Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The 1 2 3 4 rollovers score correctly but when the switch is engaged there is an audible zzzzt sound coming from the 1 2 3 4 relay bank. Happens anytime you engage the switch--lit or unlit. If I hold down a rollover, it stays buzzing. Screws on the bottom of all the coils appear tight...in case it was a loose coil. Whole relay bank buzzes no matter which rollover you press...seems like whole bank vibrates. Doesn't appear that any of the armature plates are out of wack. Can't seem to pin down any specific area on the relay bank that the sound comes from...

Normal?

#2 9 years ago

Checked today, mine does that as well and everything is adjusted correctly.

#3 9 years ago

You can hear it in this video as well at 54 seconds in.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

Checked today, mine does that as well and everything is adjusted correctly.

Thanks for checking. If that's the consensus I'll live with it...seems odd though. Usually a rollover scores once and if you hold it down it's silent..right?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

and if you hold it down it's silent..right?

Not so much. The rollover switch is normally open, and so acts as the 'lock in' switch for whatever the related relay is. When stuck closed, the relay is stuck on, and the armature plate is pulled in. But with the switch blade and spring tension working against it, and being AC, there will be a buzz. The buzz will be louder the more worn out things get (coil windings, indentation in armature plate). And the coil is getting hot during this time too.

That's why when there's a stuck switch there's a corresponding loud buzz as a clue that there's a stuck coil (and thus a stuck switch). They just buzz.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

That's why when there's a stuck switch there's a corresponding loud buzz as a clue that there's a stuck coil (and thus a stuck switch). They just buzz.

I had checked my other games to compare and there is a slight sound you can hear with the glass off...but on ACD it's audible easily through glass--has to be 5 times as loud as any other rollover. I'll just consider it a really terrible sounding chime in the future I guess. Thanks either way. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to fix.

#7 9 years ago

I noted this in your other thread, but just to collect all the data in one place, my Abra Ca Dabra rollovers buzz audibly too.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I had checked my other games to compare and there is a slight sound you can hear with the glass off...but on ACD it's audible easily through glass--has to be 5 times as loud as any other rollover. I'll just consider it a really terrible sounding chime in the future I guess. Thanks either way. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to fix.

One thing to note is whether the other ones are daisy-chained relays or not, and whether they're in a relay bank or not. These particular relays are 'series' relays, so have another relay 'behind' them in series (e.g., when 1B trips, the series relay also fires). These series relays are also on a relay bank, so there's also more sympathetic vibration opportunity from the bar and bracket.

Other rollover relays sometimes are just standalone, such that they're the only thing that can be active if the rollover switch is held.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

daisy-chained relays

That's what I figured--4 coils in a row...seems like the whole bank vibrates when 1 is active.

#10 9 years ago

Any other ACD owners want to weigh in on this? I know a "couple" people on here have one...

#11 9 years ago

My ACD buzzes. My SweatHearts buzzes. My Kings and Queens buzzes. thats Gottlieb for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-rollovers-bzzzzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.