Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gorgar1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just got a BIBLE several days ago. Great game, but I'm having a fairly annoying issue with the 5 bank AC/DC standups.

I put about a dozen games on it and realized when the cannon loads, the 5-bank doesn't pop up to allow a shot at the lightning bolt center drop target, for example. Sure enough, the next time I powered it on I got a service warning about that switch.

I manually hit all drops in test mode and the (A) and Bolt drops would never show as closed. When I placed the playfield in service mode, not all the way up, they would all register fine...getting interesting.

I powered down, removed the two opto boards from the bank (there's a 3 opto board and a 2 opto board), cleaned the optos, cleaned the interrupters on the drops, put everything back together, powered on and retested.

This time I noticed if I wiggled the wires on the opto board plugs I could get one of the switches to register as not closed even though the target was dropped, interrupting the opto. I could get this to happen on either board with the other unplugged, puzzling me. On the 3 opto board it was usually the Bolt switch and on the 2 opto board it was the C switch.

I inspected the wires and how well they were seated in each plug, they look/feel fine. I did notice both plugs fit kind of loosely, particularly the 3 opto board plug.

It doesn't seem like a power/ground issue, as only 1 switch on each board is affected at a time. Both boards share the same strobe wire (green/brn). The 2 opto board is the end of line for that strobe wire, it's daisy chained from the 3 opto plug.

What should I do next? I'm stuck.

--
Jerimy

#2 9 years ago

I've had issues with the 5 bank and TNT bank as well, but simply running a cloth through the opto "groove" fixed the issue.
ACDC is notorious for little connectors coming loose after a number of plays. Maybe try to squeeze them all tight and test again?

#3 9 years ago

Taking your advice, I revisited my earlier comment about the plugs being a bit loose. I pulled them out very slightly, to the point where the receiving end on the board causes them to be very snug, but not totally seated. With this being the state, I'm unable to reproduce the switch issues.

Thanks for the tip, though I'm a bit dubious it's this simple (but still hopeful), so don't want to close the issue just yet.

What is the advice for generally creating a tighter fit with these plugs?

#4 9 years ago

Following this thread closely. I have to clean opto grooves constantly.

#5 9 years ago

I've honestly never seen a game with quite so much grease. Maybe the banks are the cause...

#6 9 years ago

Another cleaner of the opto's here I have had issues but they were easily fixed with a cleaning

#7 9 years ago

I wish my issue was to simply clean here

The good news is since I wedged the connectors in such a way as they now make solid connection to the pins on the boards, 6 games without issues.

#8 9 years ago

You'll also need to adjust the under-playfield targets from time to time.
When you do this, make sure that as you lift the playfield up, that the ball in the lower playfield rolls around to the back, not touching the targets. If you yank the targets, it can be annoying to put them back in with the ball in the way.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You'll also need to adjust the under-playfield targets from time to time.
When you do this, make sure that as you lift the playfield up, that the ball in the lower playfield rolls around to the back, not touching the targets. If you yank the targets, it can be annoying to put them back in with the ball in the way.

Wow, I'm glad you mentioned this. I would definitely not have had the foresight to do this.

Thanks!

#11 9 years ago

Interesting. I take it the one piece small splints are what's needed for the three lower pf targets?

#12 9 years ago

That's my understanding, though I'll probably grab a few extra for the standup targets beside each ramp. They don't move much, but these are cheap so why not?

#13 9 years ago

These work very well. Targets get misaligned real bad without this mod.

#14 9 years ago

Re seting the target conectors is a must on acdc especially if shaker is fitted

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Re seting the target conectors is a must on acdc especially if shaker is fitted

Are you referring to the connectors I was describing? Or another connector?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from finalboss:

Are you referring to the connectors I was describing? Or another connector?

I think the same there on the little boards on the drop target mechs under the PF

Now and again my target will be down but the insert doesn't show that so all I do is reset the little connector and all good for another 50 games.

#17 9 years ago

The white connectors with 4-6 wires each, two of them on the ac/dc 5 bank, yes? Those ones?

If so, we're talking about the same thing

Are yours pretty loose in general? If you touch them do they move a bit on the male posts?

Mine do this. How can they be made tighter in general I wonder? Do we have to replace the plug? Maybe use a shim on the male end to make it tighter? Perhaps some solder?

Such a crazy problem for an $8.5k usd machine. Stern are cheap asses.

#18 9 years ago

Yep those some guys have said you can bend the little pins to make the fit tighter but knowing my luck I'd snap one lol or use a cable tie to secure them in place better. I agree you'd think Stern would come up with a better connector that locks in place.

#19 9 years ago

Hmmm. A small bend on some of those pins would do the trick if done properly/carefully. Thanks for the confirmation and tip

Cheers!

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for the info on the connectors. First the problems with trough switch connections ending games early and now target connections.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for the info on the connectors. First the problems with trough switch connections ending games early and now target connections.

Yeah sometimes it's the simplest things that give the most trouble lol on the walking dead Stern have modified the trough plug/connector and so far no issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
16,500 (Firm)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-5-bank-intermittent-optos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.