(Topic ID: 211305)

About to pickup my first pin and have a few dumb questions...

By Pinless

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinless.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I’m about to go and pickup a Maverick. The owner is not a pin person, and I’m new to this as well.

What’s the best way to move it? Head folded down? Or take it off? What tools do I need to take with me?

I have a truck or a 4Runner I can use to move it. There’s a slight chance of rain this afternoon so I’d prefer to use the 4R with the seats down. Plus it has a rear sliding stray that might make it easy to unload.

Also there’s no key, any issues without having it? I figured I could drill out the lock and replace it.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikat11:

Head down, legs off, all your tools.

Thanks. I have a lot of tools. It would be nice to narrow it down a little. Is there a common size of leg bolts? Special tool required to lay the head down?

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for all of the info!

With no key, is the only way to get the balls out involve drilling the lock and opening the coin door?

Will a typical 5/16” Allen key work, or does it have to be extra long?

#18 6 years ago

Let’s say there is some visible signs of corrosion, how much would you ask the seller to come off of the asking price?

I know there’s lots of variables here but just ballpark

#20 6 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

#21 6 years ago

Are there any unobtainium parts that I need to make sure are there and operable?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

I hope someone has a dolly or hand truck.
    Be sure someone knows how to unload the balls.
    Also I would pick up roll of shrink wrap to wrap head to body. Home depot. Lastly I would label the legs.
    Good luck.

It’s probably safe to say that neither of us know how to unload the balls.

Is there a trick to it once the lock is drilled out?

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

If the machine is not going to be upended onto its back and hand trucked, I wouldn't worry about getting inside it to remove the balls etc. until it was at my house. I would take the legs off and lower the backbox head. Data East so you need that allen key everyone is telling you about and a wrench for leg bolts. Then I would get it home and drill the lock etc. IMO if you and the other guy are not pin guys, I would not try to do all that stuff at his house. Best case scenario you take the balls out etc., but this is not the best case scenario.
    Make sure it works and welcome to the club!

Good points. I’ll just keep it horizontal and use padding between the head and then shrink wrap the whole thing.

I bought some 3 wheel dollies from HF and hope they make moving it a little easier

#37 6 years ago

Long story short the pin has a few issues, but the owner is going to have them all fixed before I pick it up. New locks, New rubbers, replace bulbs that are out, fix drop targets that aren’t working, etc...

Are LEDs worth a $150 upgrade for a maverick?

We spent an hour or so looking at his $15 million car collection! . 959, F40, GT40’s , 918s, Carrera GTs , GT350, GT3, GT2, Judge, etc........ I’ve never seen anything like it

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Enjoy and make sure to make room for pin #2

It’s funny you say that. I already got the green light to get AC/DC premium VE next month. We will soon be a 2 pin house.

MMr hopefully next year! I think I’ve contracted the pin addiction

#43 6 years ago

Supposedly the tech told the owner it would be $800-900 to get the Maverick up and running, so he’s decided not to sell it.

I have a feeling the tech made an “as is” offer and it was sold out from under me.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Welcome to pinball.
    Truthfully fixing them is half the fun. Buy it broken if the deal is reasonable. Plenty of help on here to assist you.

I tried but he said he can’t sell it. I don’t quite understand it, especially considering he’s a multimillionaire. What’s a few hundred dollars on a 25 year old broken pinball machine?

#47 6 years ago

I’m just going to go all out and buy NIB for our first machine. I don’t like playing these kind of games and having to check 10 different websites waiting for a decent pin to pop up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinless.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-to-pickup-my-first-pin-and-have-a-few-dumb-questions?tu=Pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.