Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

934B57EF-552F-4903-86D9-BE3E432A4159 (resized).png
    8CBF4AC1-0775-40EB-BBB4-D379C84E6ACE.gif
    Keyboard commandos.gif
    04DA4240-C1A2-4B4B-BBD9-1B1FC11F9E4E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20201231_184528229 (resized).jpg
    05969F5A-388B-4C11-88E0-A6B7419F0ED9 (resized).jpeg
    Let the Hate Flow.png
    BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg
    toysrating (resized).png
    5168BF12-AC2F-4403-A3C1-C064798D3E78 (resized).jpeg
    E94AB8F8-EE85-49C1-A898-933DCD69AB8B (resized).png
    31BADAB9-9E73-489A-ACAD-7196BB449B23 (resized).png
    FC93CA11-0D34-4A6B-8D8A-B024454FD023 (resized).png
    There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago

I personally rate pins in the four general categories of okay, good, very good, and great (with room inside each category). I haven’t yet played a pin that isn’t at least “okay.”

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Stern Star Wars is the number 2 rated game. I think just that proves ratings are useless.

No its the fact that to me it belongs in the top 10 and u think its shit that makes the ratings useless. SW is an amazing game.

#103 3 years ago

My old calculator added up what people wasting time rating games “1” need instead of pinball:

BF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpegBF3689B2-BF92-46C1-9523-47A4BD96D639 (resized).jpeg

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

No its the fact that to me it belongs in the top 10 and u think its shit that makes the ratings useless. SW is an amazing game.

SW is very, very good. I think "amazing" might be a bit over the top though. It definitely has some room for improvement in some areas. I don't even mind it being in the Top 10 or Top 20. But #2 is ridiculous, and it's only rated that high because of 27 raters for the Comic Premium version. Doesn't seem correct that those 27 outway the hundreds of other much-lower ratings for the other versions of the game.

#105 3 years ago

Since when did Sternwars hit #2? Looks like bunch of newbs bought one during lockdown and gave it 10s. There is no where near an overall positive consensus on that pin.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

... For me though, caucasian2step is the gold standard of pinside ratings.

I never heard of the guy, so I took a look. I don’t think I can rely on his ratings, since MM (consensus #1 pin of all time) is #465 on his list, behind at least 100 EM machines that are IMO unplayable, because who would play an EM if a SS, even a bad SS, was available?

TOM (#1 rated game on IPDB) is #769 on his list, behind Baby Pac-Man and Granny and the Gators, and I assume at least a couple of gumball machines with flippers.

He downgrades both MM and TOM because of “scoring imbalance”. Not sure why that would knock a game down 400-700 spots, but hey, balanced scoring must mean a lot to c2s. His comments seem to be directed at tournament players, which I am not.

I’m looking for fun, not balanced scoring, so MM and TOM are in a perpetual battle for the #1 spot on my list.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Since when did Sternwars hit #2? Looks like bunch of newbs bought one during lockdown and gave it 10s. There is no where near an overall positive consensus on that pin.

the overall SW rating was somewhere in the high 50's which I think was rather low considering that every Spike and Spike 2 was rated higher except for WWE, Munsters and The Beatles. SW might not be the best Stern (I think it is because I bought it when I could have bought any other pin) but I don't really think it's the bottom 3 Spike/Spike 2 pins (that seems off because SW is a great theme and theme is important).

However if you look at a big picture probably there is not a huge rating difference between the crowd (8.5 to 8.0 not a whole ton of separation between number 20 and 60 just half of one point).

#108 3 years ago

Thunderbirds deserves to be exactly where it is. I think the ratings system should be based on an aggregate ranked choice system. It's hard to game that depending on how it is done.

#109 3 years ago

Let's all say it together: Read the actual reviews and ignore the numerical ratings. Even if you disagree with the reviewer's rating, you do know more about that machine and whether you might like it or not than any numerical rating will tell you. Everybody has different tastes and just because you see something rated high doesn't mean yer gonna like it. Read the reviews and see what people like or don't and decide if you like the same stuff too!

Like anything else where there's a top 10 or whatever, it's all about bragging rights.

Uncle Pinball

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

The day is early yet

Finally put my pants on to go get a hamburger and fries...

You were right dammit...

