Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ibis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

So this game came to me non-working and it was pretty busted up. Its been completely shopped and all switches have been inspected/gaped/cleaned. Score reels have also been disassembled and cleaned. Once I had the game all put back together I did an initial start-up to work out any other closed contacts, bugs, or issues. First I added some credits manually as the coin mechs do not work. Then I plugged it in and I push the start button. Heres where it gets wonky....the game accepts the credit-boots-goes dark.... then takes another credit-boots, goes dark and....continues to do this until there are no more credits.

Ive never seen this before. If anyone has seen this symptom before, any help on where to inspect first would be greatly appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

when you say ot goes dark, you arent talking about a tilt , maybe with a tilt lite that isnt working?
By the way ,Merry Christmas and Happy Channukka [sic} my friend and to all here.

#3 1 year ago

There could be a too closely gapped tilt switch. When the drop targets re-set there is that louder 'Cha-Chunk'. That re-setting could be triggering the one tilt switches that put the game into tilt.

#4 1 year ago

Hey Weeze! Happy Holidays to you too! I guess when I say it 'goes dark', the game just keeps resetting. Heres something even weirder....if the ball isn't in the trough, it will do it ONE time. If the ball is in the trough, it repeats the reseting over an over.

As for the tilts, they should all be open correct? In other words, not making contact? I have seen some making contact like on the coin door.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

Hey Weeze! Happy Holidays to you too! I guess when I say it 'goes dark', the game just keeps resetting. Heres something even weirder....if the ball isn't in the trough, it will do it ONE time. If the ball is in the trough, it repeats the reseting over an over.
As for the tilts, they should all be open correct? In other words, not making contact? I have seen some making contact like on the coin door.

Bridge rectifiers? You knew you had that coming. LOL

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Bridge rectifiers? You knew you had that coming. LOL

LOL yes I did!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There could be a too closely gapped tilt switch. When the drop targets re-set there is that louder 'Cha-Chunk'. That re-setting could be triggering the one tilt switches that put the game into tilt.

I checked all the tilt switches. All are closed in the head, coin door, on the lower unit. Except for one on the play field which is open.

#8 1 year ago

How is the pendulum tilt and the ball roll switch? They should be open.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

How is the pendulum tilt and the ball roll switch? They should be open.

There is no pendulum, its missing. The ball roll tilt has no ball, Ill inspect if the actual switch is open or closed and report back tomorrow.

#10 1 year ago

When you reset the game, the Hold (R) relay should activate and stay on. Is it doing that?

#11 1 year ago

Conventional tilt switches are normally open; slam-tilt switches are normally closed. Relay R stays on through slam-tilt switches. You *do* have a schematic, don't you?
.................David Marston

#12 1 year ago

The hold relay R is NOT staying on.

All slam tilt switches are now closed(the one on the PF was not closed, it is now)
Roll ball tilt switch is open(not a slam tilt switch so I assume it is an open switch)

And yes I do have a schematic.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

All slam tilt switches are now closed(the one on the PF was not closed, it is now)
Roll ball tilt switch is open(not a slam tilt switch so I assume it is an open switch)
And yes I do have a schematic.

Playfield one should be open, coin door, motor board and backbox closed.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Playfield one should be open, coin door, motor board and backbox closed.

Ok, I gapped the slam tilt open on the PF and double checked that the motor board and backbox and coin door switches are closed. The roll ball tilt is also open. No change in the symptoms.

If this symptom is indicative of a tilt issue, should I just take all the tilts out of the equation? Ive never had this symptom before so I have little to add to the troubleshooting being discussed here.

#15 1 year ago

That certainly would determine if it is indeed a tilt circuit issue.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

Here's the circuit that should make the Hold (R) relay stay on.

Pinball (resized).png
#17 1 year ago

Howard, thanks for highlighting the circuit in question. I will take this and hunt this down in a few days, Im leaving on business tomorrow morning. I will be certain to report back as soon as I can! Thanks guys!

#18 1 year ago

Ok, I have an update.

I attached a clip on the slate/green side of coil R. If I follow the schematic, there is:
- continuity from there to both of the closed back box switches
- continuity to blue/white/red on the "T" lug
- continuity to the blue/white/red on the "R" lug
- continuity to the other side of "R" on the blue/white/red
- continuity to the closed motor board tilt switch
- continuity to the red/white coin door switch
- continuity to the red/yellow 15amp fuse

So, the R relay switch is showing continuity on the meter but according to the schematic its an open switch. So does this mean there is a short? All the lugs appear to have space between them.

#20 1 year ago

The schematic is showing the status of relays after resetting a game and pulling the plug. Are you checking continuity with the machine on? Is the relay adjusted?

#21 1 year ago

I am using alligator clips, one on my meter, the other on the point of contact.

The game is off when I am testing for continuity. Should I have the game on??

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

I am using alligator clips, one on my meter, the other on the point of contact.
The game is off when I am testing for continuity. Should I have the game on??

No, you are doing it correctly.

#23 1 year ago

So is it safe to say I have a short some where? There should be no continuity after the "R" switch on the schematic, correct?

#24 1 year ago

According to the schematic and what you are reporting, it appears that contacts of the R relay are closed when they should be open. Pull the small cotter pin on the relay, remove and examine it. If good, then check the wiring for a pinch or old repair.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

So is it safe to say I have a short some where? There should be no continuity after the "R" switch on the schematic, correct?

How many ohms are you seeing across the switch on the R relay? There are multiple paths that could provide continuity across that switch. Here is one of them.

Pinball (resized).png

#26 1 year ago

The "R" coil is reading 24.9 oHms

I must have done something cause I have nothing but backbox lights now and a hum on the motor board. Cant get it to cycle like it was doing earlier.

#27 1 year ago

But the coil on the coin door does activate when turned on.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

How many ohms are you seeing across the switch on the R relay?

Quoted from ibis:

The "R" coil is reading 24.9 oHms

That's not what I asked you.

Quoted from ibis:

Cant get it to cycle like it was doing earlier.

If the Replay Button doesn't activate the Start (S) relay, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).png
#29 1 year ago

Hi Howard, I tested the switch on "R" and it read a little over 25oHms.

Ill have to digest that next circuit you posted, I know where some of those items are, but not all of them. Ill report back when I can, got a lot of stuff going on the next few days due to the Holidays!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside