(Topic ID: 293511)

Absolute max $2,500 best game for newbie?

By MT45

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A607413-FEB4-4B72-A465-A8A3536FA542.gif
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.32.32 PM (resized).png
d (resized).jpg
c (resized).jpg
b (resized).jpg
a (resized).jpg
61F34708-40F2-4FF3-87CE-268B0C2E2E1E (resized).jpeg
20210208_181617 (resized).jpg
F806D6DC-5F1E-42D7-9354-D0CFA42B9F2C (resized).jpeg
FF82DBE0-9D2C-4379-B76A-FA3FCB6BE7EB (resized).jpeg
F57375BC-F53D-437E-A7D9-12C55AE27290 (resized).jpeg
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Buddy that's new to PB wants one game for his man cave
Wont spend over $2,500, can't be an EM
Teenage grandkids (boys) and himself would be the players
Titles that fit?

I told him he picked a heck of a time to try to search out a $2,500 game

#2 2 years ago

Bally's NBA Fastbreak or World Cup Soccer if they like sports. Or Big Hurt as someone mentioned. Not sure if you can still get these at $2500 but it should be close to that. Problem is at that price the machine will be a player's machine and require some maintenance or have some issues like cracked plastics. NBA Fastbreak is notoriously hard to find some parts for.

#3 2 years ago

Have him click on the top 100 list. Then click on each title going down until he sees one around $2,500. Honestly, he's going to be pretty far down the list. Not saying it will be the best game for the money but it'll be a start.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Buddy that's new to PB wants one game for his man cave
Wont spend over $2,500, can't be an EM
Teenage grandkids (boys) and himself would be the players
Titles that fit?
I told him he picked a heck of a time to try to search out a $2,500 game

Lethal Weapon 3.

Cheesy but non-pin people love it.

#5 2 years ago

A year ago I would’ve included T2 and No Fear as options. Now both seem to require at least 3k as cost of entry, sometimes more.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Have him click on the top 100 list. Then click on each title going down until he sees one around $2,500. Honestly, he's going to be pretty far down the list. Not saying it will be the best game for the money but it'll be a start.

EDIT: looks like Flash Gordon, Pinbot, Taxi, Terminator 2 down in the 80 to 90 rankings is probably where they'll be.

#7 2 years ago

In the past I've owned World Challege Soccer (Gottleib) Space Jam for under $2,000, and they have been popular titles.

#8 2 years ago

Flash Gordon for 2500? If available, definitely. Likely to cost more if condition is good.

Maybe Space Station?

#9 2 years ago

Black Knight (1980) would be my #1 pick in that price range. One of my favorite games, regardless of price.

#10 2 years ago

The way prices are going, a decent sys 11 can be found for $2,500 or under

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballBJB:

Flash Gordon for 2500? If available, definitely. Likely to cost more if condition is good.
Maybe Space Station?

1) FG below $2500? Good luck with that.

2) Newbies Are Not going to enjoy playing FG.

There is a game that will shake you down for cash and laugh while doing do.

#12 2 years ago

Space Shuttle

#13 2 years ago

I believe most of these can be gotten in that range (though finding them locally is always the challenge):

High Speed
Black Knight
Space Shuttle
Firepower
Blackout
Pinbot
Black Belt
Eight Ball Deluxe LE
F-14 Tomcat
Big Guns
Swords of Fury
Cyclone
Tee'd Off

I'm sure there's plenty more that can be added to the list. Are there any specific themes they are looking for or does it matter much to them?

#14 2 years ago

Great choice.

#15 2 years ago

Waterworld!

#16 2 years ago

From my experience I liked dredd at this price point very fun game and wide body too

#17 2 years ago

A little bit more, and a faded cabinet players condition No FEAR, if you are lucky, would be a speed demon for the boys.

#18 2 years ago

Look at roller games

#20 2 years ago

Wait... Are we asking for best topper for no more than $2500?

#21 2 years ago

Rocky and Bullwinkle

#22 2 years ago

Swords of furry is awesome if you can find one

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I believe most of these can be gotten in that range (though finding them locally is always the challenge):
High Speed
Black Knight
Space Shuttle
Firepower
Blackout
Pinbot
Black Belt
Eight Ball Deluxe LE
F-14 Tomcat
Big Guns
Swords of Fury
Cyclone
Tee'd Off
I'm sure there's plenty more that can be added to the list. Are there any specific themes they are looking for or does it matter much to them?

This is the list to look at OP. While I dont personally care for a few of these games, its a pretty good list. You really cant go wrong here. I alway recommend trying before buying. See if there are any local pinsiders that have games and are willing to let someone try them.

#25 2 years ago

Mousin Around. It’s a great pin for families and players that are new and also those with some experience. It’s easy to understand but hard to master. I saw someone say World Cup Soccer. That would also be a great choice.

#26 2 years ago

Offer to loan your friend a grand $ . Options widen then . Faded Johnny Mnemonic best bang buck if looking for DMD . Would be at or under 3k . He will need to figure cost service and who will do repairs early as well. Pins break .

Good luck Shane

#28 2 years ago

Space Shuttle with it's easy rules can keep you interested and coming back for more.
-Mike

#29 2 years ago

Last Action Hero, pretty loaded for that price, 1 listed on the market.

#30 2 years ago

Early 80’s solid states. Fun original themes, like pinbot, firepower, black knight...

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Mousin Around.

When was the last time you saw one of these, in OK for a newbie to buy shape, for 2500?

Quoted from bepositive:

Faded Johnny Mnemonic best bang buck if looking for DMD . Would be at or under 3k

Also, the past.

Up your budget to 3K op:
Will open up far more options, and with a little luck it's more likely you can land a half decent DMD not named Nascar.

