image-209.jpg
image-257.jpg
image.jpg
mousehunt_2454983b.jpg
Willard12-2.jpg
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have the chance to buy this, it is buried in a warehouse and in pretty decent shape cosmetically. I'm torn because I have never played this title, and generally like 60's small flipper games, with a few exceptions. So not really a title on my want list, and would consume my pinball budget for a while. Obviously from the pics there was a mouse in it at some point, so I will have to open it up and make sure there is not damage to wiring, but he claims there is not. I took these pics when i was there a few months ago, and will have an opportunity to see it again on Monday. He did not seem too interested in selling it at the time, but now he does. The guy priced all of his stuff pretty high, but this one seems somewhat reasonable at $795. Before suggesting to offer less, he has been very firm on every price. Thoughts?

IMG_2589.JPGIMG_2589.JPG IMG_2591.JPGIMG_2591.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Great game. Not a horrible price for a decent one, but that photo isn't exactly screaming confidence ...

The reds are often really faded on the backglass, and this doesn't have that issue, so that's a help.

#3 9 years ago

I paid $1000.00 for mine and it still needs work but that did not include mice......so maybe yours would be worth more?

Great Gameplay, Art, and Ruleset by the way.

Ken

#4 9 years ago

Definitely look for chewed up wiring harnesses. That was a mouse house, and I'm guessing under the playfield is trashed. If not, I'd grab it. Slightly overrated, but a very good game.

#5 9 years ago

I too, would be a bit worried about the mouse nest. Wire harness damage as well as possible urine stains that bring up the paint.

Back glass isn't too bad from the looks of it. Sponge rubber damage (faded rectangle), and flicking paint in the red of the wizard. For $800, I would want to see inside first.

#6 9 years ago

Let's not forget the worst part, that playfield and cab are going to be drenched in mouse piss which stinks and isn't healthy. So, you've got some heavy cleaning ahead.

#7 9 years ago

I will find out for sure on Monday about the inside of game and report back. But if its not too bad inside, $800 seems fair? In person, that playfield is pretty darn nice. Just not sure if i want to fork out $800 for a game that I don't know if I will like. He has a Doodle Bug too for $100 less, but that even seems like a lot.
I have another game in the to-be-restored pile (Williams Jungle) that had mice living in it, not too much work to repair the chewed wires, but the urine stains inside the cabinet will need to be painted over with killz or something. I would not have passed on that one because I REALLY wanted it and its pretty rare. But I don't know on this one.

#8 9 years ago

Hey McHale, wanna play some pinball?

Willard12-2.jpgWillard12-2.jpg

#9 9 years ago

How I envision myself working on the game...

mousehunt_2454983b.jpgmousehunt_2454983b.jpg

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

I have the chance to buy this, it is buried in a warehouse and in pretty decent shape cosmetically.

I'd pass on that game....the mouse thing bothers me and is a beast to get cleaned up etc..Priced way too high in that condition.Looks like its to been sitting for many years.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

I will find out for sure on Monday about the inside of game and report back. But if its not too bad inside, $800 seems fair? In person, that playfield is pretty darn nice. Just not sure if i want to fork out $800 for a game that I don't know if I will like.

If the condition isn't an issue it's fair. But use that mouse to negotiate for sure, and walk if it seems like a real issue, not worth it in that case.

As for the game, I really like it. It's an EM, so the rules aren't complicated, hit the drops, light the lanes, reset the center target. Slings rotate the light for the drops to give bonus, pops light for 1000 off the slings and hits. But the beauty of it is all shots are available from the flippers, even the top lanes. So you never feel like you have to hope for a random event. Everything is under your control.

Definitely one of those games where you want to press start again because you were *that* close to rolling it if you could have just hit that one last target before draining.

#12 9 years ago

Abra Ca Dabra is loads of fun, but $800 is not a good price for a project with potential rodent damage. If you're willing to wait, you can find a clean and working ACD for roughly the same amount.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going there to look at some other stuff anyhow so Ill report back. I'm leaning towards not buying it, Its really more than I want to spend on it. Vic, the game, especially the playfield, looks pretty good in person. The idea of a mouse being in there at some point does not bother me enough to not buy it, as I clean every single inch of the machine anyhow, but if it turns out to be nibble damaged/gross inside its staying there. I guess Ive spent enough time digging through barns and storage areas to be somewhat callused to mice having made a home in things. I just make sure to remove the evidence before the wife sees it...

#14 9 years ago

Actually an awesome game, I restore cabinets and urine is the single biggest killer for me. Heres the thing most people forget, after 5-10 mins in even the stinkiest of places your senses adjust and you don't notice it as much. Most likely that whole place has a stank to it so lifting the playfield and taking a whiff will mean absolutley nothing. Now once you get it home and put it up in your not so smelly garage and you get a day or two of some rain? I've put games in the garage after a night of negotiating just to wake up the next morning fling open the garage door and have my eyes water.

