Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

934B57EF-552F-4903-86D9-BE3E432A4159 (resized).png
    8CBF4AC1-0775-40EB-BBB4-D379C84E6ACE.gif
    Keyboard commandos.gif
    04DA4240-C1A2-4B4B-BBD9-1B1FC11F9E4E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20201231_184528229 (resized).jpg
    05969F5A-388B-4C11-88E0-A6B7419F0ED9 (resized).jpeg
    Let the Hate Flow.png
    BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg
    toysrating (resized).png
    5168BF12-AC2F-4403-A3C1-C064798D3E78 (resized).jpeg
    E94AB8F8-EE85-49C1-A898-933DCD69AB8B (resized).png
    31BADAB9-9E73-489A-ACAD-7196BB449B23 (resized).png
    FC93CA11-0D34-4A6B-8D8A-B024454FD023 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Rating systems like this are always flawed.
    They're completely subjective and they depend on voluntary ratings, so you're only getting a small, skewed data sample.
    I remember back in the 1990s some cinema magazine did a poll and "The Shawshank Redemption" was rated #1.
    Because... it had come out a year or two earlier and it was a popular movie. You think it would still top the list today? Is it really THAT good? The BEST movie ever?
    ALSO, most of the ratings are going to be from people who only played the game a few times. Sometimes you have to play a pinball game for a while before you "get it."
    I bought an TAF for myself and a CV for my wife. That's what we both wanted. Now she camps out on the TAF and the CV is my "go to" pin.
    But when we first got them, I hated CV so much that I was literally disgusted with it, I thought it was a flat waste of money.
    She did not like the TAF because she had never seen the movie and didn't get all humor and nuance of it.
    The point is, a pin rating by someone who played a game 3 times isn't much of a rating.
    ALSO, some of the best pins are so rare that very few people really know them.
    For example, I have a Bally Atlantis that everyone LOVES. It's a just an old-school smash the ball around game, it plays with a VERY satisfying, zippy flow. A real fast-playing game. And it has great non-PC artwork from the days when the USA was a fun place. But it's a simplistic 80s pin so it's ignored in the ratings.
    Pinballs with a lot of fancy features get better ratings than pins that are fun to play.
    AND, it's pretty obvious that some people are rating their pins really high in an effort to make their collection seem more valuable. If someone gave Bally Atlantis all "10s" and says, "It's the BEST PINBALL EVER EVER EVER", is that an honest rating? Probably not.
    Moral of the story: take it all with a grain of salt, it is what it is.

Yeah, Shawshank holds up for me. sooooo.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abuse-of-rating-system-?tu=northerndude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.