E9lnYUU (resized).jpg
20160902_030341 (resized).jpg
IMG_4259 (resized).JPG
LOTR_O-R-C_Multipiers_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
CaptureKISS_(resized).JPG
Capture_(resized).JPG
whatcha-gonna-code_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Do Microsoft and Apple operating systems ship with finished code? Do Sony or Microsoft console games ship with finished code? Does any software anywhere ship with finished code? ALL of the software I use get updates, most of the console games I get receive some updates and the consoles themselves get constant updates. These days nothing is ever 'complete'.....even if it does stop getting updated.

It is true that code is never actually finished, it's more about a measure of completion of an intended feature set... that's what Stern tends to lag behind on.

1) Microsoft and Apple operating systems do ship with completed code. In other words all functionality is there from the get go. 2) They also release bug fixes and security patches for many years afterwards but rarely new features. New features are for a new major OS release, which would be the equivalent of an entirely different Stern game.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

This statement however rubs me the wrong way "if you don't like it, don't buy it" because of the FOMO LE model Stern runs. You force people to either buy games before they can even play them and then leave them unsupported, or people wait and then can't get one. Your current model basically screws early adopters for a year or more usually, and anyone who waits for the code usually ends up empty handed. How am I supposed to know if I like it if your LE model is primarily based on the premise that I have to buy it before I can play it since they usually sell out?

+1. "Limited editions" and even more limited runs of Premiums that stop before the code is complete make this, at best, conflicting advice from Stern.

#482 8 years ago

Wow, I've only read half the thread, and based on the general reaction, Stern has a long way to go. Yes, there is tangible progress made by Stern, but it's apparent they have a longer road ahead than they believe. Talk is cheap...."show us the code!"

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Stern really doesn't have a long way to go. They are currently the only game in town. Some may reply: "Wait til Spooky/Heighway/JJP starts pumping out multiple titles!", but as of now, no other company has proven that they are capable of producing multiple titles each year.

I don't think the thread is about competition... Stern has a tendency to leave code unfinished, or best case scenario take 1.5 years to finish so by the time someone says "yes this is a finally a good game" Stern has sold out of LE's, stopped producing Premiums, and in some cases has stopped running even Pro models. It's a shitty way to do business, and they are trying to fix it.

The question left is simple: "show me the code!" XM unfinished, IM has a few blatant leftovers that that Stern didn't even bother addressing when they came out with the VE, etc, and so forth. When we see games coded by someone besides Lyman getting polished off, then we can say Stern as a company has actually made progress.

2 months later
#682 8 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Stern does NOT need to be micro-managed by Pinside, they don't owe anything here.
They tried to communicate some, and the bitterness and negativity ran them away.

I agree with most of what you said... Stern has done quite a bit to resolve software issues, so the large chunk of complaints in this thread are not as relevant today as they were a few years ago... some people just can't move past it.

An important point to consider... if Stern actually refocuses to deliver games with finished code from the outset, their business will no longer be setup to apply user feedback to rules updates. It is an advantage Stern has over the B/W days where operators got what they got, and everyone accepted it.

Back to your comment, I'll just say this: over half of Stern's sales today is to collectors. The LE is marketed as a collectors game. Pinside is the world wide focal point for pinball collectors. As such it's too harsh to say that Stern doesn't owe anything to Pinsiders, it represents their core customer base. It is a tough place for manufacturers to participate, and Robin has received many suggestions to make it more vendor friendly. I hope he can implement some of them.

1 month later
#740 8 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

Stern isn't in business to satisfy the handful of Pinsiders that are going to complain about code no matter what they do, they are in business for the other 98% that really don't care and can simply enjoy the game. Every game stern ships is perfectly playable and will get updates over time to get better/deeper/more fleshed out.

Stern is wasting their time with deep rulesets because only 2% of their customers care about it?

#747 8 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

I most certainly did not say that, I said they are doing what any smart business should. Prioritize. If they put 80% of their resources to satisfy 2% of the customers that's really dumb business. If it's the other way around and they put 20% to satisfying the 2% other pins make it out the door on schedule and satisfy the vast majority but the more detailed updates take a little longer for the hardcore. In the end everyone's happy, albeit not as quickly as a select group would like it to be. That clarify what i'm trying to say?

I agree that 2% of the customers will never be happy, but far more than 2% care about a deep and complete ruleset. More realistically we are talking about 10-20% resource effort to satisfy 10-20% of customers, which is a justifiable business expense... and Stern largely executes on it. This thread tends to be complaints about games have that 1 bug, or that 1 unfinished mode, or that 1 rule that needs really tweaking but Stern will never fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 103.00
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 49.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.