AC/DC Luci VE cracked lower playfield insert.

(Topic ID: 226764)

AC/DC Luci VE cracked lower playfield insert.

By Rum-Z

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by DNO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2018-10-06 22.26.16 (resized).jpg
20181006_200006 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Hello all, I was in the process of removing wax residue from my AC/DC Luci VE playfield tonight, and in doing so I discovered that the left "eye" insert on my lower playfield had cracked over the last day or two (it wasn't like that when I put the wax on Thursday). I've had this game for about 6 months, and have about 1,000 plays on it. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I haven't removed the lower playfield window yet, but judging by reflections, it appears the clear is still smooth and intact over the top of the insert. At least for now.

I wonder if Stern has a supply of lower playfields with the Luci art? I guess I'll find out on Monday. Maybe I'll also make a lexan protector for the lower playfield if I put a new one in. Bummer.

2018-10-06 22.26.16 (resized).jpg20181006_200006 (resized).jpg
#2 5 months ago

Unless the clear is cracked too, which it doesn't appear to be then I would not worry about that. It seems like it would be hardly visisble anyhow?

Rob

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Unless the clear is cracked too, which it doesn't appear to be then I would not worry about that. It seems like it would be hardly visisble anyhow?
Rob

I dunno....when that insert lights up....I bet its visible, but prolly wouldnt notice during regular game play. I would be calling Stern.....see what can be done.

#4 5 months ago

Unfortunately, the fracture reflects light from my gameroom's overhead lighting when the game is off, making it pretty noticeable from the player's perspective. That's actually how I saw it. It also shows up pretty good when lit. I was just wondering if any other AC/DC premium/LE owners also had this happen? That insert is very close to that stand-up, and I suspect that the ball ricocheted downward off the target (maybe after striking the plastic above) and caused this stress fracture. So I was just trying to gage whether this has been an issue with anyone else, or just me. I have terrible luck with everything, LOL... so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just me.

I would like to get a replacement lower playfield in case this gets worse and effects the clearcoat above and eventually gameplay. I hope Stern made some extra lower playfields with the Luci specific art. I'll inquire with them tomorrow and find out. This game is now 6 months old, and although HUO, I have around 1,000 games on it, so as much as I'm trying to keep it nice, I do love playing the snot out of it.

#5 5 months ago

My Luci VE has the same cracked insert.

#6 5 months ago

Thanks for the feedback Taygeta. I was just thinking that a possible and easy/good looking solution if this lower playfield insert cracking issue proves to be ever wide-spreading as time goes on, would be a set of 3 insert cover decals that have a continuation of the flames/smoke graphics on them. That way you could still see the light through them, but they'd cover insert damage.

#7 5 months ago

It's a tiny playfield and would be an easy swap. I would contact Stern and see if they could send a new one...

#8 5 months ago

inserts can be cracked when the cad cutout is too tight for the actual insert and puts stress on the insert when being inserted. I've seen it on tons of playfields, not just these. Happens all the time. Just most of the time it happens over inserts that have printing on them so you don't notice as much. I call them stress cracks. They are harmless and part of the playfield manufacturing process. Just things you have to deal with in pinball. Like dimples.

#9 5 months ago

If you happen to get a new PF, I would be interested in buying the one w the cracked insert, please lmk.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 10.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside