DSCN1417 (1) (resized).JPG
acd (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Going over the score motor board of my ACD and found this label that says that this is the "Add Replay Unit". But this makes no sense to me since it's an increment and reset stepper. Also found switches bent together like this. What am I missing here? Is this the add bonus unit?

(thanks for helping the newb)

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

You are correct; that is the Bonus Unit.

Those bent switches, you’ll want to straighten them out.

#3 6 years ago

On your schematic the Bonus Unit diagram info is in many locations. 8G shows part of the stepper. 3B the part for the inserts. 5E. 13E has the Add 'Bonus unit', and Reset 'Bonus unit' wiring.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for confirming leckmeck - incorrect label like this threw me so wanted to check.

Darcy, thanks - looking at these locations and this helps.

One thing I noticed on this bonus stepper is that top and right fingers are not soldered but rather just loosely threaded through holes. This can't be a good way to maintain a solid connection right?

So wondering if you could confirm that these should be soldered onto fingers. Could you post a pic of yours so I can get this right? (many thanks again from me and my future - hah someday - working ACD)

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So wondering if you could confirm that these should be soldered onto fingers. Could you post a pic of yours so I can get this right?

Do not think I need to post a photo. That wire threaded through, looks a lot newer than the wire that is soldered to the tab. Remember to leave enough slack in the new wire, so the contacts can move independently. Looks like the old wire is just twisted into that new piece of wire. Warm up your soldering gun. But if you want I can post a photo at around 1PM today.

#6 6 years ago

Ok, will solder those on. Thanks.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Ok, will solder those on. Thanks.

My Abra Ca Dabra is in the back row of my restoration queue, so I cannot confirm this hunch: that braid wire should not be jumping across the 24-volt and 6-volt circuits. I think. Can anybody else confirm my thinking here?

acd (resized).jpgacd (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

The two stepper shoe contacts are soldered together with enough wire to allow for movement. The single outside contact has the long wire to the ground tab.
DSCN1417 (1) (resized).JPGDSCN1417 (1) (resized).JPG

The photo I sent to Spinal yesterday was from a bad angle. This should clear everything up.

#9 6 years ago

Hunch confirmed. Thanks.

#10 6 years ago

Switch should look like this.

IMG_9529 (resized).jpgIMG_9529 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Thanks Darcy for the pic - yes all clear now! Also thanks to leckmeck and Playdium for your posts. Man, I'm really glad I asked this as wiring was completely wrong! The more I go through this machine the more it's clear I have to go over everything in detail - another pin sold to me as "100% working" - sheesh!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-replay-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.