75%
  • AC/DC pro vault 22 votes
    25%

(88 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG

#1 4 years ago

Which is better playing machine - ignore the art (Metallica way better) and ignore the music (personal choice as to which is better) - which one plays better (shots and rules) in a home collection AC/DC or Metallica.

#2 4 years ago

You should ask the northeast for sale thread. Seems they have some pretty hard opinions.

#3 4 years ago

can't lose with either. own both... I like ac/dc better, by a tad.

#4 4 years ago

I’ve owned both. Gameplay is totally subjective as they both have great flow.

The interesting thing about both games is that they don’t have any tough shots, unlike IMDN (a mix of easy and difficult shots). Code is what can make an easy shot difficult when you have to make it.

I think ACDC has the upper hand with risk/reward, but Met has more ‘stuff’ to shoot (Sparky, drops, snake).

#5 4 years ago

Def edge goes to AC/DC Premium for cool factor.

#6 4 years ago

This one's a layup..Metallica all the way.

Met is more challenging, deeper, better band, pro version is not a dramatic decrease like AC/DC is, far more shots, and you do not have that ridiculous blind spot on the right side return and outlanes.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

ridiculous blind spot on the right side return and outlanes.

That alone stopped me from purchasing an AC/DC Premium.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

can't lose with either. own both... I like ac/dc better, by a tad.

I own both too (Premiums not Pros though), and I'm the opposite as I like Metallica better by a tad, but they're both great.

#9 4 years ago

Flow - tie
Shots - Metallica by a slight bit
Music -tie
Code - Metallica - deeper
Light show - tie
Toys/features - Metallica - this because the lower play field is chopping wood and the cannon sends the ball out of control near the flippers.

Metallica for the win here.

#10 4 years ago

Wow looks like metallic Is pulling away

#11 4 years ago

Got to be a reason Metallica was the first title that remained on the Stern production line for 6 years plus, with no breaks.

I am fairly positive that is a record, and not by a close margin.

#12 4 years ago

Bith games are amazing and you win regardless of which one you pick. I would say go with ever which band that you like the best and dont look back.

#13 4 years ago

Music integration with the modes was way better in AC/DC. Missed opportunity for Metallica . I do like Metallica in a tournament though, as AC/DC feels like it has a lot more luck involved as far as getting control of the ball after that cannon shot.

#14 4 years ago

Owned both... AC/DC premium is still in my collection.

#15 4 years ago

I've owned both premiums.....Met is still here, although AC/DC is by far my favorite band...the lower play field on AC/DC just didn't do it for me. I found myself avoiding it like the plague.

#17 4 years ago

Own both - AC/DC better tunes and integration but for pure fun Met all day long

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I’ve owned both. Gameplay is totally subjective as they both have great flow.
The interesting thing about both games is that they don’t have any tough shots, unlike IMDN (a mix of easy and difficult shots). Code is what can make an easy shot difficult when you have to make it.
I think ACDC has the upper hand with risk/reward, but Met has more ‘stuff’ to shoot (Sparky, drops, snake).

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. I'm not saying Maiden is easy, but the shots in Maiden are pretty damn forgiving when comparing them to AC/DC and MET. You can always throw balls at the Pharaoh target for easy return to the flipper.

Between MET and AC/DC, AC/DC has more dangerous shots. While the ramps are forgiving, the Lightning Bolt targets are death. The cannon is unpredictable and so is the Bell. MET's easier to go deeper on, because you can play it your own way until CIU modes, too.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. I'm not saying Maiden is easy, but the shots in Maiden are pretty damn forgiving when comparing them to AC/DC and MET. You can always throw balls at the Pharaoh target for easy return to the flipper.
Between MET and AC/DC, AC/DC has more dangerous shots. While the ramps are forgiving, the Lightning Bolt targets are death. The cannon is unpredictable and so is the Bell. MET's easier to go deeper on, because you can play it your own way until CIU modes, too.

Man, I can backhand ramps all day on ACDC. The bell can go SDTM, but the drops are relatively safe. All of those shots are easy to make.

The ramps on IMDN are super challenging. Same with the left spinner to light Revive. The Pharaoh and upper spinner are easy when you need a breather.

My point is that code can make otherwise easy ACDC shots challenging, i.e. cashing in a huge jackpot. IMDN has some inherently difficult shots.

Or maybe I just suck.

3 weeks later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bith games are amazing and you win regardless of which one you pick. I would say go with ever which band that you like the best and dont look back.

This is the best answer. Both games are great, so musical preference should be the tie breaker.

#21 4 years ago

AC/DC sucks donkey balls

#22 4 years ago

I've never been able to decide which one. I own both. I play Metallica far more do that's probably my choice overall. I prefer mode based games and wizard modes in games. Acdc to me is more about scoring and calculation, where Metallica is more about modes. Metallica wins in looks, and toys IMO, and it's my style of code. Acdc is my favorite band along with gnr, so the music carries that game for me. If it was a different theme and same style code, I probably would have sold acdc by now, but as is the game is adrenaline pumping. Just depends on your preference of gameplay style and music preference.

Edit- I played both again last night and without a doubt if I could only have one, I'd choose Metallica. Pure adrenaline and amazing modes. Acdc is great, but Metallica edges it out for me.

#23 4 years ago

I've played both extensively for many years and this is how I would rate them based on FUN. The gameplay is very different in both (one is scoring based, one is mode based). I like the difference that ACDC offers.

Met PRO > ACDC PRO
ACDC premium > MET premium

I also like ACDC music way more that metallica, but I'd still pick MET over ACDC for the PRO.

#24 4 years ago

I own MET pro and AC/DC Premium. Love both games .

I have a slight problem with the rock and roll pins as I have 5 of them in my collection.

If I had to choose I don’t know if I could.

#25 4 years ago

Because this is a Pro vs. Pro poll, IMHO the clear winner is MET Pro. Both have good shots and rules.

I think MET Pro gets the edge because it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice from the Premium, whereas ACDC Pro loses the full swinging bell w/ magnet, the lower PF, the detonator, crossover ramp w/ diverter, the drops, the drops again, the drops a third time, dancing stick band, flame tunnel, 3D train, and powdercoat. A lot of little toy and feature things, but it's at every aspect of the PF, where MET Pro makes far fewer concessions, but both are fun Lyman games.

I 100% agree with this...

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Met PRO > ACDC PRO
ACDC premium > MET premium

#26 4 years ago

I feel like this is a case where the Top-100 is pretty spot on. If you looking at the Premium, it's pretty close. I'd agree with the poll and give the slight edge to Metallica, but this is likely just be the difference in art. In that category Metallica is far superior. As far as the Pros go, Metallica is the clear winner in every way.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-vs-metallica-play-only?hl=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.