litigation.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/accessibility-in-public-venues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.