#111 3 years ago

Since when did Sternwars hit #2? Looks like bunch of newbs bought one during lockdown and gave it 10s.

Sweet, now I can say I own the second best pinball machine in the world and I didn't even have to shake up the collection to acquire it!

I'm a fan of Stern SW, obviously, but agree it's a little surprising to see it ranked #2, especially given the mixed reception it gets around here. Maybe all the old Pinside dogs have quit reviewing games after reading one too many of these threads bitching about the Top 100!

#112 3 years ago

This is a long-standing issue on any internet site allowing 'the masses' a vote. So the best sites report/feature the avg. reviews from approved critics and then they show the 'user avg score' separately.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Why cannot someone hate a game and give it a 1 or vice versa love a game and give it 10? If low scores are invalid then so are the high ratings. Basically you are saying we should just throw out votes because you don't agree with them.

I have rated just a few games as a 10. I only do so if it is EXTREMELY fun and I just can't envision how it could be better. I have no issues with a "10" rating.

A "1" rating on the other hand...i just can't imagine. I think all pinball is fun (some are obviously much more so than others), but I couldn't even imagine rating that low on even some of my least favorite games.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

SW is very, very good. I think "amazing" might be a bit over the top though. It definitely has some room for improvement in some areas. I don't even mind it being in the Top 10 or Top 20. But #2 is ridiculous, and it's only rated that high because of 27 raters for the Comic Premium version. Doesn't seem correct that those 27 outway the hundreds of other much-lower ratings for the other versions of the game.

My issue is that those 27 ratings were mostly legitimate, but when people saw that it was #2, a flood of extremely low ratings (without comments) came in to clearly try to knock it down the rankings, so instead of it slowly falling into whatever range was accurate, it will go from #2 this week, to outside of the Top 40 next week. That is absurd. And that is only due to the fact that a single 4.0 rating can offset about seven 10.0 ratings by itself. That is too severe, especially when the 4.0 is almost always bogus.

I love the game (premium), and think it is the best pin I have ever played (and if you look at my ratings, I think most would agree with most of my ratings). It just has so many ways to play it and is a smooth and fast shooting pin. That is my honest opinion and that is why I bought it for my home (over any other pin). What other motivation would I have to pay $8,000 to buy it if I didn't think it was great? That doesn't make me a fan boy when I then rate it highly. It makes me informed.

But that pin is polarizing, and I think the main reason is so many people hate the Pro that they don't give the premium a chance (or have never played it). Set up is huge too and it is definitely better suited as a home pin. Still, let the LEGITIMATE ratings fall where they may, but this bs flood of sub 5.0 rankings just to sandbag it is embarrassing for the entire site.

My solution, in case anyone cares, would be to keep the rating system the same, but use the median score instead of the average score. That would give a more accurate assessment because the extremes would still count, but the fact that they are extreme wouldn't matter.

#115 3 years ago

Please don't burst my cozy pinball bubble.

If I find out that the top-100 has been manipulated -- in any way shape or form -- I'm going to f***ing lose my pinball mind.

-mof

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Thunderbirds deserves to be exactly where it is. I think the ratings system should be based on an aggregate ranked choice system. It's hard to game that depending on how it is done.

I think Robin should rework the ratings to only two options: 1) better than Thunderbirds or 2) A pile of crap that belongs with the Thunderbirds turd

After that we could all agree that the rating is impossible to get fair/good and we could all ignore it.

#117 3 years ago

Ratings for any item/service are widely subjective (I work for a real estate agent review platform)
    What you’re looking for in any review should not be the score as such but a combination of the following:
    *Does some comment in the review resonate with you? Points about style of game etc
    * Buying advice, what to look for
    * A gimmick or something that stands out about the game
    * Potential add ons/mods
    I have only rated 30 odd games but I’ve owned all of them and feel I need extensive play to determine what to say in my review.
    I also try to be consistent, reviewing all games in a similar manner to make them easy to follow
    I have edited many ratings after further play to avoid what may be considered reviewing in a honeymoon phase of ownership
    No rating system is perfect, we all just need to read what is there and determine whether a review has value to you and if not, move on

#118 3 years ago

Part of the problem is the combining of Pro/Premium scores. Some machines (like Star Wars) are much better/worse between the two versions. It's unfair to give Star Wars Pro a great rating just because Star Wars Premium is good. And it's unfair to give Star Wars Premium a bad rating just because Star Wars Pro is not.

