(Topic ID: 293511)

Absolute max $2,500 best game for newbie?

By MT45

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A607413-FEB4-4B72-A465-A8A3536FA542.gif
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.32.32 PM (resized).png
d (resized).jpg
c (resized).jpg
b (resized).jpg
a (resized).jpg
61F34708-40F2-4FF3-87CE-268B0C2E2E1E (resized).jpeg
20210208_181617 (resized).jpg
F806D6DC-5F1E-42D7-9354-D0CFA42B9F2C (resized).jpeg
FF82DBE0-9D2C-4379-B76A-FA3FCB6BE7EB (resized).jpeg
F57375BC-F53D-437E-A7D9-12C55AE27290 (resized).jpeg
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago

Thats cleaner than the one i had and i thought mine never saw any play!

Now you die die die!!

#52 2 years ago

Yeah if someone wants to sell me a JM or No Fear for under 4K please message me

Prices are ridiculous and it’s tough. Every Mousin’ I’ve seen lately is north of 2.5

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yeah if someone wants to sell me a JM or No Fear for under 4K please message me
Prices are ridiculous and it’s tough. Every Mousin’ I’ve seen lately is north of 2.5

4K probably buys my JM in a heartbeat lol.

#54 2 years ago

The right answer is High Speed.

You gotta put yourself in your noobie pinball shoes. You need a very basic, easy to fix game, that has some cool features like multiball and a beacon on the top!

Very low priced, super fast, and it really doesn't get old.

#55 2 years ago

Baywatch all day. The unofficial update does a good job polishing it up.

Way more bang for your buck than an early solid state, and much more attractive to guests & casual players.

For a first & only pin I want a game that has more than 1 or 2 objectives.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Baywatch all day. The unofficial update does a good job polishing it up.
Way more bang for your buck than an early solid state, and much more attractive to guests & casual players.

Nobody is selling these for 2500 anymore unless they are total basket cases. “I got one last week for 2200 from my dentist/old lady down block” doesn’t count we are talking realistic, readily available market value.

STRICT $2500 budget like the thread title says, you can rule out any 90s games besides premier/gottlieb stuff. That’s realistic life in 2021.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody is selling these for 2500 anymore unless they are total basket cases. “I got one last week for 2200 from my dentist/old lady down block” doesn’t count we are talking realistic, readily available market value.
STRICT $2500 budget like the thread title says, you can rule out any 90s games besides premier/gottlieb stuff. That’s realistic life in 2021.

Again, LW3 is a fairly easy buy today for 2500 and non-pinheads love it for some reason.

Purchased Jurrasic Park for my son who is a dinosaur freak growing up. What game did he play the most when on leave? LW3. I was utterly baffled and deeply annoyed considering how much trouble my reimport JP put me through getting back on its feet.

Hack city.

Brother in law loves it too, plays game after game when over.

20210208_181617 (resized).jpg20210208_181617 (resized).jpg
#58 2 years ago

My vote is a system 11, especially Pinbot or taxi.

And I seriously doubt you’ll find a wcs for 2500.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody is selling these for 2500 anymore.

True, it was on the OP's list, but it's not that far above $2500.

#60 2 years ago

Space shuttle
High speed
F14

#61 2 years ago

Best for $2500? An EBD in at least fair
Condition

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Space shuttle
High speed
F14

This is the $2500 sweet spot these days!

What’s the world coming to?!

#63 2 years ago

Was it that long ago that this list would've included Shadow and Ripley's...even Demolition Man?!

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Maybe not for $2500 but not that far off either - $2750 or $3000. I get he said $2500 but you can always off less if you find one. I stand by my suggestion

They haven't been 3k in awhile. 2750 ain't happening

Quoted from pinlawyer:

Best for $2500? An EBD in at least fair
Condition

#65 2 years ago

Thanks guys for all the fantastic suggestions... I told him to add a grand when he first asked me - but no go
The games you shared still provide a broad range for him to choose from
Add to the list if you've got more
Thx

#66 2 years ago

1 Space Shuttle
2 High Speed
3 Black Knight
4 Firepower
All are 3 ball multi ball

61F34708-40F2-4FF3-87CE-268B0C2E2E1E (resized).jpeg61F34708-40F2-4FF3-87CE-268B0C2E2E1E (resized).jpeg
#67 2 years ago

I would go with Pinbot or Taxi

#68 2 years ago

Tee’d Off
Bally Atlantis
Sorcerer (or Comet and Space Shuttle)
Jokerz
Just a few I used to own that should still be under 2500. All fun games. Wish I’d kept Jokerz, believe it or not. It was a very nice example.

