Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone. This is a great site, glad I found it. Anyway, I've always wanted my own machine but never had the money. I'm kind of old school and I like open playfields and like hitting targets more than ramps , etc. Well I suddenly came into a little money, about $1500 and I want to buy my first pinball. I'm thinking of getting an Eightball Deluxe or Eightball Champ. I'm leaning towards the Champ because its typically less expensive than Deluxe and I think it's the one I just loved playing while in college. Seems the 8ball Champ typically goes for around $900 online but since I really know next to nothing I'm considering buying from a store and was quoted $1500-1800 from them. I know that is high but was thinking their shopping it and delivering it, not to mention it would have a 30 day warranty. I think these guys have a pretty good reputation although I know I am overpaying for the machine. Am I making a mistake getting the machine this way? Any suggestions? What should I look for or ask them about? Some people I know are telling me I will get bored quickly with this machine but since I can't afford Attack from Mars I thought I'd go with one that at one time I couldn't get enough of. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

#2 11 years ago

First off, welcome to pinside. You came to the right place. Your other avenue for buying a pin in great condition is from a serious collector who takes great care of his pins. Keep an eye on pinside and you will find a solid pin for the right price

#3 11 years ago

Welcome...

i wouldn't go that route, with the retailer, there is no real way to know if they actually do a good job or not...and mostly the 30 day service policy has a pile of exclusions....

especialy if they are not local to you... you can assume you will have NO warranty...

Machines are priced based on condition....and operation..

Post a few title options here WTB: "wanted to buy"...

Most everyone here will not stick in in your backside...

They will describe acurately and help ya out...

not to mention the price will be fair....

#4 11 years ago

Welcome to your new home! Get the champ for your 1st since you already know you like it, but shop around a bit first, or at least have a fellow pinsider go check that one out with you.

#5 11 years ago

Champ is a great game. I miss mine and would definite get another. I would never pay the prices you listed though.

Jsson

#6 11 years ago

I know you want to pull the trigger and score your 1st game- think we all did at one point,
    But I would wait for a pinball show and play a lot of games and hunt a little more.
    Unless you played 8 ball deluxe or champ way back when and now have to have it
    - good luck

#7 11 years ago

Welcome to the site. If you are getting a pinball be prepared to learn, it saves a lot of frustration. Be patient when buying your first machine, dont get caught up in the excitement of owning one. With $1500 you have a lot of options on what game to get, drop target games are a great start to your first machine. It would help if you could get someone who knows pinball but if you cant check the board for acid damage, hacks. Check for wear, broken plastics, flacking backglass. If you are going through the retailer was google the name or check on rec.games.pinball or here see if anything comes up.

#8 11 years ago

Try n make some local friends, and have them show you around a pinball machine. Lots of things to look for when buying depending on the machine. I know there's a few guys from MI around pinside.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I loved Champ way back then so I'm pretty sure I'd love it. What is a reasonable price for one that hopefully is good to go? I'd like to eventually be able to work on them myself but at this point I wouldn't know where to start. The store is local to me and they also deliver and set it up. How do you transport these things. Sorry for all the questions.

#10 11 years ago

Welcome to the forum! You have came to the right place.
    Make room for more pins because after the first pin, comes many more. It's a hobby that can get out of control!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from ronlisa:

Welcome to the forum! You have came to the right place.
    Make room for more pins because after the first pin, comes many more. It's a hobby that can get out of control!

I agree

#12 11 years ago

Eight Ball Champ should be in the $900-$1100 range for a good one and Deluxe should be in the $1500-$1700 range. You take the head off the game by taking the connectors off and bolts from the head, make sure you mark them or know how to connect them properly again. The legs come off and dont forget them. You make sure you take the ball out of the game so it does not damage anything in transport. In parts its still heavy but managable. if you are picking it up a cart is useful.

#13 11 years ago

Welcome, Miknan!

This site is a good place to check sales that have happened recently...

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/254

Also, check out the Archive link at the top of the pinside page.

Plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you out if your new pin developers any issues.

Merry Christmas!

#14 11 years ago

Have a Mati Hari Pin in great condition . New altec main board.It was one of my first pins now have 5 . Playfield is a 9 with no wear tru. Black glass is a 7 with some scratches and some pin holes . Only selling because no more room . Nice open Playfield with lots of targets and capture ball. Need $800 as got that much into it.check it out in reviews. Good luck with your hunt and would take a friend along that knows pins with you before you purchase. Sould easley be able to find a good pin for under $1000 .

#15 11 years ago

Welcome to pinside!

#16 11 years ago

Welcome!

#17 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Fishmugger, that looks like a very nice machine but isn't what I'm looking for. I'm really trying to figure out how I can scrape up another $3k and get AC/DC Pro but it ain't happening. Do you guys think that game will raise in price in the next few years? For now, I'm sticking to my $1500 or less plan. Just now I kind of want something a little more exciting than 8ball Champ. Maybe World Poker Tour...

#18 11 years ago

Welcome aboard!

#19 11 years ago

Welcome to pinside!

#20 11 years ago

Welcome to the asylum. Keep in mind there is no cure.

#21 11 years ago

If you can get to know some of the locals that would be the way to go. I think John Dayhuff is in Battle Creek, which isn't far from you. He has a very nice collection and would be a good person to buy from as well. Maybe some of the local folks will chime in and give you a hand in picking up your first game.

Dave

#22 11 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!! You came to the right place.

#23 11 years ago

You can get a lot of good games for $1500. Maybe a nice Jackbot? Or any System 11. ACDC pro is a great game but $4k is a lot for your first game.

#24 11 years ago

Anybody deal with Game Room Guys in Michigan? They seem to be fairly well known nationally.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miknan:

Anybody deal with Game Room Guys in Michigan? They seem to be fairly well known nationally.

They are excellent. Ask to speak to Jeff or Doug.

#26 11 years ago

They might be great......but holy crap are they overpriced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-to-get-my-first-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.