I think if the machine plays differently (not just has powder-coating and a topper) then it should be rated separately.

#119 3 years ago

when did Sternwars hit #2?

Let the Hate Flow.pngLet the Hate Flow.png
    #120 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

SW is a good game yes amazing no it's not even Sterns best

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from haveaniceswim:

I never heard of the guy, so I took a look. I don’t think I can rely on his ratings, since MM (consensus #1 pin of all time) is #465 on his list, behind at least 100 EM machines that are IMO unplayable, because who would play an EM if a SS, even a bad SS, was available?
    TOM (#1 rated game on IPDB) is #769 on his list, behind Baby Pac-Man and Granny and the Gators, and I assume at least a couple of gumball machines with flippers.
    He downgrades both MM and TOM because of “scoring imbalance”. Not sure why that would knock a game down 400-700 spots, but hey, balanced scoring must mean a lot to c2s. His comments seem to be directed at tournament players, which I am not.
    I’m looking for fun, not balanced scoring, so MM and TOM are in a perpetual battle for the #1 spot on my list.

Part of the reason many of us value Caucasian2Step reviews is he has rated almost 900 games. He has not just given them a number but also written a detailed review of each using a consistent format. These are games he has actually played and not just repeating the popular opinion of the hour. Many of us enjoy reading his reviews and use them to seek out games we might not have played otherwise. I don't think it is fair to discount these just because you disagree or because you aren't a tournament player. I don't always agree with him but I respect this thoughtful opinions.

It is very difficult to compare modern SS games to EMs and pinside actually has different top lists for each. Many of the criteria used to rate modern games (animations, sound) aren't even applicable to EMs. So I don't think you should discount a reviewer because several EM games are rated higher than solid states.

If you look at his MM review his major complaint about the game is that the main scoring strategy is just to hit the castle repeatedly. This is a legitimate criticism which even the games programmer has acknowledged. He still gives it a 7.53 which is lower than average for that game but I don't feel that constitutes the type of extreme rating that others are complaining about.

#122 3 years ago

For years felt Jpop games were wildly inflated on here. They have always been known for their poor code. Pretty, nice layouts, terrible code. Can dig through comments on RGP from back to when they were released. Yet they get highly rated

Now, one thing I wonder is if the old b/w games keep getting new code how long it would take for their ratings to reflect this. Mystery Castle had an updated version of the code rediscovered and it took a good 6-8 years for people to catch on.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have no issues with a "10" rating.
    A "1" rating on the other hand...i just can't imagine.

How would this work in a rating system? If your scale is 1-10 but nothing on the scale can be a one then you really have a 2-10 scale. What is the purpose of a one in such a system?

Setting an objective criteria is impossible for some things (art). Other things it’s impractical to measure (flow) because there is no clear definition.

Bottom line is defining a criteria is hard and bad actors will usually find a way to game the system if there is any incentive to do so.

#124 3 years ago

...because who would play an EM if a SS, even a bad SS, was available?

Uh.... I would? I have an EM in my collection, along with some of the top modern games. Guess what? I play my EM as much as my other games. Sometimes you don't want to play a 5-20 minute game. That is also why I have brutal short SS games as well (e.g. Paragon).

That, and... pinball is fun. Having different flavors of pinball available to you is... guess what? Fun.

And SW being a number 2 pin is a joke. The game shoots okay sure (fan layout, I think we could have laid that out ourselves at this point...) and the code is interesting... but for me every time I am tempted to buy it I think of all the times I have "had" to play the video mode 2x in a game. Even 1x is too much. I am not stepping up to a pinball to play a stupid 2 button video game for a minute or two every game.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

"had" to play the video mode 2x in a game. Even 1x is too much. I am not stepping up to a pinball to play a stupid 2 button video game for a minute or two every game.

The new code allows you to limit the video mode to one time per game.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The new code allows you to limit the video mode to one time per game.

