You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 3 (2).JPG
acdflips.jpg
Abra3_5.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I picked up an ACD but it didn't come with a manual. Some of the backbox settings for replay's, extra ball etc are listed on a card in the backbox, but I want to change it from 3 ball to 5 ball. Up until this machine, I only had William's EM's, can someone please tell me where to adjust this. Also, please PM me if you have a copy of the manual. Thank you.

#2 9 years ago

3/5 ball settings are a jones plug on the motor board...

#3 9 years ago

Pinball Resource (pbresource.com) has the operator manual and schematic (and just down the road in Poughkeepsie).

There is no extra ball feature on Abra.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

Ahh, I was looking in the backbox and inside the coin door. Thanks!

I wasn't sure about the extra ball. Guess this machine is illegal here in NY lol, We're a NO REPLAY state..I think..

What's the best way to set a Gottlieb to free play, right now I have a quarter I keep inside the coin door On the Williams I just put a lead clip on the switch on the credit unit.

#5 9 years ago

reminds me of when i brought my first wms home, i couldn't figure out how to get the bg out...

free play... permanently close the zero position switch on the credit wheel...

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Ahh, I was looking in the backbox and inside the coin door. Thanks!
I wasn't sure about the extra ball. Guess this machine is illegal here in NY lol, We're a NO REPLAY state..I think..
What's the best way to set a Gottlieb to free play, right now I have a quarter I keep inside the coin door On the Williams I just put a lead clip on the switch on the credit unit.

Same thing
Go to the credit unit and close the switch that makes the mmachine think there are still credits on it

#7 9 years ago

Or use a jumper on credit...don't have to bend things up then,either way...though I think you need 2 switches jumped on the half moon to get the light to stay on. It's been a while since I did it.

#8 9 years ago

Ahh just use coins-its the real thing!!!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Ahh just use coins-its the real thing!!!

I actually like using coins but most of my William's EM's have molested coin doors. It makes the replay's and match's more fun. I would get home from work, drop 1 coin in, and see how long I could play. When I ran out of credits, I was done for the day on that machine. Kids really like the using the coins, my nephews would put coins in when it was on free play, I'd tell them that they didn't need coins but they said they didn't care, they liked putting them in.

Maybe I'll leave the coin's on ACD, but not until I change it to 5 ball, game is a rip off on 3 ball, lol

#10 9 years ago

i'm the same as you and your nephews... mine are modded for free play, but i put quarters in them anyway when the credit reel reads "0"... it's more fun that way...

i tumble the quarters too so they are shiny and clean...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i'm the same as you and your nephews... mine are modded for free play, but i put quarters in them anyway when the credit reel reads "0"... it's more fun that way...
i tumble the quarters too so they are shiny and clean...

It might seem a bit odd to some but since I have re-established the coin mechs on my machines and used coins it just feels so much better and I find friends value the whole experience so much better (I provide the coins) and it gives more oomph to winning replays. Tumbling the coins though I had not done that but I will join you ccotenj

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

I'm shopping an ACD right now and was working on the playfield out of the game last night and could have sworn the 3/5 ball adjustment jones plug was on the bottom side of the playfield. The game I'm working on is a sample game but I can't imagine they would have changed it in the production version.

I'll have to look again tonight.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I'm shopping an ACD right now and was working on the playfield out of the game last night and could have sworn the 3/5 ball adjustment jones plug was on the bottom side of the playfield. The game I'm working on is a sample game but I can't imagine they would have changed it in the production version.
I'll have to look again tonight.

it's entirely possible that i am incorrect...

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Yeah, that's my memory too actually, but I'm feeling too lazy to pop the glass on my Abra Ca Dabra to check. That and I have a cat on my lap, and I'm not feeling heartless enough to kick her off. But I thought it was on the bottom on the playfield, towards the bottom left side when you have it raised.

#15 9 years ago

Ok, you happy people. The Installation and Game Operation Instruction booklet reads that the 3 or 5 ball adjustment is on the "Playboard".

