Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

934B57EF-552F-4903-86D9-BE3E432A4159 (resized).png
    8CBF4AC1-0775-40EB-BBB4-D379C84E6ACE.gif
    Keyboard commandos.gif
    04DA4240-C1A2-4B4B-BBD9-1B1FC11F9E4E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20201231_184528229 (resized).jpg
    05969F5A-388B-4C11-88E0-A6B7419F0ED9 (resized).jpeg
    Let the Hate Flow.png
    BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg
    toysrating (resized).png
    5168BF12-AC2F-4403-A3C1-C064798D3E78 (resized).jpeg
    E94AB8F8-EE85-49C1-A898-933DCD69AB8B (resized).png
    31BADAB9-9E73-489A-ACAD-7196BB449B23 (resized).png
    FC93CA11-0D34-4A6B-8D8A-B024454FD023 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Psw757.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago

I think the highest and lowest scores should be tossed when figuring the average.

Nothing is perfect and really no modern game deserves to be anything below a 5 or 6.

There just hasn’t been anything that bad.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I've rated a ton of games and wish I never had. I think the whole top 100 should just go away. Its like movie reviews or music reviews, they suck.

A rating system is fine as long as there are controls to eliminate all the troll and fanboy ratings.

It can very easily be done and would give the top 100 some credibility.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Well hold on. Let's not be a bunch of Greg Bones about rating things, either. On a 10 point scale, 5 should be average. So I think 5s are still fine. 1? Obviously not. 10? Probably not as well. But don't just throw out anything 5 or 6 and lower. A

You may want to not get so pantsed up and read what I said, I didn’t say throw 5 and 6 out but there is no modern pin that is a 4 or below, period.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Disagree. What’s the point of a 10 pt scale if no one is willing to use the whole scale. Youre saying it should basically be a 5 pt scale plus 5 because...well all pinball is fun. Shrug

Come on man, statistical averages use algorithms like this all the time to circumvent shit like this.

I believe it’s called the trimmed mean and you have to have a way to not count outlier votes that affect the average.

Star Wars premium a 1.0? Yeah...sure.

Whether you flag it or not it affects the average from what I can see on other games.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I love how people think throwing out 1-6 star reviews and 10 star reviews would fix the problem

Comprehension my friend, that wasn’t what I said.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

ffs get over the ratings system already....it means NOTHING.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If someone doesn’t like something then they don’t like it. They’re not wrong because no one is right. If they hate a game that’s their prerogative.
    A single person making multiple reviews to skew the overall rating one way or another is an issue of course. That’s abusing the system. Giving a single bad review is using the system.

We can agree to disagree.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Sounds like if we dont agree with you we are getting pantsed up, whatever the fuck that means.

Again I didnt say throw out 5/6 and below and frankly don’t give a fuck who agrees or disagreed with me on anything. It’s ok to have differing opinion.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like stack ranking things. You vote something up or down the same list and that’s your ranking.
    It’s even better when combined with a tiered distribution curve, something like you have to have at least 1 F, 2 D, 3 C, 2 B, 1 A rankings that you can give out

Something like that would be better and would eliminate many outliers.

I just was playing around and compiling a rating for a game, it is difficult to even get to 1.0 without just scoring the minimum on everything.

Shit, even if you hate Star Wars, just giving the music or art a good score puts it well above 1.0 threshold.

For a game like this 5.0 would be bad but I could see how you can get to that type of rating.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Just for fun I ranked Star Wars Pro with the system. I ended up with it being a little over 3/10. Which...yeah that’s close to my opinion of that game relative to games of the past several years. I’d probably would have gone in saying 4/10. (Well really Id say it’s a 2/5 which sounds a lot better than a 4/10 even if it’s functionally the same)
    I won’t get into why I don’t like the game but I am pretty meh to it overall. It’s not that I don’t get the game, it’s just whatever to me compared to others. But I’ll rate stuff harshly...
    It also reminds me, the top 100 should really break out the early SS games with numerical and alphanumeric scoring. It’s so hard to compare DMD/LCD games with the older ones. Heck it’s hard to compare a lot of 90s DMD games with the latest LCD games. The expectations change so much over time.

That’s a fair assessment and I think we can agree there is a big difference between a 1.0 and 4.0 and the affect it has on the overall average.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its my day off, Im not getting pantsed up...

The day is early yet

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

And you aren't wrong, for yourself. For me, it is one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever experienced. It's fine we don't agree.
    One thing I dislike about the rating system is a game can have meh art, meh sound, and be a blast. Can be your favorite game ever, but it can rate lower than games you hate. Frankly a slider of 0-100 for an overall score would be more effective. Much easier for you to say game A is better than game B, but overall game C is far superior. Besides some of this is stupidly subjective. Do you like the art style of the time period? Do you like the theme? If not good chance you will hate the art.

You touched on a major point I was trying to make earlier.

A game can absolutely blow from a gameplay standpoint but have great art/sound. If this is the case and rated appropriately it would be impossible to be below a 3/4.

The opposite is true as well, great gameplay but shit art or sound.

The problem here is the folks that carpet bomb every category as a 1.

Even Jetsons has good art and hard for it to be rated as a 1 overall.

I really like the idea of using the trimmed mean system. Keeps everything in check.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Psw757.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abuse-of-rating-system-?tu=Psw757 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.