That is good to know. I still think that is 1x too many. It is fine for a location game but not something I would want at my house I think.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Part of the reason many of us value caucasian2step reviews is he has rated almost 900 games. He has not just given them a number but also written a detailed review of each using a consistent format. These are games he has actually played and not just repeating the popular opinion of the hour. Many of us enjoy reading his reviews and use them to seek out games we might not have played otherwise. I don't think it is fair to discount these just because you disagree or because you aren't a tournament player. I don't always agree with him but I respect this thoughtful opinions.
    It is very difficult to compare modern SS games to EMs and pinside actually has different top lists for each. Many of the criteria used to rate modern games (animations, sound) aren't even applicable to EMs. So I don't think you should discount a reviewer because several EM games are rated higher than solid states.
    If you look at his MM review his major complaint about the game is that the main scoring strategy is just to hit the castle repeatedly. This is a legitimate criticism which even the games programmer has acknowledged. He still gives it a 7.53 which is lower than average for that game but I don't feel that constitutes the type of extreme rating that others are complaining about.

I agree 100%. Thank you for writing out what I was trying to convey, lazily, in my short posts.

#128 3 years ago

You have to rate games against their own era. An EM can certainly have a higher rating than a DMD or LCD game.

#129 3 years ago

Rating systems like this are always flawed.

They're completely subjective and they depend on voluntary ratings, so you're only getting a small, skewed data sample.

I remember back in the 1990s some cinema magazine did a poll and "The Shawshank Redemption" was rated #1.

Because... it had come out a year or two earlier and it was a popular movie. You think it would still top the list today? Is it really THAT good? The BEST movie ever?

ALSO, most of the ratings are going to be from people who only played the game a few times. Sometimes you have to play a pinball game for a while before you "get it."

I bought an TAF for myself and a CV for my wife. That's what we both wanted. Now she camps out on the TAF and the CV is my "go to" pin.

But when we first got them, I hated CV so much that I was literally disgusted with it, I thought it was a flat waste of money.

She did not like the TAF because she had never seen the movie and didn't get all humor and nuance of it.

The point is, a pin rating by someone who played a game 3 times isn't much of a rating.

ALSO, some of the best pins are so rare that very few people really know them.

For example, I have a Bally Atlantis that everyone LOVES. It's a just an old-school smash the ball around game, it plays with a VERY satisfying, zippy flow. A real fast-playing game. And it has great non-PC artwork from the days when the USA was a fun place. But it's a simplistic 80s pin so it's ignored in the ratings.

Pinballs with a lot of fancy features get better ratings than pins that are fun to play.

AND, it's pretty obvious that some people are rating their pins really high in an effort to make their collection seem more valuable. If someone gave Bally Atlantis all "10s" and says, "It's the BEST PINBALL EVER EVER EVER", is that an honest rating? Probably not.

Moral of the story: take it all with a grain of salt, it is what it is.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Part of the problem is the combining of Pro/Premium scores. Some machines (like Star Wars) are much better/worse between the two versions. It's unfair to give Star Wars Pro a great rating just because Star Wars Premium is good. And it's unfair to give Star Wars Premium a bad rating just because Star Wars Pro is not.
    I think if the machine plays differently (not just has powder-coating and a topper) then it should be rated separately.

The thing is, the Pro version of SW is also still a good game. I've never played the Premium, but I really enjoyed my Pro. But I do agree that combining the different versions of a game into one slot on the Top 100 can create problems. But separating them out, also creates different problems. It's tricky.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

The thing is, the Pro version of SW is also still a good game. I've never played the Premium, but I really enjoyed my Pro. But I do agree that combining the different versions of a game into one slot on the Top 100 can create problems. But separating them out, also creates different problems. It's tricky.

I like the way it is done now, with the highest version counting in the ranking, but all versions being rated separately. My only issue is when people rate versions they haven’t played based on assumptions from versions they have. In some games, the gameplay difference between Pro and Premium is minor (JP, DP) in others, the pin plays totally differently (SW).

#132 3 years ago

The ratings system would be more accurate if they had one for Stern games and one for everything else. Stern has too much of the market for these ratings to be even remotely close to accurate.

I think it's fine for somebody to think that Star Wars is the best or second game ever. It's all subjective just like music. Nobody really cares who says which songs are the best ever. You listen to what you like.

However, what I don't like is that people are being dishonest. If a person uses the Pinside system as is, there is no way many people are being honest. I don't care how much you like Star Wars, there is no way you can say that it has the best or second best toys and gimmicks, cabinet art, playfield art, backlgass art and/or theme integration and give these categories a perfect 6 out of 6. If you think so then you are either lying or have incredibly bad taste.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

It's irrelevant.

