ACD 007.JPG
ACD 006.JPG
ACD 005.JPG
ACD 004.JPG
ACD 003.JPG
ACD 002.JPG
ACD 001.JPG
#1 9 years ago

With credits on game, press start button, start relay activates, hold relay pulls in, score motor makes a brief turn, score reels all reset, drop targets reset, ball count resets, bonus advance resets(bonus starts at 1000 or nothing?), play meter goes up, credit goes down...but won't eject ball and no score features work(score points) at all. If I manually press ball return relay it'll fire but the trough switch doesn't do anything(does not advance ball count). All lights working etc. Tightened switch stacks, cleaned any of the suspect relays. Any idea what I should be zeroing in on? Thanks

#2 9 years ago

I had similar issues with my Abra Ca Dabra and the culprit was the AX relay in the back box. They're just super tricky to get adjusted, have to be just right. I thought I had a switch bent so it was closed, but it turned out there was a microscopic gap. Bent it slightly more and everything suddenly was happy.

#3 9 years ago

Ax looks like it works to me, engages and releases...

#4 9 years ago

OK, not sure if this is the solution, but it IS another problem. The F Relay is MISSING the plate piece that the spring(also missing) attaches to...I'm sure that's easy to find

Anybody have an F Relay mini stepper unit that you want to get rid of in exchange for real money?

#5 9 years ago

Well, it's not the f-relay...I didn't think it would be it but tried swapping one from another game and it didn't help.

#6 9 years ago

I'm still too new to EMs to start giving you really great advice, but you might want to browse the thread I started recently:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-tech-abra-ca-dabra-wont-start

I had similar issues, and there's some really solid advice in there about the chain of sequences for startup and what to trace through.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

but won't eject ball and no score features work

Two separate, but likely related issues.

Nothing on the playfield will work until the Ball Count unit steps to Ball 1, and closes the zero position switch on the backside of the Bally Count unit.

Since the trough switch itself doesn't cause the Ball Count unit to step, that indicates the problem lies upstream.

And since the Ball Return relay isn't firing on its own, that also indicates the problem lies upstream.

As it turns out, both those paths share some switches in common. And those are:
- the 6th position switch on the Ball Count unit (needs to be closed; also is on the backside of the unit),
- a normally closed switch on AX (Red on one side, Slate+Red on the other),
- a normally closed switch at motor 2B, and
- a normally closed switch at motor 1C.

If any one of those four switches is open (gapped or dirty contacts), then you'll get the behavior you describe.

#8 9 years ago

I'm just saying, check your AX relay again. Clean it, check every contact carefully, they're tricky. Because I thought mine was working and checked too, but there was a just slightly gapped switch that messed things up.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I thought I had a switch bent so it was closed, but it turned out there was a microscopic gap. Bent it slightly more and everything suddenly was happy.

When setting a switch the adjustment should create enough contact to create a wiping action of the contacts. This keeps them clean. This is easy to do on a single action switch but with AX relays and others that use make/break switches it's a bit more tedious. None the less though after adjusting and when you're checking you should see the leaf move a wee bit when contact is made. This way you know for sure that contact is being made.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

- the 6th position switch on the Ball Count unit (needs to be closed; also is on the backside of the unit),
- a normally closed switch on AX (Red on one side, Slate+Red on the other),
- a normally closed switch at motor 2B, and
- a normally closed switch at motor 1C.

Went through the list--thanks for the info:

NC Motor 1C
ACD 001.JPGACD 001.JPG

NC Motor 2B
ACD 002.JPGACD 002.JPG

Ball Count Unit
ACD 003.JPGACD 003.JPG

AX Relay in the "I've already reset all the score reels and disengaged" mode plus other poses
ACD 004.JPGACD 004.JPG
ACD 005.JPGACD 005.JPG
ACD 006.JPGACD 006.JPG
ACD 007.JPGACD 007.JPG

I fiddled with the AX switch in question which caused the score reels to not reset at first--they were just going 1 "space", eventually got it back where the AX engages, score reels reset, AX disengages which was where I started. Basically looks like all but 1 switch are open, then all close and that 1 opens. Seems to me it's working fine--audible snap when it engages/disengages, all switches close with good contact...and I re-cleaned them.

