IMG_20180531_0008298 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180421_2239268 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180421_2239359 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180618_1143438 (resized).jpg
DSC_0017 (resized).JPG
20180711_131500 (resized).jpg
DSC_0017 (resized).JPG
DSC_0012 (resized).JPG

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys. I noticed this little gem today while playing on my AC/DC Luci. How the heck did I do this? I bought the machine straight from the factory, and as you can see, I only have 1063 plays. Any ideas how I did this? Any ideas how to fix this? Any ideas if Stern will help me out with a new lower playfield? I emailed them over the weekend but I am not sure how long the normal turn around time for correspondence is.

DSC_0012 (resized).JPGDSC_0012 (resized).JPGDSC_0017 (resized).JPGDSC_0017 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Geez. That blows.

#3 5 years ago

That sucks. Contact Chas and hopefully Stern will send you a new lower playfield. I noticed a track forming on my lower playfield from the ball being shot out in the same line repeatedly, so I added some mylar there, but that area was directly over the graphics of the blonde woman. The spot you're apparently missing paint from to the lower left of the right playfield post is an odd spot for paint to just pop off. I wonder if there was some contaminant on the wood when that area was painted that prevented the paint from adhering properly?

Added over 6 years ago:

Edit: I misunderstood your original post thinking that this was a Luci VE, and not an original run Luci.

#4 5 years ago

I do believe Chas helped me out setting up the machine. Something wonky happened and one of the pinballs got lodged up were up in the backglass area connectors. I forgot all about him. He was definitely very helpful and gave me over the phone help. Ill go ahead and email him directly and hope a nice fast resolution is made in this instance as well.

#5 5 years ago

Email your distributor also. They should be able to help.

#6 5 years ago

Chas responded within an hour and will be forwarding my enclosed pictures to their quality group. Thanks again guys. Now I guess it is just a waiting game to see how it all turns out.

#7 5 years ago

Chas is the man - excellent service from him.

#8 5 years ago

Stern is saying no. Its over the 90 day warranty. Is this something I can attempt to clear back on? Or am I going to be held ransom for a new lower playfield every 1000 plays?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

Stern is saying no. Its over the 90 day warranty. Is this something I can attempt to clear back on? Or am I going to be held ransom for a new lower playfield every 1000 plays?

That's BS. They should just send you a new lower playfield and assembly and have you ship the old one back once swapped out. The game is still brand new and should not have major playfield issues.

#10 5 years ago

Pffft.... who specifically said no? They said no through email?

Wait is this a VE or 2013 Luci?

#11 5 years ago

This is original Luci not the vault edition. I'll refrain from listing the distributor for now. Maybe someone will do the right thing.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

That's BS. They should just send you a new lower playfield and assembly and have you ship the old one back once swapped out. The game is still brand new and should not have major playfield issues.

If the game is 5 years old I don't think it's BS.

Yeah it sucks but you can't seriously expect a distributor OR manufacturer to "stand behind" a five -year old game at this point.

At this point the OP needs to be thinking about repair or replacement, or doing nothing. If it were me I'd probably do nothing (maybe put some mylar down to arrest any further damage). Sometimes five-year old games show wear, it ain't the end of the world. I have an HUO Iron Man and the ramps have some cracks...I'm not shaking anybody down for a new set of ramps or threatening to out distributors.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the game is 5 years old I don't think it's BS.
Yeah it sucks but you can't expect a distributor OR manufacturer to "stand behind" a five -year old game at this point.

True, I just assumed it was a VE with that few plays. But the panel around the dmd does appear to be an original.

If it's an original run then I wouldn't expect much from stern. Realign the art piece and mylar over it is probably your best bet.

#14 5 years ago

5 years? Yeah man, that definitely exceeds any reasonable time frame for a goodwill warranty extension. Slap a piece of mylar down and it'll play fine.

#15 5 years ago

Feel fortunate it is not a 5 year old SPIKE game, versus SAM. It could be worse than cosmetics. I am not referring specifically to costs, but availability.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Feel fortunate it is not a 5 year old SPIKE game, versus SAM. It could be worse than cosmetics.

That's right, stern makes disposable games now

#17 5 years ago

Stern makes disposable games today, similar to redemption titles.
Compare this to say a 2013 Merit Megatouch RX, and the difference is remarkable.

Contact your local distributor in person for more detailed information, and ask for the price of truth. Watch their eyes and hesitation in response.

Anyone than expects free parts for a 5 year old game needs to be realistic. It makes no difference on # plays. Distributors laugh at these requests. Manufacturers politely decline, if still in business.