On the underside, hopefully that little white tag is still stuck onto the grayside of the playfield.

#16 9 years ago

Yes, it's on the underside of the playfield, towards the back:

Abra Ca Dabra 3/5 Ball Adjustment Jones PlugAbra Ca Dabra 3/5 Ball Adjustment Jones Plug

#18 9 years ago

i stand corrected...

#19 9 years ago

By bottom left I did of course mean top right.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yes, it's on the underside of the playfield, towards the back:

Abra Ca Dabra 3/5 Ball Adjustment Jones Plug

Abra3_5.jpg 163 KB

Thanks!

There is a 3 or 5 ball setting on the bottom board near the score motor but I think that's for the coin slots. I'll check under the playfield next time I have the glass off. It also says that it will allow the 2 and 3 rollover lanes to be independant.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

There is a 3 or 5 ball setting on the bottom board near the score motor but I think that's for the coin slots.

Those adjustment plugs are for setting how the left and right coin chutes behave, and how many credits per coin. They don't affect the 3/5 ball setting.

#22 9 years ago

I got back to this the other night, got is switched to 5 ball, I like it better, doesn't seem easier or harder, just different. Thanks for all the help.

Does this look ok?
acdflips.jpgacdflips.jpg

Here's a bonus pic of my EM's, Still need to setup Aztec. It appears I have the Aztec legs on ACD, the height seems right, Not sure if I'd want the 31 inch legs on it, seems like it would be too tall. what do you think?

photo 3 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

Edit: Man, those are dark, sorry about that.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Does this look ok?

Great game!

FWIW: Based on input that I personally received from a highly respected Gottlieb EM game restorer when I started out in the hobby, your flipper angle should be a little steeper. The bottom edge of the flippers should be slightly raised above being parallel with the playfield rails beneath them. Hopefully, this makes sense.

#24 9 years ago

Thanks, it seemed like they were a little too high. It's already tough to cradle a ball on this game, but I'd prefer to play it as intended.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Great game!
FWIW: Based on input that I personally received from a highly respected Gottlieb EM game restorer when I started out in the hobby, your flipper angle should be a little steeper. The bottom edge of the flippers should be slightly raised above being parallel with the playfield rails beneath them. Hopefully, this makes sense.

Not sure if you are saying what I'm thinking.

I heard it that the centerline of the flipper body should be parallel with the line of the in-lane wire form feeding the flipper.

For this example the lower tips of the flippers should be adjusted a bit lower.

#26 9 years ago

What is the purpose of the wires below the flippers? prevent death saves?

#27 9 years ago

1975 was the last year of the 31 inch legs on Gottliebs. I would find it weird to not have 31" legs on an Abracadabra.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

What is the purpose of the wires below the flippers? prevent death saves?

Also to cut down the amount of balls bouncing back into play off of the apron.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Not sure if you are saying what I'm thinking.
I heard it that the centerline of the flipper body should be parallel with the line of the in-lane wire form feeding the flipper.
For this example the lower tips of the flippers should be adjusted a bit lower.

A different guideline, but apparently aims for the same result as that's what I was trying to convey - the tips of the flippers should be slightly lower than in the photo. Thanks!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

1975 was the last year of the 31 inch legs on Gottliebs. I would find it weird to not have 31" legs on an Abracadabra.

Yea, I wasn't paying attention when I loaded and unloaded and put the Williams legs on the ACD, I'm going to switch them tomorrow.

Going the fire the Aztec up tomorrow, should be fun

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Thanks, it seemed like they were a little too high. It's already tough to cradle a ball on this game, but I'd prefer to play it as intended.

I lowered the flippers on my Team One (rich man's abra ) to be in line with the lower wire and it is sooo much more natural of a feel. It had to be meant this way. Changed the way I feel about the game immensely.

#32 9 years ago

I do like backhanding the 4 lane

#33 9 years ago

...and hitting the lower drop with the opposite flipper is now an achievable goal for me. Actually all the shots seem to flow more smoothly, like that was the plan.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.