Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

934B57EF-552F-4903-86D9-BE3E432A4159 (resized).png
    8CBF4AC1-0775-40EB-BBB4-D379C84E6ACE.gif
    Keyboard commandos.gif
    04DA4240-C1A2-4B4B-BBD9-1B1FC11F9E4E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20201231_184528229 (resized).jpg
    05969F5A-388B-4C11-88E0-A6B7419F0ED9 (resized).jpeg
    Let the Hate Flow.png
    BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg
    toysrating (resized).png
    5168BF12-AC2F-4403-A3C1-C064798D3E78 (resized).jpeg
    E94AB8F8-EE85-49C1-A898-933DCD69AB8B (resized).png
    31BADAB9-9E73-489A-ACAD-7196BB449B23 (resized).png
    FC93CA11-0D34-4A6B-8D8A-B024454FD023 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

You may want to not get so pantsed up and read what I said, I didn’t say throw 5 and 6 out but there is no modern pin that is a 4 or below, period.

Disagree. Some games are complete and utter dumpster fires. Shaq attack has almost no redeeming features in it whatsoever. The art is terrible. The sounds are repetitive and awful. The layout is terrible. The rules are abysmal. If told I could chose between shaq attack and no pinball for the rest of my life, I'd go without.

The Beatles is almost as bad to me. It's nails on a chalkboard. It's a recycled layout where I'd rather play the original.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

While I widely disagree on Beatles, neither of these games are a 4 or less. Pretty tough to be that bad.

Disagree, if something can be a 9-10, something has to be a 1-2 otherwise there is no point. I have games I have rated 9-10

Since this is subjective, you might not feel like shaq or beatles are that bad. Perfectly valid. You might even like them and that is fine too.

I don't. I hate them. I have owned shaq. Beatles I had to play a lot due to league. I have time on them. I hate them. For me the are terrible. They are not fun. They are not enjoyable experiences. My rating reflects that.

Both of us are valid.

How this should work is that if I have a low rating of a popular game, it should get averaged out.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Modern games I would give a 4 or less:
    Cosmic carnival
    Thunderbirds

Haven't played thunderbirds. Cosmic would be low, should rate it since I owned it. Its saving grace is the art. After that nothing else. Build quality was poor. Code non-existent. Shot layout was ok, not great, but the scoop up the middle was a terrible idea.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Of course. But a lot of the games that are dogs either didn’t see the light of day, or many haven’t played cause you never see them.
    As far as games that are regularly seen and played, it’s rare I would rate something below a 5-6

But that is you. I seek out the stuff that you rarely see. Just because they made a ton of a title, doesn't mean it was even decent.

Shaq sucks. Its ugly. It got made because gottlieb was a name at the time. Mystery Castle is an amazing game. Its one of my all time favorites, but because alvin g had a poor distributor network among other things, it barely exists.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I thought it was based on Seawitch, which everybody said was so great.

It is. It doesn't have an unnecessary spinning disc. It has art that doesn't look like someone had too much sherbert and threw up all over the pf. It's not stuck with early beatles music which I have heard to death. Seawitch is actually fun.

Remakes aren't always a bad thing. DE/Sega/Stern has a long history of stealing layouts. JP to me is better than WW. BF isn't better than STTNG but its fun. Tommy and Tron were great reuses of the FH layout. This wasn't one of them. For me its worse and I rate it as such.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from no-extra-balls:

I enjoy shaq attack. Worse than no pinball? No way

And you aren't wrong, for yourself. For me, it is one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever experienced. It's fine we don't agree.

One thing I dislike about the rating system is a game can have meh art, meh sound, and be a blast. Can be your favorite game ever, but it can rate lower than games you hate. Frankly a slider of 0-100 for an overall score would be more effective. Much easier for you to say game A is better than game B, but overall game C is far superior. Besides some of this is stupidly subjective. Do you like the art style of the time period? Do you like the theme? If not good chance you will hate the art.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from haveaniceswim:

TOM (#1 rated game on IPDB) is #769 on his list, behind Baby Pac-Man and Granny and the Gators, and I assume at least a couple of gumball machines with flippers.

For years felt Jpop games were wildly inflated on here. They have always been known for their poor code. Pretty, nice layouts, terrible code. Can dig through comments on RGP from back to when they were released. Yet they get highly rated

Now, one thing I wonder is if the old b/w games keep getting new code how long it would take for their ratings to reflect this. Mystery Castle had an updated version of the code rediscovered and it took a good 6-8 years for people to catch on.

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from SWfan:

Not even close to the same execution or impact, let alone gameplay.
    I wasn't claiming that Star Wars Premium invented the idea, but the execution and effect is on a totally different level than those two games.

Buddy has SW le. Have owned Nascar. Have had a fair bit of time on HSII.

Execution and effect is less than nascar. I really don't get your argument. Its a neat toy that has been done multiple times.

#184 3 years ago

Not top 20. Not stern top 10 even. I play a mint le on a regular basis. Its fun, not a bad game. Topper is neat but overpriced.

Would much rather play lotr, either im, either met, gb pro, ehoh, jp2 pro, etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abuse-of-rating-system-?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.