Having a max budget will make you compromise your choice, and in this market that would not be wise.

#33 2 years ago

At this price point you can probably find several good titles in player's condition.

Last Action Hero
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Stargate
Shaq Attaq
Big Hurt
Jurassic Park
Xenon

#34 2 years ago

You'd have to be very lucky these days to find a Williams DMD at $2,500. It might not be impossible, but it's the exception now. Maybe people recommending them aren't aware of recent prices.

I'd look at Data East or Sega DMDs and Williams System 11 titles. I think someone new will appreciate the DMDs more: I though R&B is a good suggestion.

#35 2 years ago

Put 2500 in the envelope now and tell him to start saving more while he hunts* for a clean, early Bally SS.

Tons of fun, parts are almost always available and easy to work on as a first pin.

Paragon
Flash Gordon
Skateball
HGT
Black Knight

*: I have done this when buying tons of hobby stuff (Bikes, cars, stereo equipment, guns, pins, etc.) and I generally find an additional 15-25% more to spend just in tweaking my weekly budget.
No takeout, no water/coffee outside the home...that sort of thing. Instead, take that money out of your wallet and put it in the envelope.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Lethal Weapon 3.
Cheesy but non-pin people love it.

Second this.

I had f14, big guns, high speed, and although they are all sys 11, lethal weapon 3 is a much more entertaining game and has much wider appeal. The goals are straight forward and the movie clips may slow down the pace but they are rewards for new players that tie it back to the movie theme.

Also has that multiball ready on 3rd ball AND multiball restart and for someone new, thats a great feature that really works well to secure their interest in pin ownership. Has a huge next game feel when you are still trying to understand rulesets and cant hit the jackpots consistently

#37 2 years ago

There's some red-headed step-child Stern DMDs you've got better chance to find at that price. Nascar / Grand Prix is one I've found pinball newbs really enjoy. Roller Coaster Tycoon as well.

With a few exceptions, I've found newbs prefer DMDs over solid states / alphanumerics.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

When was the last time you saw one of these, in OK for a newbie to buy shape, for 2500?

Also, the past.
Up your budget to 3K op:
Will open up far more options, and with a little luck it's more likely you can land a half decent DMD not named Nascar.
Having a max budget will make you compromise your choice, and in this market that would not be wise.

But nascar is so good. So underrated. When its all working well, its a fantastically fun, loaded pin with 2 wizard modes and distinct modes to get there, with great flow. Im not shilling the game, but i dont think it deserves its rating lol

Just a heads up it can be a BEAST to maintain depending on what condition its in.

The pin has me casually googling the races... as i dont really know much other than, petty, bodine, gordon, waltrip, allison, rudd..... pretty much 80s era..

#39 2 years ago

Although they don’t get much love, Gottlieb system 3’s are tanks and pretty decent DMD games. Can definitely find one for under $2,500.00

#40 2 years ago

Black knight ,Blackout,Gorgar.I would go with Black knight myself 2500 is about right.Blackout or gorgar are good 1500 dollar games.

#41 2 years ago

TAXI

#42 2 years ago

My friend here in VA has a Lethal Weapon 3 for under $2500. Send me a pm if you’re interested

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

At this price point you can probably find several good titles in player's condition.
Last Action Hero
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Stargate
Shaq Attaq
Big Hurt
Jurassic Park
Xenon

Not going to find a good condition Jurrasic Park for 2500, you would be very hard pressed to find a LAH for that.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Maybe not for $2500 but not that far off either - $2750 or $3000. I get he said $2500 but you can always off less if you find one. I stand by my suggestion

#45 2 years ago

I can’t believe I’m saying this - as I've never recommended a 90s gottlieb game to anybody - but bang for buck, and reliability-wise, he may want to take a trip to 90s gottlieb town.

A a newbie a $2500 system 11 or early digital game might not be a very reliable or palatable decision. Gottlieb stuff like waterworld, barb wire, wipeout...not the best games in the world but should be able to get a nice, reliable gottlieb system 3 for that money.

Forget about wpc games any 90s Williams he finds for 2500 or less is probably gonna be pretty shitty, and your friend wants a pin not a headache. Even system 11 the picking will be pretty slim, and a 30+ year old
Game could be a pain.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballBJB:

A year ago I would’ve included T2 and No Fear as options. Now both seem to require at least 3k as cost of entry, sometimes more.

I've seen both go for over $4k recently. Not sure they got that but yea.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Eight Ball Deluxe LE

That one might have to come off your list soon but probably fair to leave it up for now. I’ve seen player condition ones sell for over 3,000 around here.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I sold a pretty nice player's Mousin' Around last year for $1900. Sure, prices have come up a bit over the last year but $2500 is still reasonable.

It was completely working, though it did have some playfield wear issues. It would have been fine for an entry machine.

#49 2 years ago

I just picked up a beautiful F-14 for $2500. They are out there, just keep looking

F57375BC-F53D-437E-A7D9-12C55AE27290 (resized).jpegF57375BC-F53D-437E-A7D9-12C55AE27290 (resized).jpegF806D6DC-5F1E-42D7-9354-D0CFA42B9F2C (resized).jpegF806D6DC-5F1E-42D7-9354-D0CFA42B9F2C (resized).jpegFF82DBE0-9D2C-4379-B76A-FA3FCB6BE7EB (resized).jpegFF82DBE0-9D2C-4379-B76A-FA3FCB6BE7EB (resized).jpeg
#50 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I sold a pretty nice player's Mousin' Around last year for $1900. Sure, prices have come up a bit over the last year but $2500 is still reasonable.

I bought a nice Mousin Around and Joker Poker at the same time towards the end of last summer for $3300 total.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/absolute-max-2500-best-game-for-newbie?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.