You're talking about nuances for a rating system that's got about the same level of accuracy as an applause meter at a spring break wet t-shirt contest.

If I play SW at some pin convention for a few minutes, my rating counts the same as someone who owns it and plays it every day.

Plus, the ratings are mostly being done by COLLECTORS. There might be some brand new pin that's 10x as fun to play as "Monster Mash", but the collectors will never rate the games to reflect that fact.

The ratings are a crude tool at best.

I would use the ratings only for predicting what would be a good "collector" purchase if I was a newbie.

#134 3 years ago

SW is just at the #2 spot right now for the same reason most *any* new Stern pin ends up in the top 5 shortly after release... There are a very low number of ratings on the newer released comic art edition, which gives new raters/owners the bullhorn for a minute. Having 4-5 editions of every game these days helps muddy the waters further. This is probably obvious to most seasoned pinsiders, but this will quickly even out just like with any other title. The more reviews, the more sticky the rating.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Because... it had come out a year or two earlier and it was a popular movie. You think it would still top the list today? Is it really THAT good? The BEST movie ever?

Absol-fucking-lutely

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from jcg9998:

The ratings system would be more accurate if they had one for Stern games and one for everything else. Stern has too much of the market for these ratings to be even remotely close to accurate.
    I think it's fine for somebody to think that Star Wars is the best or second game ever. It's all subjective just like music. Nobody really cares who says which songs are the best ever. You listen to what you like.
    However, what I don't like is that people are being dishonest. If a person uses the Pinside system as is, there is no way many people are being honest. I don't care how much you like Star Wars, there is no way you can say that it has the best or second best toys and gimmicks, cabinet art, playfield art, backlgass art and/or theme integration and give these categories a perfect 6 out of 6. If you think so then you are either lying or have incredibly bad taste.

This is where it becomes clear that someone only has limited time with a game, or has only played the Pro version.

For Star Wars Comic, I think the art is a 10/10. This is obviously subjective, but it is a packed playfield with great artwork, and the colors are great.

For toys, although there are games with MORE toys, for sure, I think the Hyperloop “toy” is one of a kind and a 10/10. That is a much more integral toy than some bash toy and is absolutely amazing and warrants a top toy score by itself. In my view, it is the single best “toy” in pinball. I also think the tie fighters “bobble head” is great when combined with a shaker motor. Not because the toy is amazing, but because it is very true to the theme and is satisfying to hit. It also has a great role in the game. There is also an “exploding” Death Star that is unlike any other toy I’ve seen. Lastly, there is a Millennium Falcon model that has engines that light up. So it boggles my mind when people say that Star Wars (premium) doesn’t have toys. (However, keep in mind that the Pro doesn’t have any of these “toys” except for the Tie fighter. For me, the Premium is a 10/10 for toys and the Pro is a 2/10 for toys.)

For theme integration, there are over 500 original scenes from the movies. The call-outs are all original and a mix from the movie lines (with original voices) and the narrator from The Clone Wars. How much more integration do you want? (One of the reasons I chose SW over JP is because I couldn’t get over the fake voices and dinosaur artwork (not Jurassic Park artwork). That may not matter to some but it matters to me, especially when considering for a home environment.)

For gameplay, the fan layout has been called boring by many, but fan layouts are the purest layouts in pinball. The code makes an otherwise boring layout interesting because of the hurry ups and how it plays. Also, the fork ramp (premium only) completely changes the variety of the layout and creates interest. Also, the ramps are smooth and the orbits are as smooth and fast as any in pinball. That’s why I gave the layout a 10/10.

For cabinet, I love the cabinet art but originally rated it 5/6. After having it in my home for over a year, I changed my rating to 6/6 because I really think it looks amazing and every time I have someone over, they gush about how awesome it looks. Also, the Comic premium back glass is as good as I’ve seen as well, so that’s a 10/10.

For lighting, I think SW is one of the best lit pins out there, with great variety (red and blue lightsaber mode, black and white strobe Boba Fett mode, great and lots of inserts) and integration, so that’s a 10/10.

So based on MY comments above, how could it NOT be a 10/10?

