(Topic ID: 137141)

Abracadabra refuses to play ball 5. (formerly "F" relay stuck on)

By Arcade

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

Look on the switch stack on the backside of the Ball Count unit. The Zero position and 6th Position switches are there, and should both be closed during balls 1-5, then the 6th position should open when the Ball Count unit steps to Game Over (aka the 6th position).

If the 6th position switch is opening early (like on ball 5), then it probably behaves as described.

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

I keep forgetting to dig out my Abra schematic. Until now.

So the observable symptom is a pop bumper firing. If we start there and work backwards, then maybe the cause will be found.

Both pop bumpers are activated via separate switches on the B relay. So if both are activating, then that suggests B must be activating.

B is activated when either of the pop bumper spoon switches close. After it activates, there is a lock-in path via a switch on B itself, and both EOS switches on the pop bumpers.

The scoring path is also through a switch on B (which activates either the M or L points relays), and the chimes are activated by switches on M and L.

So here are the possibilities:
- One of the spoon switches is gapped too closely, and vibration is causing it to randomly close without the ball nearby.
- The lock-in switch on B is gapped too closely, and vibration is causing it to close, which reactivates B.
- There's a short elsewhere to the B relay.

To confirm which of these it might be, you could block either the spoon switches on the bumpers, or the lock-in switch on B, and see if the problem persists (if nothing obvious appears when inspecting the switches).

#24 8 years ago

Ah, I misunderstood your description then. Sounded like they would just start popping.

So there's a switch on B that feeds either the M or L relay, but which one depends on the mini stepper, "I". There's a switch there that rides on the cog (I think). I'd guess that B is firing OK, but the mini stepper is probably not stepping well enough to get the switch closed reliably. Then after enough hits it finally gets to a point where the switch can close.

I'd suggest checking/cleaning the mini stepper.

#30 8 years ago

Does that mean we get donuts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abracadabra-f-relay-always-on?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.