(Topic ID: 142567)

About to buy LOTR any advice on what to look for?

By Thestrangebrewer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Aloha,
I'm getting ready to buy a used LOTR- actually, my business partner is- we have 7 machines already. and I know a little about fixing machines and what to look for, but not much... I'm much more familiar with them than he is, and there's no way I can check out the machine myself. Any advice for him when he goes to see it?
Thanks for the input.

#2 8 years ago

It will be kinda obvious but look out for wear around the flipper buttons if it doesn't have the lollipop rails .

Check for a broken funnel at the entrance to The Ring ( easily replaced but a bonus if intact ) .

Check for a broken / damaged "Arwen" plastic . It's the plastic below the exit of the Path of the Dead mini playfield on the left . It normally has a picture of Liv Tyler's face on it . ( Again , easily replaced , and there are options for protectors to install to prevent further damage ) .

Apart from that check for playfield wear etc.

Great game . One of Sterns best , if not the best .

#3 8 years ago

As above, also

Look for wear around the 2 scoops and the drop into Orthanc, cliffys are available for these
Check all LED's in the ring light board are working (3 elf, 7 dwarf, 9 men)
Check how smooth the Balrog runs back and forth and that its switches all work properly for opened and closed
Minor point but early (non-LE) models have lots of figures on, check they are there. Can get replacements on eBay

#4 8 years ago

make sure the magnet works in the ring.

#5 8 years ago

Check code to see if destroy the ring can be set to one ball. (under one of the menu options, new ROM allows this)

#6 8 years ago

Check to see if the Belrog light has the LED fix or is still using the original incandescent bulb. I didn't realize he was supposed to light up for the first month I owned it.

#7 8 years ago

Look for a 906 bulb behind the back of the playfield directed towards the back left of the ring. It's timed to flash as activated by the spinner. It's usually a dead bulb due to it's location.

#8 8 years ago

I appreciate yall's input- We're going to check it out tomorrow.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Look for a 906 bulb behind the back of the playfield directed towards the back left of the ring. It's timed to flash as activated by the spinner. It's usually a dead bulb due to it's location.

I think mine is dead now that you mention it.

#10 8 years ago

There's also a flasher behind the tower on the right. Flashes in the shape of an eye.

#11 8 years ago

No acid damage on whitestar CPU

#12 8 years ago

Make sure that the Orthanc diverter gate is not stuck. The manual is a bit confusing as to how to make adjustments.

#13 8 years ago

check to make sure it can reach valinor. I have had my machine for over 2 years and have yet to see it. I am sure my machine is broken.

#14 8 years ago

I really like this game, but it can suck if the palantir target causes airballs. Check for that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ball-hitting-glass-off-the-palantir-target

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

It's also commonly pulled out or burnt out by the magnet, suggest replacing with an LED and use some hot glue to keep it in place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-to-buy-lotr-any-advice-on-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.