#69 2 years ago

For now I would suggest you borrow him a game as it looks like you have a big collection and see how long they play the heck out of it before they get bored with it and then see if he still wants to buy one

#70 2 years ago

I know a handful of people have mentioned F14 but it gets old really fast. It’s definitely within the price range but I think there are better options for a one pin collection.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I know a handful of people have mentioned F14 but it gets old really fast. It’s definitely within the price range but I think there are better options for a one pin collection.

Yes. Gets old fast as its pretty one dimensional.

And its brutal for guests and new comers. They pretty much never see multiball.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Everything under $2500 is gonna “get old fast” if “deep” games are your thing.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everything under $2500 is gonna “get old fast” if “deep” games are your thing.

I agree and disagree. F14 is particularly shallow. Compare that to Mousin Around. There’s more than one way to play Mousin Around. It has ramps... A diverter. You can debate whether Mousin Around can be had for $2500, but maybe you can see my point.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everything under $2500 is gonna “get old fast.”

Truth.. its all just a matter of time.

On the other hand, id say data east is the sweet spot for a one game starter title. Sure its not as deep, but it has the licensed themes, goals are easy to understand, the multiball ready on ball 3, and you wont have to fight off pinheads to find one. I find their titles have more frills that appeal to home use.

#75 2 years ago

Tell him to invest the 2500 into crypto and buy a pin once it gets to 4K+

#76 2 years ago

Last Action Hero!

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Eth is dipping sharp right now. Catch it on sale

#78 2 years ago

I vote Maverick, unless those have jumped over 2500 and no one told me.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not going to find a good condition Jurrasic Park for 2500, you would be very hard pressed to find a LAH for that.

Maybe our definition of "player's condition" varies. I think you could find a playable DE JP/LAH with cabinet fade, some dings, some playfield wear, and no mods/upgrades at or very near that price point. However, if you want either of those titles in a well maintained (forget perfect condition and/or with upgrades) then I would agree with you.

#80 2 years ago

Most of the suggestions here were solid $2500 games before covid. Now I don't know what a good price is on some of these games. Just this past week I seen a f14 go up for sale at $3900 and pending in a few hours. Also seen a space station bring $2800.

I'm just so confused

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Maybe our definition of "player's condition" varies. I think you could find a playable DE JP/LAH with cabinet fade, some dings, some playfield wear, and no mods/upgrades at or very near that price point. However, if you want either of those titles in a well maintained (forget perfect condition and/or with upgrades) then I would agree with you.

I spent months looking for a JP, $3000 and up is the floor on that one around here.

LAH is better but not by much.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Most of the suggestions here were solid $2500 games before covid. Now I don't know what a good price is on some of these games. Just this past week I seen a f14 go up for sale at $3900 and pending in a few hours. Also seen a space station bring $2800.
I'm just so confused

Wait till u see canadian prices.

Rocky and bullwinkle, $4500
Tx sector $6000
Wcs94 $5500
Flinstones $5300

U guys need cash? Sell to canadians, they even pay the shipping and lose on the exchange!

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It will need to go higher than that. Capital gains tax are a bitch

#86 2 years ago

Most Gottlieb system 3 games are in this price range. You get a decent bang for your buck, reliable DMD game. Shaq Attack, Waterworld, Teed off all come to mind here.

Lethal Weapon 3 is also a great bang for the buck as well.

#87 2 years ago

Depending on condition. Maybe a nice $2K pin and $500 to bring it up to speed ?

LTG : )

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Again, LW3 is a fairly easy buy today for 2500 and non-pinheads love it for some reason.
Purchased Jurrasic Park for my son who is a dinosaur freak growing up. What game did he play the most when on leave? LW3. I was utterly baffled and deeply annoyed considering how much trouble my reimport JP put me through getting back on its feet.
Hack city.
Brother in law loves it too, plays game after game when over.
[quoted image]

I say it's the large wire ramps and Joe Pesci that suck people in.

#89 2 years ago

I wish I could had XX title, but all I have to say is good luck finding anything good for $2500. Old price thoughts are out the window.

#90 2 years ago

You have an amazing 41 games in your collection. Such a personal decision as to what someone values in a pinball machine. Which of your 41 games does your friend like? Some of your games sell on average for less than $2,500.

#91 2 years ago

Rollergames

#92 2 years ago

It doesn’t make sense that you were able to find your games but can’t decide on only one low-cost title suitable for a friend. Seems more like a secret WTB post.

Would you really miss Volcano or Fire! if one was loaned out to a friend for a few months?

