Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 5 years ago

I was looking at all the nominated movies. The only one I have seen is Bohemian Rhapsody. I don’t remember a single year where I had not seen almost all the movies that have been nominated. I guess Cinema is going down the drain. I don’t think it’s me. I still really enjoy watching movies. Very strange!
It probably is multi factorial.
To me, it seems to me there are no new rising stars whether it’s at the director level or the actor level. Kind of sad in my mind!
Also, from all the movies nominated, I did not see one that I really want to watch, at least as a initial impression.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

I was looking at all the nominated movies. The only one I have seen is Bohemian Rhapsody. I don’t remember a single year where I had not seen almost all the movies that have been nominated. I guess Cinema is going down the drain. I don’t think it’s me. I still really enjoy watching movies. Very strange!
It probably is multi factorial.
To me, it seems to be so if you rising stars whether it’s at the director level or the actor level. Kind of sad in my mind!
Also, from all the movies nominated, I did not see one that I really want to watch, at least as a initial impression.

I watched over 80 2018 movies last year... and yet only 2 are nominated this year. You're not alone. I think cinema is totally fine, it's just awards shows keep choosing things that don't necessarily deserve nominations

#3 5 years ago

Agreed.

Free Solo and Isle of Dogs were really good though. Hope they win.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from rave24:

I watched over 80 2018 movies last year... and yet only 2 are nominated this year. You're not alone. I think cinema is totally fine, it's just awards shows keep choosing things that don't necessarily deserve nominations

You are so right. Just looked it up. Spielberg got 2 awards only for best director, Schindler and Private Ryan. And it looks like NONE of his movies got best movie award!
I watched Private Ryan a couple times and Schindler once, both great movies. But the first Indy movie, Jaws???? It is a disconnect between us the public and them.

#5 5 years ago

Rami Malek, the actor in Rhapsody is a heavy weight, in my mind. I think he will be around for a while, very versatile. I watched Papillon with him in it. I thought it was hard to beat Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman from the original movie but they pulled it off IMHO. Try it if you have not seen it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

You are so right. Just looked it up. Spielberg got 2 awards only for best director, Schindler and Private Ryan. And it looks like NONE of his movies got best movie award!
I watched Private Ryan a couple times and Schindler once, both great movies. But the first Indy movie, Jaws???? It is a disconnect between us the public and them.

And while we're at it, we need a Blade Runner machine! God I love Blade Runner. But yeah, a lot of big directors have a shocking lack of awards, or have awards for films that aren't their best. Now, granted, sometimes a great film just beats them out - but others are clear snubs. Then for the 2015 Oscar's they didn't even put LEGO Movie as a best picture contender despite making a ton and getting positive reviews by all age groups, critics, fans, etc and it was insanely original, with an original soundtrack! Awards don't like animation in general. I'm sure that'll change this year due to Spiderverse's reception. But other than that, there's people voting who flat out said they don't even watch the nominated animated films or chose the one their kid liked most.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from rave24:

Holy chimichangas Batman! 80 movies! I am impressed.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Holy chimichangas Batman! 80 movies! I am impressed.

Despite the high amount, I much preferred 2017 which I saw 40 some movies from. Blade Runner 2049, IT, GOTG 2, Thor Ragnarok, Star Wars 8, Wonder Woman, Gintama, Kong, Batman vs Two-Face. Lot of great stuff. Though last year had Aquaman, Paddington 2... I've been happy with film the last few years. Shin Godzilla in 2016 topped the cake

#10 5 years ago

Thank you.
Ok, useless piece of trivia to you. Did you know Spielberg was inspired by the Belgian Comic book Tintin for his Indiana Jones character? He just changed the hero form being a journalist to an archaeologist. I think that is why he made an homage to Herge, the creator of Tintin, by making his Tintin movie. I think he knew it would not be a money maker but he did not care. Same thing with AI, it was his respect to Kubrick.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Thank you.
Ok, useless piece of trivia to you. Did you know Spielberg was inspired by the Belgian Comic book Tintin for his Indiana Jones character? He just changed the hero form being a journalist to an archaeologist. I think that is why he made an homage to Herge, the creator of Tintin, by making his Tintin movie. I think he knew it would not be a money maker but he did not care. Same thing with AI, it was his respect to Kubrick.

So I've heard. And Raiders does borrow some scenes from Zorro and some other stuff. Zorro! Another thing i'm a big fan of. Raiders is easily in my top 5 films ever. Last Crusade is a liiiitle bit behind it for me. A.I. is a crazy interesting movie... a lot of people think it's mostly Spielberg but Kubrick actually worked a lot on it. Didn't turn out the best but it isn't bad by any stretch

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from rave24:

So I've heard. And Raiders does borrow some scenes from Zorro and some other stuff. Zorro! Another thing i'm a big fan of. Raiders is easily in my top 5 films ever. Last Crusade is a liiiitle bit behind it for me. A.I. is a crazy interesting movie... a lot of people think it's mostly Spielberg but Kubrick actually worked a lot on it. Didn't turn out the best but it isn't bad by any stretch

AI to me is 2 separate movies in one. Part one the dark Kubrick movie then part 2 the feel good Spielberg movie. I pull out the box of Kleenex in the Spielberg part only. He knows well how to play emotions. I think Robert Zemechis (Back to the Future that he directed but Spielberg helped produce) was inspired by him when he made Forrest Gump. Gump seems like a movie Spielberg would have made.

#13 5 years ago

I liked Green Book (my favorite), Bohemian Rhapsody, BlacKKKlansman, Black Panther, and A Star is Born the most... all were worthy. Saw Roma and it was ok, but not sure what all the fuss is about - plus you had to read the movie - if I want to read I'd pick up a book. Vice I didn't love and I usually like historical stuff. Didn't see the Favourite.

Hopefully Warren Beatty reads the best picture again, he did a great job that one year - lol

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

AI to me is 2 separate movies in one. Part one the dark Kubrick movie then part 2 the feel good Spielberg movie. I pull out the box of Kleenex in the Spielberg part only. He knows well how to play emotions. I think Robert Zemechis (Back to the Future that he directed but Spielberg helped produce) was inspired by him when he made Forrest Gump. Gump seems like a movie Spielberg would have made.

Forrest Gump (A film i've never been a huge fan of but will give credit to) had some serious competition that year. Pulp Fiction, Shawshank redemption (my favorite movie of all time, moves me to huge tears) Lion King, True Lies, The Crow, Clerks. Forrest Gump ended up with 6 awards despite allll those movies. That's why i don't trust the Academy honestly xD

#15 5 years ago

1994, we knew ye well

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Thank you.

Trivia -Why is the airline pliot named Jock and the snake Reggie?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/academy-awards-2019 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.