Good luck, but believe me soaked in urine stink can take a LONG time to get rid of and I've had some I just had to chuck because I just couldnt get the stank out.

#15 9 years ago

The rear panel on an Abra Ca Dabra cabinet is made from a MDF type of wood. It is prone to swelling and falling apart if it gets to wet. Check that area as well.

#16 9 years ago

The PF looks excellent. In regards to rat piss. Reminds me of a trick my Dad uses. He had a pile of lumber infested with rats, worms, ants and other rodents pissing away in a stuffy shed for years. He got a hold of a huge plastic bag, loaded the wood in the bag and threw in a crap load of germ, scent, pest smoke bombs. Sealed the bag air tight and let it sit for a few months. That stinky lumber is now the wood paneling for our cabin. The bugs made really interesting textures to the panels and the stank is gone.

#17 9 years ago

$800 is what I would sell a fully shopped Abra for. I love the game and I turned down one that was in better shape than that for $500 last spring. And there are hardly any games where I'm at. Magic 8 ball says try again later. Offer him $300.

#18 9 years ago

Abra is one of the best players from the 70's.

I think if the playfield is salvageable with no staining from mice piss (maybe just needs a little touch up) and the bg isn't flaked much (and you don't have to buy a repro) along with the cabinet being good I would pay between $600 - $800 for it - especially if the playfield is as good as you say.

Good luck!

#19 9 years ago

I thought that was the rats nest mod!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from mikeincali:

I thought that was the rats nest mod!

That's for Mousin' Around!

#21 9 years ago

$500 tops as it sits, assuming the mice just 'visited' and didn't make a bigger mess (that's not a very big mess for a long-term stay as pictured). The stain trail from the left bonus rollover down to the left flipper is a concern at least.

Check the playmeter too. If it's a "low play, put away" example, the effort could be worth it.

#22 9 years ago

If nothing else, it was worth posting the pics for the comments alone. ill get a good look monday and worst case scenario ill have more pics to post for comment. Best case i make him an offer, but as i said his prices have been firm. He has alot of collectables all in sub par condition and sky high prices, so there it has sat all these years and there it shall continue to sit. Im probably passing on this one.

#23 9 years ago

800 is way to high for a game that prob has a lot of mouse damage. The PF and BG look in pretty good shape but not perfect. I would go like HALF that based on what I see. Heck, the mice might still be living in there!

I'm sure he thinks he is on a gold mine1!

#24 9 years ago

I would have to agree with agodfrey. I got mine for $800.00....and all shopped out, backglass a 7, playing field a 9, and all working. Didn't have to do a thing to it.

$400-500 seems fair.

#25 9 years ago

400-500 from the pictures posted. 500-650 player condition (7 player condition) 650-750 (8 playfield and backglass) 750-900 (9 playfield and backglass) Restored or survivor looks like it came out of the box in 1975 condition...price varies 1200-1400ish. I paid 950 for mine and sold mine 800 dollars to empinman. He says he paid 1000 dollars only because I stored it for 6-7 months for 200 dollars extra. My playfield was a 9, backglass was a faded non flaking 8-9, cab was a 7. Legs, coin door etc were painted gun metal grey. The pin has 18,000 plays but was stored for 25 years easily.

#26 9 years ago

Didn't make it there today, ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the input.

1 week later
#27 9 years ago

Inside game had no evidence of mouse damage. Of course a few droppings fell inside game when i lifted playfield, but it was pretty nice inside. No foul smell or chewed anything. Back door missing, back panel (fiberboard as earlier stated) is damaged and would need replaced as shown in pic. All moot points because i offered him 600 and he politely refused. I thought that was a fair offer.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-257.jpgimage-257.jpg image-209.jpgimage-209.jpg image-73.jpgimage-73.jpg
#28 9 years ago

How did the pf and bg look?

#29 9 years ago

$600 is what you should pay for a fully working machine.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

All moot points because i offered him 600 and he politely refused. I thought that was a fair offer.

There'll be another one, gotta be happy with your purchase.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

How did the pf and bg look?

Playfield other than above pic was very nice. One cracked bumper cap, two lower plastics corner broken as shown in pic. Its not bad overall imo, but i offered the absolute most i wanted to pay. He has my number if he changes his mind.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Abra Ca Dabra is loads of fun, but $800 is not a good price for a project with potential rodent damage. If you're willing to wait, you can find a clean and working ACD for roughly the same amount.

Agree with the above. In fact, I wouldn't even pay that much, but what I really wanted to mention to you is that Ron Webb just added this glass to his inventory. As usually the case, this increases the supply of nice examples, (vs. demand), and lowers the price. Be patient for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.