1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CadillacMusic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3741 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I'd like to take quarters in my games and also take some type of token that I hand out to venue people. That way I can allow free games but limit their amount.

Anyone done something like this?

Thank you

#2 1 year ago

As a promotional idea, it sounds interesting. But there are some problems with the execution.

You would have to set the pricing settings for the game(s) (you may have some trouble doing this on some games), and add a token mech to one slot.

The problem with having one quarter slot and one token slot is that most people don't read, and would be sticking quarters and tokens in the wrong slots. So, jams would happen much more often, and would block the games from earning.

Do you have payrange on your games? If that has a coupon code option, maybe hand out something for that?

#3 1 year ago

I would actually go a different route, if using on a newer game.
    I'd get a 26xx, 27xx, or 28xx Mars bill validator, and use their 'coupon' feature. Depending on how much you want to personalize, you can have your own coupons made, even, though that may be along the more expensive route and unwanted.
    Anyways, that way, you're not giving out anything that costs real money (like a token, the coupon is just a piece of paper that can't be spent anywhere else), you don't have to later spend hours separating these tokens from quarters or other coins (con: would have to be separated from bills read in), and like tokens can be re-used once collected.

However, if you were going to use tokens, you could use the tokens on any game who's price is 1 coin = 1 credit (no pricing changes!), but like mentioned, anything other than that would depend on game programming/setup.

#4 1 year ago

I like the coupon approach.

I see lots of stuff about MEI bill acceptors, is this the same as Mars?

Are these things "plug & play"? I have a new Chi Medieval Madness I'd like to put a bill acceptor in.

Thanks

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I like the coupon approach.
    I see lots of stuff about MEI bill acceptors, is this the same as Mars?
    Are these things "plug & play"? I have a new Chi Medieval Madness I'd like to put a bill acceptor in.
    Thanks

'MEI' is Mars Enterprises Inc - same company, yeah. (Originally was just Mars, now it's owned by Crane Payment)

I don't know about the MMr, honestly. It would/is in an original MM, but I'm not familiar enough with the remake.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Yes, if you get a 12 volt one and small stacker. 200 or 300. Bigger won't fit. Not that I didn't try.

LTG : )

#7 1 year ago

I know on my Williams you can use a different "plate" that won't allow a token to pass. One quarter and one token plates may work.

IMG_3741 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago

Have them mark some quarters, or mark them yourself, and return them when you collect.
    Just like red or yellow painted quarters. That's the old school way.

#9 1 year ago

Woah, why spend the money on a bill validator when you can just use a 950-984 coin unit? Takes tokens and quarters. It's what we use.

#10 1 year ago

Now THAT seems like a good idea. Anything you add to the machine should have a payback, except things like shaker motors, they are just for fun.

What unit do you recommend and where can you get the tokens?

BTW I'm working on a radio interface that will allow you to skip all of this, have to stop playing pinball and get that done ( - :

#11 1 year ago

Imonex V9 series is what we use, but they sell ones with lockout solenoids and such. 950 means it takes quarters, and 984 is the diameter (.984 ), in this case, of the tokens used. I'm not sure where you would get smaller amounts of tokens. We get 'em in the 1000s, but they're custom minted. I think your best bet is to just call imonex and talk to them about what you need, and see if they have a recommended place that sells generic tokens in lower quantity.

A radio interface? That's unique. How will that work?

#12 1 year ago

I also use the 950/984 coin mechs which allows the game to take quarters (950) and a 984 sized token. At one location the games take quarters but for birthday parties we use the tokens.

#13 1 year ago

The problem we've had with the v9s is that from time to time, we'll get customers that have figured it out and can then order stock 984 tokens on ebay and other sites for much less than .25 each. And of course the tokens are worthless to me as an operator. We only use the .950 and accept quarters. I've considered the coupon route but the coupons themselves are not cheap either and there's no way to be sure that they even get used so I'm out the cost of buying the coupon with no marketing benefit. Given these issues, we've not incorporated any 'free play' promotions yet (other than obviously handing out .50 or a buck to customers already in the arcade).

#14 1 year ago

We never had a problem with people buying tokens off Ebay. Even with the local university having the same token with a different image for free play, I'd say maybe a dozen of the tokens from the university ended up in the arcade, in the 5 figures we've collected from there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 219.00
    $ 88.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 21.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 269.99
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside