PlayFieldBottomLabeled (resized).JPG
IMG_8908 copy (resized).jpg
IMG-2677 (resized).JPG
decagon-missing (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
centyer (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi,

My recently aquired Abra Ca Dabra is acting up a bit. When I first got it the drop targets were dirty and gunky, so I decided to clean them. When I reinstalled the assemblies, a problem had developed.

As you probably know, Abra Ca Dabra has two times five drop target banks. Upon game start the targets reset just fine, and the problem only occurs in-game. On five balls, when you drop all targets, the centre target is lit, and when you hit that the banks are supposed to reset - but now they do not. The centre target becomes lit, so I guess that all drop target switches register. Besides, I have checked all switch gaps on both assemblies and the centre target , made sure that there are no shorts on the switches and checked the relevant fuses.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. This is the first EM I am working on, and I am eager to learn.

Best,
Archieball

#2 6 years ago

Did some more probing around on this. Changed a dodgy fuse holder for the target bank fuse, but to no avail.
To break it down a bit:

- when a game is started, the drop targets all reset
- all the switches on the target banks check out as well adjusted.
- dropping all the targets lites the centre target and hitting it registers the score
- both switches on the centre target are correctly adjusted
- hitting the centre target does NOT trigger the reset of the drop targets. The motor does not kick in it seems, even though the manual and schems say that it should. As far as I can tell, as I am pretty new at reading schematics.

Any thoughts, guys?

#3 6 years ago

The start reset is much more simplified. The in game reset *may* be a switch on a trip bank? (haven't owned one for many years, though missed). Follow the drop targets completed circuit. Check any switches in that path (trip bank, motor, etc.) If that doesn't work, try a jumper wire past those switches and eliminate them one at a time. Great game, you'll get it running properly.

#4 6 years ago

post a scan of the bank reset section and target, and I can help you trouble shoot. Have a long alligator jumper handy.

#5 6 years ago

My lurker buddy sent me a snipit of the diagram.. On the drop target banks there is a switch that closes to signify all targets down on each bank. You'll note for 5 ball they are in series. Chances are one of these switches is dirty... is C relay firing?

Ken

centyer (resized).JPGcentyer (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

There's a part missing from that schematic that may be important

An easy way to check the bank sequence switches would be to put the game in 3 ball mode and then see which banks reset when the centre target is hit.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

Thanks a lot guys! Good input here. I will get back to you when I get some testing done. Most likely tonight.

I did indeed change the jones plug from three to five balls before the problem manifested. We might be onto something here!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

An easy way to check the bank sequence switches would be to put the game in 3 ball mode and then see which banks reset when the centre target is hit.

Quoted from Archieball:

I did indeed change the jones plug from three to five balls before the problem manifested. We might be onto something here!

ACD when set on 3 Ball. It will light the centre target when only 1 drop target bank has been dropped. On 5 Ball, all 10 targets have to be dropped, to light the centre Bonus light.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

ACD when set on 3 Ball. It will light the centre target when only 1 drop target bank has been dropped. On 5 Ball, all 10 targets have to be dropped, to light the centre Bonus light.

I guess I wasn't clear in my explanation

To quickly check the sequence switches and other associated circuitry

In 3 ball mode:
- knock all left targets down and then hit centre target - do they reset?
- knock all right targets down and then hit centre switch - do they reset?

#10 6 years ago

Good news!. By changing the game back to three ball mode I managed to track down the switch that was the culprit. It was a matter of micromillimeters, but there was that one switch that did not touch when the target dropped. Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

I am not out of the woods yet though. I have been so focused on finding the fault that I haven't noticed that the game scoring is all wrong. Whenever I drop a target it scores 1000 instead of the prescribed 500. The same seems to apply for the rollovers. Should I be looking at the score motor next perhaps? Any input most welcome.

#11 6 years ago

I had the same problem with a different machine. I believe it was a combination of mis-adjusted score reel switches and the 500 point relay.

#12 6 years ago

Oki, thanks Playdium ! Seems I have some serious cleaning of the machine and reading up to do before determining whether this really is a fault or just down to dirty or misaligned switches.

I have one last n00b question though. I noticed that only three of the four score reels have an additional plate with contact points on it. The plate says Decagon. The reel in the 100 spot is missing this plate, and I am not sure if it should be this way. Is this related to my problem of getting 1000 points when I should get 500? Or does it have something to do with the match? What is this plate called in the schematics?

Thanks a lot!

decagon-missing (resized).pngdecagon-missing (resized).png

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

I noticed that only three of the four score reels have an additional plate with contact points on it. The plate says Decagon. The reel in the 100 spot is missing this plate, and I am not sure if it should be this way. Is this related to my problem of getting 1000 points when I should get 500? Or does it have something to do with the match? What is this plate called in the schematics?

The 10,000 and 1000 need that plate to award replays for score. The 10 needs that plate for to award replays for match.

The plate is called "Tens Unit" or "Thousands Unit" on the schematic.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Whenever I drop a target it scores 1000 instead of the prescribed 500. The same seems to apply for the rollovers. Should I be looking at the score motor next perhaps? Any input most welcome.

Does it score 500 + 500 or just increment the 1000 reel?

#16 6 years ago

Ah, ok, thanks HowardR - that explains it. All is good then.

@woz: it just increments the 1000 reel. No action on the 100's reel. The playfield is dotted with switches that should score 500, both on the drop targets and the rollovers, but they all score a straight 1000. Only the L relay fires as far as I can tell, and according to the schems that has to do with the 10.000 and 1000.

#17 6 years ago

Does the G relay operate at all?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Does the G relay operate at all?

Yes, @woz, the G relay does operate.

Trying hard to get my head around the schematics here, but it is really a first for me so bear with me here. Am I right in looking for some sort of interaction between the 500 point switches and the L relay? Looking at the schems I can't really see any.

I made a video of the problem:

On a sidenote, where is the I-relay disc? If it is the one close to the chime unit, it does seem a bit maladjusted, with the fingers just barely hitting the contact points. It does seem recently lubed, so it might be the previous owner who has done it. Is the outer finger supposed to touch the first contact point in the first position here, or is it (like the ball count unit) starting somewhere else/outside?

This is the first position:
IMG-2677 (resized).JPGIMG-2677 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

No sound on the video

Does the motor run when you hit the rollovers/targets?

Does the E relay operate as well? or any other relays for that matter.

That's the "Bonus Unit" and it does look as if it needs realignment.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Is the outer finger supposed to touch the first contact point

That outer finger, in your photo, it appears that the wire has fallen off. It could just be your camera angle.

#21 6 years ago

Adjust the wiper by loosening these 3 screws.

IMG_8908 copy (resized).jpgIMG_8908 copy (resized).jpg

(This is the ball count unit, but same method applies.)

#22 6 years ago

The I relay (Bumper/Target Stepper) is just to the left of the 5000 point bonus light on the underside of the playfield

PlayFieldBottomLabeled (resized).JPGPlayFieldBottomLabeled (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

On a sidenote, where is the I-relay disc?

Here is a picture of an "AS" relay which is what the "I" relay is for Abra. These sometimes get badly worn and burned out between each field. When disassembling, take a soft cloth with a tiny bit of a brass/copper cleaner that you can find in the super market, to polish the circuit board contacts.
There are many threads on "AS" relay rebuilding here.

IMG_6540 (resized).jpgIMG_6540 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Based on what you write, I will do the following this evening (morning to you guys I guess):

- Make a new video (with sound) where I take special note of the motor and the E relay.
- Re-align the bonus score unit. @woz, can you please provide me with a picture of the starting position? Unless it looks correct in my picture. Playdium : I tried to adjust it using the allen screws, but I did not have much luck. Will try with the help of the screws you point to.

#25 6 years ago

First of all, woz : here is the video with sound (Do forgive the kids playing Smash Bros. on the WiiU in the background. They'll come around. ). As you can see, the advance bonus relay fires alongside the 500 relay (is it supposed to do that?). The score motor runs. One chime - I guess the 1000 one, well... chimes. In the back box the L relay fires on the 1000 reel.

I got a tip that I should try to trigger the 500 relay manually. Doing that scored 1000 points. My very uneducated guess there is something up with the 500 relay so I went on to test. And right you are, one of the switches reads always closed/short, even when I manually open it. The short is not on the switch even though the lugs seem close in my picture. The only place in the schematics where I find corresponding wire colours is on the attached picture. And this is where my brain melts. Can you guys see anything in the schems that could cause the scoring a 1000 points issue?

500-relay-G (resized).png500-relay-G (resized).png
G_blueyel_redyel (resized).jpgG_blueyel_redyel (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Good info. I think what you are seeing is that because E is being operated a 1000 bonus being scored and in doing so it is masking the 500 points. So we need to fond out why E is operating...

You can eliminate the I disc relay by unplugging it.

Check the contacts on the outlane switches highlighted in the schematic below. If they are not gapped correctly and bunched up they may cause E to operate when a drop target or rollover is hit.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

What the bleepin what, woz ?!? That was it. The left outlane rollover switch!!! The blade closest to the playfield was touching the middle one. I know this is all supposed to be logical and all, but I must say that I am deeply impressed. Would you mind walking me through what was happening here? Either way, massive thanks!

#28 6 years ago

Awesome - glad you found the problem!

The closed switch creates an alternate path for the E relay to operate either when Q operates (due to a rollover) or a drop target is hit. See the pics below for the paths.

Q Relay alternate path
Path 1 Capture (resized).JPGPath 1 Capture (resized).JPG

Drop target alternate path
Path 2 Capture (resized).JPGPath 2 Capture (resized).JPG

Normally when G operates on its own, the 100 point M relay is operated and scores 500. When E operates as well (incorrectly) a normally closed E contact interrupts the path to the M relay preventing it from operating. However, another E contact will now score the current bonus score instead (since that has priority over 500 scoring).
Path 3 Capture (resized).JPGPath 3 Capture (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago

Again, woz , thanks a million for the informative last post. I have learnt a lot in this thread, and I don't find EMs as intimidating as I did before embarking on this project. This picture makes it all worth it I think!

IMG-2701 (resized).JPGIMG-2701 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/abra-ca-dabra-drop-targets-not-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.