(Topic ID: 250950)

Data East Transformer issue. Please Help!

By jimgravina

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jimgravina
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0D39A33-698A-4FB2-AD14-D373136078CC (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I don't know what to do!

Quick back story, just got my first Pin...Data East Back To The Future and have been researching this forum about these machine to get a general sense of them. In the process of upgrading to LED's, and I already fixed a leaf switch that was not working.

I have the Data East Speaker Hum/Buzz that seems to plague these machines, and as a recommendation on this forum, I remove the power transformer to tighten the bolts going through the brackets. After tightening things up and installed it back in...only half of the machine works . All that I am getting are the G.I. lamps and nothing else is working or turning on.

Could I have blown a fuse? I hope to god the transformer didn't break ( I had taken it out last week just to take a look at things and everything was fine when I put it back in). Could it be anything else? Any way to test for what could be the problem?

I really so very upset right now and would appreciate any help. This machine was working great and is in very good condition...

Jim

#2 4 years ago

I’m sure you’ll get lots of good advice and will be playing very soon, BUT, why are you being so dramatic? About to cry? So very upset? This is nothing. When you are in the middle of the best game you ever had and a sling rubber breaks then you can be about to cry. Hope you get the pin up and running

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, don't worry. The professionals will be here shortly and can help you get this sorted out. At least you know it was working previously. That's a good start.

#4 4 years ago

Double check any connectors going to the transformer--make sure everything is tight and plugged in properly. If the game was working before you moved the transformer--chances are the problem is gonna be around the transformer (though the transformer itself is probably fine)

#5 4 years ago

Seriously, change thread title to something like ‘data east back to future-need help ‘ or something, then explain exactly what’s going on and ask specific questions to what you want to know. You will get a lot more feedback.

#6 4 years ago

It sounds like it could be a few things:

1. Make sure the transformer connections are snug.
2. Check all fuses to see if they're blown
3. Did you do anything in the backbox? If so, make sure you plugged the connectors in properly. I have more than once plugged a connector in one pin off to the right/left, which will cause some weird stuff to happen!

#7 4 years ago

Yep calm down. Unless there is smoke nothing is probably catastrophic. I blew a fuse by plugging in a connector upside down on my first game. Nothing a little inspecting and a week waiting for parts won't fix.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I’m sure you’ll get lots of good advice and will be playing very soon, BUT, why are you being so dramatic? About to cry? So very upset? This is nothing. When you are in the middle of the best game you ever had and a sling rubber breaks then you can be about to cry. Hope you get the pin up and running

He’s upset because he just got his first pin and is afraid that he royally screwed things up. I’m sure it’s something simple and easy to fix, but he doesn’t know that yet and is worried. When I got my first pin, I was terrified of the same thing. I had lots of problems, and each left me feeling depressed. Luckily, lots of supportive pinsiders helped me out, and I got better at things and more relaxed over time.

Hang in there jimgravina People will help, and you’ll figure it out and be up and running in no time.

#9 4 years ago

Test the fuses with a meter, don't look at them because many blown ones are not always obvious when you just look at them.

#11 4 years ago

This isn’t worth crying over.

Worth crying over: Spending $7500 on a machine and the clear chips on the first day.

Worth crying over: Sending $2000 to someone as a preorder on a machine and it never gets made and you lose your money.

Worth crying over: STTNG falls on you while adjusting the leg levelers.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Seriously, change thread title to something like ‘data east back to future-need help ‘ or something, then explain exactly what’s going on and ask specific questions to what you want to know. You will get a lot more feedback.

We really need to reinforce the “no clickbait thread titles” for 2020

#13 4 years ago

Chill out for starters. Take off the back glass. Does the 5V led light up on the MPU (the big main board that has 3 little red leds on it). Sounds like there is no 5 volts if there is no sound and no inserts lighting up. Check the fuses on the power supply as well as the connectors going from the transformer. Its highly unlikely you fried the transformer.

PS please chill with the drama, make a more descriptive title. If you don't smell burning, see smoke or hear a pop you likely didn't screw anything up.

PPS If you own a Data East, just live with the hum.

#14 4 years ago

Relax man, take a breath - it’s pinball.
Your flux capacitor is still fluxing.
D0D39A33-698A-4FB2-AD14-D373136078CC (resized).jpegD0D39A33-698A-4FB2-AD14-D373136078CC (resized).jpeg

#15 4 years ago

Ok ok maybe I was a little overwhelmed and exaggerated a bit and got a little carried away.

I am happy to report that I fixed the issue! Turns out one of the wires to the Molex connector broke off the pin! Just reconnected and all is fine!

Thanks for all your input. Wasn’t expecting so much advice so fast! Great group of people here!

Jim

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Ok ok maybe I was a little overwhelmed and exaggerated a bit and got a little carried away.
I am happy to report that I fixed the issue! Turns out one of the wires to the Molex connector broke off the pin! Just reconnected and all is fine!
Thanks for all your input. Wasn’t expecting so much advice so fast! Great group of people here!
Jim

Your welcome. Having a time machine helps.
We were all there that first time we F"D Up our machines. All those Delorean lights working in the back panel?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Your welcome. Having a time machine helps.
We were all there that first time we F"D Up our machines. All those Delorean lights working in the back panel?

Yes everything was working great! All lights, all coils, etc...that’s why I was a little disappointed when this first happened. And I’ve been in the middle of taking everything off the play field to clean so it was a moment of “all that work for nothing” but we are good now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-to-cry-please-help?hl=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.