Re-cleaned all the other switches in question and they appear to be in a good closed position.

#11 9 years ago

Is the one your showing as motor 2B sitting on a black lifter? Or is that the one above it? (can't quite tell from the picture angle.)

(I ask, because 2B would be at the level between the top and bottom score motor cams, and not on a dog bone lifter.)

Otherwise, maybe time to break out the jumper wires.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Is the one your showing as motor 2B sitting on a black lifter? Or is that the one above it? (can't quite tell from the picture angle.)

It's just the angle, it's on the between cam level--that black lifter is up 1 level.

#13 9 years ago

Not completely checked out on the jumper wires--I have them but beyond credit units for free play I haven't used them much. What to what should I be jumping? Thanks

#14 9 years ago

The jumper wire can be just across one switch pair, or from one side of one switch pair to the other side of a next switch pair in the same logic path. So for example, from one side of 2B to the other side of 1C, or from the 6th position ball count switch to the other side of AX, or all the way to 1C (need a long wire).

Since switches in the same logic path are both on the score motor board and in the backbox though, that means there's a jones plug involved as well. A bad connection there will behave as an open, and could also cause the issue. Could be a jones plug from the playfield (since the trough switch signal and the ball return switch signal have to come from there), or could be from the backbox because the 6th pos. ball count switch is there.

So could use a meter to check the signals across the jones plugs.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

or from the 6th position ball count switch to the other side of AX, or all the way to 1C

So, for example, I would connect jumper to tab on 6th position ball count switch and then to tab on the NC switch on AX? I used jumper to confirm all the closed switches are actually closed but I'm not sure where specifically to connect to check between the other potential trouble spots. For example what would I jumper to have the ball count advance--to make sure that coil will fire...

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I would connect jumper to tab on 6th position ball count switch and then to tab on the NC switch on AX?

Yep. Just on the back tabs. Jumpering along the path to the 'O' relay might be easier than the Ball Count unit, since 'O' is on the score motor board along with the motor switches.

But I'd still try testing continuity through the jones plugs first.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But I'd still try testing continuity through the jones plugs first.

So are you talking about continuity from say yellow wire on O relay(or whatever) to yellow wire plug end?

#18 9 years ago

The jones plugs have a female end that's screwed into the score motor board or in the backbox, and then a male end that's at the end of the cable harness. The signals have to pass through the connection made when the plug is installed in the receiving end.

So with the plugs installed, testing that there's continuity from where the wires are soldered on the tabs on the female side to where the wires come out on the male side is what I mean. If either side of the jones plug is corroded or dirty, continuity can be lost right there.

The signals involved in this particular path have to pass through a couple of these, so yes, seeing that the signal is able to get through from the female side of the plug to the male side is helpful.

With the plugs installed, you can just put one meter lead on the female tab, and the other lead on the hole on the backside of the male plug and check them all, going down one row at a time (for example).

#19 9 years ago

All the jones plugs check out....back to jumpers and re-checking switches I guess

#20 9 years ago

OK, here's another quick and simple test. If you manually activate the 'O' relay (press down on the armature plate), does it lock in and hold on its own while the score motor runs and tries to kick the ball out? Or after you manually press it down, does the armature plate just come back up?

If it locks in and holds, then that indicates that motor 2B, AX, and 6th pos. Ball Count switches are all working (along with the lock in switch on O), since that path must all be closed for the O relay to lock in. It will stay locked in until motor 2B opens. If the lock in is working, then that means the problem lies with motor 1C, or the outhole switch, or the jones plug from the playfield carrying the outhole switch signal.

If it doesn't lock in and hold though, then that indicates the problem is among motor 2B, AX, and the 6th pos. Ball Count switches (or jones plugs carry that signal).