My background is based on informed an opinion and discussions, just like when I set up, prep and burn in new games for my company. Here are two IM Premiums going out the the door tomorrow. There are not that many companies out there that buy a half dozen or more of everything Stern makes, unless a distributor themselves. I have seen every Stern change easily since before Luci days, which started most heavily in 2012, even before advent of SPIKE.
20180711_131500 (resized).jpg20180711_131500 (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

They do.
Contact your local distributor for more detailed information, and ask for the price of truth.

The Price of Truth

sounds like a 50s courtroom drama.

#19 5 years ago

Regardless of time elapsed, I don't see how that can not be seen as a defective part.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Regardless of time elapsed, I don't see how that can not be seen as a defective part.

Agreed. Also shouldn't Williams help me out on my Addams Family? The Thing Hand STILL is causing me a whole lot of trouble, and a new hand motor costs almost 400 bucks.

#21 5 years ago

I'd cut a square of mylar & stick the chip back on then buy a lower PF to sandbag for later.

5 years is a long time

#22 5 years ago

Just purchase a lower playfield and swap part. How could it be 150/200 bucks. Easy as pie, but if you can’t live with it like that” and I couldn’t either “ Just replace

#23 5 years ago

I emailed Stern directly. At this point, I would be willing to buy a new playfield from Stern as long as this problem does not happen again. Ive got 20+ year old Williams machines that have less noticeable damage than this.

#24 5 years ago

At least it a fairly easy fix. Not an entire PF swap. To me that’s the big one. You be good then

#25 5 years ago

Have you ever replaced the pinball in the lower playfield? Sterns stock pinballs are rusty garbage, maybe an old, crusty pinball wore it down?

Who knows. When I owned AC/DC I swapped out that pinball.

BTW, that worn area looks like a pretty good candidate for a paint touch up. On the lower playfield, I’ll bet no one would ever notice, including you after awhile.

#26 5 years ago

I guess Ill just have to go slow when pulling this lower playfield out and try to keep that paint chip on the flasher safe till it can get repaired/replaced.

DSC_0017 (resized).JPGDSC_0017 (resized).JPG
#27 5 years ago

They refuse to send me replacement playfield so I sent the game back before the chipping happened.. Picture attached. Looks like they clear coated and hung it.. Horrible either way

IMG_20180618_1143438 (resized).jpgIMG_20180618_1143438 (resized).jpg
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

They refuse to send me replacement playfield so I sent the game back before the chipping happened.. Picture attached. Looks like they clear coated and hung it.. Horrible either way

Wow ... literally looks like a tangerine.

That has to be a VE?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

I emailed Stern directly. At this point, I would be willing to buy a new playfield from Stern as long as this problem does not happen again. Ive got 20+ year old Williams machines that have less noticeable damage than this.

Chances are very slim. You were just very unlucky to have that happen on this one. Comparing it to a 20+ Williams is tough as that 20+ year old Williams is a survivor or one of the better quality games. Think of all the versions of that same game that are worn or have issues. It's all about numbers.

If you can find one, the Helen decal that Pro users use looks pretty good on the mini PF but being a Luci I can understand that may be part of the charm of the game. By a replacement, wax it and install it and you should be good to go.

#30 5 years ago

Remember when Metallica playfields were shedding paint like a snakeskin about 4 years ago? Stern actually replaced a few of those, but they were newly shipped games. Looks like this LPF is from the same crap batch. No reason paint should separate from wood in that spot other than bad prep before silkscreening.

Hopefully the other Lucy games aren't timebombs waiting to shed their skin...

#31 5 years ago

Some reasons that William's clear is better has to do with chemicals currently used and government regulations to protect the environment etc.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Some reasons that William's clear is better has to do with chemicals currently used and government regulations to protect the environment etc.

People say that, but never back it up.

Automotive clearcoats (and just about every other kind of clear) have advanced massively in the last 2 decades.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Wow ... literally looks like a tangerine.
That has to be a VE?

It's a vault.. Check out the cut out gouges too.. Stern told me to send the game back and have a nice day. Whatever, gonna look for a mint one in the future. Heads up if anyone is looking for a luci vault, I would definitely pay a lot less for a game in this finish condition.

IMG_20180421_2239268 (resized).jpgIMG_20180421_2239268 (resized).jpgIMG_20180421_2239359 (resized).jpgIMG_20180421_2239359 (resized).jpgIMG_20180531_0008298 (resized).jpgIMG_20180531_0008298 (resized).jpgIMG_20180618_1143438 (resized).jpgIMG_20180618_1143438 (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

This is original Luci not the vault edition. I'll refrain from listing the distributor for now. Maybe someone will do the right thing.

When did you get/buy the game NIB? If it was 5 years ago then I would not expect compensation from Stern.
carefully glue the piece back on and mylar.