Although I really think the only people that could disagree with any of the above are those that haven’t played a PREMIUM that is set up correctly, I understand that my comments are subjective and others may have different views.

My complaint about the ratings is ONLY about the people who think the game is a 7/10 but rate it a 4/10 just to sandbag it. That needs to be rooted out and deleted from the ratings.

#137 3 years ago

My pinball goes to eleven.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you give any game a 1, you probably shouldn't be in this hobby.

You've obviously never played Thunderturds

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

SW is a good game yes amazing no it's not even Sterens best

It is to me. That's all that matters. People think WOZ is amazing and I can't stand it. This just goes even further as to why the ratings stink and have no real purpose. Well outside of sellers loving to post how their game for sale is rated #3 or whatever on pinside, or how it makes pinsiders feel about the games they own, in others words crap. Who is this Steren u speak of?

#140 3 years ago

What are you guys saying? My rating of CSI 3 years ago is wrong?

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from SWfan:

This is where it becomes clear that someone only has limited time with a game, or has only played the Pro version.
    For Star Wars Comic, I think the art is a 10/10. This is obviously subjective, but it is a packed playfield with great artwork, and the colors are great.
    For toys, although there are games with MORE toys, for sure, I think the Hyperloop “toy” is one of a kind and a 10/10. That is a much more integral toy than some bash toy and is absolutely amazing and warrants a top toy score by itself. In my view, it is the single best “toy” in pinball. I also think the tie fighters “bobble head” is great when combined with a shaker motor. Not because the toy is amazing, but because it is very true to the theme and is satisfying to hit. It also has a great role in the game. There is also an “exploding” Death Star that is unlike any other toy I’ve seen. Lastly, there is a Millennium Falcon model that has engines that light up. So it boggles my mind when people say that Star Wars (premium) doesn’t have toys. (However, keep in mind that the Pro doesn’t have any of these “toys” except for the Tie fighter. For me, the Premium is a 10/10 for toys and the Pro is a 2/10 for toys.)
    For theme integration, there are over 500 original scenes from the movies. The call-outs are all original and a mix from the movie lines (with original voices) and the narrator from The Clone Wars. How much more integration do you want? (One of the reasons I chose SW over JP is because I couldn’t get over the fake voices and dinosaur artwork (not Jurassic Park artwork). That may not matter to some but it matters to me, especially when considering for a home environment.)
    For gameplay, the fan layout has been called boring by many, but fan layouts are the purest layouts in pinball. The code makes an otherwise boring layout interesting because of the hurry ups and how it plays. Also, the fork ramp (premium only) completely changes the variety of the layout and creates interest. Also, the ramps are smooth and the orbits are as smooth and fast as any in pinball. That’s why I gave the layout a 10/10.
    For cabinet, I love the cabinet art but originally rated it 5/6. After having it in my home for over a year, I changed my rating to 6/6 because I really think it looks amazing and every time I have someone over, they gush about how awesome it looks. Also, the Comic premium back glass is as good as I’ve seen as well, so that’s a 10/10.
    For lighting, I think SW is one of the best lit pins out there, with great variety (red and blue lightsaber mode, black and white strobe Boba Fett mode, great and lots of inserts) and integration, so that’s a 10/10.
    So based on MY comments above, how could it NOT be a 10/10?
    Although I really think the only people that could disagree with any of the above are those that haven’t played a PREMIUM that is set up correctly, I understand that my comments are subjective and others may have different views.
    My complaint about the ratings is ONLY about the people who think the game is a 7/10 but rate it a 4/10 just to sandbag it. That needs to be rooted out and deleted from the ratings.

I agree however understand others may not love it but don’t need to crap on it and rate it at 1,2,3,4 etc. it’s not horrible like Thunderbirds. I prefer the comic art on the pro and think the pro is great too but agree the hyper loop and other toys on the premium are great and move the premium up.

I’ve played games that I don’t love like RZ or South Park and never felt the need to rate them or had an agenda to vote down pins I don’t like. But if I was to rate my least favorite pin it would probably still be 5 or 6 out of 10

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from SWfan:

For theme integration, there are over 500 original scenes from the movies. The call-outs are all original and a mix from the movie lines (with original voices) and the narrator from The Clone Wars. How much more integration do you want?

