E9lnYUU (resized).jpg
20160902_030341 (resized).jpg
IMG_4259 (resized).JPG
LOTR_O-R-C_Multipiers_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
CaptureKISS_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
whatcha-gonna-code_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#238 8 years ago

Well this is a subject many of us feel pretty strongly about that is for sure. What I think some at Stern are missing is that often players that play on location look for fun and complete code now days. The Pinball community has changed dramatically in the past 5 years and many that play on location are not just casual players some actually own pins. So no matter if it's in a home or on location fun & complete code encourages people to pay to play and/or possibly buy a pin from your company in the future.

Many of us know it can be frustrating to buy a pin for 4700-7800 and have to wait a year or longer to get complete/polished code. Kiss sold well and although there has been updates provided it still feels a long way from how fun it could be with well thought out complete code. I am a big fan of Stern and it does seem like they are becoming more committed to providing us fans with well designed complete code. That is a good thing! Please know that while many of us would like some things improved we are still fans/buyers. We are not against you we are with you.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

This is just my opinion of course. But I feel stern is doing a much better job in recent years about addressing code updates. Are they perfect? No but they are doing a much better job.

Quoted from smassa:

If it takes a few months to get there id say it's worth the wait.

I agree it has gotten better and GOT is ahead of schedule compared to many other releases. I hope Stern stays committed to providing solid code for their pins. I don't mind waiting months for a game to get to a point where it feels like it has a complete rule set. It's in the six months to a year range in which I would say it is taking too long to get to buyers of these pins.

#264 8 years ago

Sometimes it's easy to focus on the negative things especially on a forum like this. Overall this thread is a positive thing it demonstrates that Stern knows we care about the code on our pins and are dedicated to updating/finishing code on all their new releases. I'm glad Stern is making an effort not only to put out awesome code but also communicate with the community to let us know that it's important to them because they know it's important to us.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from policano:

I think Stern is doing a great job with updates and I am happy when a new one is released. I will tell you it has very little impact on the coin box. 90% of players are casual and choose a game based on theme. Pinball players will never understand that.

Perhaps it's different where you live but where I do a lot of pinheads play location games and even have leagues on location. I'd argue that if the pinheads did not go out n play location pins in some locations there would be little use of actually routing pins there. Code does matter on location pins IMO.

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If he catered to players like me primarily he would be broke. Sure code matters to a certain extent, but the players are going to play regardless because they love pinball.

I don't buy it man. If serious pinballers did not play his or location machines operators would see a noticeable loss in profit. No real way to prove either view point so I guess we'd just be talking in circles. I respect everyone's opinions even if I disagree though.

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Most bars/ pinball needs some of both, but if you cater to only the player you will not make it.

I agree. What I disagreed with is that pinball fans don't play on location and code did not matter. If I think code stinks on a certain pin I will not spend a dime on it in the wild. So while code will encourage pinball addicts to pay to play or even buy the pin I don't think having good code will deter a casual player from playing. What I was getting at is having solid code on pins even in the wild can only help and not hurt.

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes this exactly ^^^^^^^ Xmen still has bugs and Stern promised another update after the last one to polish it up and get rid of the bugs, but that update never came. If they are going to spend time on Avengers they should finish Xmen off as well.

While I agree an update to clear up small bugs is needed I must say XM has one of the best deep rule sets out there.

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...my wife tells me the same thing. That's bullshit, too.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

3 months later
#739 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You can't have played X-men just after its release then. I did - never owned it, but was fortunate enough to play one of the first games. I swear you can't start to imagine Stern did not know they were shipping a game with crippled code. It was a shame really.

I think this played a huge role in why XM was poorly received. I bought an XM Pro early on and the code it shipped with made the pin pretty much unplayable. That and all the hardware issues the LEs had. If it shipped with solid code and no hardware issues I think they would of sold enough to warrant running a Premium model. Cool theme and fun layout/design. It was a real shame and missed opportunity IMO. Code ended up being awesome and fit the theme perfectly but boy did it take a long time to get there.

#745 8 years ago

I believe supplying solid code on all current releases is important and will become even more important to sales in the future. Pin makers today seem to understand this and that is exactly why time and resources are dedicated solely to code fun/complete games.

I don't think today's market is anything like the market of the past. In the past it may have been mostly 'hard core' players that cared about the code. However, in today's market dominated by home use machines when owners dedicate so much money on a pin they want to be wowed and they notice when something is lacking. Perhaps dedicating so much $ to pins for our homes in itself makes us 'hard core' fans/addicts

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases?tu=the_dude_abides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.