Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

934B57EF-552F-4903-86D9-BE3E432A4159 (resized).png
    8CBF4AC1-0775-40EB-BBB4-D379C84E6ACE.gif
    Keyboard commandos.gif
    04DA4240-C1A2-4B4B-BBD9-1B1FC11F9E4E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20201231_184528229 (resized).jpg
    05969F5A-388B-4C11-88E0-A6B7419F0ED9 (resized).jpeg
    Let the Hate Flow.png
    BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg
    toysrating (resized).png
    5168BF12-AC2F-4403-A3C1-C064798D3E78 (resized).jpeg
    E94AB8F8-EE85-49C1-A898-933DCD69AB8B (resized).png
    31BADAB9-9E73-489A-ACAD-7196BB449B23 (resized).png
    FC93CA11-0D34-4A6B-8D8A-B024454FD023 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmister.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 3 years ago

I think the top 100 needs some work. I have not looked at it in some time but everytime I do, I see flaws.

Let's take for example number 84 currently on top 100. Slugfest? Really? How can you have a novelty machine that is not even a true pinball machine on top 100? The only rating I agree with is Star Wars being rated #2-bout time people came around.

#22 3 years ago

Another major flaw is many peoples ratings are old and need to be updated. Have you ever written off a machine-only to dig deeper and find out your opinions have changed?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

. Should Star Wars be #2

Yes, Yes it should. But instead of MM being #1 that needs to be #1 STTNG!

The 'King' is worthy of not only #1 but #2 as well

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

when did Sternwars hit #2?

Let the Hate Flow.pngLet the Hate Flow.png
    #170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I want to acknowledge collectors, players, shows, museums and organizations that keep these games alive past their money making lives for the love of the game.

It would be cool if you could have your ratings coincide with different game categories. It is hard to filter through 900 ratings and mixing EM's and moderns is really apples and oranges. I really do not look at ratings or read reviews to be honest but if I look at someone's collection or ratings I can get an idea of what they like and prefer. If I want to know more about a game I usually go to international pinball database and read up on it or try and find a video on Youtube to check it out. Often times the games people hate are the games I love and the opinions are too subjective for me to consider.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

I need to update my ratings-they are old and useless. I also had the thought of trying to rate my top 100 machines-not less-not more(would have to delete as needed-moved to just comment section). What are your true top 100? Would be interesting if you had top 100 EM category and top 100 modern?

#176 3 years ago

I’d ask you to not delete the old information

Sorry did not mean delete, but meant that once a rating goes above your top 100, it gets moved to a comment section instead. You could have top 100 EM, Top 100 modern and 600 ratings under comment sections.

I would like to be able to rate my top 100 based on a number system of 1-100. It is difficult to try and list your true top 100 the way it is set up now. How can I rate STTNG #1 when the art is not a 10? You have to fudge ratings to get the position you want? I suggest 1-100 scale with a comment section for rules, art, etc.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yea, still way high, it belongs around 120 or so.

This thread cracks me up- Oh Star Wars is #2! Oh the Horror-get all the keyboard commandos to join up to go in and give it low ratings to change position. LOL

Keyboard commandos.gifKeyboard commandos.gif
    #199 3 years ago

, how would that hinder abuse?

Robin pretty much hit the nail on the head with it is subjective and if you really want to get an idea about a game try and read up on it with people's comments, etc. The top 100 is a computer generated populated list that averages ratings, does the popular vote really indicate the best machines? No-too subjective-One man's trash is another mans treasure.

There will always be abuse-no way of getting around it. Some people despise Star Wars-some people think it is the best thing since sliced bread(including myself). All over the board, and people who abuse the system to try and change a position is comical(must be really bored).

If they decide to change the rating system and use a number base(with comment section) instead I feel it will be a more true accurate representation of Pinsider's true top 100. Like I said the way it is set up now really does not work. If a games art is not great but the gameplay is amaze balls-how do you get the position on top 100 you want? You have to fudge it and then the review is inaccurate and forced. Make it 1-100 scale and provide several genre categories and then you will be able to see what games other pinsiders prefer and what their true top 100 is. What would that do? Well over time you start to see pinsiders that you relate to and you see what their favorite games are. I have about a half dozen pinsiders that have very similar taste to me and I often check out their collections and ratings for insight. I have never considered top 100 to be accurate or viable when I am considering a comparison for a new pinball purchase.

Also had an afterthought how does one rate 100 machines if they have not played 100+machines? Well they just rate how many they have actually played but have to think about how they would rate them based on list of 1-100. If someone has only played 20 titles-then they rate the 20 titles they have played and can comment on. It will not be easy trying to rate your personal top 100-it would take some deep thought and consideration. When a new title comes along and it replaces another title in the 1-100 then a game drops off list and is moved to comment section-that is if there are any comments or ratings attached.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from killerrobots:

I skipped it but that doesn't mean it was a bad pin.

Well for me JM lasted two weeks in my home, and out of all the machines I have cycled through it was the one that I had zero regrets selling and now despise. Why do I hate it so much? The glove ruins the game, and is the worst feature in all of pinball. I can still hear the super slow motor(I had to rebuild) and the slow movement of the glove mech. Ahhhhh! Hate flow killers

Come to think of it-I need to start making comments under my ratings-JM is a perfect example.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmister.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abuse-of-rating-system-?tu=pinmister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.