This is easier to try than jumpering, and the Ball Count unit shares most of that same path. So it can be used to isolate which segment of the path has the open, and then use a jumper wire on that part of the path only to isolate exactly.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

OK, here's another quick and simple test. If you manually activate the 'O' relay (press down on the armature plate), does it lock in and hold on its own while the score motor runs and tries to kick the ball out? Or after you manually press it down, does the armature plate just come back up?

If I press in on the O relay and hold it the kicker will fire. If I just press it long enough to "get it going" it will cause the score motor rotate briefly but does not hold in long enough for kicker to fire...and there's a faint 1 second buzz on the AX right after it stops it's attempt.

#22 9 years ago

So, to recap, if I manually knock down some targets, increase bonus, increase the ball count unit by hand and change all the score reels...when I press start they all reset, reels, targets, bonus but then it just stops. So O seems to be the end point

#23 9 years ago

If the lock in path to 'O' is working, when you manually press the armature plate down (aka 'ladder stack'), then it should feel like the coil "grabs" it and holds it on its own for a full 1/3 rev of the score motor.

If pressing it doesn't get any hold action from the coil, then that means the lock in path has an open. So sounds like the open is among motor 2B, AX, and the 6th pos. Ball Count switches (or jones plugs carry that signal), or I guess possibly farther upstream from that.

The rest of the path would include the switch on the Hold relay (R), a normally closed switch on the Start relay (S), the bounce switch, and the fuse. But the game wouldn't be able to reset if the latter two weren't working.

The game could get through a reset if the switches on R and S were open though. Worth checking those too.

#24 9 years ago

in the AX picture above it looks like a broken tab to one of the switches. check it out

tab.JPGtab.JPG

(We hates reworking switch stacks!)

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

in the AX picture above it looks like a broken tab to one of the switches. check it out

(We hates reworking switch stacks!)

Or maybe two?

Good eye!

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If the lock in path to 'O' is working, when you manually press the armature plate down (aka 'ladder stack'), then it should feel like the coil "grabs" it and holds it on its own for a full 1/3 rev of the score motor.

If I press it, score motor rotates 1/3 but it does NOT lock in. If I press AND hold it, score motor rotates 1/3 and the kicker fires.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If pressing it doesn't get any hold action from the coil, then that means the lock in path has an open. So sounds like the open is among motor 2B, AX, and the 6th pos. Ball Count switches (or jones plugs carry that signal), or I guess possibly farther upstream from that.

Just rechecked with meter, continuity across closed switches 2B, AX, and Ball Count...all are closed.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The rest of the path would include the switch on the Hold relay (R), a normally closed switch on the Start relay (S)

The hold relay was a little sketchy. I worked on that yesterday, shortened the spring--it didn't have great action. I thought I had it working well. What's the proper action of the hold when I press start? Pull in and open the closed switches and close the open switches..right? Before I adjusted it the playfield lights came on when I turned game on, now they are off and come on when I press start if that means anything. Is there a particular switch(es) on that stack I should look at?

Which switch on start is NC?

I "assumed" start and hold were squared away since so much of the sequence worked...I could be way off though.

Probably unrelated future problem items to further confuse things: Before I messed with the O and Hold relays yesterday I could manually cycle the ball count through 5 balls and light up the 5 balls on ball count...now it seems like it's "stuck" on 3 ball, BUT it does light up Game Over and Match when I cycle through them which it didn't before.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I saw that when I took pic and just rechecked...they are "twisted" a bit so it's kind of an optical illusion. I checked with meter and they are solid.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What's the proper action of the hold when I press start? Pull in and open the closed switches and close the open switches..right?

Correct.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Before I adjusted it the playfield lights came on when I turned game on, now they are off and come on when I press start

Current behavior is now correct.

The normally open switch on R that is in the path to the Ball Count and O relays is RED-BLK on one side, and RED-GR on the other.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Which switch on start is NC?

RED-WH on one side and RED-BLK on the other.