The problem is that nearly all of the movie clips are sized really small, and only take up a quarter of the screen. They've got a nice-sized screen in the backbox, but then Stern barely uses any of it for movie-clips. This is because of the mode-stacking decision that Dwight made. Since you've got to be able to show multiple mode's clips at the same time, he made them small enough to fit on the screen simultaneously. It makes it harder to enjoy the scenes being played, and it really contrasts with some of the final battle modes, or duel mode, where the full screen is used.

This sucks, since I find it a lot more immersive to play with mode-stacking off, but I still have to have the tiny-sized movie clips. So for me, that would be a knock on display and animations, a slight knock on rules/code, and a small knock on theme integration.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Of course. But a lot of the games that are dogs either didn’t see the light of day, or many haven’t played cause you never see them.
    As far as games that are regularly seen and played, it’s rare I would rate something below a 5-6

The other issue is the effect on the overall rating for the game.

If a game is rated a 9.00 with 100 ratings, and I give it a 10, then the rating will increase from 9.00 to 9.01.

If a game is rated a 9.00 with 100 ratings, and I give it a 1, its rating will drop to 8.92.

That is a 0.01 increase in the rating if I give it a 10, but a 0.08 decrease if I give it a 1. Giving a 1 has an 8x bigger influence on the game’s ranking than giving it a 10!

Said differently, for every 1.0 rating, it takes 8(!) 10.0 ratings just to cancel out that one low score. Even a single 4.0 rating would lower the overall rating to 8.95, which would have 5x more influence on the overall rating of the game than a 10.0 rating, and require 5(!) 10.0 ratings to cancel it out. This is a flawed system.

As I said in another post, the solution is simple, USE THE MEDIAN (number at which half the scores are higher and half are lower) instead of the average (total scores divided by total votes).

Using the median allows every vote to matter, but each vote is equal. robin

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I remember back in the 1990s some cinema magazine did a poll and "The Shawshank Redemption" was rated #1.

I don't think you could ever say there was a best movie but if you did "The Shawshank Redemption" would be in the running

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from SWfan:

The other issue is the effect on the overall rating for the game.
    If a game is rated a 9.00 with 100 ratings, and I give it a 10, then the rating will increase from 9.00 to 9.01.
    If a game is rated a 9.00 with 100 ratings, and I give it a 1, its rating will drop to 8.92.
    That is a 0.01 increase in the rating if I give it a 10, but a 0.08 decrease if I give it a 1. Giving a 1 has an 8x bigger influence on the game’s ranking than giving it a 10!
    Said differently, for every 1.0 rating, it takes 8(!) 10.0 ratings just to cancel out that one low score. Even a single 4.0 rating would lower the overall rating to 8.95, which would have 5x more influence on the overall rating of the game than a 10.0 rating, and require 5(!) 10.0 ratings to cancel it out. This is a flawed system.
    As I said in another post, the solution is simple, USE THE MEDIAN (number at which half the scores are higher and half are lower) instead of the average (total scores divided by total votes).
    Using the median allows every vote to matter, but each vote is equal. robin

That sounds like a good idea.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You've obviously never played Thunderturds

I have. But because I love pinball, it's still not a 1. Better than no pinball at all...

#147 3 years ago

One thing that I'd really like to see added is a way to see the ratings a reviewer gave to each aspect of a game, as well as a top 100 for the different aspects such as music or artwork. I like how the rating system requires you to rate reach aspect individually, but I feel like it's a bit of a waste that the feature isn't used for more than just creating your overall rating.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have. But because I love pinball, it's still not a 1. Better than no pinball at all...

If people can’t even give Thunderbirds a 1 then why bother with a ten point scale?

Is 1 supposed to be “no pinball”? That makes no sense with a scale. That’s a zero

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from SWfan:

I think the Hyperloop “toy” is one of a kind

#getaway-high-speed-ii
    Nascar
    Both have a wireform the ball rides on as it’s propelled around the playfield.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The Getaway: High Speed II
    Nascar
    Both have a wireform the ball rides on as it’s propelled around the playfield.

Not even close to the same execution or impact, let alone gameplay.

I wasn't claiming that Star Wars Premium invented the idea, but the execution and effect is on a totally different level than those two games.

There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abuse-of-rating-system-/page/3?hl=swfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.