#35 5 years ago

!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Crazy, just got a call today from Patrick, they are willing to send me a brand new game in mint condition at cost.. Wow, only if I stop posting bad reviews on here and promise not to disclose there cost. lol.. Well I'm happy Stern is doing that! So this is a positive post. very happy, because there cost are stupid cheap!

There's no way they'll sell you one at cost and tell you it's at cost, because then people would know.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Crazy, just got a call today from Patrick, they are willing to send me a brand new game in mint condition at cost.. Wow, only if I stop posting bad reviews on here and promise not to disclose there cost. lol.. Well I'm happy Stern is doing that! So this is a positive post. very happy, because there cost are stupid cheap!

Huh?

They said no new PF for you, so you sent the game back without arranging anything with them? Now they are selling you a game at cost? What happened to the money you paid to get the pin in the first place?

#38 5 years ago

New catch, can't post at all about it.

#39 5 years ago

If they told you it's at cost, it almost certainly isn't at cost, because there's no way they'd give up their costs that easily - just to try to silence a customer who received shoddy product.

If it's above $2.5k .. chances of it actually being at cost is close to nil.

Anyway, cat's out of the bag now ...

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

New catch, can't post at all about it.

Yeah man, definitely stop talking about it haha. The takeaway here is Stern customer support is amazing, they've always done right by me. Mistakes are always gonna be made when you're cranking things out by hand at their level of volume. Glad everything worked out for you.

#41 5 years ago

Everyone has a good idea what sterns cost is per game, i just can't believe I will be paying cost. Has this happen to anyone else? Its like they picked a name out of a hat for good PR. Still think Patrick is messing with me, well..I have it in writing. lol

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Everyone has an idea what sterns cost is per game, i just can't believe I will be paying cost. Has this happen to anyone else? Its like they picked a name out of a hat for good PR. Still think Patrick is messing with me, well..I have it in writing. lol

Like I said, there's absolutely no way they're telling a consumer what their costs are.

It'd likely cost Patrick or whomever approved it their job.

#43 5 years ago

Maybe, still ten times better than retail. Sold!!!

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Maybe, still ten times better than retail. Sold!!!

Dude I want as much info as you are willing to give, but for your own good stop posting anything about it. If you really are getting one at cost and all you have to do is stop posting, then......stop posting. I’m so nervous for you that they're going to pull the deal.

2 weeks later
#45 5 years ago

Well it looks like it was to good to be true, waited for a payment request email as directed for $2862. Sent a few emails and phone messages since with no reply.. Oh well, at least I got my full refund back. Hope no one else had any of these issues.. Definitely going to affect resale value. Hopefully this one ends up being a route machine with a discounted sale price for the operator. I'll let everyone know if anything changes. Cheers!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Well it looks like it was to good to be true, waited for a payment request email as directed for $2862. Sent a few emails and phone messages since with no reply.. Oh well, at least I got my full refund back. Hope no one else had any of these issues.. Definitely going to affect resale value. Hopefully this one ends up being a route machine with a discounted sale price for the operator. I'll let everyone know if anything changes. Cheers!

This particular story seems untrue to me. Maybe I am jaded and just do not believe much of anything. This thread starting with a 5 year old original Luci machine and then this guy, was interesting for about an hour, then it just got too "out there".

#47 5 years ago

My thread has got a little off track it does seem. Figure Ill update the community. I received my machine on 6/6/14 NIB. Yes that is a long time to be past a warranty. Stern seemed more than willing to accommodate me in my particular situation. As of July 17th, 2018 (my last correspondence with Stern) they will be sending me a new lower playfield because of the damage with so minimal use.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

This particular story seems untrue to me. Maybe I am jaded and just do not believe much of anything. This thread starting with a 5 year old original Luci machine and then this guy, was interesting for about an hour, then it just got too "out there".

I was asked to give an update, no biggy..my post was in regards to my warranty issues(same as OP) of an AC/DC Luci that might help other people notice the same issues. Was to help other pinheads, and hope it does. My purchase was still refunded and solved.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Quoted from Lamberger:

I was asked to give an update, no biggy..my post was in regards to my warranty issues(same as OP) of an AC/DC Luci that might help other people notice the same issues. Was to help other pinheads, and hope it does. My purchase was still refunded and solved.

Well he did post photos of the machine in question .... and it did look absolutely appalling.

Assuming the truth was told about the offer of a deep discount (possibly at cost) for him to stop posting about how bad the original was, and then subsequent refusal to proceed, I suspect it was never in good faith and was just to get him to stop posting about it and have it blow over. Ruthless, but clever ... although there's only so many times you can use that trick.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

And how hot the cure reaction is + cure time. A lot of things have changed, and not all of them have to do with protecting the environment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-luci-damage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.