#29 9 years ago

Went through Start and Hold and O for the 4th(5th?) time, tried the outhole switch just for kicks and it fired up! Start sequence completed. No idea which was the problem, but I'll concentrate on those if things go south again. I did move all the wires apart on those relays to double check all the tabs--is it possible something was shorting against another(couple of them had some exposed wire near ends)?

Ran through a few balls/games to check features. Some rollovers just "buzz" instead of sounding a chime, couple drops don't reset, knocker wasn't firing, drop/relay bank reset seems a little violent to me as well...

THEN when I was starting my 4th or 5th run through "game", the ball count coil went nuts when I hit start. Ear-splitting buzzing/shaking like it's seized up so I'm assuming that it's fried?

So I can't check anything out until I get a new coil(if that's the issue). I only have flipper coils on hand...I'm getting a PBR order ready. Wish I could've gone through it more so I know anything else I need.

Big thanks for narrowing it down for me...I was pulling what's left of my hair out.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

is it possible something was shorting against another

Unlikely, since the issue was due to an open, not a short. And if the Ball Count started working, then it wasn't the 'O' relay switches. That suggests the issue was either Start or Hold.

Coils make a loud buzzing sound when the circuit feeding them doesn't open up and de-energize them. Doesn't mean the coil's fried (it would need to stay on solid for a few minutes first).

Check the Ball Count unit manually to make sure it can still step up and down OK. If the ball trough switch got stuck closed, then it would keep the "add ball count" solenoid on solid (and it makes the loud buzzing). So check the trough switch to make sure it's opening too.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

So check the trough switch to make sure it's opening too.

Exactly the issue. Thanks again.

The 1 2 3 4 rollovers score correctly but when the switch is engaged there is an audible zzzzt sound coming from the 1 2 3 4 relay bank. Happens anytime you engage the switch--lit or unlit. If I hold down a rollover, it stays buzzing. Everything looks in order visually on that hard to see area. Screws on the bottom of all the coils appear tight...in case it was a loose coil.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

The 1 2 3 4 rollovers score correctly but when the switch is engaged there is an audible zzzzt sound coming from the 1 2 3 4 relay bank.

As far as I can tell that's normal, my machine does that too.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As far as I can tell that's normal, my machine does that too.

Really? If you hold down a rollover it continues to buzz?

I have a flip a card that was doing a similar thing and somewhere in cleaning it up I solved it...but I don't know how.

#34 9 years ago

The four rollovers feed the 1B, 2B, 3B, and 4B relays, which in turn feed the series relay, Q. Could be Q that's buzzing with its armature plate. Some cleaning of it might help. Or it could have a wrong spring, wrong coil, other possibilities.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Could be Q that's buzzing with its armature plate.

Checked Q, seems fine--it's the relay bank 1234 that buzzes, you can feel all the coils vibrating when you hold down 1 rollover.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Really? If you hold down a rollover it continues to buzz?
I have a flip a card that was doing a similar thing and somewhere in cleaning it up I solved it...but I don't know how.

Yeah, if a ball happens to stop on top of a rollover for some reason it keeps buzzing. I just assumed it was normal, if it's not I'd be happy to work on fixing it.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Checked Q, seems fine--it's the relay bank 1234 that buzzes, you can feel all the coils vibrating when you hold down 1 rollover.

Any rollover, or specifically for #1? If just for #1, then could be the armature plate on the 1B relay buzzing.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Any rollover, or specifically for #1? If just for #1, then could be the armature plate on the 1B relay buzzing.

Every rollover...all 4 on top, all 4 on bottom. They score the 500 fine, but all buzz the relay bank when you hold them down...

#39 9 years ago

Any other Abra Ca Dabra owners want to weigh in whether or not this buzz is normal game operation?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Any other Abra Ca Dabra owners want to weigh in whether or not this buzz is normal game operation?

I'd be curious to hear too. My Sky Jump buzzes on roll over also, I just assumed it was normal. But these are the only EMs I've owned so far.

2 years later
#41 6 years ago

I had this same symptoms after my ACD sat used for a couple years. Cleaning the contacts on the ball count unit in the head fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-startup-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.