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

There's some red-headed step-child Stern DMDs you've got better chance to find at that price. Nascar / Grand Prix is one I've found pinball newbs really enjoy. Roller Coaster Tycoon as well.
With a few exceptions, I've found newbs prefer DMDs over solid states / alphanumerics.

+1. You might be able to find a deal on a B/W dmd but chances are at that price it will need work. Not really a fan of the cheaper Data East/Sega pins. Same for the Gottlieb/Premier stuff. Ok I guess but you could do so much better with just a little higher budget. If you can find something like Nascar, Monopoly, or RCT at that price range definitely go for that. However, I think prices of those games have moved up as well.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It doesn’t make sense that you were able to find your games but can’t decide on only one low-cost title suitable for a friend. Seems more like a secret WTB post.
Would you really miss Volcano or Fire! if one was loaned out to a friend for a few months?

His friend I'm sure would be happy to pick GnR CE or MMR Le for $2500 I'm sure

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Swords of furry is awesome if you can find one

I think only a prototype was made of this game and immediately discontinued. It involved putting 2 cats inside the cabinet with the play field glass on top. Did not go over well with the ASPCA.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

+1. You might be able to find a deal on a B/W dmd but chances are at that price it will need work. Not really a fan of the cheaper Data East/Sega pins. Same for the Gottlieb/Premier stuff.

I would not recommend Gottlieb System 80/A/B to a newbie, they are challenging pins to keep running and troubleshoot.

People rag on Data East but the only issues I see consistently with them is GI connectors. Even then that is a 50/50 chance of an issue. My Williams Space Shuttle had the exact same issue as DE, the GI connector smoked on the power supply so this isn't just a DE issue.

A full LED lamp install, replace the crappy IDC 9 pin connectors on the power supply and PPB and you have a very reliable game. NVRAM is a snap, already socketed. The Data East MPU 1/2/3/4 is virtually the same as Williams System 11, indeed some of the DE3/4 boards can be swapped with 11C boards. If you can work on a System 11, you would be very comfortable working on a DE.

#97 2 years ago

I’ll say it again, this time with a pitch: Last Action Hero.
After falling off the cliff into the Hobby, if there was only 1 game I could have and that was my budget and I wasn’t the only one playing it, Last Action Hero.

This game is derivative of Adams Family in its rules, has lots of cool toys, a full topper, full Arnie Voice Acting, A dinosaur, moving crane, 6 ball multi-ball, 2 captive balls, 3 magnets, a DMD, A GIANT MOVING CRANE, and, above all, an UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL PICTURE OF “THE” ARNOLD SWARTZENEGGER!
The only reason the game is still a budget game is due to the “polarizing” art.
Look at all this stuff! They still go for under $2500 (1 on the market now).
If you are looking for your first pin and are on a $2500 budget, want something family friendly, and some neat stuff this is for you.
I got one of these as my first “fix up and sell” pin on a deal. Should have kept it longer. Here is some stuff from my old machine.

a (resized).jpga (resized).jpgb (resized).jpgb (resized).jpgc (resized).jpgc (resized).jpgd (resized).jpgd (resized).jpg
#98 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

After falling off the cliff into the Hobby, if there was only 1 game I could have and that was my budget and I wasn’t the only one playing it, Last Action Hero.
This game is derivative of Adams Family in its rules, has lots of cool toys, a full topper, full Arnie Voice Acting, A dinosaur, moving crane, 6 ball multi-ball, 2 captive balls, 3 magnets, a DMD, A GIANT MOVING CRANE, and, above all, an UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL PICTURE OF “THE” ARNOLD SWARTZENEGGER!
If you are looking for your first pin and are on a $2500 budget, want something family friendly, and some neat stuff this is for you.
I got one of these as my first “fix up and sell” pin on a deal. Should have kept it longer. Here is some stuff from my old machine.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

And there is updated coded that balances out the game and plays additional sound clips.

#99 2 years ago

I wouldn't recommend ANY pin in the $2500 range to a new buyer/owner. Too many variables to figure out.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I got one of these as my first “fix up and sell” pin on a deal. Should have kept it longer. Here is some stuff from my old machine.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

LAH is a great game but it is getting harder to find one at 2500. Seems like everyone now wants 3K or higher.

To the OP, you have been on Pinside for 9 years, own 41 games and write a pinball blog. I think you are completely qualified to suggest a game for your friend. Or even better, sell your LAH to him for 2500 with the stipulation you can buy it back for the same price later on. This way he has a nice starter game and you can get it back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 179.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/absolute-max-2500-best-game-for-newbie/page/2?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.